Author Topic: List of ALL Harmful Plant Products  (Read 40544 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
List of ALL Harmful Plant Products
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:25:40 am »
Ones with anti-nutrients and other harmful things.. Make a list someone. I'm not addicted to any food and can whip anything out of my diet that will always have potentially harmful toxins or other things.

Someone make a list please... ;D

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: List of ALL Harmful Plant Products
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 06:32:37 am »
well, since you're asking...
however, please keep in mind this quote: "Effect on humans and animals is based on laboratory tests using toxin concentrations much higher than the concentrations normally found in food."
I don't believe that all the things on this list are harmful. Obviously the ones that aren't paleo I do, but not things like spinach, tomato, stone fruits, "most fruits", etc...

Toxin family:                Examples of occurence in plants:                    Effects on humans and animals:
Cyanogenic glycosides...Sweet potatoes, stone fruits, lima beans...Gastrointestinal inflammation; inhibition of cellular respiration
Glulcosinolates...Rape (canola), mustard, radish, cabbage, peanut, soybean, onion...Goiter; impaired metabolism; reduced iodine uptake; decreased protein digestion
Glycoalkaloids...Potato, tomato...Depressed central nervous system; kidney inflammation; carcinogenic; birth defects; reduced iron uptake
Gossypol...Cottonseed...Reduced iron uptake; spermicidal; carcinogenic
Lectins...Most cereals, soybeans, other beans, potatoes...Intestinal inflammation; decreased nutrient uptake/absorption
Oxalate...Spinach, rhubarb, tomato...Reduces solubility of calcium, iron, and zinc
Phenols...Most fruits and vegetables, cereals, soybean, potato, tea, coffee...Destroys thiamine; raises cholesterol; estrogen-mimic
Coumarins...Celery, parsley, parsnips, figs...Light-activated carcinogens; skin irritation

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:37:03 am »
I did hear about rhubarb before. Thanks for the list. ;)

Satya

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 06:39:20 am »
Ones with anti-nutrients and other harmful things.. Make a list someone. I'm not addicted to any food and can whip anything out of my diet that will always have potentially harmful toxins or other things.

Someone make a list please... ;D

Why don't we all make a list together, eh?  Keith has a good start.  Shall we keep it restricted to commonly agreed to paleo foods?  And let's keep anaphylactic responses, unique to rare cases (like strawberry or celery allergy) off the list, shall we?

eggplant - contains nicotinoid alkaloids

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:43:03 am »
Why don't we all make a list together, eh?  Keith has a good start.  Shall we keep it restricted to commonly agreed to paleo foods?  And let's keep anaphylactic responses, unique to rare cases (like strawberry or celery allergy) off the list, shall we?

eggplant - contains nicotinoid alkaloids
Darn, I'm low on info... :-[ But I agree no super rare allergy foods. If mentioned make sure you clearly state its harmful only if your allergic.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:50:45 am »
These are taken from the Wai site (i didn't include all the blatantly non-paleo ones). It does say on the website that if you find you can easily digest certain vegetables that you can eat those. Take that for what it's worth I guess.

-      Vegetables contain more pentosanes and hexosanes, which are partly bacterially  decomposed in the colon, and inhibit digestion. Brussel sprouts, beetroot, parsley, celeriac, kale, broccoli and peas contain most of these special carbohydrates.

-      Some vegetables contain much oxalic acid, which binds to minerals easily. Mangold,   rhubarb, spinach, purslane, bamboo shoots and beetroot contain most of these special carbohydrates.

-      Cabbages (like broccoli and cauliflower), radish and garden cress contain glucosinolates,  which can originate mildly toxic (to the thyroid) thiocyanate.

-      Onions contain much mutagenic quercetine (a flavonoid), and (like garlic)
        dialkyloligosulphides, inhibiting iodide absorption.

-      Mushrooms easily absorb damaging cadmium and arsenium, and contain alkaloids  which inhibit digestion and cause gripes. Many people have no problem at all eating mushrooms however.

-      Lamb's lettuce contains caffeic acid, which easily binds nutrients.

-      Rhubarb can contain mutagenic emodine.

-      Parsley, celeriac, dill and fennel can contain small amounts of furocoumarines (psoralenes) that can become tumor-stimulating when taken in higher amounts.

-      Cacao, nutmeg, laurel, mace, anise, black pepper and ginger can contain tiny amounts of cancerous safrol.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 05:43:10 pm »
All nightshades: tomato, potatoe, eggplant, bell peppers, tobacco
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:48:38 pm »
I think it would be much easier to list ALL NON-Harmful Plant Products... if there exist any...
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:05:40 am »
This is crazy; and to think there are thousands of books out there about how bad meat is for you and how healthy plants are. It just goes to show that people will believe anything, because the issue couldn't be in more diametric opposition than this.

However I still eat plants occasionally, but much less than before. I have a garden where I grow tomatoes, squash, basil, dill, various peppers, carrots and lettuce. Most of it I have been giving away but I've eaten a few tomatoes.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:34:52 am »
This is crazy; and to think there are thousands of books out there about how bad meat is for you and how healthy plants are. It just goes to show that people will believe anything, because the issue couldn't be in more diametric opposition than this.

However I still eat plants occasionally, but much less than before. I have a garden where I grow tomatoes, squash, basil, dill, various peppers, carrots and lettuce. Most of it I have been giving away but I've eaten a few tomatoes.
I guess tomatoes might be one fruit (part of plant that contains the seed) you might not want to eat.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:38:52 am »
Apple (Malus domestica) Seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides; although the amount found in most apples won't kill a person, with enough seeds, one could die from it.
Cherry (Prunus cerasus), as well as other species (Prunus spp) such as peach (Prunus persica), plum (Prunus domestica), almond (Prunus dulcis) and apricot (Prunus armeniaca). Leaves and seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides
Potato (Solanum tuberosum) Foliage and green-tinged tubers are toxic, containing the glycoalkaloid solanine, which develops as a result of exposure to light. Causes intense digestive disturbances, nervous symptoms.
Rhubarb (Rheum rhaponticum) Leaf blades, but not petioles, contain oxalic acid salts, causing kidney disorders, convulsions, coma. Rarely fatal.
Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) Foliage and vines contain alkaloid poisons which cause digestive upset and nervous excitement

Satya

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 03:31:07 am »
Apple (Malus domestica) Seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides; although the amount found in most apples won't kill a person, with enough seeds, one could die from it.
Cherry (Prunus cerasus), as well as other species (Prunus spp) such as peach (Prunus persica), plum (Prunus domestica), almond (Prunus dulcis) and apricot (Prunus armeniaca). Leaves and seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides

Seeds and stones usually are not consumed, though.  If something like an apple seed gets swallowed, it becomes encased in manure and spread to a new area where it might sprout.  That's just one of the symbiotic ways we plants and animals exist.  I'd like to see anyone chew up a peach stone without damaging his mouth.

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 01:39:46 pm »
Okay, so most fruits are fine if you don't eat the seed/pit.

Are there ANY plants/vegetables that don't have some kind of toxin or whatever? (although I imagine most of these are on such a low level, that with a good diet it wouldn't matter if you ate it on occasion)
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 02:25:29 pm »
I eat salad green leafy stuff and celery.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:08:42 pm »
Most fruit are excessively sweet so high levels of fructose could be counted as a poison. A lot of people are allergic to fruit like strawberries and oranges like myself, so there's something poisonous in them which causes the body to react and detox. I know Satya mentioned that fruits which people are allergic to shouldn't be counted in this thread but I think its important to point out that allergies/ anaphylactic reactions happen for a reason. The body doesn't like this plant matter being in the body and removes them as fast as possible.

I always hear people being allergic to non paleo foods such as dairy/ eggs/ peanuts/ wheat/ oranges/ strawberries/  bananas/ fish but I don't hear of people being allergic to paleo foods such as raw beef or raw beef suet.

I can think of an exception to what I stated above, shellfish! I wonder whats in shell fish which causes problems?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:13:30 pm by wodgina6722 »
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 05:47:06 pm »
I've never heard of a Filipino who was allergic to bananas.
Those things grow in tons non-stop in our islands.
Maybe our ancestors lived off of them bananas as staples.

I would be poisoned if I ate those cavendish bananas being factory farmed (pesticides, chemical fertilized) by Dole and Del Monte in the Philippines.  These cavendish were recently imported from I don't know where.  We natives don't eat these cavendish, cultivated stuff, they look wierd looking so "perfect", and besides, they taste bland, good for the pigs and banana ketchup, but not for filipino human consumption.  They do export this stuff to other countries. 

These are the bananas you may be talking about.  Factory Farmed cavendish bananas are no good.

Latundan bananas are high potassium bananas and has medicinal value.  Even hospital doctors in Manila prescribe it instead of drugs.

For people who need carbs, the saba and lakatan variety are higher quality carbs and non-constipating, unlike the cooked starches.

The best bananas, and the best fruits for that matter are tree-ripened, their mineral absorption is complete.

I live in a tropical country and fruits grow all year round, we just go eat with the seasons.  Our fruits are not excessively sweet.  Their different tastes are a testament to their identity.  Fruit is not about being sweet.  You must be unfortunate that the fruit you receive in your part of the world are the wrong kinds of fruit.

We must be fair in compairing bad food.

When raw vegans say meat eating is bad, they point to cooked, condimented, factory farmed animals.
When carnivores say fruit eating is bad, they point to factory farmed, non-organic, non-tree ripened fruit.

I'm an omnivore so I just choose the best from all the Raw Paleo Diet has to offer. 
The best organic / wild ocean or land animals.
The best tree ripened, organic, wild raw fruit.
The best organic vegetables that can be eaten raw.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:51:17 pm by goodsamaritan »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 05:58:01 pm »
Hey Edwin,

I'm hearing you for sure!
I'm slightly anti-fruit but as with you, I'm definitely pro organic/grass fed/wild etc

Andrew

Albert Camus

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 06:22:26 pm »
I can think of an exception to what I stated above, shellfish! I wonder whats in shell fish which causes problems?

I experimented with oysters and green mussels we grow in Cavite province near Manila... very bad, very dirty.  When I experimented with them I was prepared.  I isolate them in my experiment.  1 full day, just oysters.  One full day, just mussels.  I came prepared with my powerful colon cleanser and my tree iodine to save me from poisoning.

Yup, both times they made me feel bad.  Puked and pooped my troubles away the very night, awful stuff. 

That was pollution talking.  Grown in polluted waters.

The safe oysters and mussels come from Iloilo and other far away provinces where the water is clean.  I eat them shellfish in expensive restaurants where they trust their sources and they proudly have a banner ad that says: Oyster Bar.  Helps increase your sperm count.  I did lab measurements years ago and my sperm count rose from 100 million / ml to 300 million / ml.

I'm sure Australian and New Zealand waters may be cleaner as well.  I have a customer with the website http://www.lyprinolusa.com and they sell supplements from green mussel oil from new zealand.  Helps the sick people who are fat deprived.  These are in effect FAT SUPPLEMENTS.  It is a combination of green mussel oil and extra virgin olive oil.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 08:00:04 pm »
Virus contaminated Oysters from France (Switzerland has import stop)

http://tinyurl.com/576qht

Nicola

Satya

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 09:50:58 pm »
We must be fair in compairing bad food.

When raw vegans say meat eating is bad, they point to cooked, condimented, factory farmed animals.
When carnivores say fruit eating is bad, they point to factory farmed, non-organic, non-tree ripened fruit.

I'm an omnivore so I just choose the best from all the Raw Paleo Diet has to offer. 
The best organic / wild ocean or land animals.
The best tree ripened, organic, wild raw fruit.
The best organic vegetables that can be eaten raw.

Beautifully written, goodsamaritan!  Sometimes I feel like it's the carnivores v. the omnivores with everyone claiming their diet best and the other somehow poisonous or wrong.  However, there is no orthodox way of eating for every single person!  Each of us is experimenting to find what works within our lives.  If that means you eat only animals, then fine.  If that means that you eat more fruit, then fine.  Do what works for you as an individual, because we are unique in many ways. 

Satya

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 10:01:57 pm »
I know Satya mentioned that fruits which people are allergic to shouldn't be counted in this thread but I think its important to point out that allergies/ anaphylactic reactions happen for a reason. The body doesn't like this plant matter being in the body and removes them as fast as possible.

I always hear people being allergic to non paleo foods such as dairy/ eggs/ peanuts/ wheat/ oranges/ strawberries/  bananas/ fish but I don't hear of people being allergic to paleo foods such as raw beef or raw beef suet.

Andrew, why thank you for bringing these allergies back up.  Did you know that the "big eight" food allergies in the US are as follows:

* Milk allergy
    * Egg allergy
    * Peanut allergy
    * Tree nut allergy
    * Seafood allergy
    * Shellfish allergy
    * Soy allergy
    * Wheat allergy

These foods account for 90% of all food allergies in my country according to wikipedia food allergy entry.

Do you see that 4 of the 8 are animal foods (3 of the 8 being true paleo animal foods)?  Do you see that only 1 of the 8 is a paleo plant food?  The fish and shellfish allergies are not an issue of pollution, although pollution can be a problem when eating seafoods.  This is a true allergic reaction to the proteins in fish and shellfish. 

Thus, it is not accurate to state that plants have toxins and animal foods cause no problems for anyone (not that you stated that, dear Andrew, but it is a theme in this thread).  I know a poor soul who cannot eat beef due to reaction to the protein, whereas lamb is fine for her.  We are unique individuals with unique needs and desires. 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:05:56 pm by Satya »

Satya

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:11:59 pm »
Sometimes I feel like it's the carnivores v. the omnivores with everyone claiming their diet best and the other somehow poisonous or wrong. 

Alright.  How many martial artist carnivores are there?  Cuz Kyle's on my omnivore team, and we are gonna whoop some a$$ if we ever really fight over which diet is better.  ;D

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:08 pm »
Not sure about eggs and fish being paleo but animal foods don't seem to be nearly as scary as those mutagenic, alkaloid containing, tumor producing evil plants!

Alright.  How many martial artist carnivores are there?  Cuz Kyle's on my omnivore team, and we are gonna whoop some a$$ if we ever really fight over which diet is better.  ;D

...we carnivore's seem to be lover's not fighters!

Albert Camus

xylothrill

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 10:03:52 am »

...we carnivore's seem to be lover's not fighters!

Ha ha! We shall fight them with love.  :-*

xylothrill

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 10:06:44 am »

There's one here: http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/athletic_diet2.html

;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk