Author Topic: How much fruit do all of the raw paleo omnivores eat?  (Read 19656 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
How much fruit do all of the raw paleo omnivores eat?
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:45:30 am »
Hi I just started being full raw paleo today and found myself eating a large amount of fruit. Unfortunately I have limited access to grass fed beef atm but Im hoping to get more soon. Anyways just wondering how much fruit, veggies, and nuts are all of you eating?
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: How much fruit do all of the raw paleo omnivores eat?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:17:50 am »
I learned to instinctively limit sweet fruit.
Stick to highly hydrating fruit.
Papaya, watermelon, young coconuts, avocado.
1 or 2 servings a day.

Nutritious high vitamin c guavas are okay.

But now that I have switched to high fat, I can only eat 1 ripe yellow mango a day at most, or 1 apple a day at most.... and I would only do that once or twice a week.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:23:03 am »
It all varies. Instinctos, at one end of the RPD spectrum, eat  only c.10% of their diets in the form of raw animal food with the rest being raw plant foods(that's the vague figures usually touted). At the other extreme, you have the raw zero-carbers who don't eat any raw plant foods at all.

My raw plant food intake varies considerably. It all depends on whether I have a decent supplier of raw 100% grassfed meats(or preferably raw wild game) around. If not, my raw fruit-intake goes up considerably, otherwise it's c.10%. Also, my fruit-intake is much higher in the summer than in winter as eating raw meats too much makes me too hot in summer.
I rarely eat raw veg; just the very occasional raw salad,radishes or carrots. I'll eat plenty of raw wild samphire in the summer but that's not just because of the taste but  because it's free , available in my garden, and might as well be used.

I avoid raw nuts most of the time as I became more hypersensitive to the antinutrients in the raw nuts than in pre-RPD days. I can easily handle 1 single handful of raw nuts but I am no longer able to scoff huge amounts of raw nuts without some minor reactions. Soaking nuts in water for 24 hours beforehand helps but it's not 100% effective.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »
I'm a raw facultative carnivore currently getting about 1-3% of my calories from organic berries and greens.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:02:20 am »
I learned to instinctively limit sweet fruit.
Stick to highly hydrating fruit.
Papaya, watermelon, young coconuts, avocado.
1 or 2 servings a day.
Unfortunately I live in a state in the US that has young coconuts but since they are imported they have to be dunked in an anti fungal ???
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:33:15 am »
I eat 1 small serving of fruit/honey a day. just enough to prevent ketosis.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:36:16 pm »
I eat a lot. Fruits & veggies daily for the bulk of my meals, then gorge on meats a couple days a week.

-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:35:40 pm »
if you count coconuts as fruit, I eat 2 coconuts a day for hydration in this hot Manila summer these days.  Add some ice.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:38:42 am »
if you count coconuts as fruit, I eat 2 coconuts a day for hydration in this hot Manila summer these days.  Add some ice.
Do you eat brown coconuts or the young white coconuts?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 07:20:17 am »
Do you eat brown coconuts or the young white coconuts?

Where I used to live we called the yellow coconuts Phillipino.  Their water was the sweetest of all the coconut varieties around.  I used to practically live on them, and that was by choice.  I wasn't omnivore.  I was basically fruitarian, rarely ate anything but.  I was pretty paleo though, the lifestyle.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:08 am »
I eat a lot. Fruits & veggies daily for the bulk of my meals, then gorge on meats a couple days a week.

Hi David,

If you have time, could you give us-me an idea of what that might look like over those few days? Has this always been your approach?

I'm pondering moving away from severely restricting carbs, and have been under the impression of avoiding regular veg matter entirely as not to interfere with raw meat digestion and transit etc...

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:23:06 pm »
Let's see...mornings I get up and eat fruit (or a Larabar if I'm pressed for time) and maybe a handful of raw almonds or some sort of nut butter. Lunch will be salad (lettuce or cabbage based, plus other veggies & a dressing of raw hemp oil & sea salt) or just some veggies. I'll grab a snack mid-day (apple, etc.) and then a later meal that's usually a big salad, also.

When I add meats, it used to be sashimi several times a week. I'm switching to eating less fish and replacing it with beef, bison, deer, and the like. I tend to be vegan for days at a time, then rage on raw/rarw meats for a day or two.

Rinse, repeat.

No, this has not always been my approach. But it is a pattern I find myself coming back to regardless of my experiments. It's how I eat if I give no thought to my eating habits. Mostly vegan, then gorge of meats.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 12:33:39 am »

No, this has not always been my approach. But it is a pattern I find myself coming back to regardless of my experiments. It's how I eat if I give no thought to my eating habits. Mostly vegan, then gorge of meats.

Thanks,

Yeah, I didn't mean in a lifetime, more if you had been doing raw paleo w/o much plants and minimal fruits and drifted towards your current form etc...

so when you say meat, do you mean mostly lean, like with the sashimi, or do you mean you do days of meat and lots of animal fat w/o plants as well? It seems to be more plant foods and plant fats, than fruits than I was expecting, kinda like a raw Cordain diet. I've seen some ex vegans that are now eating raw fish along with their fruit diet, but they seem to see it as a dietary supplement, rather than a shifting in fuel.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 07:50:18 pm »
Meat? When sashimi, it's tuna & salmon, mostly. I also like shrimp (but not raw). I started eating fowl again, in small doses. I never liked it raw, but I took to eating ground turkey burger so I can do it tataki (quickly seared). For some reason I like it that way. Wondering if the dislike is all in my head. Anyway...

Red meats? Mostly lean. Beef, deer, bison, and the like. I actually ate pork tenderloin the other day. Hadn't eaten pig in years.

Basically, it's all lean meats. I don't eat them exclusively, I just add lots of meat to what I'm already eating, so there are still quite a bit of fruits & veggies, though I'll often find that I don't eat nuts or nut butters.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:13:00 am »
One drawback to eating high-carb was an increased appetite for me. I would keep on buying huge amounts of raw organic fruits. Don't you find it ups your food-budget somewhat?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 02:22:22 am »
I eat 1 small serving of fruit/honey a day. just enough to prevent ketosis.  
It doesn't prevent ketosis, as you probably still eat only a little bit of carbs. You wouldn't be in ketosis if you ate about 150 g of them.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 03:00:23 am »
well, i eat about 60g a day, unless i've got a big physical efford-then 100-120g
and my weight is 57kg :P

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 03:14:25 am »
well, i eat about 60g a day, unless i've got a big physical efford-then 100-120g
and my weight is 57kg :P
60 g a day is definitely still ketogenic diet - not ketonuria, but ketonemia

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 10:26:02 am »
Not very much at all. I would eat more if it was around but the way I do my shopping, mostly from a local co op or farmers market or ordering from Slanker's, I don't find myself in grocery stores with produce sections very often. It probably saves me a lot of money. I have a mango sitting on my windowsill ripening.

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 02:47:52 pm »
60 g a day is definitely still ketogenic diet - not ketonuria, but ketonemia

i thought ketosis=ketonuria. i was wrong than  :P
i dont see the difference if i got ketonemia or not. but when i got ketonuria i cant sleep and i have got a headache. i dont like fruits but i have to eat some carbs to avoid this >:

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:17 pm »
ketonemia is beneficial

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 08:22:56 pm »
One drawback to eating high-carb was an increased appetite for me. I would keep on buying huge amounts of raw organic fruits. Don't you find it ups your food-budget somewhat?

No, not at all. I spend less when NOT eating meat. But I eat a LOT. When I eat meat, I often eat 1/2 pound to a pound at one sitting (and I eat more than once a day).

Lettuce & bananas, for example, are much less expensive (per unit of measure) than the cheapest meats.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 10:13:41 pm »
I spend less when NOT eating meat.  
In depends on the place where you live. On Iceland, for example, the fruits are really expensive.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 12:06:16 am »
True.

I also grow my own veggies in the warmer months.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline actionhero

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 05:28:34 am »
"How much fruit do all of the raw paleo omnivores eat?"

500-700 cal on days when eating raw lean meat (most of my days)
1800-2200 cal on 100% fruit only days (a couple times a month)*
ZERO cal on days eating high fat raw (like fatty ground beef)

*When I skip meat for a day and eat fruit only the next day I drool like a dog when I see a piece of raw meat. I don't even have the patience to cut the meat into small pieces before I eat it. I just cut 150gr from the 1kg piece of meat I buy and rip it off with my teeth from the fork. But I have definitely noticed some benefits doing a fruit only day every once in a while. You get a boost in energy and awareness and the taste/desire for raw meat increases which might be helpful for people who say they get bored of eating meat daily. My 1 day of sweet tropical fruit is like heaven on earth. But do it longer than 3 days and you will notice that you are depriving yourself of something important.

A P E X   P R E D A T O R

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk