Author Topic: Why am I always so tired after eating fruit?  (Read 62645 times)

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Why am I always so tired after eating fruit?
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:11:43 am »
I just ate an apple and instantly I'm very tired

And it happens almost every time I eat fruit..

So I'm wondering if it's some sort of diabetes or what ever?

Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Why am I always so tired after eating fruit?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 03:03:23 am »
Same thing happens to me. The sweeter the fruit, the more tired I get. I think it's hypoglycemia (always had problems with that.)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 04:12:23 am »

Do you get the same reaction even if you eat it with fat?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:27:54 am »
Well, if you get this reaction with fruit, perhaps you should try raw zero carb after all.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Online goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:47:54 am »

Maybe your apple is poisoned.
You know, full of chemicals.

If your apple is pure, then the apple is not for you.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:15:44 am »
I don't generally notice it that quickly from a single apple, but if I overdo it on carbs then I often have trouble digesting and do tend to get tired within an hour afterward. Within several hours or the next morning I tend to start yawning. I remember a dentist asked me years ago if I experienced any fatigue or other symptoms for his checkoff review and I reported getting tired after lunch, but he said that was "normal." Well, it doesn't happen anymore as long as I avoid carbs (whether cooked or raw), so I guess I'm "abnormal" now. ;D

I tried eating raw animal or plant fat with carbs like raw fruits or raw honey and it didn't eliminate my symptoms (although sometimes fat prevents or stops the yawning if I eat enough of it during or afterward--but I still tend to get acne, dry skin, white dental crud, morning breath, etc.). The worst of my symptoms from carbs usually become apparent the next morning after eating them. Does eating fat with carbs work 100% for anyone here who normally has a problem with carbs?

Dr. Harris has suggested that people who are hypersensitive to carbs like Lex and me might have insulin resistance (which can lead to type II diabetes), though no physician has diagnosed me with that (but they never checked specifically for it either).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 06:54:33 am »
What kinds of fruit? Have you tried lower sugar fruits?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:38:20 am »
Does eating fat with carbs work 100% for anyone here who normally has a problem with carbs?
It's helped alleviate some of the problems but only by maybe 20%.
I still get all of the other problems though.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 10:33:40 am »
What kinds of fruit? Have you tried lower sugar fruits?
All kinds tested so far including lower sugar fruits like berries. I'm hoping that maybe I'll have better luck with wild berries this summer. Fingers crossed.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:30:35 am »
Do not accept an apple from your wicked stepmother.

Unless you wish to sleep for a very long time...

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »
What about veggies?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

carnivore

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 05:39:21 pm »

It is hypoglycaemia. I had the same trouble when I was on a carnivorous diet. On a zero carb diet, my body seems to lost the ability to process carbs correctly (loss of enzymes, bacteria, hormones, insulin resistance?). After slowly reintroducing fruits, I can now eat them without problem as long as I eat just a few at once (i.e : one banana).

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 07:42:25 pm »

I agree, you have to keep eating some fruit because the body will discontinue the production of enzymes that are not needed. The same happens to the salivary enzymes, most of them are spared on a raw diet.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 09:06:30 pm »
I had the same trouble when I was on a carnivorous diet. On a zero carb diet, my body seems to lost the ability to process carbs correctly (loss of enzymes, bacteria, hormones, insulin resistance?).

I see that as one of the gifts of zero carb. Our bodies recognize and reject sugars.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 09:31:38 pm »
I see that as one of the gifts of zero carb. Our bodies recognize and reject sugars.
That's not it. Too many people who have no issues have gone VLC or raw zero-carb for lengthy periods and then gradually lost the ability to digest raw carbs solely because the body stopped providing the right enzymes or bacteria to properly digest them. The same sort of thing happens often to long-term raw vegans who, after years of never eating any animal foods, start experiencing great difficulty in digesting animals foods when they reintroduce them into their diets - until, after a while, they get used to them as their body redadapts to their digestion once again.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:24:49 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 12:19:56 am »
What fruits ? What's the ratio of glycose to fructose in these fruits ? Maybe you are fructose intolerance - unable to handle fructose.

carnivore

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 12:20:39 am »

Why would he reject sugar, one of the 2 main fuel ?

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 01:09:07 am »
Fat is the best fuel, sugar is inferior. I have had my best energy doing fasted hiking, or lifting weights, being zero carb, than when I was high carb or VLC and using protein shakes.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 02:39:26 am »
I agree, fat is the best fuel for the body. But my mind seems to do poorly if I don't get sufficient carbs
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 02:52:05 am »
I agree, fat is the best fuel for the body. But my mind seems to do poorly if I don't get sufficient carbs

I noticed this after prolonged work with my brain where I had to think 5 hours straight. It made me so dizzy and tired at evening. So I was thinking if the symptoms were because of decreased glycogen stores.

Brain uses more ketones over time if body is constantly in keto state. If I am right then after 40 days brain will use 60% of it's energy from ketones so as my brain was still used with glycose it might have used all my glycogen stores and made me dizzy until they were filled again. Just a theory.

carnivore

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 03:10:17 am »
Fat is the best fuel, sugar is inferior. I have had my best energy doing fasted hiking, or lifting weights, being zero carb, than when I was high carb or VLC and using protein shakes.

You are generalizing your personal experience.
The truth is there is no better fuel : there are 2 complementary fuels, fat and sugar, that we are evolved to use as source of calories.

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 04:54:40 am »
Nobody here yet used the expressions "insulin sensitivity" and "leptin sensitivity".

Low-carb diets apparently blunt insulin sensitivity and don't do anything for leptin sensitivity, plus the so-called glycation associated with hi-carb diets is only understood to occur where there are high tissue cell membrane PUFA concentrations, which are highly unstable (hence the PUFAs are the mediator in tissue protein glycation/crosslinking, high hba1c etc.).

Overfeeding studies (more-than-energy-maintenance calories per day) have demonstrated that a high carbohydrate diet can improve both insulin and leptin sensitivity. The Kitavans are the fine example with their low-PUFA, hi-carb and generally still nutrient dense diet, which is worth consideration and has not yet really been debunked yet.

I love how the wisdom of the primitive isolates just flies in the ivory-tower-face of all these hypothetical, half-baked models and assumptions...

The question would be then: how much fruit year-round did paleo man eat from his local landbase, given the seasonal nature and lack of preservative technology? Also, how much sugar did the original, wild, heirloom, seeded fruits contain? Is it possible that our domesticated fruits are a plague to us, even though they still retain their nice colours/profile?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't...
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 05:05:08 am »
Oh, also, there's the context of the metabolism as representative of the hormone signalling systems stimulated by the dynamic correlation with how much food is around at a given time (considering that the heavily refined human organism is an extremely robust survival mechanism)...Hence the overfeeding (3000-4000 calories) studies demonstrating that insulin and leptin sensitivity improve, along with basal metabolic rate and body compostion. Imagine very stable thermogenesis from excess calories as opposed to adiposity to the extent of obesity.

The other point is, why do most hunter-gatherer tribes utilise everything on their landbase, including hi-carb starches? Is it possibly because everything contributes to survival of the population and the birth of new generations (e.g. females gaining adiposity when trying to conceive) - that is, they're in dynamic equilibrium with their ecosystem (even though we're opportunist omnivores).

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 05:09:16 am »
Here's one report, that I found in a few seconds of Googling...

Scientists at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) have shown that restoring leptin sensitivity to a tiny area of POMC neurons in the brain’s hypothalamus cures mice deficient in the leptin-receptor of severe diabetes, and also spontaneously doubles their activity levels.

Writing about their findings in the journal Cell Metabolism, the researchers say that their findings may help further expand the understanding as the leptin’s role in the brian’s complex neurocircuitry behind weight gain and glucose control.

“This discovery suggests a new therapeutic pathway for drugs to treat insulin-resistant diabetes in humans with severe obesity, and possibly even to stimulate their urge to exercise,” says Dr. Christian Bjorbaek, a researcher in the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism at BIDMC and Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

“We know that the majority of humans with Type 2 diabetes are obese and that weight loss can often ameliorate the disease. However, in many cases, it’s difficult for these individuals to lose weight and can keep weight off. If, as these findings suggest, there is a system in the brain that can control blood-glucose directly, it offers hope for the identification of novel anti-diabetic drug targets,” Bjorbaek added.

Leptin, which was first identified in 1994 as an appetite and weight-regulation hormone, is known to play a key role in energy homeostasis through its effects on the central nervous system.

Previously conducted studies have already shown that a region of the brain’s hypothalamus, known as the arcuate nucleus (ARC), is one key area where leptin exerts its influence.

Within the ARC, scientists have also identified two types of leptin-responsive neurons: the Agouti-related peptide (AgRP) neurons, which stimulate appetite and the pro-opiomelanocortin (POMC) neurons, which curb appetite.

“Still other studies had indicated that, by way of the ARC, leptin also had a function in both blood-sugar control and in activity levels. We hypothesized that, in both cases, the POMC neurons were involved,” says Bjorbaek.

He reveals that with a view to testing their hypothesis, the research team studied a group of leptin-receptor-deficient laboratory mice.

“The animals were severely obese and profoundly diabetic. Using Cre-Lox technology we were able to genetically and selectively re-express leptin receptors only in the POMC neurons. When leptin receptor activity was restored to just this very small group of neurons, the mice began eating about 30 percent fewer calories and lost a modest amount of weight,” he says.

Bjorbaek further reveals that the animals’ blood sugar levels returned to normal independent of any change in weight or eating habits, and their activity levels spontaneously doubled.

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 05:12:14 am »
So laughably, lo-carb seems like a sticking plaster (y'know, treating the symptoms rather than underlying cause), possibly while the problem of blunted insulin sensitivity and leptin sensitivity remains.

Insulinteresting, to say the least...;-))

By the way, this does not mean that I eat a large proportion of my calories as carbs - I'm just trying to understand what could be an optimal proportion, particularly for keeping the metabolism stoked with optimal insulin/leptin sensitivity (the raw thyroid experiment definitely won't be repeated any time soon).

Personally, I think it takes a while to improve glucose tolerance after lo-carbing, but mine seems to have improved over a few weeks.

That said, I still yawn after meals (like hypoglycaemic yawnorama), so I'm thinking about obtaining a BG meter to do post-prandial and fasting levels.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:23:28 am by MrBBQ »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk