Author Topic: Vive la France!  (Read 14178 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Vive la France!
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:57 pm »
Time and time again, France comes up in relation to nearly all-things raw and Paleo. So I decided to start a thread dedicated to one of the most raw-Paleo of modern, Western nations.

Rousseau: The Beginning?

I'll start from the beginning (1762): while I'm sure he was inspired by earlier influences, Jean Jacques Rousseau is the earliest public proponent of a "primitive" diet among modern Westerners that I'm aware of. Rousseau's views were remarkably similar to those of the later Instincto movement (I wonder if the pioneers of Instincto were inspired in part by Rousseau?), except that Rousseau thought that meats should be grilled.

Rousseau believed that “primitive” man had actually had a less brutish society than did the Englishmen of the Civil War described in Hobbes’ Leviathan (it was these agrarian Englishmen whose lives Hobbes described as "nasty, brutish and short"--not the lives of "savages"!).  Though anthropologists and Paleoanthropologists would later find much evidence to support Rousseau, when his book Emile: or, On Education was published in 1762 it was condemned by the archbishop of Paris and publicly burned.

Tantalyzlingly glimpsing some of the truth and foreshadowing the rise of Instincto eating two centuries later in France, Rousseau recommended a natural “pure diet” that he thought was the most primitive and he argued in Emile that...

"The further we remove from a natural mode of living the more we lose our natural tastes….  

It follows from this that the most natural tastes ought also to be the simplest, for it is they which are most easily transformed; while by being sharpened and inflamed by whims, they get a form which can no longer be changed. ….

Our first food is [breast] milk. We get accustomed to strong flavors only by degrees; at first they are repugnant to us. Fruits, vegetables, herbs, and finally some meats grilled without seasoning and without salt constituted the feasts of the first men. … The most common repugnances are to composite dishes.”

Unfortunately, Rousseau has since been co-opted by raw vegans who ironically look more to herbivorous mountain gorillas and frugivorous primates than primitive peoples for inspiration. Here's hoping that the Instincto movement reclaims Rousseau.

Sources:

Emile; or On Education, Book II, 1762, p. 151.

History of education: a survey of the development of educational theory and Practice in Ancient, Medieval and Modern Times, By Patrick Joseph McCormick, The Catholic Education Press, 1915, p. 314.

The French Demand to Know Where Their Food Originates

Roger Cohen, a New York Times columnist, recently traveled to France, and offers fresh insight into food safety and the reality of live food for people who want to be healthy. In stark contrast to Americans’ preference to have their food arrived pre-packaged, he writes, “the French don’t believe what they’re eating is genuine unless they’ve seen gritty proof of provenance. …”

Later in his column, he concludes, ”The American healthcare debate is skewed. It should be devoting more time to changing U.S. culinary and eating habits in ways that cut the need for expensive care by reducing rampant obesity, to which anxiety, haste and disconnectedness contribute. France has much to teach, guts and all. ”

Here’s the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/opinion/31iht-edcohen.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Op-Ed%20Columnist:%20%20Advantage%20France%20&st=cse

Source: http://bakewellrepro.com/ruminations/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:09:51 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Vive la France!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 06:23:24 pm »
Numerous points:-

1) Posting about that idiot Rousseau is something of an own goal. Not only because his absurd Noble Savage notions have been thoroughly debunked on this board numerous times(re frequent examples of cannibalism/human sacrifice etc. etc. among primitive tribes both in palaeo and Neolithic times), but there is a very good reason why Rousseau is more representative of the raw vegan movement than us or zero-carbers. Here's a relevant quotation of his, there are more from the same link:-

"One of the proofs that the taste of flesh is not natural to man is the indifference which children exhibit for that sort of meat, and the preference they all give to vegetable foods, such as milk-porridge, pastry, fruits, &c. It is of the last importance not to denaturalise them of this primitive taste (de ne pas dénaturer ce goût primitif), and not to render them carnivorous, if not for health reasons, at least for the sake of their character. For, however the experience may be explained, it is certain that great eaters of flesh are, in general, more cruel and ferocious than other men. This observation is true of all places and of all times. English coarseness is well known (1). The Gaures, on the contrary, are the gentlest of men. All savages are cruel, and it is not their morals that urge them to be so; this cruelty proceeds from their food. They go to war as to the chase, and treat men as they do bears. Even in England the butchers are not received as legal witnesses any more than surgeons (2). Great criminals harden themselves to murder by drinking blood (3). Homer represents the Cyclopes, who were flesh-eaters, as frightful men, and the Lotophagi [lotus-eatersj as a people so amiable that as soon as one had any dealings with them, one straightway forgot everything, and one's country, to live with them."

http://www.ivu.org/history/williams/rousseau.html

2) Claiming the French are symbolic of healthy diets is mostly wrong. Sure, it's true that the French are fanatic about raw cheeses and raw oysters and a few other raw animal foods, but, if you'd read some of the recent articles on French health, you might have noticed that the French are one of the most enthusiastic customers of McDonald's and other fast-food joints in Europe, which is why the usual brasseries etc. are not doing as well - it is also unsurprising that French health is declining in tandem. So much for the myth that French women are mostly  supposedly thinner and healthier than elsewhere.

3) This highly controversial topic should have been put in the hot topics forum. I'll do that now.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:20:36 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

alphagruis

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:50:48 pm »

1) Posting about that idiot Rousseau is something of an own goal. Not only becasue his absurd Noble Savage notions have been thoroughly debunked on this board numerous times(re frequent examples of cannibalism/human sacrifice etc. etc. among primitive tribes both in palaeo and Neolithic times)

You're very funny indeed, Tyler.

When I saw Paleophil's post I immediately knew, aie aie aie... that your reaction was going to be similar to the well known one in Spanish bull-fighting, namely the one of "el toro" in the face of "la muletta".

You label Rousseau as an "idiot" because for instance of his, according to you, so-called "Noble Savage" notions. Yet you're merely at odds with what Rousseau really put forward. Did you really take a little bit of your time and read him?

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Jacques_Rousseau

In common with other philosophers of the day, Rousseau looked to a hypothetical State of Nature as a normative guide. Rousseau deplores Hobbes for asserting that since man in the "state of nature . . . has no idea of goodness he must be naturally wicked; that he is vicious because he does not know virtue". On the contrary, Rousseau holds that "uncorrupted morals" prevail in the "state of nature" and he especially praised the admirable moderation of the Caribbeans in expressing the sexual urge[15] despite the fact that they live in a hot climate, which "always seems to inflame the passions".[16] This has led Anglophone critics to erroneously attribute to Rousseau the invention of idea of the noble savage, an oxymoronic expression that was never used in France[17] and which grossly misrepresents Rousseau's thought.[18] (The expression, "the noble savage" was first used in 1672 by British poet John Dryden in his play The Conquest of Granada. The French word "sauvage" means "wild", as in "a wild flower", and does not have the connotations of fierceness or brutality that the word "savage" does in English, though in the eighteenth century the English word was closer in connotation to the French one.) Rousseau did deny that morality is a construct or creation of society. He considered it as "natural" in the sense of "innate", an outgrowth of man's instinctive disinclination to witness suffering, from which arise the emotions of compassion or empathy, sentiments whose existence even Hobbes acknowledged, and which are shared with animals.[19]
Contrary to what his many detractors have claimed, Rousseau never suggests that humans in the state of nature act morally; in fact, terms such as "justice" or "wickedness" are inapplicable to pre-political society as Rousseau understands it. Morality proper, i.e., self restraint, can only develop through careful education in a civil state. Humans "in a state of Nature" may act with all of the ferocity of an animal. They are good only in a negative sense, insofar as they are self-sufficient and thus not subject to the vices of political society. In fact, Rousseau's natural man is virtually identical to a solitary chimpanzee or other ape, such as the orangutan as described by Buffon; and the "natural" goodness of humanity is thus the goodness of an animal, which is neither good nor bad. Rousseau, a deteriorationist, proposed that, except perhaps for brief moments of balance, at or near its inception, when a relative equality among men prevailed, human civilization has always been artificial, creating inequality, envy, and unnatural desires.

End of quote

Isn't it possible to consider quietly without prejudice what our famous predecessors really said without unnecessarily offending them?

I certainly don't agree with many thoughts of Rousseau or many others, philosophers or even scientists . That doesn't mean that I consider that nothing can be learned from them.

This reminds me of your similar angry reaction against Dr. Weston Price.

Well all our famous predecessors, even the most famous ones such as Newton, Einstein or Darwin are now proven to have been quite wrong in some parts of their works or thoughts....

Do you really think seriously that this means they were all just "liers" or "idiots" ?      

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:49:24 pm »
You're very funny indeed, Tyler.

When I saw Paleophil's post I immediately knew, aie aie aie... that your reaction was going to be similar to the well known one in Spanish bull-fighting, namely the one of "el toro" in the face of "la muletta".

Yes, that was the exact same image that came to mind when I saw that post. Honestly.

You label Rousseau as an "idiot" because for instance of his, according to you, so-called "Noble Savage" notions. Yet you're merely at odds with what Rousseau really put forward. Did you really take a little bit of your time and read him?

I've read about him in the past. Incidentally, Voltaire , a rather more respectable figure in history, accused Rousseau of wanting Mankind to go back on all fours, back to primitivism. The real problem was that Rousseau believed in physical impossibilities such as equality which is  not natural,by definition.

Incidentally, the claim Rouseau made that man was not inherently moral or  immoral is meaningless. I mean he is suggesting that we should be amoral like animals, but that, in itself, is merely a different kind of morality, IMO.

My main grudge against the whole Noble Savage mythos which Rouseau (directly or indirectly) contributed to is that it has led to WAPF followers mindlessly following the diets of varied hunter-gatherers, despite the fact that these were neolithic in origin and not palaeo at all, in most cases, and often unhealthy. Also, there is the unmistakable notion that somehow HGs lived lives of eternal bliss and animal-like amorality and were "better" than us. I think we settled peoples have  made some rather impressive improvements, ourselves re technology. And I don't see HG-sympathisers exactly converting wholeheartedly to anarcho-primitivism.

This reminds me of your similar angry reaction against Dr. Weston Price.

Well all our famous predecessors, even the most famous ones such as Newton, Einstein or Darwin are now proven to have been quite wrong in some parts of their works or thoughts....

Do you really think seriously that this means they were all just "liers" or "idiots" ?      

I have never claimed that Weston-Price was 100% wrong. It's just that where (most of) WP's and other WAPFers' writings clash with numerous accounts from other explorers/scientists etc., the former tend to be revealed as either fraudulent or completely wrong(eg;- the Pottenger experiment feeding cats on raw cows' milk which is not a natural diet for cats). I have no issues with the focus on organ-meats, albeit raw, and a few other topics.

I suppose my disagreement also arises because of my loathing of illogical New-Age culture which is related to the whole Noble Savage notions. I mean, I almost quit going in for RVAF diets when I started reading Aajonus' dubious  account of those coyotes feeding him raw meat in the wild, and those mentions of that Native American Chief who "tutored" him in raw meat diets,  I realised we'd  be a laughing-stock if we all took these things at face-value.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:58:07 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:49:43 am »
Meh, I don't care if you don't appreciate France, Tyler. I do. This thread is meant to be a tribute to France, not a bashing of it. It is no accident that Instincto developed in France.

I also don't care if Rousseau was not perfect and I know he was criticized heavily in his time (for heaven's sake--his book was burned--didn't you notice that I wrote that?). He was an early contributor to the Instincto/Paleo timeline. It's easy for us to find fault with his errors today, given that we are advantaged by the fields of modern anthropology, Paleoanthropology, archaeology, and evolutionary biology that were not fully developed in his time (Darwin wasn't even born yet). Science is not about perfection--it's about asking questions and continually learning and adding to knowledge. Instincto also has its vegan elements, but it has its meat-eating elements too. The key point you're missing entirely, but which Alphagruis seems to get, is that Rousseau was one of the earliest prominent Westerners in modern times to recognize that older (more "primitive") diets are better. He didn't get the optimal foods right, but he got the broader concept right. My guess is that our French comrades probably understand this. If Rousseau did not influence the development of Instincto or Paleo-type eating at all, I'm sure they'll let me know. BTW, by coincidence Dr. Cordain recently mentioned the contribution of Rousseau, which made me think of him again. So at least two other people have noticed the connection (Alphagruis and Cordain).

When I first read about Instincto at BeyondVeg.com and elsewhere, it sounded a bit strange, I must admit. But I have learned much from our Instincto members here and it does not seem as different from RPD and Paleo as I initially thought.

While the Paleolithic era was no utopia, the extremely negative views of it of Voltaire and others before the advent of Paleoanthropology were ridiculously exaggerated, were based largely on speculation (since the science of Paleoanthropology had not fully developed yet--which makes Rousseau's insights all the more astounding) and no thinking person can take them seriously. Surely even you can see that talk of "all fours" is nonsense, Tyler. (See below for more on this topic.)

This is a raw PALEO forum. Here I celebrate Paleo things. If I want to celebrate modern technology I do that at a techy forum, or enjoy a science fiction book/tv show/movie, etc.

Vive la France, I still say. I agree that this is a hot topic because France is hot (especially les jolie femmes)!  :D

Tyler, maybe I should ask you, who do you regard in the 17th century as NOT being an idiot about diet, health and lifestyle, and as promoting a precursor of RPD thinking? Comparing Rousseau to today's knowledge is not fair. Who among his contemporaries do you see as precursors to RPD? If they are good I would be eager to add them to the timeline I'm creating.

Who else has noticed that France keeps popping up time and again when one researches and discusses RPD and Paleo in general, in addition to Alphagruis et moi?

---------

On the topic of the ridiculously negative stereotypes of the Stone Age, such as the "all fours" nonsense, there is this that posted today (of course, Diamond is not one of Tyler's favorites, so I'm sure he'll try to skewer it--but perhaps others will enjoy it):

Stone Age Mercies
Posted on 12/01/09 at 10:20pm by EmergingMarkets
http://www.benzinga.com/49676/stone-age-mercies

Jurek Martin, writing in today’s Financial Times about the parallels between America’s deepening military commitment to Afghanistan and LBJ’s escalation of the Vietnam War nearly 45 years ago, says “Hillary Clinton, as secretary of state, is known not to want to leave Afghan women to the stone-age mercies of the Taliban again.”

This is terribly unfair to the Stone Age.

Life for Stone Age women was probably no picnic, but it may have been no worse than men’s lives of the time. Anthropologist Jared Diamond cites archaeological evidence that the introduction of agriculture, in addition to spreading disease and lowering life expectancy for both sexes, increased inequality between the sexes, sharpening the sexual division of labor and forcing women into almost constant pregnancy to produce more hands to till the fields. Women in many agricultural societies were, and  – you can see this in many parts of Africa and Asia today – still are made beasts of burden, forced to carry heavy loads of water , firewood, and grain. Other evidence suggests that women of the Upper Paleolithic period enjoyed substantial sexual freedom, while artistic objects and funeral sites also indicate that women were held in high esteem, especially in religion, in which many shamans were women and fertility goddess cults abounded.

None of this can be proven, of course, but on all evidence your average burqa-clad Afghan woman would be far better off trading  21st century Kandahar for life as a member of a Stone Age band of hunter-gatherers.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:19:22 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:23:26 pm »
Here is another Frenchman to celebrate in the evolution of raw Paleo/Primitive diets:

Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755 to 1826) published The Physiology of Taste in 1825. Brillat-Savarin identified bread, rice, potatoes and sugar (all modern, cooked and/or refined foods) as the worst villains behind obesity and recommended “more or less rigid abstinence from everything that is starchy or floury.” Wikipedia says his book “has not been out of print since it first appeared."

Three more cheers for France! Feel free to add your own French heroes/important contributors/or even villains. I know of some Instincto gurus, but I'll let the Instincto folks who are here handle those, as I'm sure they know much more than I do.

Hmmm, maybe I should have timed this thread with Bastille Day or something. Oh well--I was so fascinated by all the connections between RPD and France I couldn't hold it in any more--sorry.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:34:22 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 07:57:42 pm »
Meh, I don't care if you don't appreciate France, Tyler. I do. This thread is meant to be a tribute to France, not a bashing of it. It is no accident that Instincto developed in France.

Well, first stop making false assumptions. I , for one , am a very big fan of France as I am of Norman and Breton descent, plus I'm also a big fan of numerous French figures such as Voltaire, Jules Verne and  Napoleon(really an Italian due to his parents!) among many others. As for Instincto, I wouldn't praise it too much if I were you - given my own fluency in French I was able to ascertain that Guy-Claude Burger, the main Instincto guru, was jailed in France for starting a cult and for having sex with an underage girl - while the latter undoubtedly was very "instinctive"(lol) , it is a practice currently frowned upon in modern society.

I also don't care if Rousseau was not perfect and I know he was criticized heavily in his time (for heaven's sake--his book was burned--didn't you notice that I wrote that?). He was an early contributor to the Instincto/Paleo timeline. It's easy for us to find fault with his errors today, given that we are advantaged by the fields of modern anthropology, Paleoanthropology, archaeology, and evolutionary biology that were not fully developed in his time (Darwin wasn't even born yet). Science is not about perfection--it's about asking questions and continually learning and adding to knowledge. Instincto also has its vegan elements, but it has its meat-eating elements too. The key point you're missing entirely, but which Alphagruis seems to get, is that Rousseau was one of the earliest prominent Westerners in modern times to recognize that older (more "primitive") diets are better. He didn't get the optimal foods right, but he got the broader concept right. My guess is that our French comrades probably understand this. If Rousseau did not influence the development of Instincto or Paleo-type eating at all, I'm sure they'll let me know. BTW, by coincidence Dr. Cordain recently mentioned the contribution of Rousseau, which made me think of him again. So at least two other people have noticed the connection (Alphagruis and Cordain).
If Rousseau had anything to do with "natural" diets, it was purely minimal. You might also recall that Rousseau was the originator of Socialism/Communism due to his ridiculous notions of equality, so is rather a Satanic figure in history.

When I first read about Instincto at BeyondVeg.com and elsewhere, it sounded a bit strange, I must admit. But I have learned much from our Instincto members here and it does not seem as different from RPD and Paleo as I initially thought.

Correct. Instincto forbids the very same foods that a rawpalaeodiet forbids.Indeed, technically, an Instincto could still be raw, zero-carb if that is what he wished.

While the Paleolithic era was no utopia, the extremely negative views of it of Voltaire and others before the advent of Paleoanthropology were ridiculously exaggerated, were based largely on speculation (since the science of Paleoanthropology had not fully developed yet--which makes Rousseau's insights all the more astounding) and no thinking person can take them seriously. Surely even you can see that talk of "all fours" is nonsense, Tyler. (See below for more on this topic.)

I can only quote Voltaire's most appropriate comments on this:-

"All of this has been known for a long time. Even in the 18th Century, as Rousseau was writing, his compatriot Voltaire was poking fun at the sentimentalism of his ideas and ridiculing the notion of a Golden Age in Antiquity. "London is ten thousand times better than Rome was then," he wrote, and the same went for the rest of Europe. "Paris was then only a barbarian city, Amsterdam was a swamp, and Madrid a desert". Those who don't like city life, he suggests, should go off to the Orkney Islands and try life there, where men eat oats and kill for scraps of fish. If romantic urbanites admire the past so much, said Voltaire, let them practice what they preach and go and live there."

taken from:-  http://www.samuelgriffith.org.au/papers/html/volume8/v8chap11.htm

This is a raw PALEO forum. Here I celebrate Paleo things. If I want to celebrate modern technology I do that at a techy forum, or enjoy a science fiction book/tv show/movie, etc.

Nothing wrong with emulating rawpalaeo aspects. It's the excessive romanticism of Paleolithic(and Neolithic) tribes that I'm against.

Tyler, maybe I should ask you, who do you regard in the 17th century as NOT being an idiot about diet, health and lifestyle, and as promoting a precursor of RPD thinking? Comparing Rousseau to today's knowledge is not fair. Who among his contemporaries do you see as precursors to RPD? If they are good I would be eager to add them to the timeline I'm creating.

Rousseau was born in the 18th century, not the 17th. As regards diet, I favour general accounts of Mediaeval society where they mention nobles at royal courts getting first pick of the organ-meats. But, ultimately, I would rather base most of my rawpalaeo views on those dietary habits occurring at a rather earlier date(ie before 250,000 years ago).

Life for Stone Age women was probably no picnic, but it may have been no worse than men’s lives of the time. Anthropologist Jared Diamond cites archaeological evidence that the introduction of agriculture, in addition to spreading disease and lowering life expectancy for both sexes, increased inequality between the sexes, sharpening the sexual division of labor and forcing women into almost constant pregnancy to produce more hands to till the fields.

That might be so. There are some claims re equality between the sexes in the Palaeolithic but they seem to  be motivated by politics than science(there were previous, since disproven claims by feminists that prehistorical societies were matriarchal, for example, and before that the old notion of patriarchy in the Palaeolithic). I despise it when politics is inserted into science, such as those fraudulent claims by Margaret Meade, and view them generally as bogus.

Women in many agricultural societies were, and  – you can see this in many parts of Africa and Asia today – still are made beasts of burden, forced to carry heavy loads of water , firewood, and grain.
My father used to remark, more or less, that it was  annoying how, in the West, men were expected to go to work(and therefore live shorter lives, due to stress etc.,  than women) while their women could  get away with sitting on cushions and eating turkish delight, while women in the 3rd world had to do hard manual labour in the fields while most of  the men he saw there during his travels, mostly just sat around and did nothing much. Personally, I was always rather impressed by those standard photos of African  women carrying large pots (of water?) on their heads - nothing wrong with women doing manual labour, it's rather erotic in fact.

Other evidence suggests that women of the Upper Paleolithic period enjoyed substantial sexual freedom, while artistic objects and funeral sites also indicate that women were held in high esteem, especially in religion, in which many shamans were women and fertility goddess cults abounded.

I'm always surprised at this notion that the sexes have ever been unequal. When you look at the whole of history,  one finds, inevitably, that both sexes are roughly equal in all societies. It's simply a question of different roles. For example, take 19th century England:- women there couldn't take most jobs, on the other hand, they didn't have to fight in endless wars, were less likely to be deported for crimes etc. etc. And one has to remember that there were Neolithic societies, such as Babylon, in which women were generally perceived as being superior.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:11:25 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 08:26:22 pm »
Re Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin - he wrote in his book "The Physiology of Taste"  -
"    ‘Oh Heavens!’ all you readers of both sexes will cry out, ‘oh Heavens above. But what a wretch the Professor is! Here in a single word he forbids us everything we must love, those little white rolls from Limet, and Achard’s cakes and those cookies, and a hundred things made with flour and butter, with flour and sugar, with flour and sugar and eggs!

He doesn’t even leave us potatoes or macaroni! Who would have thought this of a lover of good food who seemed so pleasant?

‘What’s this I hear?’ I exclaim, putting on my severest face, which I do perhaps once a year. ‘Very well then; eat! Get fat! Become ugly and thick, and asthmatic, finally die in your own melted grease."
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

alphagruis

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 01:50:12 am »

My knowledge of Rousseau or other philosophers in general is unfortunately limited and I’m just a physicist who happened to also turn into a raw paleo dieter eleven years ago. So my perspective and comments are rather the ones of a scientist.

What strikes me most about Rousseau is that he was a deteriorationist as opposed to a progressivist i.e. he had become aware that civilization brought about by the invention of agriculture was, in many respects, not a progress or improvement in human condition ( diet, morality, equality etc). Rousseau was not an idiot, Tyler, he obviously didn’t claim that « natural » men were all equal or their diets perfect. He just noted that civilization has artificially drastically increased inequality and immorality and brought about quite inappropriate and toxic diets.

And Rousseau expressed this view about 250 years ago, i.e. long long long before a certain Tyler on a certain RAW PALEO forum had to recognize that the modern civilized diet is indeed highly toxic and was forced to change his diet precisely in a way that more closely resembles the ones of « natural » or paleolithic man.

And Rousseau expressed his views about 250 years ago, i.e. long long long before modern science, namely anthropology, biology, life science, geography, biochemistry, physics etc, finally provide clear cut support of his ideas. Diamond among many others is a respected scientist.

So I certainly agree with you PaleoPhil. Jean-Jacques Rousseau indeed deserves our respect and should be honored by the modern RPD as a predecessor with deep insight and far reaching views. Yet one cannot expect from a man living in the 18th century where neither modern biochemistry nor the concept of darwinian adaptation existed to arrive at the modern RAW PALEO concept !  

As to the instincto movement, it’s likely that Burger, which is a well educated man (musician, physics, mathematics etc), was more or less influenced by Rousseau. It is interesting to note that Burger is initially actually a Swiss citizen from Lausanne, a city located in the French speaking Protestant « Canton de Vaux » to which Geneva, where Rousseau is born, belongs too.

What is most remarkable with Guy-Claude Burger and his instinctotherapy is that it very clearly and unambiguously pointed out already about 40 years ago the RAW PALEO concept :

-raw : As a physicist Burger clearly understood that cooking generates potentially a lot of toxins in the form of damaged or reacted biomolecules and so cleverly proposed to see what happened if one completely abandons this ubiquitous practice. Recent scientific work  nicely confirms the generation of these toxins 30 years later or so.

-paleo : Based on neodarwinist arguments he also strongly questioned the adaptation of modern man to neolithic foods and proposed to abandon them completely and to see what happened if doing so. Again there is now clear cut support of these ideas from mainstream science.

Burger demonstrated that it is indeed possible to eat along these lines with numerous positive effects on health. When he did this it was not even obvious if homo sapiens was able to survive on a 100% raw diet !

Again he did this about 40 years ago and I consider that this is an outstanding most remarkable feat.

Burger also pointed out the importance of alliesthesy, i.e. olfactory and gustatory sensations in food intake regulation as described here :

http://www.rawtimes.com/anopsy1.html

Yet he went so far as to claim that there exists an « alimentary instinct » based on these sensations that is by itself capable to ensure essentially perfect nutritional balance. This is unfortunately utterly wrong and from a scientific point of view a statement like the following one taken from above link can be readily falsified.

quote from Burger

17. Taking account of the alimentary instinct suggests a particularly simple and efficient way of approaching the problem of dietetics. Instead of assessing the needs of the organism from the outside (with all the risks of diagnosis in the face of the extraordinary complexity of nutritional processes and their inevitable fluctuations over time), it is enough to comply with the olfactory and gustatory pleasures, expressions of an instinct which is directly in touch with the body's actual needs and which can track unforeseeable and sometimes surprising variations in quantity. Note that Anopsotherapy is not a "diet" ; it implies no obligation nor any prohibition against nature. It tends to eliminate the artifices that are likely to defeat the aliesthetic mechanism (or to pose problems not manageable by metabolic processes). For the artificial scheme of diagnosis - prescription it substitutes the natural process of probing - acquiescence.

end of quote

In other words it is unfortunately not enough to comply with olfactory and gustatory pleasures to determine which food is best for us and ensure nutritional balance and health.
Most people who tried to do so just ate usually far too much sweet or oily fruits and not enough food of animal origin. This results in health damage after a while quite similar to the one observed in vegans.( I have recalled the main arguments against Burger's instincts on a French speaking forum recently http://paleocru.webatu.com/forum/)

This part of Burger's work about « instincts » is thus just pseudoscience and unfortunately means that he is indeed a dangerous guru. A guru recently released from jail after 12 years for pedophily, a guru who even applies his pseudoscience about "instincts" to human sexuality....

I add that by "guru" I just mean the leader of a movement or ideology who has been clearly shown to be wrong in some of his statements and often is quite aware of it but nevertheless still stubornly claims he is right and thus misleads his followers.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:02:41 am by alphagruis »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:54:39 am »
I just had a quick look at our French sister-site(from the link you provided) and was impressed to find Guy-Claude Burger as a member there  when I did some post-searching. 1 minor thing:- when I registered I discovered that the moderators of the site had to approve my registration before I could start posting etc. IMO, this is not a good thing as it discourages people, it also wastes a lot of the moderators' time. I know my yahoo group is like that(I moderate the first post of all new members) but that is solely due to the need to avoid spam which is more of a problem there.
" Ron Paul.

carnivore

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 03:20:55 pm »
I just had a quick look at our French sister-site(from the link you provided) and was impressed to find Guy-Claude Burger as a member there  when I did some post-searching. 1 minor thing:- when I registered I discovered that the moderators of the site had to approve my registration before I could start posting etc. IMO, this is not a good thing as it discourages people, it also wastes a lot of the moderators' time. I know my yahoo group is like that(I moderate the first post of all new members) but that is solely due to the need to avoid spam which is more of a problem there.

Well, I had to put on the approbation before registration to avoid the numerous spammers (already 15 since the start of the forum!!).
Tyler, you are approved!
Feel free to refute anything you want, and to call anybody you want an idiot ! ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:48:40 pm by carnivore »

carnivore

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 03:42:26 pm »
Moliere, who liked "les jolies femmes", had an interesting statement in his famous L'Avare :
"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." (Eat to live, don't live to eat)

I think everything is said in this proverb regarding food.
I would just add that one should better eat "cooked modern" to live than live to eat "raw paleo".  
Guy-Claude Burger would probably agree with that last sentence, as he ranks his "food instinct" above everything. He was (and is) limited, like all of us, by his beliefs and the knowledge of his time. So no one can blame him to be wrong somewhat.

Vive la vie!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:49:32 pm by carnivore »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 07:18:09 pm »
By the way, Carnivore, it might be an idea to ask the guy in charge of http://www.paleodiet.com/ to advertise your forum on that website. I think it really helped us when we got rawpaleoforum etc. advertised on that site, thought it took him something like a year or more for him to update the site and include our link. Of course, he may only accept English-language websites, so you might have to look  for a French Palaeo equivalent to that website for promotion.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 08:15:59 am »
Moliere, who liked "les jolies femmes", had an interesting statement in his famous L'Avare :
"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." (Eat to live, don't live to eat)

Thanks for that contribution, Carnivore! Much power in that brief aphorism.

I wanted this thread to be mainly an exploration and celebration of the historical role that France and French people (heroes and villains alike) played in the development of RPD thought and practice and don't want the thread to be sidetracked by discussions of economics, who's Satanic (or even whether Satan exists -d :D ), etc., so I'll ignore Tyler's post for now. Being of libertarian orientation myself, it might be tempting to take up at a later time in a thread focused on the topic, although I'm not sure how much I want to get into politics and economics on a dietary forum, as there is enough to disagree on in diet and health without starting debates on other divisive topics, unless there's a really interesting connection.

I'm particularly interested in any thoughts that our French members or others may have on why there seem to be so many connections between "primitive"-type dietary thought and practice and France. I realize there are connections all around the globe, but France seems to have held on to them a bit more tenaciously than most Western nations (though not entirely, of course, as Tyler pointed out and I've no doubt we're all already aware).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:45:32 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 09:53:54 am »
Next up in the panoply of French people who advocated primitive/Paleo diets or figured in the development of the field of inquiry or the dietary movement is...

Stanislas Tanchou, MD, one of Napoleon's surgeons. He developed in 1843 what became known as "Tanchou's Doctrine": the incidence of cancer increases in direct proportion to the "civilization" of a nation and its people. He termed cancer "a disease of civilization."

Tanchou's ideas were promoted by John Le Conte, MD (1818-1891), first president of the University of California. [source: Cancer: A Disease of Civilization? (Part I), Ralph W. Moss, Ph.D., Cancer Decisions Newsletter, July 23, 2002, http://www.cancerdecisions.com/072302_page.html)

alphagruis

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 03:38:32 am »
Thanks PaleoPhil for mentioning Stanislas Tanchou, MD, once more. I'm confused and have to admit that I did'nt know anything about him. As a surgeon of Napoleon, Tanchou had the unique opportunity to observe a lot of wounded and/or dying soldiers and, as History shows repeatedly, (these) "collateral effects of war" had always a marked positive effect on the advancement of (medical) science. :)

Apart from his most remarkable doctrine of a positive correlation between cancer and civilization, Tanchou also reported interesting evidence for the positive health effects of infections, in particular "spontaneous remissions" of cancer tumors with gangrene.

http://chetday.com/spontaneousremissions.htm

This reminds me of the famous hygiene hypothesis, mentioned by Tyler or others in a different thread

http://www.hygienehypothesis.com/

or the "useful bacteria or viruses" of Burger's instinctotherapy.

http://www.rawtimes.com/anopsy1.html

The common denominator of all these observations and the obviously curative power of infections is apparently merely the fact that bacteria or viruses are capable to thrive on molecules that poisen our organism, i.e. use these molecules (toxic for us but not for them) as food and thus decrease the toxic load of our organism.      

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 07:53:06 am »
Thanks for the Spontaneous Remissions article link, Alphagruis, I hadn't seen that one before.

....The common denominator of all these observations and the obviously curative power of infections is apparently merely the fact that bacteria or viruses are capable to thrive on molecules that poisen our organism, i.e. use these molecules (toxic for us but not for them) as food and thus decrease the toxic load of our organism.      

Yes, and apparently maggots and leeches were also used in this way (pretty much all the stuff that disgusts moderners :) ), and some physicians have reportedly started using them again (see "Maggots and Leeches: Old Medicine is New," By Ker Than, Special to LiveScience, 19 April 2005, http://www.livescience.com/health/050419_maggots.html).

alphagruis

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:35 pm »
Yes, and apparently maggots and leeches were also used in this way (pretty much all the stuff that disgusts moderners :) ), and some physicians have reportedly started using them again (see "Maggots and Leeches: Old Medicine is New," By Ker Than, Special to LiveScience, 19 April 2005, http://www.livescience.com/health/050419_maggots.html).

And hookworms or other "parasites" (IMO rather symbionts).

As in a previous thread of yours, PaleoPhil. http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/general-discussion/benefits-of-parasites/

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 06:21:44 am »
Yes, in the vain effort of trying to avoid or kill all germs and bugs, as though we were easily-clogged robots that needed to be spotless instead of living organisms, we moderners have ironically managed to create "superbugs" and have more chronic illness rather than less.

BTW, for further explanation re: Rousseau, France, etc.--in case I wasn't clear: my intention is NEVER EVER to claim that I agree 100% of the time with any guru or expert or thinker, alive or dead, on all subjects and I don't view ANY nation as perfect. The only reason I included Rousseau in my French RPD timeline was because he was 1) French (though actually born in Geneva, as was pointed out) and 2) was an early prominent proponent of the idea that older is more often than not better than newer when it comes to diet (as versus "everything new is improved" and "infinite progress"). As I have stated before, my understanding is that for all practical purposes, perfection (whether omniscience or utopia) doesn't exist, never has, and never will. I hope no one thought that I was implying that Rousseau or Tanchou or France were perfect in any sense. To me, that is incomprehensible--it just does not compute and it's not something I even consider. I also highly doubt that Dr. Cordain was thinking of Rousseau as being 100% right when he mentioned him. It has been instructive to find out how much of a hot button the mere mention of Rousseau still is after all these centuries. I'll try to remember to include clear caveats whenever mentioning him in the future. I'm amazed at how some of my posts get interpreted at times--sometimes in ways I would never dream that anyone could imagine. Since people don't know each other on the Internet, it seems the worst is often imagined. This is where feedback helps.

I was thinking about this because I was wondering whether I should include Burger in my RPD/Ancestral diet timeline. He is possibly even more controversial in part because he is a current figure. However, the worst controversy (the crime he was convicted of) is due to non-dietary issues, and he does seem to be sufficiently prominent in the history of the field that ignoring him (which I am tempted to do) would seem to be dishonest. It seems to me that if the "Devil" himself played a role in the development of RPD, then I should include him if I'm honest about it, but maybe there are ways around this that do not involve dishonesty. Any suggestions?

I'm beginning to wonder if timelines are just too hot to handle, -d but here's the next French entry on mine (I breathed a sigh of relief when the other names on this timeline after Rousseau didn't cause any major outrage--maybe I'll get luck with the rest :D --but if I include Burger, I suppose it would risk more turmoil :( ):

1848 - Claude Bernard (1813 – 1878), French physiologist, discovered glycogen--the storage form of sugar in the liver. He "theorized that DM was caused by glycogenolysis from the glycogen stored in the liver." Glycogenolysis is the process in which extra blood glucose is produced by the breakdown of glycogen in the liver, using food carbohydrate sources (sugars and starches). http://www.freewebs.com/diabetesdigest/diabeteshistory.htm http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Glycogenolysis.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:36:52 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 06:06:10 pm »
Actually, Burger's crime for which he was convicted did indeed have something to do with his dietary philosophy. I'm afraid he seems to have applied the idea of "natural instincts" to practices far outside the dietary sphere, ignoring current laws. That doesn't mean he should be excluded but that aspect ought to be mentioned(indeed it's one example of where one can't always rely on one's own instincts as to what is good for oneself, re diet or anything else).Same goes for Aajonus, the latter has provided much useful info and that needs to be mentioned as much as concerns re the more dodgy claims he's made.
" Ron Paul.

alphagruis

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 12:39:04 am »
Actually, Burger's crime for which he was convicted did indeed have something to do with his dietary philosophy. I'm afraid he seems to have applied the idea of "natural instincts" to practices far outside the dietary sphere, ignoring current laws. That doesn't mean he should be excluded but that aspect ought to be mentioned(indeed it's one example of where one can't always rely on one's own instincts as to what is good for oneself, re diet or anything else).Same goes for Aajonus, the latter has provided much useful info and that needs to be mentioned as much as concerns re the more dodgy claims he's made.

Yes right.
As I mentioned in my previous post, Burger's "theory about instincts" whether in food intake regulation i.e. diet or in human sexuality is from a modern scientific point of view just utterly wrong. For exactly the very same reasons, namely that the "instinct" concept cannot be given real sense in an appropriate theory of life, namely the theory of complex systems. Burger supported his claims by means of neodarwinist considerations, i.e. by assuming the now amply falsified idea that living organism's behaviours are essentially "genetically programmed" and determined. So Burger falsely assumes that there is an "instinctive program of food intake and regulation", an "instinctive program of reproduction" and a "metapsychic instinctive program", with the latter two "programs" related to two "different levels of sexuality".  Unfortunately living organisms cannot and should not be, even approximately and by far, reduced to their genes. And more important actually, Burger's "theory about instincts" just definitely doesn't work when applied in diet.

Nevertheless I think that Burger certainly amply deserves to be put on your list, Paleophil. As I mentioned in my previous post about him, simply because he had very clearly worked out the concept of RAWPALEO already about 40 years ago. This is remarkable feat, isn't it ?

Finally,  I think we should not be too unconfortable with this situation, PaleoPhil. It is the rule rather than the exception. All of us too are certainly wrong in a part of what we believe or assume now.  :)

As you do, PaleoPhil, I also point it out clearly: mentioning one of our famous predecessors does definitely not mean that I agree with everything in his work or thoughts.    

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:29:43 am by alphagruis »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 07:46:50 am »
I read on various forums the repeated attacks of my friend Alphagruis against the theory of G-C Burger and especially against his instinct’s views. I have the impression that Alphagruis fights against his own distorted view of Burger’s theory. For example, Burger didn’t infer the idea of an instinct (alimentary or sexual) from the theory of genes, but instead from thousands of observations carried out on animals and humans. Moreover, his position isn’t determinist at all. For him, “an instinctive program” is nothing more than a structured set of tendencies, which leaves total place to free will. If he speaks about genetic programming, it’s simply to take account of some invariants empirically verified amongst individuals and generations – and not to deduce from it any biological or psychological characteristics.

During both of his one-week courses I followed in the Eighties, Burger repeatedly emphasized that theoretical models, like the genetic one or the psychoanalytical one, are only incomplete and provisional models, useful as heuristics or teaching tools. Besides, he currently underlines that the complex systems model, which Alphagruis consider able of taking account of the life, is also a provisional explanatory support only. IMHO, Burger’s detractors should better adopt a little more epistemological point of view before judging and condemning an approach which is apparently difficult to thoroughly understand without having ever met him and talked with him personally.

For further info about Burger’s ideas, you can see his own website which should be translated in English soon : http://www.gcburger.com/home

That said, I do not necessarily agree with all and every aspect of G-C Burger’s theories.   

Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

alphagruis

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 05:41:30 pm »
Quote from: PaleoPhil link=topic=1852.msg22190#msg22190 date=1260224504
1848 - [b
Claude Bernard[/b] (1813 – 1878), French physiologist, discovered glycogen--the storage form of sugar in the liver. He "theorized that DM was caused by glycogenolysis from the glycogen stored in the liver." Glycogenolysis is the process in which extra blood glucose is produced by the breakdown of glycogen in the liver, using food carbohydrate sources (sugars and starches). http://www.freewebs.com/diabetesdigest/diabeteshistory.htm http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Glycogenolysis.

Two famous aphorisms from Claude Bernard that contain much power and of direct relevance to RPD:

"Le microbe n'est rien, c'est le terrain qui est tout." (It's the "terrain" he grows on that matters, not the microorganism)

"Quand le fait que l'on rencontre ne s'accorde pas avec une théorie régnante, il faut accepter le fait et abandonner la théorie."
(When we meet a fact which contradicts a prevailing theory, we must accept the fact and abandon the theory)

Even when the theory is supported by great names and generally accepted.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 08:15:04 am »
Here's a first draft of the GC Burger entry on my timeline:   
  <<1964 - Guy-Claude Burger develops Anopsology: a dietary approach based on the theory of biological evolution. It includes a raw food diet balanced through “alimentary alliesthesia and sensory-specific satiety.” The term "anopsology" literally means “an unprepared dish theory,” which Burger translated as "the theory of primitive nutrition". Burger explained that anopsology refers to the theoretical aspect of his approach, whereas the synonym instinctive nutrition refers to the actually dietary practice he recommends and instinctotherapy refers to the therapeutic aspect. [Source: “Anopsology,” Wikipedia, retrieved 9 December 2009]. Burger publishes his views on anopsology in his book, La Guerre Du Cru, in 1985. Burger’s popularity is undercut when he is arrested and imprisoned for having sex with an underage girl in [date].>>

On what date(s) should Docteur Jean Seignalet (1936-2003) appear on the timeline? When was his L'Alimentation ou la troisième médecine first published? Did he publish any earlier dietary books or influential articles?

alphagruis

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 06:16:38 pm »
Here's a first draft of the GC Burger entry on my timeline:   
  <<1964 - Guy-Claude Burger develops Anopsology: a dietary approach based on the theory of biological evolution. It includes a raw food diet balanced through “alimentary alliesthesia and sensory-specific satiety.” The term "anopsology" literally means “an unprepared dish theory,” which Burger translated as "the theory of primitive nutrition". Burger explained that anopsology refers to the theoretical aspect of his approach, whereas the synonym instinctive nutrition refers to the actually dietary practice he recommends and instinctotherapy refers to the therapeutic aspect. [Source: “Anopsology,” Wikipedia, retrieved 9 December 2009]. Burger publishes his views on anopsology in his book, La Guerre Du Cru, in 1985. Burger’s popularity is undercut when he is arrested and imprisoned for having sex with an underage girl in [date].>>

On what date(s) should Docteur Jean Seignalet (1936-2003) appear on the timeline? When was his L'Alimentation ou la troisième médecine first published? Did he publish any earlier dietary books or influential articles?

AFAIK Jean Seignalet met and had a discussion about diet with Guy-Claude Burger only once during a talk given by Burger in 1983 in Montpellier. Seignalet was a respected MD and scientist working in immunology who had his work published, as usual, in the form of papers in scientific journals (78 peer reviewed ones). He began his work on diet with his patients in 1988 and published his L'Alimentation ou la troisième médecine in 1996 AFAIK. Note that Seignalet's work nicely supports Burger's views about RAWPALEO only. But it has nothing to do with Burger's "theory about instincts", instinctive food regulation or so. Seignalet neither attempted to test this part of Burger's doctrine nor of course endorsed it in one way or another.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk