Author Topic: Today's workout?  (Read 364602 times)

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Today's workout?
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:43 pm »
Throwing this out there. Please share your workout(s), too!!!

Monday...figures may vary slightly...

AM workout:

Push-ups (250)
Sit-ups (500)
Squats (300)

Light cardio and some light weights for shoulder rehab.

PM workout:

Pull-ups (50)
Chin-ups (50)

-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: Today's workout?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:27:28 pm »
Amendment: 750 sit-ups.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:22:29 am »
I presume this regime means not working during that period. All those 100s of push-ups is a bit much - but, admittedly, it's  more palaeo.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 04:50:17 am »
sweet. how many in a row, what kind of breaks in between?

I do predominately body-weight, but tend to waste time in between sets running in and out of the house checking e-mail/boards etc...

I used to be able to do almost 100 standard push-ups in row, never quite made it to 100. Now I do more challenging types and never really count as the #'s are far less.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:57:20 am »
Push-ups are hardly paleo. Picking up heavy stuff off the ground like a deadlift is however.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:36:34 am »
Another amendment - 75 pulls, 75 chins. Feeling good today.

Tyler - Not sure what you mean exactly by "not working during that period". The morning workout took me about 45-50 minutes. Then evening about 15 minutes.

KD - Yeah, I used to do mega-reps in a single set or two, but now I break it down into rapid, low-rep sets. For example, today was 10 sets of each exercise (breaks down to only 25 push-ups per set), but do them with no breaks to keep the heart rate zooming and the muscles continually fatigued.

You make an excellent point regarding difficulty. I actually prefer lower reps with higher difficulty, but I'm re-habbing a few injuries, so this works better for me right now.

Donk - Depends on how you personally define "paleo", I guess. While you are almost certainly correct that high-rep push-ups like I'm currently doing (if one can call 250 "high rep" - Herschel Walker would call that his "warm up" - hahaha!) is not in and of itself paleo, I'd disagree that push-ups are not paleo. It's a natural body motion, not a hyper-focused motion done with complicated apparatus.

Regarding dead-lifts, though, we totally agree.

Sooo.....what about you guys? What do your current workouts look like?

I need to get some biking & swimming into the day now that it's warm again!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:53:39 am »
a push up seems pretty natural.  Say you're lying on the ground on your stomach taking a nap, or just laying there.  You would have to do a push-up to get up right?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:30:12 am »
I didn't really mean to imply superiority, although I guess shorter more intense spurts tend to be linked with strength gains. The push up I mostly do is a 'Hindu Pushup'. Basically a cycle from downward/upward dog. Its similar to Divebomber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttk8RdiIHzA), although I go in more of a circle, and place stress on my legs by leaving my feet completely flat. I don't know if its the best for strength building, but I prefer it because it works many part of the body, especially the abdomen and parts of the back.

Now that its nice out I actually do these on a lawn chair, which allows me to put my hands in various positions and grips. sometimes i'll do clap, but its not great for my wrists. I do maybe ~20-25 of the HP, and then finish it off with some really excruciating close crop push-ups
I sometimes follow this immediately with some kind of back bridge, either a full on wheel or kneeling and bending backwards. I also might do body-weight squats or jumping-jacks on these days. Maybe ~10 sets, but I'm not really a stickler.

The other type of exercise I do involves a 45 lb dumbbell. I use it for a number of different curls and shoulder raises.
I do squats sometimes while I do these (which gives a bit of momentum with the shoulder raises - probably frowned upon by bodybuilders). When these muscles get tired I'll hold the weight with both hands and do bent over rows, standard shrugs, and shrug type curls that engage the bicep. Obviously its not a huge amount of weight to be doing the latter type exercises, but I find if I can really tense and stress the muscles it is sufficient. I also do abdomen spins like one might do with a large plate. Sometimes I'll go right back into the bicep/shoulder thing and then when I'm finally out of breath, I'll take an internet break which usually lasts too long. Maybe now that it isn't cold out I'll have more patience to sit outside and chill in between sets.

This is pretty much it for now. I had a old rusty bar and it broke - fell on my ass, then I had rings and they each broke - fell on my ass. Some kind of chins/pulls would really complement this well. I can't really bring myself to do sit ups. I used to do 'stretch pose' which is an extended hang/breath-work with your chest and feet lifted 12 inches, for a few minutes. Luckily the HP really seems to engage the abdomen really well. Biking is also excellent, but mostly I just use for transport as my endurance is not great these days.

I was thinking eventually making some exercise vids. I don't think my exercise routines are the most optimal and I could probably be seeing better gains if I had full on access to a gym or just heavy weights, but they seem to work fairy well for having basically no equipment, and not having to put in a tremendous amount of time.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 04:21:54 pm »
Well, I tried doing 100s of press-ups etc within a short time-period like an hour but didn't make it, needing rest all the time - I suppose it takes time to work up to that level.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »
KD - That's a cool push-up. I'll have to give those a whirl - thanx!

Let me know if you do those vids.

Tyler - Yeah, it takes a little time to work up to those numbers...but probably not as long as you think. Just do 5 sets of 10 for a few days/weeks, then 10 sets of 10 for a few days/weeks, then 10 sets of 15 for a few days/weeks, then 10 sets of 20....

Herschel Walker was said to have done 1000 sit-ups and 1000 push-ups a day for his entire HS, college, & pro football career by doing 10 sets of 100. He corrected that mis-conception a few years back when he told reporters he did (and still does) 1500 push-ups & 2500 sit-ups a day.

Sven - Agreed!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 09:07:48 pm »
Tuesday workout:

Push-ups (200)
Reverse sits (200)
1/2 bridge (200)
calf raises (800)

Light cardio and light weight for shoulder rehab.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:18:39 pm by SkinnyDevil »
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 12:10:10 am »
Wednesday AM:

Light weight for shoulders & back, plus...

sit-ups (1000)
stairs (1000
- 500 up/500 down)

PM:

Pull-ups & chin-ups (50+ each)
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:14:39 am »
keep it up!

how long have you been doing such a regimen as this?

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »
Thanx, Kyle.

Quite a while, actually. I'm pushing the numbers up a bit, but I usually do 5-10 sets of whatever it is I'm doing that day. Body weight exercises work best for me.

Today will be tough because I spent the morning at the skateboard park with one of my kids - who made me break out my old board (I haven't skated for more then a few years!). Wore me out completely, and I still got totally smoked by a park full of 12 year olds (hahaha!!!).

Ah, well....today I will try to accomplish the following:

Push-up (250)
reverse sits (250)
squats (250)

Then light weight for shoulders.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 05:49:55 am »
back/lats day

2X10 pullups
seated rows
dumbell pulls
80 situps

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »
Interesting info, SkinnyDevil. I'd thought you were still single. So, how old are you and your kids? And remind me how long you've been eating a RVAF diet and how current your photo-avatar is? Cheers.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 10:09:22 pm »
Jump on it, Sven!

Tyler - I'm a tad confused: Why would you think me single? Or married? What does marital status have to do with either my workouts or my diet?

I'm married to a great lady & have been for quite some time now. I'm 45 right now, the photo is probably about 5 years old, and I've been eating mostly (but not entirely) raw foods consciously for a decade or so.

I have always eaten raw & rare meats, but got into thinking about raw way back in the early 1990s. However, I still ate breads/pastas and such, though I eliminated most "junk foods". I cut WAY back on gluten-bearing grains, caffeine, dairy, refined sugars, etc. 10-15 years back, and dropped them completely 7-10 years ago. I haven't had bread, for example, for well over 5 years (& very little of it for the 5 years before that - a few times a month at most).

I still eat tataki (seared meats) as well as raw meats and I still eat rice on occasion. I do a lot of experimenting with dietary intake, but it always comes back to predominantly raw fruits, raw veggies, plus raw & rare meats.

PS: Friday workout:

Light weight for shoulder rehab, 750 sit-ups, cardio.

This evening I will add 50 pulls & 50 chins.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:39:57 pm by SkinnyDevil »
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 12:31:50 am »
Sorry, I'd just thought you were much younger( ,late 20s) or something, so was surprised re mention of being outcompeted re exercise by youngsters.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 12:44:41 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 05:36:03 am »
Sorry, I'd just thought you were much younger( ,late 20s) or something, so was surprised re mention of being outcompeted re exercise by youngsters.

Younger? Nope, just eternally hip (hahaha!!!).
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 12:38:24 pm »
I accumulated some pics to illustrate a few exercises I described.

bridge ( top of the feet on ground )

wheel

light weighted squat
I typically do this with one arm (raises) (biceps) and lats. holding it with crossed wrists I might be doing like a forearm curl or shrugs.

below are the hindu pushup positions. Like I said the variation I do is a bit different than the diverbomber position vids. kinda hard to see without motion but I move in a circle and basically morph immediately from the 'up' to the 'down' position, and then the in between of 'down' to 'up' would be like your typical pushup or plank position.

this is pretty much my entire routine, the only thing missing is I do a back bend row with the same weight, bicep curls, and I also do dips when I'm working chest. and use interior chairs. I'll probably have a chinup bar at my new workplace but havn't done chins in at least a year. I'm probably going to join an actual gym soon enough to mix this up a bit and do some heavier lifting, but I've found these simple routines enough to stay in shape sufficiently and things like the HP to be almost a full workout in itself. The other pic is a shot of 'crow' pose. not exactly an exercise I do often in my routine, but just to show my back and shoulders are hanging in there being gymless almost 3 years.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:52:58 pm by KD »

Offline Savage

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 01:06:32 pm »
Can't believe I missed this thread......glad there are other people here that train.

Check this one out if you're RZC and Workout.

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/exercisebodybuilding/rzc-athletes-that-train-3plus-times-a-week/

Offline Savage

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »
10 minutes ago:

Bench Press
(Alt. between Flat & INC) 250lbs X 1 X 5

Squat 315lbs X 2 X 5

My squat is at least 350lbs with good deep reps, but the circuit training is frying my legs.

Weighted Pullups & ChinUps  90lbs X 1 X 5

Clean & Jerk 135lbs X 1 X 5

Total time: 88 minutes, total sets 20, reps 1-2, rest 4-5 minutes, tempo on up/down : Fast as possible.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 08:09:21 pm »
KD - great pics!

Savage - pretty awesome workout. Probably kill me! The most weight I've added to pulls & chins is my 25lb weight vest, and that's only on rare occasion. BTW: I saw your other thread but didn't reply because I'm not zero carb.

Sooo....I haven't posted workouts from this past week, but the main difference is that I've added sets of pulls/chins daily. The rest is very similar to what I've already posted.

Taking Saturday & Sunday off.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »
10 minutes ago:
Total time: 88 minutes, total sets 20, reps 1-2, rest 4-5 minutes, tempo on up/down : Fast as possible.

Are you still in the US? do you generally work out late? do you go right to sleep afterward?

anyway, extremely impressive. when you do 90 lb weighted pulls, is this a belt with two 45 plates? 250 incline. shit that is no picnic either. I assume you have a spotter? Is this your max, or do you always do single reps?

Offline Savage

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 01:00:55 am »
KD - great pics!

Savage - pretty awesome workout. Probably kill me! The most weight I've added to pulls & chins is my 25lb weight vest, and that's only on rare occasion. BTW: I saw your other thread but didn't reply because I'm not zero carb.

Nah, if you do 1-2 reps with 95% of your max, 4-5 minutes rest, this is actually a very good relaxing W/O, I usually have some "buddah bar" type music on, however, tonight's W/O does kill :D

Are you still in the US? do you generally work out late? do you go right to sleep afterward?

anyway, extremely impressive. when you do 90 lb weighted pulls, is this a belt with two 45 plates? 250 incline. shit that is no picnic either. I assume you have a spotter? Is this your max, or do you always do single reps?

Still in the US, I started working out late when summer hit, I usually sleep 1 hour later, but if I eat 2lbs meat before bed, I get diarrhea and a bloated stomach in the morning. I'm thinking about switching to training in the morning.

Mistake on the time, it was 108minutes, It usually takes me 30 minutes per exercise due to the long rest periods.

Yes, I use 2 45's on a belt, I workout alone, if I can't re-rack the weight, I'll pause for a second holding the bar off me so I don't crush my bones, laugh at myself, then tilt the bar to the right, drop all the weights, repeat other side :D

My 1RM is 275lb, I always do single reps two times a week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk