Author Topic: Paul Chek on squating and your digestive system  (Read 33130 times)

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Chek on squating and your digestive system
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:54 am »
  Middle Easterners can be quite primitive. I remember when some north african immigrants broke into our villa in Italy and used the curtains for wiping their arses instead of the toilet-paper.

They probably thought it polite to at least leave behind a little present for you after they stole your stuff. People in southern countries are much more warm-hearted and hospitable than in the north.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 01:35:31 am »
They probably thought it polite to at least leave behind a little present for you after they stole your stuff. People in southern countries are much more warm-hearted and hospitable than in the north.

I don't know if they were Middle Eastern too, but someone did basically the same at my home while I was out.  This was like thirteen years ago.  I guess all Southern countries do that.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 01:05:07 am »
 Middle Easterners can be quite primitive. I remember when some north african immigrants broke into our villa in Italy and used the curtains for wiping their arses instead of the toilet-paper.
That appears crass on several fronts, though I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it's unintentional. North Africa is mostly Islamic, but it's not the Middle East, so people from North Africa are not Middle Easterners. All of North Africa and the Middle East should not be stereotyped based on a handful of immigrants. I had an apartment broken into, robbed and trashed by Americans. Does that mean that all Americans are primitive?

Also, your tone implies that what's "primitive" is bad by definition, despite your eating of a primitive diet. Most moderners would condemn you as an extreme primitive because of your diet and lifestyle, regardless of how much you might protest to the contrary, so it's ironic that you would use that word with others as if it were an insult. You also don't know why those intruders wiped themselves on the curtains, so it appears that you're making assumptions relating to cultural primitiveness when there could be other reasons, such as simple vandalism.

Did you know that centuries ago the first Arab travelers in Europe reported back to the Middle East that Northern Europeans were tattooed savages who didn't bathe? You’re probably aware that the Romans regarded Northern Europeans as savages. Maybe those perspectives will help you see that you shouldn't generalize and make assumptions at the expense of others and should instead take a broader historical perspective and consider circumstances, for often it's only when prejudice is aimed at us and people like us that we recognize it for what it is. Plus, if toilet paper defines what's not primitive, then does that mean that you regard the entire human race before its invention to have been "primitive"?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:11:15 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 01:59:56 am »
That appears crass on several fronts, though I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it's unintentional. North Africa is mostly Islamic, but it's not the Middle East, so people from North Africa are not Middle Easterners. All of North Africa and the Middle East should not be stereotyped based on a handful of immigrants. I had an apartment broken into, robbed and trashed by Americans. Does that mean that all Americans are primitive?

Also, your tone implies that what's "primitive" is bad by definition, despite your eating of a primitive diet. Most moderners would condemn you as an extreme primitive because of your diet and lifestyle, regardless of how much you might protest to the contrary, so it's ironic that you would use that word with others as if it were an insult. You also don't know why those intruders wiped themselves on the curtains, so it appears that you're making assumptions relating to cultural primitiveness when there could be other reasons, such as simple vandalism.

Did you know that centuries ago the first Arab travelers in Europe reported back to the Middle East that Northern Europeans were tattooed savages who didn't bathe? You’re probably aware that the Romans regarded Northern Europeans as savages. Maybe those perspectives will help you see that you shouldn't generalize and make assumptions at the expense of others and should instead take a broader historical perspective and consider circumstances, for often it's only when prejudice is aimed at us and people like us that we recognize it for what it is. Plus, if toilet paper defines what's not primitive, then does that mean that you regard the entire human race before its invention to have been "primitive"?

First of all this is all a big fuss over nothing. Secondly, while in the far  past, North African countries like Egypt might be referred to as the Near East, this is no longer the case. Generally speaking, the Middle East as a term refers to those regions with a common Arab-Muslim heritage. Turkey is reasonably considered middle-eastern as is Morocco or Libya - further south in Africa counts really as West Africa despite some Muslim populations in those areas as the Arab contingent is negligible there. Persia is the extreme east of the Middle East sphere.

Secondly, breaking into a house is not itself an unusual behaviour trait so your American analogy is quite wrong, it`s the wiping of faeces on the curtain that is particularly backward. Since it wasn`t the only time this behaviour happened and the police had already due to evidence cited North African immigrants in the area as being responsible for the 2-3 occasions, it`s quite valid to make such a comment(simply put it wasn`t the sort of behaviour practised by local thieves). Plus, my own family had had some decades of varied experience in the Middle-East and were therefore unsurprised as to what happened.

Re primitiveness:-  The very fact that they wiped their arses on the curtains rather than using the toilet paper available implies that they were not familiar with more modern methods of wiping arses. Even if they were simply practising vandalism, that would merely demonstrate a similiar level of primitivism. After all, more civilised people would break windows or just smash furniture. 

Lastly, I don`t wish to embrace absolutely all palaeo principles. Eating with a knife and fork when in front of other people sounds fine to me, plus one could argue that since rpd diets have been with us for much longer than any other diet, that all other diets are merely new faddish diets and that rpd diet is just the natural diet. And I certainly want to be able to use toilet  paper, I do think we need to adopt some  standards of modern times and not praise primitive tribes for wiping their arses with leaves or whatever nonsense. Civilisation has brought us many benefits and we need to retain the key ones, though getting rid of others such as cooked foods.

And I might add that the Romans had rather good cause to label Northern Europeans as unsanitary savages. The Romans had a very clean culture in which their citizens were expected to bathe extremely often, attend public baths etc. Makes me wish the Roman Empire had never fallen.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 02:23:28 am »
All that said, I should perhaps have referred to Middle-Eastern immigrants/criminals rather than Middle-Easterners in general, if only for exactness.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 03:27:13 am »
All that said, I should perhaps have referred to Middle-Eastern immigrants/criminals rather than Middle-Easterners in general, if only for exactness.
...and so as not to unintentionally slander the peoples of the entire Middle East and North Africa as primitive criminals, including some friends of mine, yes, thank you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:48:27 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 04:26:38 am »
...and so as not to unintentionally slander the peoples of the entire Middle East and North Africa as primitive criminals, including some friends of mine, yes, thank you.
  I never once suggested that Middle-Easterners were all criminals, so that`s just obvious paranoia, I merely referred to certain unsanitary practices not generally found in the West, even among the criminal element.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:54:47 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Savage

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »
  I never once suggested that Middle-Easterners were all criminals, so that`s just obvious paranoia, I merely referred to certain unsanitary practices not generally found in the West, even among the criminal element.

Whites & Blacks can be quite challenged. Experience dealing with them tells me not to trust them or be friends with them, never have, never will. I can always trust my primitive North African & Middle Eastern brothers and sisters though  ;D

Offline nummytummy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 05:19:29 am »

Is putting "immigrant" and "criminal" into the same slash-punctuated identity more exact than just saying "Middle-Easterners in general"? is this to say that all immigrants are criminal? or that all Middle Eastern immigrants are criminal? or that all criminals are immigrants?

seems like a pretty dangerous assumption to me.

sort of on the original topic, i've also heard that wiping with your hand and water and then washing your hand is much more healthy than wiping with toilet paper, and would certainly be much more paleo and much less wasteful for the environment. i don't remember the argument for this, but i suppose it was along the lines of less friction, less chafing, less unnaturally chemically bleached substances in contact with your sensitive nether regions.

and while breaking windows and furniture might be a more "civilised" way to vandalise someone's property, i think that smearing feces on your curtains probably has a stronger effect. kudos for efficacy? sends a pretty strong message, no?

as for squatting versus sitting on the porcelain throne, probably the turkish workers, mexican immigrants and other toilet squatters find it unbelievably unhygienic that the people in all these Western, "developed" nations would find it somehow acceptable to place their naked, urinating and defecating rear ends on the same surface as the naked, urinating and defecating rear ends of innumerable strangers carrying who knows what kinds of germs and diseases. i guess air tends to be cleaner than most surfaces, and shoes were meant to protect your feet from dirt or crap or urine or what have you.

not that i particularly enjoy encountering a toilet seat littered with dirt-encrusted shoe prints, but try looking at things from other people's points of view once in a while.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 04:13:11 pm »
Is putting "immigrant" and "criminal" into the same slash-punctuated identity more exact than just saying "Middle-Easterners in general"? is this to say that all immigrants are criminal? or that all Middle Eastern immigrants are criminal? or that all criminals are immigrants?

seems like a pretty dangerous assumption to me.
It seems that people are continuing to wrongly "reinterpret" what I actually originally said, in ever more ridiculous and absurd ways.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:38:48 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »
You did call middle easterners primitive. If you wanted to flame' this post would of been a pretty good start.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 07:08:45 pm »
as for squatting versus sitting on the porcelain throne, probably the turkish workers, mexican immigrants and other toilet squatters find it unbelievably unhygienic that the people in all these Western, "developed" nations would find it somehow acceptable to place their naked, urinating and defecating rear ends on the same surface as the naked, urinating and defecating rear ends of innumerable strangers carrying who knows what kinds of germs and diseases. i guess air tends to be cleaner than most surfaces, and shoes were meant to protect your feet from dirt or crap or urine or what have you.

not that i particularly enjoy encountering a toilet seat littered with dirt-encrusted shoe prints, but try looking at things from other people's points of view once in a while.

Actually I don't have any problem with them squatting on the toilet. I do have a problem with people who are too lazy to lift the toilet seat (am I asking too much??) and generally just don't give a damn about the habits and culture of the people who happen to to be native to the country they chose to live in.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 11:55:22 pm »
You did call middle easterners primitive. If you wanted to flame' this post would of been a pretty good start.
 I merely pointed out that not even the local criminal element in that area would even consider wiping their arses on curtains(the place, sadly, got robbed endless times by various different types of gangs because it's a holiday home with no one there outside the summer). Also note that I said "can be quite primitive", I did not suggest that this custom applied to all Middle-Easterners, merely a fraction thereof. And the context/topic at the time was the different toilet-habits of different regions of the world, so it was relevant to the discussion. I have seen poor toilet-habits in other parts of the world(eg:- France) but this was somewhat extreme by any standards.

I note no one got at me for previously describing unpleasant French or Norwegian toilet-habits, but anyway..

" Ron Paul.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 02:56:22 am »
In Malaysia and Indonesia, it seems squat toilets are common.

Our provincial folk in the Philippines squat on top of the crapper toilets.

hahaha man you just remind a weirdd expirience I had when I was in 9 grade LOLLLLLL
Me and coupe of my friends we were looking like we are 17-18 so we
asked to work in a hotel as runners(give towels to the ladies)
We also had an asian guy workin there he was very weird like little chimp in his behavior
so one day I go to the toilet at work I go to the man room of course.
I open up the toilet and I see this little asian dude with his feet squating on the toilet (the big toilet you suppose to sit on not stand and squat) the dude was all smiling I  was like "wwwwha t fuck"
then we both crackedd laughing like crazyyy thereee man.
but it was very funny to us both we didnt share the same language or culture but he understood that it was very weird for me to see him like that so we bothh laughed like crazyy

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 03:58:48 am »
Dude, it's not crazy, that's what I and at least one other forum member do and what the majority of the world's population do, including most Asians, which means it's not unusual at all that an Asian man would use the squat method. Throne toilets are the unusual novelty, historically speaking. They weren't commonly used anywhere until Thomas Crapper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper) popularized them by improving and marketing them in the late 19th century. From Crapper we got the words crapper, crapping, crap.

And squat-pooping is growing in popularity within the primal/Paleo movement. Mark Sisson, successful primal/Paleo diet author might say that "you don't know squat" about pooping ;) :

"Up until the 19th century, though, sitting toilets were a luxury reserved for the affluent. And even then, the sitting toilet was only widely adopted in the West. Everyone else squatted – and most continue to do so today. I go to Thailand fairly often. I can vouch for the prevalence of squat toilets. We’re the weird ones for sitting down to poop, if you want to go by sheer numbers. Worldwide, sitting is actually just the number two method." ("You Don't Know Squat," http://www.marksdailyapple.com/squat-poop/)

I've met Cambodian people who had never seen a throne toilet until they came here to the USA, and they didn't know what it was for. To them, the throne toilet was the strange thing, not squatting.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 05:17:09 am »
Dude, it's not crazy, that's what I and at least one other forum member do and what the majority of the world's population do

yeah, I personally can't imagine crapping regularly without squatting. I mean I do it on occasion sometimes even mid move if there is any uh difficulty. hah. but usually its like 1-2-3 done. Particularly on a RAF type diet, it seems like you want to have gravity working for you and all the muscles aligned and opened up, as opposed to all squished and upside down. The actual squatting on the seat thing makes little sense to me though as squat toilets are not like that other than those hole and the ground ones...anyway, i just sort of sit like there is an invisible seat 2 inches off the bowl. I guess it requires some leg strength? A decent alternative is sitting with legs on a trash can or something. I do that in 1 person rest-rooms sometimes. stall you can use the door..sorta, but I worry less about any potential mess in one of those anyway. The seat is always up in my male abode. :)

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 06:23:02 am »
Yes but some people just cannot squat without falling on their back including me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZCoOwn0Jo

This is the best methood I've seen its duplicates the squat position while sitting on a nice toilet bowel, just by
placing a small object next to you and putting the legs on it.

start from 5:00 the guy shows how to do it  :)

EDIT:
I would like to know if its possible to train the legs so I can relax in a deep squat position without any effort
I know alot of people that can do so but I Find it very hard to squat deep, I have long legs.
Someone told me I need to stretch my calves alot and do ankle mobilization exercises, anybody heard of that?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:28:34 am by achillezzz »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 06:56:48 am »
Yes but some people just cannot squat without falling on their back including me.

This is the best methood I've seen its duplicates the squat position while sitting on a nice toilet bowel, just by
placing a small object next to you and putting the legs on it.
Yeah, but what did humans do before throne toilets and outhouses? Surely the entire human race had to have squatted to go before this, as with all primates, yes? I figure a few generations of Westerners squatting would enable the vast majority of Westerners to squat once again, just as most Westerners did just several generations ago. Perhaps some people's body structure makes it completely impossible, I don't know, but either their ancestors found a way to do it despite that body structure or the body structure is a very recent mutation. Seems like the former would be more likely.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:02:48 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 09:47:08 pm »
How I got to be comfortable in a low squat short term and moderately comfortable longer term:

a) doing the squatting motion (up and down) going as deep as I could when I went down.
b) box squats: squatting motion down on a box or whatever that you can sit on, then get up again (there are videos for this on youtube)
c) going into deep squat position with the legs very wide, then pressing the knees apart with my elbows and moving the hip from one leg to the other, stretching.

Putting the legs further apart and pointing the toes outside further makes it easier.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 08:01:40 am »
Thanks for the tips, Hans. Mark Sisson has posted a video on how to gradually improve your squatting: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/exercisebodybuilding/squat-motivation-thread/msg47479/#msg47479

People with extra long legs may have to squat a bit differently and take longer to adapt than those with shorter legs. For example, when in the deepest squat, such as for sitting, you may have to put your arms around your legs instead of over them, or keep your heels up, or put one knee down, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk