Author Topic: Today's workout?  (Read 364635 times)

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: Today's workout?
« Reply #450 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:35 pm »
Geezz...70 pounds chins & 65 pound dips?!?! Damn!

Monday (March 21):

100 pull-ups
100 chin-ups
150 push-ups
400 sit-ups
200 squats
tabata: squats
(another 160)

1110/1000 pull-ups and 4700/5000 sit-ups.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 22, 2011, 05:02:07 am »
yesterday i went swimming.  i swim 1 lap at a time at a fast pace, then rest until i start to get cold then repeat.  i alternate between freestyle and butterfly laps and stay in the water a total of 1 - 1.5 hours.  i dolphin kick the first 10 yards or so of every lap underwater to make sure my abs, lower back and legs get worked out as much as much as the upper body.

in a true paleo fashion i don't count my laps or time myself, but i do race other swimmers in the pool against their will.  the way i do it is as they are swimming i let them get about 10 yards head start and then i try to catch up with them by the end of the pool.

i leave the pool energized rather than tired, but i do feel sore when leaving - and that is how i know when to end my workout.  as soreness builds when i start to approach injury territory i leave.  i take approximately as many days off as it takes for the soreness to subside to about 30%.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 22, 2011, 05:16:00 am »
Wheres KD he deleted his profile pic and disappeared !

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 22, 2011, 07:53:55 am »
hey dude

I dunno, my internet connection is not all that useable at my house (seems like this site is loading funny also?) and I got tired of getting in pointless discussions during the day at work.

I keep making improvements on lifts.

today I did three sets of five @90lb weighted dips. right after (30 sec)  I did 26 free dips in a row
friday I did 18 deadhangs followed by 6 @45 lb weighted pull-ups and then did ~2 @90 lb weighted pull-ups.

so starting at rest it looks like i'm in the 100lb level now for both pull-ups and dips 1RM

my decline bench is now 295 lb on the smith machine. concentrating on improving my deadlifts and squats. I'm doing zercher squats as posted above at my bodyweight. pretty intense. I'm probably starting back at my cross-fit gym..so I won't be benching and things like that as much anymore, probably just as well.

oh the 90lb pull-ups was witnessed by one Paleo Donk who was visiting over the weekend. We had a great time.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:11:10 am by KD »

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 22, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »
 ;)

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #455 on: March 22, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »
Man, those are some rippin' work-outs, guys!

Yeah, I've noticed the site has been twitchy, also. Slow loading, abrupt...

Proteus - I envy the swimming. Can't wait to get back by a lake. We lived next to a lake a few years back, but then bought a house (not by a lake). We've decided to sell this one and get our asses back to the water!

Today (Tuesday, 3-22):

75 pull-ups
75 chin-ups
300 sit-ups
500 calf raises
light weight
(upper)
tabata:
   sit-ups (200 more)
   stair sprints

Brings my monthly totals to 1185/1000 pull-ups and 5200/5000 sit-ups. Both monthly goals now met and exceeded. BOOM!!!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 23, 2011, 11:11:31 am »

Brings my monthly totals to 1185/1000 pull-ups and 5200/5000 sit-ups. Both monthly goals now met and exceeded. BOOM!!!

thats amazing. Its incredible how many muscular dudes I see at the gym can hardly do any pull-ups.

---

today: tues
warmup
jump rope
20 box jumps @ 32 inch
lunges
- deadlifts
135 x 10, 225 x 5, 275x 2, 295  x 1 (PR probably)
- zercher squats
165 x 10 x 3
- split rope pulley curls (max plates is 95) x 5 x 3
- 16 chin-ups
- perpetual rope machine at hardest setting x 2:00 with 20x2 lateral jumps in between over a 35 lb plate
foam roll
more 32" jumps

---

havn't been able to upload a new profile pic for some reason ( I get the access forbidden message here alot now too) but heres a recent shot.

my legs are definitely getting more proportionate as well with all the squats and deadlifts and such..they were like sticks even just this past spring.

Looking forward to being tanned and booking it bearfoot down a beach.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #457 on: March 23, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »
Well said, KD.....so long as you realize MY way is the REAL way (hahahaha!!!!!).

Yeah, to each his own. Gotta pick the best methods for the results you seek.

Wednesday (3-23):

60 pull-ups
60 chin-ups
200 sit-ups
1100 stairs

Monthly totals: 1245 pulls & 5400 sits.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »
Well said, KD.....so long as you realize MY way is the REAL way (hahahaha!!!!!).

hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDyb_alTkMQ

---

oh yeah I also forgot the yoga folks and 'runners'. don't get me started on those guys!

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 24, 2011, 04:21:06 am »
Wednesday:

Rope chin ups: 2x7, 1x6 with 55lbs
Overhead Press: 3x5 with 125lbs
Squat:             3x5 with 245lbs
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #460 on: March 24, 2011, 10:22:55 pm »
Well, I don't have a dog in that fight. I experiment to see what works best for me and leave others to do the same. That said, I find that both running AND dips work well for me (though I dislike running alone). LOVE to bike & swim.

Anyway....Thursday (3-24):

TG warm-up
tabata stair sprints
105 pull-ups
105 chin-ups
400 sit-ups
300 squats

monthly totals: 1350 pull-ups and 5800 sit-ups.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:45:04 am by SkinnyDevil »
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:10 am »
I did a bunch of cycles of this as a warmup.
"double dutch" and "horseback ride" with the 3" 50 ft rope and 90 lb dumbelll
bear crawls (up, down, side, side)
pulley flies (for pro)

the rope actions is really nice. I also like the perpetual pull down rope machine they have that is like endlessly pulling a dead body out of a well. The little diagram shows every muscle of the upper body in red. Pretty quality machine.

- press 100 lbs x 5 x 3 (shoulder has been feeling funny..not pushing it on the weight)
- dips 90 lbs x 5 x 3
- zercher squat: BW (165) x 20, 20, 10. pretty intense..I was trying to do as many reps in 2 mins for a competition on the other board. I got less than I thought but still pretty solid.
- 500 m row
foam roll, pvc mobility.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #462 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:26 am »
Friday (2-25):

125 pull-ups
125 chin-ups
300 sit-ups
500 calf raises
100 squats
light weight
660 stairs

Started tired, but now feeling GOOD! Totals for the month with ONE week left: 1475 pull-ups and 6100 sit-ups.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #463 on: March 26, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »
Saturday (3-26)

25 pull-ups
25 chin-ups
100 squats
150 calf raises

Coming into the week with an even 1500 pull-ups. we'll see where this goes.....
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #464 on: March 28, 2011, 10:25:14 pm »
Monday (3-28)

100 pull-ups
100 chin-ups
250 sit-ups
200 calf raises
200 squats
100 push-ups

6350 sits & 1600 pulls for the month!

Next month (or maybe later this week) I'll start back on the heavy bag.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #465 on: March 29, 2011, 10:13:11 pm »
Tuesday (3-29):

50 pull-ups
50 chin-ups
200 sit-ups
1100 stairs

1650 and 6550 with a coupla days to go!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #466 on: March 30, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »
Wednesday (3-30):

100 pull-ups
100 chin-ups
100 squats
300 sit-ups
400 calf raises

6700 sit-ups and 1750 pulls with one day to go.....
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 31, 2011, 02:31:47 am »
Wednesday:

3x6 chin ups 70lbs
3x5 overhead press 125lbs
3x7 deadlift 255lbs

Getting stronger YAY ;D
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #468 on: March 31, 2011, 10:09:18 pm »
That's it...gonna have to add at least my 20 pound vest to my pulls & chins now. Uuugghh!!!

Today (Thursday, March 31):

50 pull-ups
50 chin-ups
300 sit-ups
150 push-ups

That's it for the month. The goal was 1000 pull-ups and 500 sit-ups...Totals for the month:

1800 pull-ups and 7000 sit-ups. BOOM!

-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »
Tomorrows workout

-deadlifts,  still aiming for 2.5 body weight but nowhere near yet....I will have to buy new clothes soon though, my hip flexors are busting out.
-bench press

I was getting close to KD on dips/chins but backpack strap snapped. I need to get a proper belt set up.

Still no good with motivation but do my short workout every Friday morning no matter what and still gaining strength.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:50 pm »

I was getting close to KD on dips/chins but backpack strap snapped. I need to get a proper belt set up.

nice. were you just using a regular backpack?

I use the leather weight belt with the chains, but its way too big for my waist so it actually feels really risky on the pulls. On the dips it seems a little more secure just because it has a little more of my back to set on. Either way i'm looking for a better solution myself.

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 01, 2011, 05:27:35 am »
there is a special belt for weighted dips/chins which is of a different design than a powerlifting belt.  it looks like this:

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/resources/muscle%20motion%20products/neoprene%20dip%20belt%20_muscle%20motion%20(1).jpg

i have one (not this exact one, but very similar).  back when i was on steroids i used it a lot.  i used up to two 45lb plates on chinups and up to three plates on dips.  it works very well - easy to put on and take off and is rather comfortable even with three plates on.  now i just do chins with my own bodyweight though :(

i never used a regular powerlifting belt for any purpose - i believe it makes no sense.  the human body is already perfect it doesn't need any bracing unless you have a broken back or something.  using a a powerlifting belt is like running in air max shoes - its whack.  if you think you're hurting yourself reduce the weight and ask a professional to analyze your form.

if you use crutches in form of a belt or shoes you are creating a weakness in your body which ultimately may lead to an injury.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:32:46 am by proteus »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 01, 2011, 05:30:14 am »
nice. were you just using a regular backpack?

I use the leather weight belt with the chains, but its way too big for my waist so it actually feels really risky on the pulls. On the dips it seems a little more secure just because it has a little more of my back to set on. Either way i'm looking for a better solution myself.

Regular but it was getting dangerous, I was too top heavy and nearly stacked it a few times lately.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 01, 2011, 06:50:59 am »
there is a special belt for weighted dips/chins which is of a different design than a powerlifting belt.  it looks like this:

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/resources/muscle%20motion%20products/neoprene%20dip%20belt%20_muscle%20motion%20(1).jpg

i have one (not this exact one, but very similar).  back when i was on steroids i used it a lot.  i used up to two 45lb plates on chinups and up to three plates on dips.  it works very well - easy to put on and take off and is rather comfortable even with three plates on.  now i just do chins with my own bodyweight though :(

i never used a regular powerlifting belt for any purpose - i believe it makes no sense.  the human body is already perfect it doesn't need any bracing unless you have a broken back or something.  using a a powerlifting belt is like running in air max shoes - its whack.  if you think you're hurting yourself reduce the weight and ask a professional to analyze your form.

if you use crutches in form of a belt or shoes you are creating a weakness in your body which ultimately may lead to an injury.

right. thanks again for the tips.

Pretty sure my description is the same thing unless the above is ergonomic in some way. Its made out of leather and pretty standard to any gym i've been at.
http://www.fitness1st.com/2007%20images/DIPBEL~1-copy.jpg

the problem lies in that i'm doing 2 plates+ and my waist is like 28-29 or something. It can easily slide off me doing chin-ups. If there is any form compromise its accounting for that which shouldn't be a factor. the actual belt part minus the chain loops around, sort of like if you had a baseball hat where the last hole on the 'female' side went completly over the gap on the other side, making it basically unwearable.

Regular but it was getting dangerous, I was too top heavy and nearly stacked it a few times lately.

yeah I was advised against doing this or even trying a combination of both. theres those weight vests but I don't have a car, so i'd be riding to the gym with a 100 lb vest on. sooner or later i'll be over 100lb anyway and back with the dip belt. I guess they must have a smaller model of belts somewhere come to think of it, perhaps for chicks who lift.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:02:15 am by KD »

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 01, 2011, 10:48:40 am »
http://www.fitness1st.com/2007%20images/DIPBEL~1-copy.jpg

looks functionally identical to mine.  i don't understand how it can possibly slide off regardless of your waist.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R0viy9yAMNM/SoV3oKE_Z6I/AAAAAAAAAEc/-LjeafmgE_0/s400/weighted+chin+up.jpg

the weight essentially hangs on your quads and ass.  it is only called a belt - you don't use it as a belt ( see pic above ).  you only loop it around your body on the back side and then you loop it over your quads in the front.  then by lifting your legs up a bit you secure it in place.  i never had a problem.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:54:17 am by proteus »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk