Author Topic: Hello, trying new things!  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Hello, trying new things!
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:12:27 am »
Hello, My name is Megan and after years of being Vegan, I've stumbled upon the idea of this diet.

About two years ago, I decided to go vegan, however it wasn't because I was concerned about my health, it was for the animals. I had found Peta2 (whom I no longer support) and became a Vegan, and began to support them. Over the next years, I began to get fairly weak. My weight dropped to a featherlight 95 pounds and I began to worry. My bones felt frail, and my teeth became incredibly sensitive, and my hair began to fall out. I scrambled to get my health back in line and began trying to eat "properly" which included a lot of tofu, beans, highly cooked and processed foods. Though my health improved little, I felt it was a huge victory at the time.

Within the last months of my veganism, I began to have huge cravings for raw meat, particularly beef. I fought the cravings, trying to find reasons for why I craved such food that I considered to be "taboo" until I just couldn't stand it anymore. I broke down, bought a bunch of raw meat (steaks, fish, oysters, other such things) and ate all of it within two days.

Surprisingly, I felt better. I began to research my odd cravings and behavior and found I wasn't the only one who had eaten raw meat, and that it was common amongst Eskimos and others.

Since then, I've been eating about 50/50 as far as raw food goes. I can't go 100% raw, however, my mom doesn't approve, and I have to eat raw meat behind her back, but all that matters is that I feel better, I'm healthier, and I can take a few steps for my own health. Until then, I'm 50/50 till I move out. =]

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Hello, trying new things!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:23:42 am »
Welcome to the forum Megan.
Sounds like you're definitely on the right track with your diet. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:24:20 am »
Welcome !

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:46:18 am »
welcome! pretty cool that you had such a strong urge to eat raw meat without even knowing there was a raw paleo diet. kudos to your instincts!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:04 am »
Your instincts served you well, young padawan.  ;)
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:12:07 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I'm surprised that you managed to go straight from cooked vegan to raw-meat-eating. Usually, people go raw vegan first because it's easier to get used to raw meat by that stage and because during the raw vegan phase they start learning about the dangers of cooked foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 12:22:07 am »
Welcome to the forum! I'm surprised that you managed to go straight from cooked vegan to raw-meat-eating. Usually, people go raw vegan first because it's easier to get used to raw meat by that stage and because during the raw vegan phase they start learning about the dangers of cooked foods.

I was actually surprised as well when I heard people found it difficult to get used to the taste. I think it was easier for me, though, because of how deficient I was in nutrients.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 11:32:15 am »
...Within the last months of my veganism, I began to have huge cravings for raw meat, particularly beef. I fought the cravings, trying to find reasons for why I craved such food that I considered to be "taboo" until I just couldn't stand it anymore. I broke down, bought a bunch of raw meat (steaks, fish, oysters, other such things) and ate all of it within two days. ...
This is similar to the story of the guy stranded on the ocean who ate just raw fish muscle meat and then developed cravings for eyes and organs, finding them to taste sweet. The TV program said he ate them because they tasted sweet, even though he had never enjoyed organs before, suggesting that he tried them out of desperation and found them to taste sweet (because his brain chemicals altered the taste to make sure he consumed enough). However, I wondered whether his brain signaled to him to eat the fish eyes, rather than him randomly trying them out of desperation. In other words, is there some sort of built-in instinctive mechanism in the brain that kicks in during survival mode that can signal to us what to try, not just make needed nutrients taste good?

Had you eaten raw meats and seafood in the past and enjoyed them, or did your brain signal you to eat something you had never tried before?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 11:25:44 pm »
I had never eaten raw meats in the past. It seemed that my instincts just kicked in and told me to try them. Though, since I've quit veganism, wouldn't my taste for raw meats go away? My blood tests come out normal these days so I can't be in survival mode anymore.

Wasn't that guy on "The Human Body: Pushing the Limits"? I saw that in my Biology II class yesterday. Its amazing what the brain can influence.

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 11:59:24 pm »
since I've quit veganism, wouldn't my taste for raw meats go away?

Not as long as your brain is telling you to eat nourishing foods, I would think. It would seem that it would be the opposite - they would become even more appealing now that you've needed and used them. However, it will be interesting to see what happens in that regard.

Congratulations on bringing yourself back to health !!!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 05:23:00 am »
I had never eaten raw meats in the past. It seemed that my instincts just kicked in and told me to try them. Though, since I've quit veganism, wouldn't my taste for raw meats go away? My blood tests come out normal these days so I can't be in survival mode anymore.

Wasn't that guy on "The Human Body: Pushing the Limits"? I saw that in my Biology II class yesterday. Its amazing what the brain can influence.
Your experience is truly fascinating, thanks for sharing.

I would think the taste might become less remarkably fantastic once the deficiencies are resolved, but I wouldn't expect meat to then become untasty, no.

Yes, that's the show. It suggested that taste was what drove him, but my sister told me that he actually felt driven to eat the fish eyes and guts before he knew they would taste good. I'll have to ask her about that. Can anyone explain how the brain would apparently instinctively know that the body should eat eyes, guts or meat without taste or consumption experience to inform it?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 05:31:28 am »
Perhaps its instinct that's been built into us to know where nutrients are commonly located on an animal? Its a stretch, but quite possible.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 08:35:52 am »
I know someone who has a fascinating hypothesis on this. She thinks that the cells of the body are self-aware and aware of each other and of what they need. She came up with the idea when she learned of people who receive organ transplants and suddenly display new behaviors similar to those of the donors.

I have heard seen news reports along these lines too--that the human mind is not constrained completely and discretely within the brain. Recently scientists have found that it is spread throughout the body's neural system and non-brain parts of it have more brain-like powers than previously were imagined. One scientist even said that instead of a single, simple individual, a human being should be looked upon as a complex community of cells and organisms working together (or sometimes conflicting--as in the case of chronic diseases). Some people would probably find that radical notion upsetting, but I find it fascinating.

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 04:37:02 am »
Thats a very interesting theory, PaleoPhil. I've never heard of it but I will definately research it. Honestly, to be able to do some of the things our body does, I would think that our cells would have to have some sort of awareness.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 09:56:09 am »
Greetings. It's refreshing to read about someone trying this diet for taste and not for the reasons I usually try things, which are endless research and obsession with "the best." Still though, raw meat does taste good.

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 01:06:11 am »
I just have to say this is one of the best message boards I have ever been on.  Its well organized and people seem to know what they're talking about. You're all also very open minded, something I did not see much of on many of the vegan/vegetarian boards I had been on in the past.

All in all, I'm quite impressed. =]

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 04:53:44 am »
Thanks, Megan. Those are some of the things that attracted me to this board.

My experience with vegan/vegetarian boards unfortunately matches yours, though there are some open minded vegans/vegetarians, of course.

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 09:24:33 am »
There are but open minded Vegan/veg. Boards seem to be few and far between.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk