Author Topic: Raw Animal Fats Mixed With Carbs - The Dangers?  (Read 5798 times)

Busgrw

Raw Animal Fats Mixed With Carbs - The Dangers?
« on: June 04, 2010, 03:07:11 pm »
Hi all,

I haven’t posted in ages but have been lurking and learning loads !!!

I was wondering if someone could advise me on what the dangers are (if any) in eating a high animal fat diet mixed with carbohydrates. I’ve heard in various places that the two don’t mix well together due to oxygen oxidising the fats and making them dangerous to the body. This is fine when on zero carb but what about if people are on moderate carbohydrates and are consuming high amounts of animal fat i.e. me! I am currently eating about 150-200g of raw animal fat, 60-80g of carbs (mostly salads and fruits) and about 80g of protein through organs or muscle meat. I believe I’m battling with hypoglycaemia and candida amongst other things which is causing me, anxiety, depression, anger etc and I cant go zero carb as my blood sugars fall of the chart and I go into a tired, depressed, angry person and my brain feels like its been frazzled!!!

Is it safe to eat mixed raw with high animal fat, moderate carbs and protein? My common sense tells me it is as paleo ancestry, I believe, would have eaten a wide variety but I cant help but wonder about the hypothesis that some state about fats and carbs not being good for you when mixed.

Thanks for the help. Great website.

:)

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Animal Fats Mixed With Carbs - The Dangers?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:18:28 pm »
Some people recommend combining fat and carbs to prevent blood sugar spikes. Other people say that carbs from fruit digest better if eaten on their own. That seems to be the case for me, too.

Busgrw

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:30:56 pm »
I also posted this question on the All Experts website at Raw Paleo Guy. Here is his response for those who are interested:

There's no need for you to worry about this issue. I and many others have done fine with diets mixing high levels of fats with carbs. The studies which damn mixing carbohydrates with lots of fat invariably involve cooked foods with cooked animal fats mixed with refined/processed cooked carbs, so they are not applicable to raw diets. Oxidised fats are a problem only when cooking anima fats as they are produced via heat.

HTH,
RPG.

That certainly quells a lot of my fears. Does this fit in with others beliefs?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:42:16 pm »
I think if someone is eating fruit, that it should be eaten as a small, light meal. I do not think it should be combined with meat/fat.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:06 pm »
Carbs and fats just don't go well together. Simple as that.

Carbs and lean meats are fine and fat and lean meats are fine.. But not all three.

I ate high fat yesterday then ate some fruit before training, even though I knew it was a bad idea and I almost threw up during training.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:02:49 pm »
Minor addendum:- Raw fats can get oxidised slightly  over long periods of time, but the process is nowhere near as harsh as the oxidisation caused by cooking and takes longer to manifest. High-meat/aged raw meat is actually very healthy which leads me to think that oxidised raw fats are not harmful at all. It's just the cooked fats/oxidised cholesterol etc. which is an issue.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Busgrw

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 03:05:56 am »
I think if someone is eating fruit, that it should be eaten as a small, light meal. I do not think it should be combined with meat/fat.

Carbs and lean meats are fine and fat and lean meats are fine.. But not all three.

I ate high fat yesterday then ate some fruit before training, even though I knew it was a bad idea and I almost threw up during training.

Appreciate the comments but why don't you agree that fats and carbs can be combined? Is there reason behind your comments or is it just from personal experiences?

Thanks.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 05:45:35 pm »
What they mean is that plant foods and animal foods shouldn't be eaten at the same time as the body requires totally different enzymes/bacteria/digestive juices in order to digest those two very different kinds of foods. Eating them at separate times(30 minutes apart) should never be a problem, though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Busgrw

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 06:51:15 pm »
What they mean is that plant foods and animal foods shouldn't be eaten at the same time as the body requires totally different enzymes/bacteria/digestive juices in order to digest those two very different kinds of foods. Eating them at separate times(30 minutes apart) should never be a problem, though.

Thanks Tyler. Again, makes sense. I've added a piece of fruit and some green veg to my diet over the last couple of days along with some coconut water and already i'm feeling better and sleeping well. Think consistency is the key and not going off the plan ever couple of weeks thinking i'm better.

B

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »
Also, if you eat fruit on its' own, the sugars are taken in to the relevant places faster. If you eat it with other food, the sugars going to stack on top of everything else. I think this can be bad.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 10:13:49 pm »

What does it mean for you, do you eat like actionhero with low fat high carb days and high fat very low carb days?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 10:51:49 pm »
I think this is mainly a holdover from natural hygienist fruitarians or as mentioned in complications with high processed starch/sugar/fat. Most people that experience problems with fat/sugar, especially veg, have some kind of fungal/sugar issue to begin with. Therefore abstaining from either fat or sugar alleviates symptoms. Ironically, as these same theorists propose, it has to do with fat intake overall rather than on some daily changing intake. The advantage I see in doing fruit on days of which no fat is consumed is that there is less chance of fermentation. Other than that it seems that on a diet that is otherwise low carb, there is advantage in slowing sugars with animal and dairy fat, and major digestive issues with actually trying to combine carbs with proteins, other than low sugar fruits veg and herbs.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 01:13:05 am »
whenever I eat a piece of fruit I eat 1 or 2 avocados with it...i've never felt anything bad from this.
But avocado fat is obviously not animal fat, so that could be why.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk