Author Topic: silica more important that calcium for bone/tissue/blood health?  (Read 8027 times)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
my interest in silica started when i read that the natives to this area preferred their horses to range where the grass grew in much more silica rich soil as it hardened their hoofs and bones and made them more stable animals.....
i have a friend who mines minerals and we talked at length about silica, he said it is the most abundant substance in our dirt as well as our bodies
there are numerous articles linking it with increasing bone formation, healing, strength/mineralization...
perhaps this is why clay is nutritious for us as it is a good source of silica but even more so why bone meals are excellent for our health
just another mineral to consider but also brings the importance of a wide/complete spectrum of minerals/nutrition

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: silica more important that calcium for bone/tissue/blood health?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:25:44 pm »
Well, whats the mineral make up of bone? I thought it was mainly carbon

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 02:52:46 am »

I will quote David Wolfe again:

For our body to create calcium we need [5:40]:
   - silica (herbal food sources: nettle)
   - magnesium (dark chocolate has Mg, pumpkin seeds)
   - K (Potassium)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:57:33 am »
You're forgetting phosphorus and vitamin D re making bones.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:01:54 am »
what is awesome about silica is that it attaches to excess aluminum and helps to rid the body
a lot of the "climate control" aerosol from airplanes is aluminum

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:14:40 am »

- K (Potassium)

I've heard David Wolfe say it, but never heard from any science authority that you can make one element from others. Not in an organism, not without nuclear technology.

William

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47:19 am »
I've heard David Wolfe say it, but never heard from any science authority that you can make one element from others. Not in an organism, not without nuclear technology.

Sure you have - look up the works of C. Louis Kervran, been mentioned here. He showed transmutation of the elements in the human body, it is done by microbes.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:23:54 pm »
awesome william i will definitely have to read up on this
there is a man who sells miraclays.com calcium bentonite clay at my work and i have been trying to convince him that, if he really wants a miracle, he needs a more viable source, as i can tell by taste his clay is dead when i compare it to clay i gather myself...having a little scientific backing other then "dude it tastes dead" will definitely help the legitimacy of my argument ha!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:29:31 am »

- K (Potassium)

Are you sure he didn't mean vitamin K instead of potassium? The chemical symbol for potassium is K, but it's rarely referred to as "K" in nutritional circles. Usually nutritional gurus mean vitamin K when they speak of K. Vitamin K2 (along with vitamin A, D3, magnesium, etc.) is strongly associated with good bones and teeth.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »
awesome william i will definitely have to read up on this
there is a man who sells miraclays.com calcium bentonite clay at my work and i have been trying to convince him that, if he really wants a miracle, he needs a more viable source, as i can tell by taste his clay is dead when i compare it to clay i gather myself...having a little scientific backing other then "dude it tastes dead" will definitely help the legitimacy of my argument ha!

Kwl, how do you gather your own clay? do you need a beach, or can you go to your garden & pick up some soil & smear some on wantonly

William

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 10:14:57 pm »
Kwl, how do you gather your own clay? do you need a beach, or can you go to your garden & pick up some soil & smear some on wantonly

If you live where there are dam-building beavers in a creek that flows over bottomless muck, they put a clay foundation under the dam.
I've never seen clay in my area, but the beavers can find it.
Robbing the beavers is a paleo solution to finding clay.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 10:54:38 pm »
"clay" has a specific composition and contains something that is much like plastic, that gives it plasticity and helps to it hold together and then be fired into a vessle, unlike dirt that when heated withh crumble....i wrote a post on where i get mine and am kind of computer duh so hopefully this link works:
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/health/eating-clay/msg24457/#msg24457
also i would think if you would like to find some in your area find anyone interested in minerals/"rockhounding"
i was lucky enough to just be hanging out in the cave LOL and then decided the walls looked delicious and carved out chunks of the white clay with a knife and ate...i was with friends and we all emerged from the cave dirty with white shit all over our faces and lips, haha, crazed frothing dirt dwellers, but totally worth it!
as for the red clay for the skin i was hiking in this crazy rock formation park and it was after a few days of rain and i was playing in the run off and decided the red clay was beautiful and i needed to be that color, it stained my skin and was silty and smooth(gravity sifted?) and totally energizing to the point of insomnia

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:02:19 am »
"clay" has a specific composition and contains something that is much like plastic, that gives it plasticity and helps to it hold together and then be fired into a vessle, unlike dirt that when heated withh crumble....i wrote a post on where i get mine and am kind of computer duh so hopefully this link works:
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/health/eating-clay/msg24457/#msg24457
also i would think if you would like to find some in your area find anyone interested in minerals/"rockhounding"
i was lucky enough to just be hanging out in the cave LOL and then decided the walls looked delicious and carved out chunks of the white clay with a knife and ate...i was with friends and we all emerged from the cave dirty with white shit all over our faces and lips, haha, crazed frothing dirt dwellers, but totally worth it!
as for the red clay for the skin i was hiking in this crazy rock formation park and it was after a few days of rain and i was playing in the run off and decided the red clay was beautiful and i needed to be that color, it stained my skin and was silty and smooth(gravity sifted?) and totally energizing to the point of insomnia

what'd the cave taste like? bitter, salty, snap crackle pop? lol

Wish i could walk around caked in mud, like the aboriginee & spear traffic wardens ...

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 01:49:39 am »
Are you sure he didn't mean vitamin K instead of potassium? The chemical symbol for potassium is K, but it's rarely referred to as "K" in nutritional circles. Usually nutritional gurus mean vitamin K when they speak of K. Vitamin K2 (along with vitamin A, D3, magnesium, etc.) is strongly associated with good bones and teeth.

I listened to that part again and it's potassium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk