Author Topic: spider veins on raw paleo  (Read 16784 times)

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: spider veins on raw paleo
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »
Hi Sully,

thanks for the photos, so now I know your face.
I think I will stop eating so often.
This night I was supersick, I just eat to often to mutch to mixed but I am so scared of loosing weight and I always want to gain weight.
With meat only I am quickly satisfied, always when I try it I loose weight. I consider cooking a bit something like quinoa just for the goal of gaining weight. Fruit would be easy but I dont want all the sugar and anyway I am not very fond of fruit. Does not satisfy me at all.
Hanna, so you dont eat so mutch meat at all. Why?
Where do you get your meat and what kind of meat, what cuts do you like?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 12:55:55 am »
@kurite Yeah that's what I meant, more dense in calories. ;) But I guess calories are considered nutrients too. Just not a vitamin or mineral.
Are you referring to this picture?
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/Junts2005/Hunting-Gathering/?action=view&current=DSCN5204.jpg&newest=1
Those are red tart cherries next to the mulberries. Some garlic mustard greens there too.

@noel How much do you weigh? And how tall are you? And whats your muscle mass like? This would give clues to if your under/over weight or if you need to exercise to build some muscle. Diet alone is not as good as diet and exercise combined.
BTW, Wild animal's weight natural shifts and changes through the seasons. Weight fluctuation is a natural part of life.
You can be skinny and have little muscle, and you can be fat and have little muscle. Both are not good.
Woman might need more fat than men however. Especially during pregnancy. I killed a male and female rabbit in a close time period (same season).
The female had more fat.
I also wouldn't recommend cooked quinoa.

Here's a photo of me when I was 16. I was thin but had a good amount of muscle due to exercise. I actually felt extremely good at that lighter weight. SO don't be shy of losing or gaining fat as long as you have some muscle!
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/Junts2005/?action=view&current=After-Weight130to133lbs.jpg

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 05:01:36 am »
Hi Sully,

1,65 m (5,4 feet) and 42 kg (92,6 pounds). I haven t got a lot of muscle mass right now. In fact I havent got mutch bodymass. Before I became vegan was in good shape, as a vegan I lost weight and had a harder time building muscles  :( I hope that with all this animal protein I will gain weight now and muscles. ;D
I just have to find a way to get enough calories with this diet. Today I felt so sick I could hardly eat. I have to eat more tomorro to balance it. I dont like this pressure. I am looking forward to the time when I have found the perfect diet for me  ;)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 11:36:38 am »
Yes, Noel, I can see by your arms that you became dangerously thin from your vegan diet and likely at higher risk for osteoporosis. You're right to want to treat your thinness.

I'm thin too. Here are some things that help me and others, though I'm still rather thin (but weigh about 15 lbs more than what I bottomed out at):

> keeping plenty of foods on hand that I like and that don't make me sick or ruin my digestion
> making time for eating
> doing body building compound exercises like squats and dead lifts (with your fine bones, I would start out with no weights, do avoid potential damage)
> getting plenty of sleep, sunshine and relaxation

Re: spider veins, in my case, years ago, when I cut out grains and took vitamin K supplements for my easy-bruising most, though not all, of my tiny spider veins on my face also cleared up along with the bruises. I wasn't expecting this. When I looked into it I found that vitamin K is used as an oral and topical treatment for spider veins and that wheat and other grains can deplete vitamin K. YMMV

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Hanna

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 02:41:01 pm »
Hi noel,

Why going from one extreme to the other? Furthermore, our body needs a minimum quantity of glucose. Consider what Alphagruis wrote:

Quote from: michaelwh on July 20, 2010, 06:02:23 AM

I'm not just talking theoretically. I tried a raw carnivore diet while doing lots of heavy exercise every day (both aerobic and anaerobic). My appetite skyrocketed, as did my food bill. I found that adding a small amount of carbs (50-100g per day) significantly reduced my appetite for meat, while maintaining performance.

Yes it is quite absurd in terms of energetic and biochemical efficiency to force our organism to systematically convert proteins or glycerol into glucose in order to meet the irreducible quantity we need anyway to run brain and muscles. This minimum amounts apparently indeed to 50-100g a day that we optimally get from fruit, vegetables and starchy roots.

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/hot-topics/is-it-actually-more-environmentally-friendly-to-eat-fruit/20/

I get chicken liver, (sucking) lamb liver, bone marrow, brain from a local organic farmer so far. On some days I eat almost exclusively fatty fish.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 03:24:44 am »
@noel
Yeah, you might be too thin. I think a better weight would definitely be more than that.
Exercise really is good. You don't need weights either. Instead of squats or deadlifts,
 I would recommend running up flights of stairs or running up a hill. To make it more challenging hold weights in you hands. Walking is one of the best exercises. Just get active! Martial arts is good too. I would recommend submission grappling/wrestling.
Jujitsu would be good
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Jiu-Jitsu

For diet I would recommend just fruit, meat and some greens(then later experiment with other version of raw paleo). See what raw meat you like the best so you can eat more during a meal. For instance, I like grass fed bison and wild salmon more than beef. I wouldn't recommend dairy, since I personally don't do well on it. It is also hard to come by grass fed raw dairy.

Here's a a bit I found on the warrior diet website, some good advice.
www.warriordiet.com
Warrior Diet Principles

"1. Eat One Main Meal at Night
There is evidence that humans are nocturnal eaters, inherently programmed for undereating and toiling during the day, followed by overeating and relaxing at night.
2. Go Low on the Food Chain
Researchers believe that the human genome is programmed for a late Paleolithic world. As hunter/gatherers we're better adapted to pre-agricultural food– i.e. chemical-free fruit, vegetables, roots, sprouted legumes, nuts, seeds, fertile eggs, marine food (wild catch), and dairy from grass fed animals.
3. Exercise While Undereating
It has been established that we are inherently carrying survival mechanisms that benefit us when triggered by physical or nutritional stress such as exercise or undereating. Combining exercise with undereating will amplify the beneficial mechanisms of both – increasing our ability to utilize energy, improve strength and resist fatigue. "

Hope this helps

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk