Author Topic: Increasing fat/oil intake  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Increasing fat/oil intake
« on: April 17, 2010, 12:39:51 am »
I want to increase my raw fat/oil intake to combat dry skin after reading that fats and oils are the answer, not an increased water intake.
Is it a good idea to pour oils such as avocado, flax and olive oil onto my raw meat/fish before eating them to increase fat/oil intake? I'm not completely sure because maybe it slows digestion or maybe it's bad to mix plant-based oils with animal-based fats/oils?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing fat/oil intake
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:24 am »
In my opinion, butter is the best for dry skin.

Ever since I started eating butter, I never had a problem with dry skin. Now I eat about 4 Kg a month.

Vegetable oils are probably better in small quantities and mostly for cleansing purposes.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:42:36 am »
Thanks for the feedback...however, unfortunately I am allergic to dairy products.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:21:06 am »
I find beef fat being best for my skin.

Horse and pork fat is unsaturated so it doesn't as much for my skin it seems.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:00:19 am »

Yes, suet or marrow are the alternatives if you're allergic to dairy.

Offline needs_and_wants

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:16:38 am »
Im also allergic to dairy but seem to do fine with ghee, ive been eating alot of it lately and have noticed much softer skin.
feel, beyond the limitations of the mind, through the eyes of the soul

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:41:13 am »
I googled ghee, I think it's a bit risky for me, so I'm going to go with beef suet. I've found a website of a farm in the uk that sells "suet chunks" at 5 GB pounds per 500g ( http://store.foodcommerce.co.uk/fordhall/c/Beef/1ddd1556c3584f81a70fc1c32711c44f/ ).
 The thing is I have no idea how much fat (ie suet) I should be eating (for example per day). Is there a recommended amount?
I really should buy Aajonus' books sometime to find out all the details of high raw fat diets. I checked the price on amazon (uk) and they're like 40 to 45 quid!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:48:32 am »
Generally speaking, if one has an allergy towards any kind of dairy it's unwise to try any other kinds of raw dairy instead, even if they don't seem to harm you in the short-term. It's quite likely that in the long-term, consumption of such raw dairy may well cause you increased ill-health over some years. At least, I've had countless people reporting to me that they did absolutely fine on 1 or 2 types of raw dairy(usually raw butter but couldn't handle other kinds like raw milk or raw cheese; again and again, after a few years, they would in the end admit that their health had suffered somewhat after a while.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 04:59:58 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:51:04 am »
    Does mutton or do horses have nice fatty marrow?  What kind of marrow fats are best?  

Ossobucco tends to have nice fat, but it's so expensive, and I don't like the taste of veal meat.

If I do eat the meat, it has to be without honey.  It just tastes wrong with veal to me.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 05:01:26 pm »
I've never heard of organic, grassfed veal. Veal, by definition, is always factory-farmed, at least in Europe. There are som disgusting stories told of how veal is raised, even worse than what happens to grainfed cattle slaughtered at adulthood.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:39:34 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 08:46:03 pm »
I've never heard of organic, rgassfed veal. Veal, by definition, is always factory-farmed, at least in Europe. There are som disgusting stories told of how veal is raised, even worse than what happens to grainfed cattle slaughtered at adulthood.

Most veal is pasty colored and totally flavorless due to that.  You know the typical modern person, all they want to taste is spices anyway, all they can with their damaged taste buds.

I see calves a few times per week.  They look healthy and nurse from their moms in the grass.  The farm family who has them claims they never kill or sell the calves.  That's hard for me to believe as they would over populate.  As far as I can see though, as long as I've known them, they haven't slaughtered one.

Calves can eat some grass pretty early in comparison how long it takes from a human to supplement with other foods than milks.  I actually have seen grassfed veal, and it's red!  I was pretty surprised.  

I grew up in my younger childhood years with anemic veal.  Grew up with it, but didn't eat it.  It was tough, gray, totally unappealing to me, so I found ways to sneak it away so my family would think I ate it, and give it to someone who would eat it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Luming Zhou

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 07:44:37 pm »
I find beef fat being best for my skin.

Horse and pork fat is unsaturated so it doesn't as much for my skin it seems.

Horse fat is unsaturated? Where is the source of this claim?

I know that horses aren't ruminants, so they don't have bacteria which convert the PUFAs into saturated fatty acids. But, according to CRON-o-Meter, horse meat doesn't contain excessive PUFAs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:26:59 pm by Luming Zhou »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 07:57:08 pm »
Horse fat is unsaturated? Where is the source of this claim?

I know that horses are ruminants, so they don't have bacteria which convert the PUFAs into saturated fatty acids. But, according to CRON-o-Meter, horse meat doesn't contain excessive PUFAs.

Have you eaten much horse?  From reading this forum, I gather horse marrow is not thick and fatty like bison.  Also that horse meat is very lean, and horse milk much more sugary sweet than cow.  Funny, I was just talking about hypoglycemia last night, first time in .. pf a decade?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk