Author Topic: forced to eat grains- help?  (Read 7096 times)

Offline uph0

• Forager
    • View Profile
forced to eat grains- help?
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:52:43 pm »
For the past half year or so, I managed to completely eliminate grains from my diet. However, I did this by secretly disposing or putting back the rice my family makes me eat during dinner (I'm in high school). I really wish I didn't have to this but my parents insists that rice is healthy and needed for 'balanced diet' and all that stuff. Anyways, I failed to convince them to let me choose what I eat. Problem is, now I've been caught throwing away rice. :(
This resulted in  my parents sitting at the table, even though they were done eating, until they saw me stuff rice into my mouth. I managed to spit some or maybe most of the rice out later but I probably swallowed some and I feel utterly frustrated right now. I don't know if I can manage the spitting trick without getting caught, especially since they are on alert. Any help for discretely disposing rice? Or convincing parents?

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: forced to eat grains- help?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »

If you eat rice once or twice it's not going to kill you...

You could have said something like "it gives you stomach pains/ cant digest that well" etc or some other thing they could believe.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:16:01 am »
I'm Asian (Chinese) and I was forced to have a cooked reunion dinner with my family and relatives. It was non-stop cooked with rice.

But, on my birthday, I ate a ton of sashimi. :)

Just say you feel tired and restless when you consume grains. If you say it's a tummy ache, they will not blame it on the rice.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 05:04:11 am »
you can try telling them that eating rice with meat makes digesting difficult. (bad food combining)
rice + meat = opposite digestion needed.
This happens to me.
Digestion takes too long with a rice + meat combination.

You can  try eating some rice in a separate meal.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 07:40:03 am »
Well if none of the earlier posts help and you simply have to eat rice just make sure its whole brown rice and that its organic.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:15:39 am »
If you can handle eating rice for one week, I would challenge them with something like: "So you say that rice, the food of little farmers, is healthier than meat, the food of powerful warriors? OK, then let's test whether that's correct. You choose the test:

1) We all eat nothing but rice, (insert their favorite fruit or veggie) and water for one week, then we all eat nothing but meat or fish, animal fat and water for one week, or ...
2) You eat nothing but rice, (fruit/veg) and water for one week and I will eat nothing but meat, fat and water. At the end we will see who feels better, or ...
3) I conduct the test on my own and you watch me.

If I feel better on the rice and veg than meat, I will continue to eat rice. If not, then you agree not to force me to eat it again. Is this not a fair test?"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:21:33 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:22:10 am »
I have a pretty good feeling they wouldn't set there for more than an hour or two. Knowing me all I would do is set there a smile really big at them till they gave up. But I really like PaleoPhil's idea. Challenging them may be a fair idea.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:32:28 am »
Paleophil's idea can possibly be very harmful, and damage the body since it is zero-carb

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 06:57:39 am »
To think that putting a healthy person eating rice and vegetables directly onto a raw meat and fat diet and not expecting possibly problems arising is dead wrong.Slowly ease into it...

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 08:19:01 am »
How much are they making you eat anyway???
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:05:14 pm »
... parents sitting at the table, even though they were done eating, until they saw me stuff rice into my mouth. I managed to spit some or maybe most of the rice out later but I probably swallowed some and I feel utterly frustrated right now. I don't know if I can manage the spitting trick without getting caught, especially since they are on alert. Any help ...

It looks like it has nothing to do with your health but with their power trip for some reason pushing grain on you.  This is bad for not only your physical health but probably other areas of your being.  Could you explain to them that your nutrition needs to be just that, and not a power trip?  That you feel better eating without grain.  If that doesn't work, do something like what PP suggests.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 01:11:47 pm »
When you are dependent on someone, (parents, government, etc), then you must abide by their rules.  My children faced the exact same issues that you are facing.  They wanted to live at home to avoid the risks and responsibilities of living on their own, but they also wanted the freedom to live their lives by their own rules.  Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  If you are going to eat your parents food, then you must eat what they prepare for you.  When you are able to purchase your own food, then you've earned the right to eat whatever you want.

When my children ate at home they ate what we prepared - whether they liked it or not.  If they chose not to eat what we fixed and purchase their own food then that was up to them.  Both my children got jobs as soon as they could so that they could afford to purchase the food the wanted to eat, the clothing they wanted to wear, and purchase things like their own TV.  They still had to follow rules of behavior as long as they chose to live at home, but their goal was to become independent of us as fast as they could so that they could live the way they wanted.

Every parent thinks they know best for their children, and all children think they know better than their parents.  This will be true when you become a parent as well.  You'll be insisting that your kids eat paleo friendly foods and they will want french fries and sodas. You may bitterly complain that life is not fair, but it is the way it is.

When you can pay for your own food, shelter, and clothing then you've earned the right to eat, wear, and do whatever you want.  Until then, stop complaining and eat a little rice to keep peace with your parents.  I promise it won't kill you any faster than what you now think are the 'perfect' foods.

Lex

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:43:44 pm »
When................................................Lex
-9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999!!111
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:22 am »
-9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999!!111

Hmmmmm, not sure but I get the impression that Miles may disagree with me on this one? ;) 

Lex

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 01:32:51 am »
You need to move out. Grains are disgusting. Can you find a roommate?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 04:04:35 am »
When you are dependent on someone, (parents, government, etc), then you must abide by their rules.  My children faced the exact same issues that you are facing.  They wanted to live at home to avoid the risks and responsibilities of living on their own, but they also wanted the freedom to live their lives by their own rules.  Sorry, it doesn't work that way. ....
Sure, but if the parents are reasonable and not irrationally dogmatic, then an appeal to their reason by requesting a fair test should not be out of order. If they refuse then the child is at their mercy and if it were me I guess I would try to get by eating as little rice as possible, but I wouldn't lie about it when asked and thus undercut their trust in me.

If you are going to eat your parents food, then you must eat what they prepare for you.
Yes, but there are some limits to that. If your parents are insane and give you sulphuric acid to drink, obviously you wouldn't want to do that. Eating some rice doesn't seem like too much for them to ask. My guess is that because it is a very cultural food that they can't imagine anyone not eating it and assume it must be healthy for many Asian cultures to eat it as a staple--which is where a test could be very eye-opening for them. Luckily, rice seems to be less harmful to health in general than wheat, so if my parents got emotional over my not eating rice I would probably comply but request that I not have to eat it more than once or twice a week, to avoid developing or maintaining an immune response to it.

If they chose not to eat what we fixed and purchase their own food then that was up to them.  Both my children got jobs as soon as they could so that they could afford to purchase the food the wanted to eat,
That's another good idea. I like that.

This will be true when you become a parent as well.  You'll be insisting that your kids eat paleo friendly foods and they will want french fries and sodas. You may bitterly complain that life is not fair, but it is the way it is.
Interestingly, my Paleo nephews don't request sodas or lots of junk foods. They only request french fries and baked stuffed mushrooms at restaurants (their father expounds on the wonders of baked stuffed mushrooms--so that's why they decided they would like it), plus fruit popsicles at home, and they only request the french fries and popsicles because their mother decided early on that those were treats they could have. In contrast, my biggest junk-food-junky nephew makes demands at most meals--including special rules on how the food is to be prepared and served--and even when everything is done as he demanded, he often then refuses to eat it. If my nephews are any indicator, it seems that if a child is put on Paleo early enough he will be less likely to become fussy, demanding and addicted to his foods.

...stop complaining and eat a little rice to keep peace with your parents.  I promise it won't kill you any faster than what you now think are the 'perfect' foods.

Lex

Complaining does tend to cause more problems than it helps, but if my child politely and positively requested not to have to eat a single food, or not to have to eat it say more than once a week, I would have no problem with that as long as he was eating something else that contained any essential nutrients I thought the missing food contained. This is not a case of the child not eating a food just because he thinks it's "yucky." It's a case where the child honestly thinks the food is unhealthy for him after having investigated the question. I've never personally seen a child request to avoid a food on this basis (as a matter of fact, my junk food nephews will refuse to try a food if they hear it IS supposed to be healthy), and I would actually find it quite heartening and would hope that other parents would also. I have heard of teenagers adopting veganism and refusing all meat, sometimes on health grounds--which I would then explain that it's actually NOT healthy and insist that they eat at least some animal foods (perhaps eggs and wild fish, for example).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 04:32:43 am »
    My throat swelled at dinner every night, so it took me a long time to eat what they decided to serve and in the quantities they decided to serve.  I was stuck for hours every night them watching me that I didn't leave the table while I eventually got the food somehow to pass down my throat.  It didn't ever seem to.  I couldn't swallow.  It kind of just absorbed into my mouth.

I did get it all down each night, cleaned my plate (no sneaking and all in my mouth), steak practically every night (cooked), but I stayed way thinner than anyone would want to be.  When I stopped eating the food the decided to inflict on me for my own good, I gain weight I needed to gain. 

If this kid's parents are staring him down forcing him to eat something that is not nourishing him, they should wake up.  Not everyone can eat what the next guy can.  Maybe it's not the case with him.  Rice may be good for him.  I assume he's a teen anyway. 

My parents didn't care whether I ate by that age.  I was lucky, if you want to see it that way.  They were wonderful people, they just didn't under my apparent allergies, and it wasn't their fault.  I was just unusual and polite.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 06:35:50 am »
Yeah, one of my Paleo nephews is too polite too. He only ate a little of his burger at a restaurant. He usually finishes his food, so I was surprised, but he didn't make any complaint about it, so I was going to finish it for him. I ate some and found it was way overdone and tasted like ash. Disgusting. I told him it's OK to say when something tastes really bad at a restaurant.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 08:45:01 pm »
Your parents have an obsession with rice. Everybody around them are eating rice and may also spread the word about how healthy it is.
If you want to make them accept the way you want to eat, it takes some discipline and guts. For me it was hard at first too. Although, my parents didn't mind the fact of eating only meat ( maybe because they are undereducated at this point ) but it was difficult for them to accept me eating my meat raw. It took some discipline and faith but they just got used to it. I first started to eat some common raw foods like sashimi as they have heard about it and know it is eatable. And then I started to slowly eat some raw meat under their nose. I had some rejection from them at first but my discipline and increasing health just proved my eating to be true.

You just can't drop the rice and ask for meat because people live by their habits (your parents). When a habit is broken, brain understands that something is wrong. So if you were eating rice for years there is no need to drop it out from day one. Better start decreasing the amount day by day. And tell your parents some stories about the grains and paleo man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk