Author Topic: High-Meat-Recipe Preparation For More Advanced RAFers  (Read 239698 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: High-Meat-Recipe Preparation For More Advanced RAFers
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2011, 09:58:22 pm »
I re-read the first post in this thread.  It says to air out the meat for a few minutes every 1 - 3 days.  Is it necessary to let in air for that long or will a couple of seconds do it?   I can't imagine being able to keep flies off of it if it's left open for minutes.  Also, does anyone stir it to get air to the bottom?

Thanks
  The main thing is to refresh the air completely. So, shaking it completely would be OK if airing for only a few seconds.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2011, 10:33:18 pm »
Thanks, Tyler.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2011, 05:18:12 am »
My best guess re: getting the bad smell and slime so quickly is because it was left in heat rather than refrigerated or stored in a cool area. I've haven't experienced that with any of my meat except with ground beef left out on during hot summer days. My high meat gets rather stinky after a few weeks, IIRC. Of course, VT is often rather cold and I tend to keep the heater set relatively low. Stink fish only seems to take a few days to get slimy and somewhat stinky.

BTW, the Inuit reportedly prefer high meat that's more than a year or more old. I noticed that the odor and taste of high meat that gets this old is milder, so maybe that's why. It also is very much broken down, with lots of liquid at that point, so maybe easy digestability is another thing they like about >1yr high meat, I don't know.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2011, 12:50:36 am »
I went 48 hours without getting sick so that room temperature batch is fine.  I had some this morning after it had been in the fridge for 2 days.  I enjoyed chewing it.  There are hints of both bitterness and sweetness in the taste.

I'm guessing that one day ripening outside the fridge at about 75F = a week in the fridge.  I think I'll do my next batch entirely in the fridge so I can compare the taste.

Offline rawfishy

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2011, 11:24:26 pm »
Hello.
Now I wanna try High Meat.
I would like to ask what's that:

(3 days in room temperature on a plate)
Is it safe to eat?

Also I prepare beef liver in fridge with aerating

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2011, 03:07:16 am »
Hello.
Now I wanna try High Meat.
I would like to ask what's that:

Is it safe to eat?

It's just yeast/mold.  Perfectly safe to eat, most likely, but you can scrape it off if you don't like it.

Offline rawfishy

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2011, 03:26:02 am »
I cure candida so is it save to eat yeast/mold in this case?  -\ (i'll try vco maybe next week)
so far it is 6 days and smells yummy.

btw liver in refrigerator is 2 weeks old but smells not good.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2011, 10:32:16 am »
I cure candida so is it save to eat yeast/mold in this case?  -\ (i'll try vco maybe next week)
so far it is 6 days and smells yummy.

btw liver in refrigerator is 2 weeks old but smells not good.

I don't know how meat mold would affect candida.  It might out-compete it, or add to the problem, or do basically nothing.

Make sure the liver is exposed to air.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2011, 03:13:53 am »
Question 1: Is there a reason not to use ground meat?
I would think there would be more air contact and faster breakdown.
It's also the only kind of fresh non-frozen meat that I am going to have.

Question 2: How many of you give this to your dogs and do they like it?
My dogs have been on an all raw diet for years. It seems like a good way to preserve some of the fresh meat for them.

I'm probably not far enough along yet to try it for myself.... but we'll see.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2011, 03:18:30 am »
Question 2: How many of you give this to your dogs and do they like it?

With my friend's permission I gave it (various types that I eat) and chunks of raw butter and chunks of raw unsalted cheese.  The dog was very happy with it.  I did not do it long term, so I do not know more.  It was for less than a week.  It was too far away for me.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2011, 03:32:17 am »
Some people have stated they made high-meat successfully from prefrozen meat. It didn't work for me, but maybe I did something wrong.

No idea re raw, ground meat, as I never tried it. I would imagine that it would turn into a liquid soup more quickly than chunks of raw meats.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2011, 05:22:34 am »
Dorothy,
try high heart! I love lambshearts that have gotten high. I just let them age naturally in my fridge. Not in a jar. It works.

Lambshearts give me such a nice feeling anytime! :-*
Huh. I am just in love with them. :)

Inger

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2011, 10:26:39 am »
Inger - Lamb's heart to open the heart! 

I probably can get those in the spring. I will definitely try those. More love in my life is always welcome.  :)

Tyler - Maybe high meat from frozen meat might still be better for my dogs than not fermented foods - even if it wouldn't give me all the benefits - but I think I'll try it with unfrozen ground meat before frozen since they love really slimy disgusting things in general.  ;D  Thanks for that info.

Zi - I have one dog that is healthier and young and perhaps I can try these things on him for awhile first before trying it with the old dogs. They all eat regular raw already. For goodness sakes they love eating chicken poop and last week I saw the young one with a bone that I haven't given them in years - it had to be at least 3 years old! I doubt if any form can do them much harm.

I'll report on how the dogs do on high meat here after we experiment. I have a feeling that it could really help the sick dog.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2011, 10:03:48 pm »
    This dog was very old, sick and weak, and it did not harm him.

Av has recommended herbivore turd successfully when someone wouldn't try any highmeat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2011, 11:04:48 pm »
Herbivore turd really?

I keep on thinking that the chicken poop is probably good for my sick beagle and she wants it desperately - the only problem is that when I bring her in she throws up in the house and has diarrhea inside too and makes an outrageous mess that stinks like nothing else on the planet.

Otherwise - I would let her eat it.

The only way I can let her outside is with a complicated cone setup around her head - but then if she can't eat the poops she doesn't even want to be out there.

But, if someone wouldn't eat high meat I can't imagine them eating turds! Do people really eat cow turds?!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:46 am »
Aajonus isn't the only one. I've seen old-time Hindu-Indian vegetarians recommend eating your own feces or urine for optimal health, including one urine-drinker who advocated it on 60 Minutes. There apparently is also an Irish folk medicine tradition of drinking urine for certain conditions. Not for me, thanks.  ;D
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2011, 02:18:32 pm »
Yes, well, virtually all of us are revolted by this sort of thing. Could we please  get back to the more wholesome subject of high-meat?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:13:02 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2011, 01:29:29 am »
Sorry Tyler - I was just so shocked - but that was a deviation from the subject.

In one way it might not be though. Maybe it says something about what is missing in the diet and how high meat can fill those dietary needs instead?

I'm going to start feeding my beagle high meat and see if it stops her unsavory habits. That would be a GREAT benefit for us indeed. 

Offline MDee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2011, 04:02:41 am »
I love fermented foods (in fact its about all i eat) but I haven't tried this. Some questions and ideas tho.

So if you put a cheese cloth or even say a shirt over the top of a jar of meat would the flies still be able to lay eggs in it? It seems to keep fruit flies out of vinegar.

Also if leaving it outside dries out the meat, what if you have more fat around the meat wouldn't that keep it moist even if left outside exposed to the air?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2011, 05:40:39 am »
    @MkkyDee dried fat makes me gag and makes me feel ill. Fat is not highmeat, but even that feels better to me left out enclosed than open. To make real high meat, follow one of the original sets of directions.

Offline MDee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:56 am »
I'd try the by original instructions for sure ;) I was just tossin an idea out there. Thanks for your response. Dried fat made you gag? huh? Was it suet or kidney fat?

What about a cloth over the jar, would that keep flies out? If say I was to keep it outside and not refrigerate it at all. (By the way I have read this whole thread)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:22 am »
    Suet, kidney fat, marrow etc.

If I make it more at room temp instead of refrigerated, I mix it several times per day, then refrigerated by the time the week's over, otherwise worms grow in it.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2011, 09:55:19 am »
Re putting meat outside and preventing flies from getting at it.

What about puttting the jar in a paper bag, then sealing the folded down part of the bag to itself with melted wax. This sounds like a lot of work at first, but all you need is to drip a candle on it and it's sealed and you could just leave alone for weeks until it is done.
It's pretty cold here now so I'm not doing it or I'll just end up with frozen meat, but maybe somebody in a warmer climate.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2011, 02:40:59 pm »
    @Adora, why not put it below ground. I think it's about fifty degrees F all over the planet four feet and more in the soil all year round. When I Didn't refrigerated highmeat I did it in an earthenware pot (like the terracotta planters) below ground level in my basement when it was warm upstairs and cooler below.

Funny we bury people six feet under where the temperature is conducive to healthful bacteria, but we add vaccine preservative formaldehyde so that doesn't happen. Why do we live our lives above ground where temperatures are less stable? Please don't mind my babble.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2011, 10:16:50 pm »
Ive been hanging a lamb in my shed for the past week and just cutting pieces of it as needed. No refrigeration. Its just now starting to get high, There is a yellowish green surface slime that is beginning to form but the interior meat is still nice and red.

Maggots have taken over the remainder of my bull skull so I threw it to my chickens. I probably have some of the healthiest eggs available. Chickens, free ranged and then fed scraps of high meat infested with juicy maggots(all raised on grassfed).

I have this one chicken that has been living on the cow skull all week eating its fill of maggots, then she leaves me one of the most beautiful eggs every day.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk