Author Topic: Bone marrow vs suet?  (Read 8336 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Bone marrow vs suet?
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »
Hi just wondering if I could only have one of these sources of animal fat which would you take? Im only concerned about nutrition not of how it tastes. I heard that bone marrow is very very high in efas so they are probably better but any info is good.
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Bone marrow vs suet?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:04:49 pm »
Hi just wondering if I could only have one of these sources of animal fat which would you take? Im only concerned about nutrition not of how it tastes. I heard that bone marrow is very very high in efas so they are probably better but any info is good.
thanks

Bone marrow all the time if I could afford it.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:36:43 pm »
Suet is difficult to digest for a few plus marrow contains all sorts of pufas and stem-cells, and other nutrients which are more useful, IMO. Anyway, I feel healthier on raw marrow than on raw suet. I view suet as something to eat only if no other fats are available. It's so bland re taste anyway.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:04:20 pm »
You know, there is no true answer to your question, it'll be different for every individual.

Suet digests very well for me.  Marrow on the other hand is not so much.  So I always pick suet over marrow.
I use suet with beef and some organs.  Lamb meat has plenty of fat deposits so I do not add any extra fat to lamb.

So try both and see which one works best for you.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:06 am »
People have repeatedly said in this forum that marrow tastes better than suet but I find that the supermarket marrow I buy tastes nasty and stinks, particularly one brand of it that I recall has a Mexican name, whereas the vacuum-packed 100% grassfed suet I buy from the healthfood store has a mild taste and odor unless it gets damp. I find the supermarket's suet is also nasty tasting and riddled with connective tissue. So my guess is that vacuum-packed 100% grassfed marrow would be tasty if I had a source for it. For those of you who buy marrow, where do you get it and how is it packed?

Thanks

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:52:10 am »
For those of you who buy marrow, where do you get it and how is it packed?
I buy it from my farmer. It's vacuum packed in heavy plastic, two or three bones per bag.
I generally prefer suet to marrow. The first couple bites of marrow are tastier than suet but if I've had it recently it's not as pleasant after those first couple bites.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:30:56 am »
I prefer marrow, but will also eat suet.  Marrow, when fresh, has a pleasant creamy flavor that reminds me of a mixture between butter and parmesan cheese. 

Phil, what supermarket do you get your marrow and suet from?  I usually special order from City Market.  I've only bought marrow once, as it came in a 6 pound bag and I only just finished it.  I've got another special order in there, just waiting for them to fill it as they don't get marrow every time they get a side of grass-fed-and-finished beef delivered.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:52:05 am »
I usually special order from City Market.  I've only bought marrow once, as it came in a 6 pound bag and I only just finished it.  I've got another special order in there, just waiting for them to fill it as they don't get marrow every time they get a side of grass-fed-and-finished beef delivered.

Thanks for the tip, Eric. It occurred to me after I posted my question that I could ask the Healthy Living Market, which stocks grassfed suet, to order grassfed marrow for me. They've been very accommodating to me there. I occasionally use the City Market too, so that would be another option. What price did you pay /lb and what source did it come from?

Up to now I've been getting it from the supermarkets. The worst marrow was at Hannaford's--avoid it unless you're OK with rendering it.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:00:51 pm »
I get my raw marrow direct from (online) farms as farmers' markets are hopeless in that regard.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 03:42:35 am »
I've seen raw marrow (boneless) for sale online at about 40 USD per pound. That got me wondering - is that a typical price, a good deal, or a high price? I can get wild game marrow bones for free, but it won't be hunting season for a while yet.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 04:12:29 am »
I've seen raw marrow (boneless) for sale online at about 40 USD per pound. That got me wondering - is that a typical price, a good deal, or a high price? I can get wild game marrow bones for free, but it won't be hunting season for a while yet.
I used to get raw bone-marrow routinely at 1 pound(sterling)  fifty pence a kilo, including the weight of the bone, multiply that by something like 1.6/1.7? to make dollars. 40 USD a pound  sounds like extortion.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:33:29 pm »
You're probably paying for the 'work' that went into getting it out of the bone.

I think they're apples and oranges.  Is liver or kidneys better for you?

I thought you said, Tyler that you tried to use marrow as your fat source and had problems because of the monopolysaturates or whatever they are?

I just think you would have a much easier time getting loads of suet, over marrow (depends on how much fat you're eating a day)

I would eat them both, which doesn't help you since you seem to have to choose one over the other? or can you get suet one week, marrow bones the next? 
That's not paleo.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »
No, I never had any issues with marrow re monounsaturates or anything else. And yes you can get both if you have them delivered to your door etc.

" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk