Author Topic: My steaks turned brown in the fridge  (Read 31675 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
My steaks turned brown in the fridge
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:51:44 pm »
Hey my steaks turned brown in the fridge. They were wrapped in tinfoil. Are they still okay to eat raw??
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: My steaks turned brown in the fridge
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
Just try them. I've had meat turn brown and it never bothered me, just aging of the meat really.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:04:18 pm »
Hey my steaks turned brown in the fridge. They were wrapped in tinfoil. Are they still okay to eat raw??
thanks

Why are you wrapping your food in tinfoil ....

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:22:05 pm »
thanks

I suggest you leave your steaks open to air, use a hanger if you got em.  They age and taste better when they are aired while refrigerated.  I don't wrap my meats in the ref.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:27:06 am »
As Tyler says, the brown color is just part of the natural aging process as the meat begins to break down.  I often purposely purchase meats that have begun to turn brown as they taste better and since most people want "fresh" red meat the price is often marked down a good bit.

I also agree with GS that you should never store your meat wrapped in aluminum foil.  The acids that form as the meat ages will react with the aluminum and possibly dissolve some of it. Same problem when storing tomatoes. You can't store them long term in aluminum because they are acidic.  Store it in plastic or glass containers or as GS suggests, leave it open to the air.  It will dry out some and turn dark brown as it ages, but it really does taste wonderful.  BTW, it is the aluminum that is the problem.  Iron will rust but is not harmful.  Stainless Steel does contain chromium, but I've never seen any evidence that it causes a problem.  Even tomato based products can be stored long term in stainless steel, however, others have reported concerns to the contrary and take exception to the use of stainless steel.

In my case, I seldom use any metal of any kind.  It is just more convenient to use the newer high temperature low volatility plastics - the kind that can go into the oven.  These are often used as the containers for microwavable foods.

Lex

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 01:43:17 am »
I wouldnt use plastics either, regardless of their volatility, as theyre simply toxic liquids
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:17:41 am by roony »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:35:15 am »
it is an interesting phenomena, that of how wrapping paper or stacking meat turns it brown in short matter.  And I also don't care for that taste, but do like the taste of hung aged meat that's gone dark.  It's also a different color, paper brown, vs. the brown from aging.  Something is happening with the paper?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 11:39:32 am »
Oxygen is your friend. The meats I buy come in plastic packages, but when I open them I either age them in the open air or store them in mostly-glass containers (the lids are plastic and metal). Plastic is anaerobic, so I try to avoid using it, but it's not easy.

If your red meat turns light brown (it looks like the red is drained out of it, like it has anemia) instead of dark reddish-brown, then I believe it means that surface of the meat aged anaerobically, and it won't taste as good as aerobically-aged meat. It's not likely unsafe unless stored anaerobically for long periods, which risks developing lethal anaerobic bacteria like clostridium botulinum (which increasingly are killing Inuit who have been storing more of their raw fermented meats in sealed plastic). Aerobic bacteria are the friendly little guys that make the Inuit feel "high" when they eat high meat.

I'm not sure why meat on top of meat has such an anaerobic effect. Lex, do you know?

Man, all this talk of aged meat is making me wish I had a meat locker to hang meats in.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:50:08 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 03:17:40 pm »
So can i just throw my future steaks into a glass jar???
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 03:53:04 pm »
I know,  I have thinking about the same thing,  maybe a little locker

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:00:08 am »
Up until yesterday I stored my opened meat in glass, but I tried leaving my suppertime ground beef on the table while away at work today. Ooo I like it this way. I may do this regularly, given that I'm living alone right now.

Lex, is there any reason why I shouldn't just leave my meat on a table or counter to air-dry instead of putting it in a glass container or plastic in the fridge?

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk