Author Topic: Vegan/soy diet does cause androgeny:  (Read 26304 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vegan/soy diet does cause androgeny:
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2010, 10:04:48 am »
Ive noticed when reading a book some writers don't accentuate one point and move on. They jump around and reiterate what they said over and over with redundance.

Agreed emphatically. Some books with really good technical info (imo) fall prey to this.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:08 am »
I would like to know what everyone would respond to dangers of soy myths. I DO believe soy is bad, but I am running into too many people that think it is all just a myth, and that soy is still good because of X.

I don't think theses statistics were made with actual Paleo or Raw Paleo, high quality foods, but what do you think about this link?

http://www.goodhealthinfo.net/dangers_of_soy_myth.htm

The so-called dangers of soy is misinformation propagated primarily by Sally Fallon and the Weston Price Foundation, who claim not only that meat and animal products are essential for health but that soy is supposedly harmful.

This just doesn't stand up to scientific scrutiny. In his article "What About Soy?," John Robbins refutes these claims conclusively and in detail. Another article, "Is It Safe to Eat Soy?," by Virginia Messina, MPH, RD, and Mark Messina, PhD, professors at Loma Linda University, concludes, "Based on the bulk of the evidence soy appears to be perfectly safe for nearly all healthy individuals when it is consumed in reasonable amounts. We would say that a reasonable amount of soy is two to three servings per day."

A multiyear study of 5,000 women published in the December 2009 JAMA, reported in many media outlets, concluded that soy was not only safe but beneficial: "Among women with breast cancer, soy food consumption was significantly associated with decreased risk of death and recurrence."

A search on the NY Times site for "soy and cancer" reveals that back in 1998 and '99, articles about soy's described its benefits. Fallon's first book was published in October 1999, and in the 2000s (coincidentally ...) coverage started to get negative.

The idea that an animal-based diet is healthier than a vegetarian diet is simply not supported by the statistics. For example:

Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat daily compared to less than once a week: 3.8 times
For women who eat eggs daily compared to once a week: 2.8 times
For women who eat butter and cheese 2-4 times a week: 3.25 times
Increased risk of fatal ovarian cancer for women who eat eggs 3 or more times a week vs. less than once a week: 3 times
Increased risk of fatal prostate cancer for men who consume meat, cheese, eggs and milk daily vs. sparingly or not at all: 3.6 times.

Average U.S. man's risk of death from heart attack: 50 percent
Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat: 15 percent
Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat, dairy or eggs: 4 percent
Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption of meat, dairy and eggs by 10 percent: 9 percent
Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption by 50 percent: 45 percent
Amount you reduce risk if you eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from your diet: 90 percent
It's true that one needs to buy soy products made from organic soybeans, to avoid chemical contamination and GMOs, but other than that, the ostensible dangers of soy are a myth.

Edit: I like this for information about soy dangers, but it will have some still saying "why? What is it based on? Show me studies."...http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/04/soy-dangers-summarized.aspx
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:27:39 am by Suiren »
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2013, 08:54:55 am »
Some things to note is that most studies showing increased health problems for animal food consumption are

1) focusing on feed lot, factory farmed animal foods.

I'm sure if those same people were eating grass fed meats, wild caught fish, pastured chicken and eggs etc. There would be different results.

2) they focus on cooked animal foods

We all eat raw animal foods.

As far as soy... I'm not for it. It is a bean, and beans aren't paleo.

Here's some good info on soy

http://btvc.webfactional.com/knowledge-base/detail/soy/

Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins including enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. These inhibitors can produce serious gastric distress, reduced protein digestion and chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake.

Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together. Trypsin inhibitors and haemagglutinin are growth inhibitors

Soy contains goitrogens - substances that depress thyroid function.

I have read extensively about estrogenic compounds in soy causing serious illnesses
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2013, 09:34:53 am »
DaBoss

I'm not for soy either in any way. Just need arguments, because I keep getting told soy is good.

I liked this list:

Soy Dangers Summarized

High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking, but only with long fermentation. High-phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.
Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals, soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.
Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.
Soy phytoestrogens are potent antithyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.
Soy foods increase the body's requirement for Vitamin D. Toxic synthetic Vitamin D2 is added to soy milk.
Fragile proteins are over-denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.
Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.
Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods to mask soy's unpleasant taste.
Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum, which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.

Dr. Mercola also writes about infants and soy formula  :'( :'(

Soy Infant Formula: Birth Control Pills for Babies

Babies fed soy-based formula have 13,000 to 22,000 times more estrogen compounds in their blood than babies fed milk-based formula. Infants exclusively fed soy formula receive the estrogenic equivalent of at least four birth control pills per day.

Male infants undergo a testosterone surge during the first few months of life, when testosterone levels may be as high as those of an adult male. During this period, baby boys are programmed to express male characteristics after puberty, not only in the development of their sexual organs and other masculinity traits, but also in setting patterns in the brain characteristic of male behavior.

In animals, studies indicate that phytoestrogens in soy are powerful endocrine disrupters. Soy infant feeding -- which floods the bloodstream with female hormones that inhibit testosterone -- cannot be ignored as a possible cause of disrupted development patterns in boys, including learning disabilities and attention deficit disorder.

Male children exposed to DES, a synthetic estrogen, had testes smaller than normal on maturation and infant marmoset monkeys fed soy isoflavones had a reduction in testosterone levels up to 70 percent compared to milk-fed controls.

Almost 15 percent of white girls and 50 percent of African-Americans girls show signs of puberty, such as breast development and pubic hair, before the age of eight. Some girls are showing sexual development before the age of three. Premature development of girls has been linked to the use of soy formula and exposure to environmental estrogen-mimickers such as PCBs and DDE.

Intake of phytoestrogens even at moderate levels during pregnancy can have adverse affects on the developing fetus and the timing of puberty later in life.

For those seeking scientific references please see my earlier article.

So if children are starting puberty too early nowadays, starting it late is a good thing then?
I also read that women who started their periods late, will remain fertile for longer and not hit menopause as early. I wonder if that is true.
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk