Author Topic: Raw Chicken  (Read 49675 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Raw Chicken
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 02:51:13 pm »

Can you get 100% grass-fed chicken in the UK??

Löwenherz

If I did a huge amount of searching I would likely find some sources in the end, but it's not worth the effort as I, anyway, have access to very good sources of other kinds of raw animal foods which I find sufficient.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2011, 09:39:58 am »
I just bought some chicken, some of this brand.. http://pages.smartchicken.com/pages/air-chilled.aspx
it's grain-fed, but still organic and free-range.. not the best i guess, but not the worst either.  and no added water.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2011, 02:20:03 pm »
I am trying the raw chicken for the first time right now.  It tastes/texture is pretty much just like I thought it would be.. mainly like raw fish but without the fishy smell/taste.

I like it.
hope I don't get sick!  I'll post again updating if I do or not.

Or if I suddenly disappear, then maybe I died.   :P
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2011, 07:27:09 pm »
I am trying the raw chicken for the first time right now.

Enjoy!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2011, 04:43:23 am »
    Enjoy!

It was very good!  But for some reason I don't think it agreed so much with my stomach.  Not that I got sick or anything, I still seem to be perfectly fine for now.  But after eating it, it felt a bit discomfortable in my stomach, more as if I'm not really suited to eating chicken.  It didn't give me that satisfied feeling I get when I eat raw beef.  It just felt like it was sitting there in my stomach doing nothing.. I don't know.  And then I felt kind of weird for the rest of the night.  But I was half asleep the whole time so I couldn't really tell exactly what I was feeling.  But I haven't gotten sick, so it seems alright.  Just not going to be replacing my beef with chicken or anything,  And it doesn't seem to have come out undigested or anything.

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2011, 09:48:02 pm »
Raw chicken is my favorite food when we are in Kashmir. We buy them alive usually, kills them ourself at home and strip the skin off them with feathers and all. You loose a bit of fat, but it is such a chore to pluck the feathers otherwise. And free range chicken has very tough skin, I don´t like to chew it. Even the meat is much tougher than broilers. And the bones are as hard as lamb bone! On a broiler chicken my three year old chews the bone without problem, but on theese chickens, running wild, eating only bugs, you need an axe to cut them! Their meat is dark and the fat is yellow. Sometimes you get a female with a belly full of eggyolks in different sizes. At first I got a strong detox effects by this chicken meat, like slight fever, swollen lymph glands for a day or two. The only other meat that gives my that strong detox is fermented beef.  I like it with some lemon or lime drops, but eaten within minutes before it gets all white.
Thanks for the Mo Lohaus Book, I am reading it now. Very interesting!

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 07:47:20 pm »
Where did the idea that chicken is especially dangerous raw come from?

Your average person seems to understand that steak doesn't have to be cooked so well. I imagine this is so because it's common enough to to eat it rare and bloody. I've oft encountered the idea that raw chicken, though, is particularly 'risky.'

Where'd this perception come from? Is there anything to it?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2011, 10:00:41 pm »

Your average person seems to understand that steak doesn't have to be cooked so well. I imagine this is so because it's common enough to to eat it rare and bloody. I've oft encountered the idea that raw chicken, though, is particularly 'risky.'

Undercooked chicken in the US is pretty dangerous.  I've known several people, including myself, who have gotten sick from it.  If the chicken is raised on a healthy diet, then it's not dangerous, but that's fairly difficult to find here.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:22 am »

Chickens tend to lo live in far worse conditions than cows here in the US, from what I've heard, so they tend to get a lot more sick, and make more people sick.  Also, the main pathogen from cow meat that people get sick from is E. Coli, which is only contained in the feces of the animals.. Therefore, steaks will only become contaminated if they come into contact with feces (which is often, because of the way factory farms kill and chop up the cows) and then it is only on the surface of the meat.  The inside of the steak does not get contaminated at all, therefor the steak can be cooked rare to kill the E.Coli on the surface and the uncooked part inside is still safe.  That is also why they suggest thoroughly cooking ground beef, because the meat has been chopped up and if any of it had e.coli, now the whole thing is infected.  But they also suggest a specific internal temperature even of rare-cooked steaks, to also kill things like worms and parasites.. but you can still probably get steaks that haven't been cooked to that temperature.  I know I always ask for my steaks as rare as possible, and even mention that I would eat it raw, when I go to restaurants.. and sometimes I even get the steak still cold in the middle.  Those times I sometimes wonder if the cook sent it out that rare on purpose just to get a complaint that it isn't cooked enough or that it is cold, and I laugh to think of their reaction when they find out that I cleaned my plate.

By the way, I didn't get sick at all from eating that raw chicken.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 03:36:13 am »
I have heard that in France they age ducks and geese until the feathers are plucked easily.

Wasn't raw pheasant hung by the head, aged so long that it's head disconnects from it's neck, a delicacy in france and england?

Aging the chicken would make it much more tender.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 04:28:00 am »
.. Therefore, steaks will only become contaminated if they come into contact with feces (which is often, because of the way factory farms kill and chop up the cows) and then it is only on the surface of the meat.  The inside of the steak does not get contaminated at all, therefor the steak can be cooked rare to kill the E.Coli on the surface and the uncooked part inside is still safe.  That is also why they suggest thoroughly cooking ground beef, because the meat has been chopped up and if any of it had e.coli, now the whole thing is infected.  But they also suggest a specific internal temperature even of rare-cooked steaks, to also kill things like worms and parasites.. but you can still probably get steaks that haven't been cooked to that temperature.  I know I always ask for my steaks as rare as possible, and even mention that I would eat it raw, when I go to restaurants.. and sometimes I even get the steak still cold in the middle.  Those times I sometimes wonder if the cook sent it out that rare on purpose just to get a complaint that it isn't cooked enough or that it is cold, and I laugh to think of their reaction when they find out that I cleaned my plate.

By the way, I didn't get sick at all from eating that raw chicken.

How are you doing Wolf?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2011, 03:33:26 am »
I ate some raw chicken for first time recently. It was fine. I blended it with some celery - it made the most disgusting looking thing I've seen in a while, but it tasted good!

I've eaten some raw pheasant, too. I don't really like it, the texture of it or the flavour really. But I ate it and it made a meal.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2011, 03:40:25 am »
I ate some raw chicken for first time recently. It was fine. I blended it with some celery - it made the most disgusting looking thing I've seen in a while..
yes i can imagine! mixing whole veggies with meat will seriously hinder digestion as meat requires an acidic diestive enviremont and veggies alkaline.

can't imagine why anyone would want to blend meat.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:05:54 am by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 05:01:35 am »
    How are you doing Wolf?

Heh, a late reply, but I'm doing alright.  Been having some trouble with my raw diet, especially around Christmas, where I was eating cooked foods sometimes.. but I'm trying to get back on 100% raw, and I've been doing pretty good the passed few weeks. Haven't had any chicken since the one time I tried it though, lol, I prefer beef.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 12:12:13 am »
Has anyone considered blood type as a factor? For instance with blood type B+ one of the only things they say to stay away from is chicken.
Gnawing on bones.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:44 pm »
Has anyone considered blood type as a factor? For instance with blood type B+ one of the only things they say to stay away from is chicken.

I don't know if you actually tried the erfyt b diet..but I find with raw diet blood type recommendations to be quite different. Do you have a raw book on it? Does dadamo say you're a positive or nonsecretor?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »
    You've probably heard of nitrite and nitrates as additives to hot dogs and bacon to persevere them in the plastic package so they'll basically never break down nor decompose through bacteria. Celery is a natural nitrite used by bacon and I think corned beef at Trader Joe's etc.  Probably why aajonus will say to drink your celery juice at least an hour apart if not two from your meat meal(s)..and he lumps chicken in as a meat. I know some believe only red meats are meat. I heard one woman teaching her kid that fish are flowers. My Mom made sure we ate some red meat every day in my formative years. That's how that generation was in the US.

I ate some raw chicken for first time recently. It was fine. I blended it with some celery - it made the most disgusting looking thing I've seen in a while, but it tasted good!

I've eaten some raw pheasant, too. I don't really like it, the texture of it or the flavour really. But I ate it and it made a meal.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:57:12 pm by RawZi »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2012, 08:00:34 pm »
     I hope you enjoyed the holidays..and I'm glad you're getting back into health and are back here. Mid February I started on some family stuff..that's probably why I totally missed your reply.

Heh, a late reply, but I'm doing alright.  Been having some trouble with my raw diet, especially around Christmas, where I was eating cooked foods sometimes.. but I'm trying to get back on 100% raw, and I've been doing pretty good the passed few weeks. Haven't had any chicken since the one time I tried it though, lol, I prefer beef.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 09:51:53 pm »
Snake oil  ;D 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:58 am »
Snake oil  ;D
And snake tastes like chicken!  ;)

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2014, 06:30:41 am »
so i bought a whole chicken the other day and it's really got me loving raw chicken right now. tastes pretty amazing with all the fat. it's strange how things used to gross me out and now im loving them. i cant get another chicken til saturday but i've got a serious craving.
How do you set about eating a whole raw chicken?   I love raw chicken breasts and dream of tackling a small, whole raw chicken, but do not know how you systematically dismantle and eat it, as it obviously makes several meals on different days?   Some of it can be set aside in a jar at room temperature to go nice and rotten, and I enjoy eating this, but how much do you set aside?   Obviously you really know how to enjoy raw chicken, have a serious craving, and have found the pluck to take on the cluck!

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2015, 06:14:14 am »
Current scare throughout UK is with Camphylobactor in Chicken, and most shops are implicated in supplying this with excess of these bacteria.   I must have encountered it in my considerable munching of Raw Chicken, but it was always delicious.   I had one encounter with Yersini E Coli from raw chicken in 1991 which led to grossly loose bowels for more than a fortnight.    This went away and I have never had any repeat of anything so severe.     I hope there is no problem for us, because I like it, and want to continue enjoying it.   Perhaps Tyler (who does not like Chicken but always offers good advice) can help?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2015, 07:12:45 am »
Bacteria are generally harmless. It is the environment they are in which causes toxicity. In this case, raw grainfed chicken is a bad idea. If the chicken is pastured/grassfed(a real rarity) then it is fine. In the UK, I found it impossible to get hold of decent pastured chicken, so I just bought raw wild mallard duck instead, which was of excellent quality.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2015, 03:57:25 am »
Thank you.    Yes I do like Raw Duck, but ligaments in the legs are tough and stringy, the rest is nice  and chewy.    Have tried Raw Turkey which has a very distinct flavor.   At times you could say I am a poultry (paltry) eater.   Generally I know what I like and like it a lot!    Your comments are always welcome and interesting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk