Author Topic: whats wrong with grains  (Read 13348 times)

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
whats wrong with grains
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:00:54 am »
As long as they dont cover more than 20 per cent of your overral diet, and as long as they are soaked and sprouted, they shoudlnt be a problem ?

Also, Mercola is against excessive fruit because of the sugar content, yet how do grains compare ?

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: whats wrong with grains
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:27:35 am »
Here's my theory and the reason why I don't eat them.

Grains are 'seeds' and when you sprout them they grow into grass. And grass is 100% not edible for humans. So why should we eat the seeds, that are even tougher and harder to digest then grass?
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:12 am »
ok

so what should happen to all the grains in the world , assuming everyone ate a paleothic diet ? make them into clothes ?

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:27:30 am »
Haha don't know.. feed them to what ever animal can digest them
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:45:40 am »
Most grains have proteins that are allergenic for many people, to a lesser or greater extent. The most notorious is gluten, which many people are finding they are allergic to after eating it for decades. In addition grains have a much less than optimal fatty acid profile for the small amount of fat they have (for human nutrition) and are in large part carbohydrates which many people think is a poor source to derive much of your calories from. Lastly most modern grains do not grow in the wild but are instead derivative of wild seeds and have been bred for centuries to have characteristics that no natural or wild foods have. Because of this humans, or any other animal for that matter, has only been able to consume these foods for maximum 10,000 years as they didn't exist before then. According to what is currently believed in evolutionary theory that is a small amount of time for a species to adapt to a very different food, especially with the small amount of selective pressure humans have vs. other animals, because of our ability to alter our environment so much more than other animals.

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:53:51 am »
okay, which is worse, grains or raw dairy

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:33:12 am »
In my opinion grains. Dairy at least can have a lot of fat, good fatty acid profile, and is not cooked. But in your personal experience you might do better on grains than raw dairy.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:37:43 am »
As long as they dont cover more than 20 per cent of your overral diet, and as long as they are soaked and sprouted, they shoudlnt be a problem ?
In addition to what raw kyle said there are still enzyme inhibitors even after sprouting grains.

Also, Mercola is against excessive fruit because of the sugar content, yet how do grains compare ?
In my opinion Mercola doesn't exactly know what hes talking about in certain situations. In particular when he talks about sugar in fruit. He always talks about all the studies done on how unhealthy fructose which is fruit sugar. But all the studies were done on overly processed fructose and are essentially useless when talking about fresh unprocessed fruit.
okay, which is worse, grains or raw dairy
I would rather have raw dairy at least its more nutritious and has a more favorable fat and protein ratio.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 05:25:50 am »
Here's two great articles that are easy to read that should get you started.

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/23/the-argument-against-cereal-grains.html
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2010/3/12/the-argument-against-cereal-grains-ii.html

Basically, grains have anti-nutrients that will disable the body to perform its duties in some manner. The sensitivity to these agents is highly variable but there is no reason to eat them as they provide no nutrition that other vegetation sources can provide without the anti-nutrition.

Sprouting, fermenting, removing the hull and cooking can lessen these effects.

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 05:34:49 am »
thanks

Don't be a wheat-eater.

lol

But back to my other question, what use do grains have if not for eating ? Animal feed ??

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 05:39:57 am »
But back to my other question, what use do grains have if not for eating ? Animal feed ??

There are animals that eat grains naturally. They are referred to as "granivores" or "seed predators." Lots of birds and some omnivores like pigs can eat seeds and do pretty well. As for modern farmed grains, their use traditionally was in the expansion of civilization by being able to control our food supply as it can be stored.

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 05:40:32 am »
what about seeds in general ? chia seeds, pumpkin seeds etc etc ? why arent they cereal grains ?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 05:59:28 am »
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe that the seeds we call "grains" are the ones that have been intensively bred during the agricultural revolution. Things like pumpkin seeds are much more closely related to their wild counterparts. Also if you look at the nutrition profile of them you'll usually see more protein and oils, less carbs, and no proteins like gluten.

Having said that I don't think any seeds or nuts should make up the bulk of human diet. They are extremely concentrated. I remember trying to eat meals of them when I was a raw vegan and it took a long time to digest and made me very sluggish. The same calories of meat digests effortlessly.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 06:00:17 am »
what about seeds in general ? chia seeds, pumpkin seeds etc etc ? why arent they cereal grains ?
Cereal grains grow into grasses, which chia seeds also do. Pumpkin seeds and other nuts don't and contain a huge difference in their nutritional profiles. Cereal grains have calories that mostly come from complex carbohydrates while nuts and seeds like pumpkin have most of their calories come from mono and poly unsaturated fats.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:07:29 am »
okay, what about white potatoes

are they bad also ??

or any potato

are they better than grains, but still quite bad ?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 08:54:25 am »
Hey Rob

How about you make a post in the 'welcome' section of our forum and tell us a little about yourself and your vegetarian diet.

Maybe about little about your vegetarian business too.

Cheers

Wodg
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:05 am »
well, the truth is im just trying to eat better than my previous SAD

I have my own health goals, like keratosis pilaris, dry skin, bad eyesight, my red cheeks, dyness all over body, low functioning thyroid, slight heavy metal toxicity.

I lived a junk food diet all my life, trying to make changes step by step, addicted to bread, crisps and chocolate still.

Offline fuggles

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 09:29:39 am »
I was interested in the part where he wrote grains can cause schizophrenia.

Ive definitely had moments of manic depression and schizophrenia and irrational thinking (still do), and am in the process of applying for counselling for young people in a local youth centre.

I definitely my mercury amalgam fish poisoning vaccine, and high sugar high wheat diet bagel diet probably caused all of this. And pasteurised milk of course.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »
what use do grains have if not for eating ?

To roll around and play on.  Makes a nice bed too.  Also cleans your feet.  But that's all while it's grass.  Give the grains a chance to grow seeds to replenish itself.  Buffalo love grass tops anyway.  Leave it to them to eat.

grains can cause schizophrenia.

Ive definitely had moments of manic depression and schizophrenia and irrational thinking (still do), and am in the process of applying for counselling for young people in a local youth

Weed-eater.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 12:24:28 pm »
Cereal grains grow into grasses, which chia seeds also do. Pumpkin seeds and other nuts don't and contain a huge difference in their nutritional profiles. Cereal grains have calories that mostly come from complex carbohydrates while nuts and seeds like pumpkin have most of their calories come from mono and poly unsaturated fats.

Let's also remember that humans have probably been eating small-to-moderate amounts of fruits and nuts for as long as we've been walking upright, and longer.  We have not been eating grains.  Pumpkins are fruits, and both nuts and fruits grow on actual plants, versus just single stalks.  When humans were on grasslands in the past, they were hunting animals, not gathering/eating grains/grasses. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »
This post should have been made in the Hot Topics forum as it's related to grains, a non-RPD food. I'll move it there now.

(I note that schizophrenia has been linked to dairy as well).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 12:51:54 am »
some of my friend said that rice is better than bread... but once again, you need to know the right amount... about 10 - 15 spoon a day will be a good quantity.

*** spam ***

Hey, I guess you are the first Brazilian I've seen around here (besides myself)  :). You don't seem the be following a raw paleo diet though. Would you mind sharing a little of your background and past/current diet.

I see you put a link to some website on all your posts, would you care explaining why? What's that about? Spamming?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:51:31 am by goodsamaritan »

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:26:38 am »
I've noticed all bebekeek posts disappeared. Have them been deleted by a moderator, or he have done it himself? I guess that link he put in all his comments is a virus or something like that. Very suspicious! Then his comments were kind of awkward, like the one I quoted above. Does anyone know anything about it?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 09:51:10 am »
He's a common spammer.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 04:00:47 am »
awkward spammer  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk