Author Topic: how do u guys eat marrow  (Read 4806 times)

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
how do u guys eat marrow
« on: July 09, 2010, 05:15:25 am »
so i finally got my marrow order from northstarbison.. i scooped em out, they are kinda solid but chewable.. how do you guys eat them??

it has no taste and the consistency is so weird i have to chase it with water.. am i missing something here

carnivore

Re: how do u guys eat marrow
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 05:58:06 am »
so i finally got my marrow order from northstarbison.. i scooped em out, they are kinda solid but chewable.. how do you guys eat them??

it has no taste and the consistency is so weird i have to chase it with water.. am i missing something here

Let it melt gently over an electric heater (low temperature). That should taste better.
Or give it to your dog!    :P

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:01:39 am »
I scoop it out and eat it, either cut up into smaller pieces or taking bites out of a big chunk. I think it's the most palatable raw fat.

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:23:59 am »
do u chew it? mine is solid so i had to chew it.. weird consistency...

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:47:10 am »
Marrow is incredibly variable in taste and texture. Upper leg bones have a more saturated fat which is kind of waxy; similar to suet. Lower legs have a creamier fat closer to butter.
I eat marrow alongside meat. I take a piece of marrow and eat it then eat a piece of meat. Sometimes I eat both at the same time. The only accoutrement I use is a dash of sea salt. I chew it like you did.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 08:38:08 am »
I only get the buttery marrow and use my fingers to poke at it and eat it by itself like a child.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 09:37:32 am »
It took me some time to get used to marrow and to be able to spot the better tasting stuff in the supermarket. I know what you mean about the texture. I'm still not totally used to the mushy-gushy sort of texture, for lack of a better term, but I'm gradually getting more used to it. I don't care for the texture of butter either, so no surprise that butter lovers would like it and I wouldn't.

When I started eating liver I didn't like it at all (although once in a while someone would feed me some cooked calve's liver that wasn't that bad, but I couldn't eat a lot of it). Lately I've been liking it, after about 8 or so months of eating it raw. So I think the taste buds have to heal or be retrained or something.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:49:36 pm »
my marrow is kinda solid, when i try to chew it the consistency is too weird and i feel like puking.. is there anyway i can melt it down somehow into a soup or something i can just drink?

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 03:19:14 pm »
i warm and salt mine ever so slightly.

I scoop it out and put it in a cereal bowl then flatten it out to conform somewhat the the bowl. Place the cereal bowl into a soup bowl and fill the rest of the soup bowl with hot tap water. Kind of a double boiler.

Let it sit a bit, stir it a couple times and add a few grains of fine sea salt. It seems pretty safe on keeping it raw wile much improving the texture and mine comes out looking like melted bubble gum. I would guess I get the temp of it to 85 or 90 degrees, but not sure. I think the tiny bit of salt stimulates some extra saliva to help things. I was finding it pretty difficult to get down before, even a tiny bit needed so much chewing.   

I've wondered if i am warming mine too much. I just thought about putting some in a baggy place somewhere warm against my body to compare texture.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 08:09:47 pm »
I buy the bones from the store--they come in a package cut thin. I then poke out the bone marrow with my thumb and put all the marrow in a tupperwear container. I keep it in the fridge. I then weigh the amount  I eat and have it raw with my raw ground beef. Simple. I like it cold right from the fridge, and it makes it easier to weigh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk