Author Topic: How much raw meat do you eat?  (Read 20824 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
How much raw meat do you eat?
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:35:30 am »
Hi does anyone know about how much % of their diet is raw meat? Also for those of you heat it like 95% raw meat where do you get major nutrients such as calcium?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: How much raw meat do you eat?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:37:28 am »
There's plenty of calcium in raw meats. And if you read up on the literature, studies show that even those on low-calcium diets such as the Bantu have strong bone structure so clearly don't need high calcium for that.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:12 am »
100%.  :D

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:17:23 am »
I eat about 75% as raw meat and 25% as raw fat. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:18:46 am »
neither of you eat any raw plant material?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:33:38 am »
Nope. I have food allergies to many fruits & vegetables and I'm recovering from a systemic Candida overgrowth so it's purely raw meats and fats for me. I'm doing great on them though. Some day I may add berries back into the mix but not for at least a couple years. :)
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:07:14 am »
neither of you eat any raw plant material?

I eat hydrating fruits.  Not vegetables.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:53:04 am »
I get my plants from the food eaten by my meat. I don't eat what my food eats.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 08:28:06 pm »
I eat hydrating fruits. 

yes watermelon...for hydrating and to "make" you go (I mean that's what you blog about)

Dr. Harris's 12 steps to get started:

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

Nicola

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:43:55 pm »
percentage wise by calories i only have %20 percent protein (86g's) which consists of a half pound red meat and 4-6oz fish and then the rest is fat %65 (132g) which is mostly pumpkin seed butter(4-6tbsp! :)) and whatever fat is in the meat/fish and then another %15(80g) carbs mostly from cabbage(i eat 4-6cups a day!) celery and maybe a potato or cup of pumpkin (all raw)
i could probably have a better source of fat but i dont right now, any less and my body rebels....my brain really functions lovely on this diet and my endurance for physical activity and strength is great...i dont know why i love pumpkin seeds, cabbage, celery and potatoes but i think i am deficient or unable to absorb nutrients properly still and these fullfill that.  i have often though this diet/my cravings are a product of my lineage and the seasons as only started to crave cabbage/squash this winter(they are winter crops) and ate on lettuce and berries all spring and summer(i do not have a taste for them now, unless its choke cherries i find)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 02:37:02 am »
1. What does 'everyone' think about the Vitamin D issue..? Is it worth getting a vitamin D supplement if one is unable to get enough sunlight?

2. What the 'eff' is a 'cup' of cabbage/pumpkin?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:41:19 am »
Just get some raw fermented cod liver oil from blue ice. Either that or buy some raw shellfish.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 02:46:09 am »
1. What does 'everyone' think about the Vitamin D issue..? Is it worth getting a vitamin D supplement if one is unable to get enough sunlight?

2. What the 'eff' is a 'cup' of cabbage/pumpkin?

I assume they mean shredded vegetables, yeah.

Other raw animal foods have Vitamin D, like egg yolks, liver, etc.  I think clams have most of whole fairly easy to get unprocessed foods, as it is an entire animal.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 03:05:34 am »
"How Much is Too Much?
Vitamin D overdose typically happens over a period of time rather than from a single large dose. This is because, unlike most other essential nutrients we consume, the body does not excrete excess vitamin D. Instead, it is stored in the body's fat cells where it can accumulate to toxic levels over time.

According to the National Institutes of Health, the Upper Intake Levels (ULs) for the vitamin D are as follows:

Birth to 12 months of age: 25 micrograms (1,000 IU)
One year of age or older: 50 micrograms (2,000 IU)
Studies have also shown that, taken over long periods of time, consumption of vitamin D in amounts above the UL will result in toxicity. For children under the age of 12 months, a sustained intake of 1,000 micrograms (40,000 IU) a day will produce toxicity in just one to four months. For adults, 2,500 micrograms (100,000 IU) a day may result in toxicity in a few months."

(http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Vitamin_D_Overdose)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"5 Get daily midday sun or take 4-8000 iu vit D daily"

(http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/)

Edit: >_> I put this up because I read 'One year of age or older', as literally: 'One year of age or older'... and not what they really mean which is: 'One year of age-'adult''. However, I suppose I may as well leave it up now...

Just as I don't assume the '+100Kg' category to mean the '+100kg-When we think you're unfairly big' category =/ Or 'Absolute' to mean 'Absolutely 60-73kg'.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:11:29 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 08:42:50 am »
    I think when we make Vitamin D in our skin, or eat really raw endogenously Vitamin D containing whole animal foods, that it's near to impossible to overdose on the vitamin.  Isn't Vitamin D a hormone?  Natural hormones, as opposed to synthetic hormones, can be converted in the body to what we need, when there is excess of one.  Even Vitamins, when animal sourced all raw, people can convert it to what they need in their bodies. 

Are you saying you have a Vitamin D deficiency or excess?  Me, I'm very sensitive to the sun, or I was always before.  Not just that my skin would disastrously burn as fast as heck before it could do good, but my eyes too. I had to squint outdoors as a kid, if sun got in I got headaches and many unpleasant symptoms in my body.  I've never been into sun worship as far as tanning on a beach or tanning parlor business, but I think I've been dealing a lot easier with the sun since I've been eating (R mostly)AF.  So I assume I'm good with Vitamin D now, I feel it too, as well as other hormones and vitamins.  I did get my vitamin D tested a couple of months ago, but I have not seen the results on paper nor heard them (yet).  When I get the results, I'll tell you guys on forum.

"How Much is Too Much?
Vitamin D overdose typically happens over a period of time rather than from a single large dose. This is because, unlike most other essential nutrients we consume, the body does not excrete excess vitamin D. Instead, it is stored in the body's fat cells where it can accumulate to toxic levels over time.

According to the National Institutes of Health, the Upper Intake Levels (ULs) for the vitamin D are as follows:

Birth to 12 months of age: 25 micrograms (1,000 IU)..."

(http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Vitamin_D_Overdose)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 11:55:50 am »
Hi does anyone know about how much % of their diet is raw meat? Also for those of you heat it like 95% raw meat where do you get major nutrients such as calcium?
Over 95% of my diet is raw meat, fat and organs. I get most of my nutrients from this, including calcium. Bone marrow and shellfish contain a small amount of calcium and hunter gatherer peoples like the Inuit have demonstrated that eating large amounts of calcium is not necessary (though they chew bones and make bone broths). The body apparently adapts by excreting less calcium. The Inuit also eat much more magnesium than Americans. The avg American diet is far more deficient in magnesium than calcium, but there's no powerful dairy industry promoting magnesium like they are calcium. I read somewhere that high intake of calcium in combination with low intakes of Mg, Zinc, vitamin D and other nutrients that promote calcium absorption can lead to excessive levels of free calcium in the blood, which is apparently associated with a number of modern chronic illnesses. I don't have the links, sorry.

Re: vitamin D, according to Nutritiondata, 6 medium raw wild eastern oysters provide 269 IU vitamin D. To get a conservative 5000 IU of vitamin D per day (which is what I generally take in foodlements), one would have to eat 112 oysters per day.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 12:10:16 pm »
What the 'eff' is a 'cup' of cabbage/pumpkin?

the word fuck is pretty paleo try it out
cup=measurement
cabbage=sulfury leafy vegetable
pumpkin=winter squash
yes i eat shit that grows out of the ground too
eff off if you were just being facetious in asking

i think it is pretty ridiculous to not also adapt some of the most healthy aspects of a paleo lifestyle such as spending A LOT of time outdoors, and i guess if you are unfortunate to live somewhere where it is completely overcast, you will most likely be able to absorb enough light and produce plenty of vitamin d yourself.  it also helps to acclimate to less then optimum temperatures so as to expose as much skin as possible

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 02:09:47 pm »
    I don't see how eating calcium helps anyone.  I drink some raw grass grazed milk sometimes, but that's another thing.

yes watermelon...for hydrating and to "make" you go (I mean that's what you blog about)

Dr. Harris's 12 steps to get started:

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

Nicola

You're not eating any carbs now Nicola, are you?  Still all meat only?

i think it is pretty ridiculous to not also adapt some of the most healthy aspects of a paleo lifestyle such as spending A LOT of time outdoors, and i guess if you are unfortunate to live somewhere where it is completely overcast, you will most likely be able to absorb enough light and produce plenty of vitamin d yourself.  it also helps to acclimate to less then optimum temperatures so as to expose as much skin as possible

At times, some years, starting early in the Springtime I would go outside on my terrace in a bikini and lay out by six in the morning, and stay out till eight in the morning every day.  In this way I could tolerate the sun and build resistance (and Vitamin D I'm sure), and be ready to actually be able to be on a white sand beach in Summer a little without burning my skin off. 

In the tropics I got up by five almost every day, and spent a good bit of time out doors every day, but mostly just exposed my hands, forearms, whole face (all from overhead 99%) and feet, and those were the only parts that the sun seemed to affect me there. 
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 10:19:00 pm »
Paleophil: I don't get much sun; think I should follow that PaleoNu guy's advice and take 1000s IUs per day in vitD supplements? Do you know what role it plays in the body?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:53 am »
Paleophil: I don't get much sun; think I should follow that PaleoNu guy's advice and take 1000s IUs per day in vitD supplements? Do you know what role it plays in the body?
He recommends much more than that, actually. I would read all his stuff on vitamin D, along with that of Dr. William Davis and Peter of Hyperlipid if you have time (they have slightly different, though very similar opinions), then decide for yourself. It's better if you can get measured by your doc first, but some docs apparently won't do it and I didn't want to wait for my next medical exam.

Vitamin D does a million different things in the body. One thing that got my attention was it's a hormone that helps build muscle.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 10:55:50 am »
    At times, some years, starting early in the Springtime I would go outside on my terrace in a bikini and lay out by six in the morning, and stay out till eight in the morning every day.  In this way I could tolerate the sun and build resistance (and Vitamin D I'm sure), and be ready to actually be able to be on a white sand beach in Summer a little without burning my skin off. 

That's very similar to what I do!  I can't wait to spend time in the sun and, for holiday, the salt water too, I crave it!!!  I want the snow to be gone.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 11:28:11 am »
I can't wait to spend time in the sun and, for holiday, the salt water too, I crave it!!!

I crave salt air.  Salt water is great too.  Mountain air is fantastic as well.  It's like breath itself.  Moon shine and the sun at dawn and morning dew give clean health.  The basic elements, what do we do without them?  Maybe it's the Vitamin D, it sloughing away possible depression.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 02:01:54 am »
I'll get some VitD supplement then. One comment said about it only being absorbed with fat but that this wouldn't happen in the gut. Is this right? So if I got powder rather than D already mixed with fat, and I ate the tablet with a fatty meal, I still wouldn't absorb most of it?

Also, what do you think about the K2 thing, what do you do/know about that?

+... If I have fruit it causes me inflammation(Skin, muscles and wherever else)... It seemed to say there that Vit.D3/K2 increase tolerance of carbs. Would that include resistance to inflammation/gout(I think that's pretty much just chronic inflammation anyway).

Another thing... I'd probably work it out through modification anyway after a while, but since going fruit-free and raw(I did them both at the same time and only recently) I have had slightly dry/cracked lips. Does anyone know why this could be..?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:41:43 am by miles »

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 05:43:43 am »
Another thing... I'd probably work it out through modification anyway after a while, but since going fruit-free and raw(I did them both at the same time and only recently) I have had slightly dry/cracked lips. Does anyone know why this could be..?
You need more fat. I don't know if it could cause it directly but once you're ingesting enough fat things like that clear up. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 05:48:06 am »
Since eating raw meat and no fruit(don't know if it's because the fat is raw, because I don't have sugar, or both), having much fat has made me feel really sluggish...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk