Author Topic: suet vs marrow..  (Read 6320 times)

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
suet vs marrow..
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:37:14 am »
which one is better?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: suet vs marrow..
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:23:02 am »
It's a loaded question.
Suet is more saturated so takes more bile to break it down (harder for beginners) but I find it more sustaining for energy levels. It's also a blander taste and waxy texture.
Marrow is less saturated so easier for newbies to utilize but it seems, in my experience, to spike the energy quicker and dissipate quicker. It's also noted as being more palatable to RPDers.

I prefer suet as my main fat but usually have a marrow day once a week or so. Just like meats & organs I find I do best if I get some variety to my fat intake. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 09:51:13 am »
IMO, marrow! I think it has more nutrients.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 02:30:28 pm »
Suet is nice and convenient...you can buy lots and it can sit in the freezer. The practical side is important.

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 03:23:05 pm »
Better at what? Tasting or nutrition.

I'll let you know what I think tomorrow. I have some suet leftover from my rendering project which I intend to try tomorrow. I've been eating marrow every couple days for the last week. It's mostly tasteless so far, what flavor is there is not something I'm totally enjoying and the texture is throwing me off a bit.

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:16:20 am »
yeah texture is throwing me off a bit too

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:28:14 am »
Suet is cheap and boring, marrow is more expensive but tastes better. Don't know anything about the nutrition, if you're worried I would eat both but eat more of the one you like better.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:20:42 pm »
taste:nutrition
      1:1
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:58:58 pm »
Cheeseburgers must be a superfood then.  :)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:59:52 am »
To me a cheeseburger is not appealing now... It's relative... (However it's been years now since I would have eaten a cheeseburger anyway as I did paleo including cooking for >a yearprior to raw only(~6-7months) 1:1... If you eat SWD then the nutrition in a cheeseburger is much higher relatively so the taste is too. To me... the taste of a cheeseburger would not be nice relatively, and I would certainly not enjoy it, I have no desire at all for it, the thought of the bread repulses me, but I do not desire the meat either, even if it did not also have wheat mixed in it.. However, I'd never eat it in the first place anyway.. If a cheeseburger is still appealing to you, maybe the meat you're eating isn't so great either... Do you eat it fresh, and when you're hungry? You spoke about it being hard to eat your raw meat if I recall correctly? I don't think this should be the case, as I enjoy every meal to the max.. My beef is grain-finished which is a shame, but if you're getting grass finished frozen, storing it for ages etc, maybe it ends up being poor quality. I have my meat fresh every day..

However, I'm only talking about taste and enjoyment... I still have some stuff wrong with me so I can't say what is good or bad for sure..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:09:10 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »
Raw meat tastes alright, but I don't lust for it tbh. I feel attracted to it because my body knows it's 'clean', but if I'm hungry I start craving fatty roast lamb, or burgers or whatever. It would be nice if I could 'switch' to loving raw, but it might not happen for me.

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 06:37:29 am »
Finally got around to the suet. It was very bland, like chewing wax. I also tried raw heart for the firs time along with it...very beefy.

I think the bone marrow is better tasting. Not that the flavor is all that great to me, but that small bit of flavor seems to stimulate my saliva more. I think it's widely accepted that marrow is more nutritious.

Has anyone tried adding a bit of seasoning to suet?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk