Author Topic: Cows like the GREEN stuff!  (Read 2105 times)

Offline OnyxPoet

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Cows like the GREEN stuff!
« on: June 26, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »
Hello again all. Recently i was doing a bit of everyday research and i found out more info about the grain-fed grass-fed, grain finished grass finished debate. Now its obvious to me that Grass fed cows have a better Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. They dont produce those evil strains of E.coli because their stomachs are not as acidity. And to some, they taste better too, although have less fat which is good to some but not everyone.

Also, unless it says no antibiotic used, many grass-fed or grass finished/both cows are fed antibiotics through their life. This is not because they need to kill stuff, but because when given in bulk anti-biotics have a steroidal effect which makes the cows huge, and since it Is a business this works out well for the sellers involved. But thats just a side note.

My solution to the many problems of fully grain fed beef ( illustrated here http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/food-politics/grassfed-vs-grainfed-beef-whats-the-difference-and-why-does-it-matter-079032 among many other sites) would be to grass finish them.

This is because even after only 5 days of grass feeding, grain raised cows end up shedding almost all of the E.coli in their bodies, and instantly have better nutrient value as well. Since the finishing period is generally 90 days at Least, that would certainly be a compromise to the, fatten them up fast with corn ideology.

However, if that option is Not used, you will note that start to finish grass fed cows can cost Very large amounts of money to the average commoner, specifically here in America as its the only place I know of. So, if we are to be raw meat eaters, especially if you are the vlc or ZC variety ... and since grass fed from start to finish cows can takes literally years to harvest not to mention the shortage of grass in harsh winters with the need to buy large amounts of hay to supplement ... could the entire world subsist on even 50% beef as their choice of food if they were nothing but grass?

The bottom line is, before industry got hold of the Cow, the worlds ever-growing desire for meat, specifically beef, could never be satiated if we were to go back in time with our current bloodlust. So without the grain feeding strategy it seems it would be slim pickings. So are you all, the grass enthusiast, more interested in grass fed ... Or, does my above proposed grain-fed/grass finished work out better to you, as a compromise if more people were to jump on the raw paleo diet?
I\'m a hardcore perfectionist about most things, so don\'t be Too shocked if i hit the edit button 50 times :P ...

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
Re: Cows like the GREEN stuff!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:16:16 pm »
Nice research.I don't have an answer though.I just know that in this world as we know it,people eat different things for different reasons.I don't think the whole world will turn all Raw-Paleo anytime soon.When we talk about sustainability,we run into all kinds of issues:over-population,poverty,politics,religion,bureaucracy,big company monopolies and advertising,importing,exporting...etc
 Vegans believe they are doing the right thing(they have no use for cows,let alone grass-fed),carnivores,paleo,omnivores also believe they're doing the right thing...and on and on.

Botomline:we should choose the best foods(according to what we believe are the best foods anyway)that we have available to our location,budget and belief system(be it spiritual,health or political).For the rest...let it be,peace.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk