Author Topic: Any problems with ground beef?  (Read 23105 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Any problems with ground beef?
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:18:45 pm »
Hi as i mentioned in other posts my local whole foods carries raw grass fed ground beef and its pretty cheap. Anyway, I know obviously cooking meat is dangerous and although theres not much proof, freezing it may also damage bee. But what about grinding it? When they grind it, is it at fast speeds that can somehow damage the beef? Any thoughts on it?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Any problems with ground beef?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:31:49 pm »
Most butchers adulterate ground beef with additives (fillers, preservatives, flavoring).
I also personally do not feel as much energy after eating a meal of ground beef as I do after eating a cut of meat.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:59:13 am »
Even when its grass fed???
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:43:29 pm »
never had a problem with ground meats

Offline raw meat man

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »
I wait until the meat is slimy and a bit grey looking. No way in nature would meat be wrapped in plastic and kept in a freezer or fridge! There is no fridges in nature and thats why people get food poisoning cos they put their meat in the freezer and the healthy bacteria like Ecoli, Botulism, Listeria, Salmonella go all whacko and make us sick.

Watch AV on the 'Ripleys Believe It Or Not' youtube and that is how you need to eat your meat. Black or really dark green is the best for a healthy liver!! If you get really sick that means your body is just detoxing from other stuff I think.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 06:09:24 am »
This thread is about ground beef not frozen beef?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:43:46 am »
Even when its grass fed???
It's much less likely but you never know. It really depends on the seller.
I get very clear reactions if a company adds stuff to my meat. I can vouch Slanker's doesn't add anythign to theirs but I haven't had other national sellers' products.
As for energy levels; yes, even with grassfed I notice less energy with ground meats that solid cuts. Even fresh vs. fresh which I get from my local seller.
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:52:43 am »
djr - i know you've posted this before, but what are the cuts of meat that you like best?

also, as for energy difference between ground and cuts of meat.. is this something subtle or obvious to you?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:05:01 am »
djr - i know you've posted this before, but what are the cuts of meat that you like best?
I prefer Chuck. I get a primal for less than $4 a pound every other week so the price can't be beat. It's also one of the fattiest cuts and is quite flavorful. :)

also, as for energy difference between ground and cuts of meat.. is this something subtle or obvious to you?
It's subtle. I didn't notice it the first time until I ate ground meat for 3 days in a row and then went back to the chuck. I can feel some difference after a day now that I'm looking for it but it's not a huge difference in the short-term.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:55:50 am »
Well that ground beef I bought in bulk, it's going dark all the way through now and the taste is getting less pleasant each time.. Is there any point I should worry about eating it? It's in tight-seal bags(~500g each). It's Vacuum-packed but since it's mince it doesn't work properly. The meat is all exposed because it's mince so it's weakened and the bacteria are free to multiply like mad. I'm not sure if it's too much bacteria... Or if not, whether it may be soon... I should have frozen it immediately like it advised =/ I won't get mince again anyway... I don't know how similar it is to bacteria in thawed frozen meat or cooked meat, since it's minced. Anyone help answer?

Thanks.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:45:17 am »
Well that ground beef I bought in bulk, it's going dark all the way through now and the taste is getting less pleasant each time.. Is there any point I should worry about eating it? It's in tight-seal bags(~500g each). It's Vacuum-packed but since it's mince it doesn't work properly. The meat is all exposed because it's mince so it's weakened and the bacteria are free to multiply like mad. I'm not sure if it's too much bacteria... Or if not, whether it may be soon... I should have frozen it immediately like it advised =/ I won't get mince again anyway... I don't know how similar it is to bacteria in thawed frozen meat or cooked meat, since it's minced. Anyone help answer?

Thanks.

its fine to eat

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 11:23:25 am »

I've eaten hundreds of kilos of mince over the years from supermarkets to butchers across my country, some was vacuum sealed some not, some tasted amazing and others disgusting. Just eat it! you'll live.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »
What i really need to know is if when ground beef is made if the blades are grinding at extremely high speeds. I heard when you use a juicer that juices at high speed it can actually damage the chlorophyll.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 07:58:17 pm »
Personally, I detest the taste and texture of raw ground beef, though this could have changed since I haven't eaten it in a year or so. The only time I've had a bad reaction to raw food was when I had some of slankers ground beef. I got a fever and felt horrible for about 5 hours within an hour of ingesting it. I definitely can't say whether it was the beef but it doesn't feel right when I eat it and I enjoy real cuts so much better so there's no real point to it. If price is an issue, short ribs and chuck are pretty cheap and about the same price.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 08:06:16 pm »
... bulk, it's going dark all the way through now and the taste is getting less pleasant each time.. Is there any point I should worry about eating it? It's in tight-seal bags(~500g each). It's Vacuum-packed but since it's mince it doesn't work properly. The meat is all exposed because it's mince so it's weakened and the bacteria are free to multiply like mad. I'm not sure if it's too much bacteria... Or if not, whether it may be soon... I should have frozen it immediately like it advised =/ I won't get mince again anyway... I don't know how similar it is to bacteria in thawed frozen meat or cooked meat, since it's minced. Anyone help answer? ...

I would not keep meat in a tightly sealed bag if I wanted to keep it good.  Meat needs aerobic bacteria to my understanding.  Keep it open or loosely tossed into a glass jar.  Don't freeze it.  Throw it out.  Maybe some starving dog will eat it.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 08:11:40 pm »
Personally, I detest the taste and texture of raw ground beef, though this could have changed since I haven't eaten it in a year or so. The only time I've had a bad reaction to raw food was when I had some of slankers ground beef. ... If price is an issue, short ribs and chuck are pretty cheap and about the same price.

The first time I tried beef it was from one of the same places AV would literally get from.  I got the best ground beef they had (pre-ground because of the advice of my friend who turned me onto raw meat).  I also had a bad reaction.  I asked AV about it, and he said either metal powder from the grinding machine or residues of cleansers from the counter etc there must have given me the reaction.  I don't trust ground meat, and am leery of beef because of this.  If I want ground meat I grind it right before I eat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 11:54:09 pm »
... If price is an issue, short ribs and chuck are pretty cheap and about the same price.
I buy 100% grassfed and all the other cuts of meat are always more expensive than the ground meat. It took some time getting used to ground bison and beef, but eventually I did. I started eating ground meats because venison was my favorite raw meat and was only available in sausage or plain ground meat. I liked the ground venison the first time I tried it. Bison was my second favorite meat and that was also only available ground at my market (a supermarket further away has bison steaks, but they are very expensive and I actually prefer the ground meat now--maybe because it's a bit fattier). Now I think I prefer the stronger taste of the grassfed ground beef, though I like to mix it up for variety.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 06:34:46 am »
I prefer Chuck. I get a primal for less than $4 a pound every other week so the price can't be beat. It's also one of the fattiest cuts and is quite flavorful. :)

@Djr or anyone who eats chuck cut,

Since you eat one of the fattier cut, do you still have to eat extra fat (suet, marrow, etc) ? If yes, how much extra fat do you eat?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 06:44:31 am »
@Djr or anyone who eats chuck cut,

Since you eat one of the fattier cut, do you still have to eat extra fat (suet, marrow, etc) ? If yes, how much extra fat do you eat?
I add extra fat.
As mentioned elsewhere I eat roughly 3 parts meat to 1 part fat. I oftentimes use suet but will use regular fat and marrow as well depending on my instincts. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Taste Sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 06:51:54 am »
Personally, I detest the taste and texture of raw ground beef, though this could have changed since I haven't eaten it in a year or so. The only time I've had a bad reaction to raw food was when I had some of slankers ground beef. I got a fever and felt horrible for about 5 hours within an hour of ingesting it. I definitely can't say whether it was the beef but it doesn't feel right when I eat it and I enjoy real cuts so much better so there's no real point to it. If price is an issue, short ribs and chuck are pretty cheap and about the same price.

Well I eat slankers raw ground beef yesterday and my stomach is still growling today. I also have a stomach pain and probably going to skip on my meals. I too don't know whether it was due to it being ground, being frozen, or being raw. But I am alive and still learning.  :D

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 07:01:29 am »
Does anyone eat pork fat? I have access to unrendered lard and fat under the rind but both taste pretty bad.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 09:02:59 am »
    Fat from pigs that were raised outdoors is one of the highest sources of Vitamin D by far.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:41 am »
Makes sense thats why pigs have pink skin and not fur. Same as humans...to be able to synthesize vitamin d from the sun.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 09:29:50 am »
I also could get some of that pork rind. In the supermarket it's called 'Pork rind for crackling'... but they won't sell the lamb/beef MUSCLE FAT 'scraps', I mean COME ON!

If it's just rind from 'normal' farmed pigs, what do people think of that raw for fat..?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:00 am »
Does anyone eat pork fat? I have access to unrendered lard and fat under the rind but both taste pretty bad.

i've gotten some from the farm i buy from and it tasted really good to me... much softer/creamier than beef... i loved it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk