Author Topic: Sources of raw, HIGH amounts of Sat. Fat  (Read 19259 times)

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of raw, HIGH amounts of Sat. Fat
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 08:42:09 am »
Thanks for the pics/links! The one I can find here so far is "Maclean's" and they also sell under the name "Woodstown Farms"  www.mcleanorganicfoods.com  I'll keep looking for that duck bacon,it looks awesome.Thanks
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 09:12:02 am »
"Traditionally, bacon is cold smoked. The goal is to apply smoke to the meat without cooking it. That means keeping the temperature well under 150° F." http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001573.html

obviously its not raw, its heated fat and has ingredients like maple syrup which are not raw. Even though its cooked I've never thought to eat that kind of thing out of the package, or are you cooking it? Its also like 16$ a lb and still entirely vegetable fed w/some pasture. There is a guy from VT. that has a purely pastured pig farm who used to sell wares in NYC, just excellent raw eating and half the price. Really cool young guy too thats into traditional processes. I have a guy where I'm at now that has decent stuff but I don't trust eating pork raw that has been frozen and everything has to be frozen here for some reason. Peanut butter is pretty much the worst food on the planet in terms of feeding fungus, so probably any animal or vegetable fat (even heated) or the suggestions above would be far better (maybe even cheaper).

I have seen raw sausage making and such but they are not allowed to sell these in traditional (and I think) farmers markets. Pretty much anything in a sealed and printed package with very few exceptions is not a raw food.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 06:56:21 am »
obviously its not raw, its heated fat and has ingredients like maple syrup which are not raw. ...Its also like 16$ a lb ....
Did you miss where I wrote: "Yeah, I know, under 150° F doesn't meat the standards of raw here, and bacon isn't a pure RPD food....and unfortunately the cobb-smoked bacon does have some maple sugar added....the better quality bacon is pricey and it's still a second-rate food"? :puzzled:

Maybe "un-further-heated bacon" will be more acceptable terminology for the purists. :)

Really cool young guy too thats into traditional processes.
Let me know if you remember who and where the guy is. I’d definitely be interested in trying pork products from pigs that are fed a more omnivorous diet, though probably not if I have to go way out of my way to get it, as I don't eat a lot.

Peanut butter is pretty much the worst food on the planet in terms of feeding fungus, so probably any animal or vegetable fat (even heated) or the suggestions above would be far better (maybe even cheaper).
yes, that's basically what I was getting at. You see, once again you agree with me more than maybe you realize. ;D Un-further-heated bacon is preferable to peanut butter (which is neither raw nor Paleo by any stretch of the imagination and is chock full of lectins, sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oil, etc.), at least for me, and it seemed like a plausible suggestion to someone who expressed interest in a carnivore diet but was thinking of resorting to peanut butter and chocolate for fats.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:05:03 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 08:35:37 am »
at least for me, and it seemed like a plausible suggestion to someone who expressed interest in a carnivore diet but was thinking of resorting to peanut butter and chocolate for fats.

I apologize as that didn't come out at all like I meant it. I meant that obviously it is not raw but is a fine, albeit expensive substitute. That what was supposed to tie the two together. whoops. I was also speaking generally, for people other than yourself that ask about packaged things being raw and so forth. I agree in many situations it really does not matter when seen as degrees and often people fall into unfortunate 'all or nothing' mentalities.

In penance I searched for the last 20 minutes on google to no avail. I'll ask a buddy of mine who works at the market and he might know.

I am curious if you just eat it right out of the package though.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 10:07:19 am »

I've eaten it right out of the package.  It was excellent for calories.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 05:14:58 am »
Before I dropped bacon I loved eating it uncooked. I would buy uncured bacon, soak a whole package overnight in water to get rid of any excess salt or any spices, etc. and then eat it just like that.  :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 05:28:19 am »
I apologize as that didn't come out at all like I meant it. I meant that obviously it is not raw but is a fine, albeit expensive substitute.
Ah, I see.

In penance I searched for the last 20 minutes on google to no avail. I'll ask a buddy of mine who works at the market and he might know.
OK, thanks

Yeah, I just slice it in half and eat it. I tried a couple cheaper brands of pork bacon too, for comparison, but found that they had a soft, rubbery consistency that was hard to chew and caused me to frequently choke on it if I tried to eat it uncooked. I find that it's easier to tell the quality differences between bacon or any meat when I eat them uncooked rather than cooked.

Have you tried pork belly raw, Katelyn? I couldn't manage it and ended up cooking it. I find marrow and suet easier to eat raw.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 02:58:21 am »
I hated raw pork belly! While I am 100% ZC, I am not 100% raw. I do like to lightly cook pork and I cook eggs. I enjoy fatty pork country ribs (not spareribs) and I do cook those lightly. I also sear chicken hearts. I am not afraid to eat cooked meat, but I would never eat carbs. That is just my stance from a health and body composition standpoint.

I can do raw bacon, but just don't have the taste for it anymore. I still eat a lot of raw ground beef and bone marrow. I kind of do days  that are just raw (raw meat and raw marrow) and then a lightly cooked day of maybe pork or lamb with eggs. I would rather be 100% ZC and raw and cooked than be 100% raw with any carbs at all. That would ruin my figure and mind peace  8)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:42 am »
Yeah, same here. Tyler's claims about raw just don't match my experience. Sure, I do better eating raw, but I don't vomit or have any other serious side effects from any cooked animal fats/meats other than dairy products, not that I doubt that he does. The individual variation is pretty remarkable. Like you, I do better on 100% ZC that's mostly cooked (when I have no option other than cooked while eating out or at someone else's house) than I do on raw omnivore.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 09:35:45 am »
I'm planning on having lamb shoulder (boneless) and eggs tomorrow. Yum! Over 70% fat and just the carbs in eggs. I wouldn't waste calories on fruit or greens!  :D

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 10:28:28 am »
Yeah, same here. Tyler's claims about raw just don't match my experience. Sure, I do better eating raw, but I don't vomit or have any other serious side effects from any cooked animal fats/meats other than dairy products, not that I doubt that he does. The individual variation is pretty remarkable.

To that end... I tried eating a cooked chicken breast about a year ago to see if it could be an occasional social food option... nope!  My stomach hurt so much until I finally vomit.  eeeeesh!  Maybe now things would be different? only I don't care to try.  Cooked fats of any kind zap my energy, make me feel 'off'.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 10:33:31 am »
To that end... I tried eating a cooked chicken breast about a year ago to see if it could be an occasional social food option... nope!  My stomach hurt so much until I finally vomit.  eeeeesh!  Maybe now things would be different? only I don't care to try.  Cooked fats of any kind zap my energy, make me feel 'off'.

You haven't touched any cooked food in a year?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 12:05:57 am »
I had a similar experience with the lightly cooked grass-fed/finished ribs I made a couple months ago. Heavy bloated feeling after eating but unfortunately I didn't vomit it out. Spent a couple days feeling pretty shitty after that. No cooked foods for me since then.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 12:22:04 pm »
obviously its not raw, its heated fat and has ingredients like maple syrup which are not raw. Even though its cooked I've never thought to eat that kind of thing out of the package, or are you cooking it? Its also like 16$ a lb ...
Just realized that I neglected to mention that the VT uncured bacon costs about half that in my local market. Even uncured duck bacon is cheaper than that at my market, and I found a cheaper and more raw way to get duck bacon, yay! I found out that duck bacon is made from lightly smoked duck breasts. So I bought some duck breasts and thin-sliced them, and sure enough, it's the same stuff except moister and with no smoke or salt. It's my new favorite "bacon" (though it's not really bacon, since it's not smoked).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk