Author Topic: Probiotics?  (Read 5738 times)

Offline aunaturale

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Probiotics?
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:38:43 am »
As a general census, what are most of the members on this forum
taking in as a form of probiotics?
Does anyone have a trustworthy over-the-counter brand you can recommend?
or simply a handmade form :)

Ideas appreciated.
Thanks RPF!
"The more I learn what is a man, the more I want to be an animal."

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Probiotics?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:47:00 am »
Its called 'High Meat' and you can read all about it in the recipies forum
That's not paleo.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 06:59:34 am »
Its called 'High Meat' and you can read all about it in the recipies forum
Exactly.
We don't eat a high carbohydrate & high fiber diet so conventional probiotics are pointless. High meat has all the happy bacteria breaking down the meat in/on it so just eat some high meat as a supplement and you'll speed up the process of intestinal flora re-population. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:28:03 am »
I have many candida symptoms and suffer from bad breath (that's the reason i'm doing raw ZC, i want a fresh breath), I was on cooked ZC for about 4 months and it did not cure my bad breath so raw ZC is my last hope, would high meat be beneficial? From my understanding, bad breath is caused by a compromised intestinal flora. My gums and teeth are in excellent condition, dentists can't find anything wrong in my mouth, i don't have any fillings.

Did anyone here have bad breath before doing raw paleo/ZC and was cured? Please speak up, it's important. I've started taking probiotics yesterday and i'm willing to eat high meat if it's more 'powerful' than probiotics, are the bacteria the same?

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:37:56 am »
I have many candida symptoms and suffer from bad breath (that's the reason i'm doing raw ZC, i want a fresh breath), I was on cooked ZC for about 4 months and it did not cure my bad breath so raw ZC is my last hope, would high meat be beneficial? From my understanding, bad breath is caused by a compromised intestinal flora. My gums and teeth are in excellent condition, dentists can't find anything wrong in my mouth, i don't have any fillings.

Did anyone here have bad breath before doing raw paleo/ZC and was cured? Please speak up, it's important. I've started taking probiotics yesterday and i'm willing to eat high meat if it's more 'powerful' than probiotics, are the bacteria the same?

i also get pretty bad breath. but this only started after beginning raw vlc and also happened while i was eating raw zc. i've still got it and i don't really know what to do about it. it's pretty much the only negative i've found with eating this way... i've tried high meat also and it didn't seem to help. my teeth and gums are also in perfect condition. anyone else have suggestions for us?

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:47:25 am »
Is it the acetone kind of bad breath?

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/low-carbers-beware-the-breathalyzer/

I don't know what could be done about that, or about the breath in general

My dog has gotten really foul breath since I quit feeding her veggies (she's now ZC), but she's also 12 and not in stellar health any more, I don't know if there's a connection

Good luck!

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 09:03:16 am »
Charcoal easily clears up bad breath & body odours, take it regulary about 1/4 of a teaspoon & brush after meals

Most bad breath & body odours will disappear, bad breath after brushing disappears quite quickly

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 09:26:37 am »
Is it the acetone kind of bad breath?

yep

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:40:57 am »
Excess acetone from ketosis lasted about a couple weeks for me, then I gradually adapted to digesting higher levels of fats. Your mileage may vary.

Meat probiotics (high meats/fish) make the most sense to me too. The most common probiotics are the dairy probiotics (like lactobacilli), but they only make sense if you're eating dairy products.

Some people don't adapt as well or as quickly to ZC as I did, for reasons uncertain. Part of it may be the fact that successful ZCers/carnivores like Lex and I include some raw organs, and/or shellfish, and/or eggs in our diets.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 12:01:27 pm »
I googled for more info on the types of bacteria in high/aged meat and their benefits, there isn't much info on that topic. I did find this:

"Raw aged meat is both healthy and delicious because it contains Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB).  LAB hinder spoilage and the proliferation of pathogenic microorganisms (bacteria, virus, yeast, fungus which can cause disease in unbalanced quantities), and contribute to healthy microflora (good bacteria) which is necessary for healthy mucosal surfaces (inner linings throughout the body)."

That's enough to convince me to give it a try. I'm certain my problem is in my gut.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk