Author Topic: Buying an unprocessed part of beef  (Read 3051 times)

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Buying an unprocessed part of beef
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »
Lately I've been buying meat in bulk. I just bought a 1/4 of a bull a week ago straight from the slaughterhouse. And by doing that I'm saving a lot of money rather than continually buying from the grocery store.

Anywho, it gets very pricey if the slaughterhouse debones and packages the meat for you and puts it into vacuum sealed consumer packages. Also they don't give me the back fat and I don't want to be eating suet, I'm starting to think it's too hard to digest. Lately I've been feeling like there's something stuck in my bowels and it might be the suet.

What I'd wanna do is just have the part sent to me and cut it and package it my self but I have no knowledge on how to do this. I mean, I have done it to geese and duck which I've hunted but not anything bigger than that. Processing a duck or a goose is actually quite simple.

Anywho, here's my question is there anything that could go wrong if I would just process it in my garage? I would just hang it up and cut it and then put it in containers.

I wouldn't care what the meat looks like. For all I care I could put it all into a grinder.

So what do you think? Possible or impossible?
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

William

Re: Buying an unprocessed part of beef
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:39:07 am »
Lately I've been buying meat in bulk. I just bought a 1/4 of a bull a week ago straight from the slaughterhouse. And by doing that I'm saving a lot of money rather than continually buying from the grocery store.

Anywho, it gets very pricey if the slaughterhouse debones and packages the meat for you and puts it into vacuum sealed consumer packages. Also they don't give me the back fat and I don't want to be eating suet, I'm starting to think it's too hard to digest. Lately I've been feeling like there's something stuck in my bowels and it might be the suet.

What I'd wanna do is just have the part sent to me and cut it and package it my self but I have no knowledge on how to do this. I mean, I have done it to geese and duck which I've hunted but not anything bigger than that. Processing a duck or a goose is actually quite simple.

Anywho, here's my question is there anything that could go wrong if I would just process it in my garage? I would just hang it up and cut it and then put it in containers.

I wouldn't care what the meat looks like. For all I care I could put it all into a grinder.

So what do you think? Possible or impossible?

Been done, by a man and wife who skinned butchered and wrapped a deer he shot. Took less than two hours, but he wrote that he cut whole muscles off.
Suggest you search the hunting/shooting forums for butchering advice.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Buying an unprocessed part of beef
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:15:46 am »
Been done, by a man and wife who skinned butchered and wrapped a deer he shot. Took less than two hours, but he wrote that he cut whole muscles off.
Suggest you search the hunting/shooting forums for butchering advice.

Ok, thanks budd.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk