Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 55096 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 08:18:35 am »
That last photo should be an ad for the paleo lifestyle, looks almost as polished as a Nike ad picture.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 09:33:55 am »
Yeah, it's a good shot for sure!

Sully, maybe you could take one where you're in the woods or something?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2008, 10:58:08 pm »
Mammoths, haha ;)  I would need some more people to take down one of those. Unless, I get lucky. -d

Yeah I did think about getting some taken in a more woodzy setting. I will get some soon.

Satya

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2008, 11:46:19 pm »
I see plenty of squirrels, should I hunt them?? they look healthy...  -\

Squirrels have been listed in recipes for ages.  I probably would not eat raccoons or possums raw, as they are omnivorous (if not carnivorous) and might harbor nasty things in their flesh.

Speaking of possums.  When they kill a chicken, they eat the head and guts only.  That's how you know that a possum killed your chicken, by the headless, gutless carcass left behind.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2008, 09:37:21 pm »
Soon, I will kill me a squirrel. ;D

Offline Dan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2008, 10:39:18 am »
I read about some hillbillies who caught some rare disease from eating squirrel brains.  It's not recent, but something to think about.

Offline mors01

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2008, 11:22:56 am »
I once killed a seagull and ate it. In hindsight, this was probably not such a good idea, since seagulls often eat junk food
that's thrown out by humans.

I once found a dead squirrel, that was not yet rotten. I brought it home, and prepared it for eating. There was very little meat, and barely any fat.
I ended up throwing the squirrel out, because I didn't know how it died, and I was worried about rabies.

I once caught a baby canada goose. There wasn't much meat or fat either. I've been eyeing adult canada geese or swans and planning
on catching one, but never got around to it.

-Mike

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2009, 05:58:41 am »
so i read through this thread... im still a little unclear though. is it safe to eat any wild animal raw? i know that there is rabbit fever that i have to be aware of, but other than that, is it pretty safe? also, is it generally ok to eat reptiles raw too or is that a no no. also also, how about freshwater fish? any insight would be greatly appreciated. im hoping to go spend a few days in the wild within the week, so wanted to get a few things straight.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2009, 07:20:20 am »
Well, I've eaten wild hare, wild mallard duck etc. etc. for years now, with never any issues. So, I'm generally of the view that the whole issue of parasites/bacteria is way overhyped. I might be more concerned if I was in a tropical environment and faced with easily -contaminated meats, if in a particularly unhygienic area(eg:- post-monsoon), but, otherwise, it's just not something I could ever worry about.

A few people have claimed that parasites are more of an issue if you eat the raw meat of carnivores/omnivores, and thet raw herbivore meat is fine(I suppose the theory goes that the higher up the food-chain , the more predators have the opportunity of picking up parasites from eating other species, or some such nonsense.Make of it what you will.)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2009, 02:16:41 am »
here are some pics of mine, rabbit and squirrel

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2009, 06:08:02 am »
very cool. did you eat all that raw? how were the eyeballs? is there enough meat on a squirrel to bother? also, how'd you kill them?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2009, 06:49:43 am »
The rabbit was killed in this past spring. My friend shot it in the neck with his bb gun. I ate some raw but didn't finish it all and shared some cooked with my friend. The eye balls were salty and easy to chew. Very tasty.

The squirrel was killed this past spring. I shot it from my window in my backyard. Very illegal. I shot it with my pellet pump rifle. When I gutted it, the heart had a hole in it. The pellet entered the heart put didn't exit it. I discarded the heart because the pellet was lead. I also discarded the rib cage were the pellet entered.

Its not worth killing a squirrel for food unless your starving. Its about 1-2 meals including the organs and brains (depending on how big the squirrel is). Squirrels have a habit to go in garbage cans too, but they rarely do this in my side of town because of all the black walnut trees and acorns. A rabbit however is definitely worth it, much meat and organs and they eat from gardens and dandelion greens etc in my neighborhood. Very rare for them to eat human garbage because of their food is very plentiful and they don't climb. Squirrels are very hard to skin and the hair is a mess and sticks all over the meat. Not worth the trouble.

Next year I will get a hunting license to hopefully tag a white tailed deer. I will buy a freezer for the basement to store all the meat and organs.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2009, 06:52:04 am »
Killing a wild animal yourself is much better. You got blood, all the organs, and cuts of meat to choose from.
Its definitely the best in nutrition too.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2009, 06:57:53 am »
awesome. im actually trying to get a compound bow off craigslist so i can go hunt deer on my parents land. wonder if i need a permit for that... actually i dont really care, im gonna do it anyway. does anyone here hunt with bows? any suggestions on bow makes? i've seen browning, fred bear, matthews, and pse bows listed but don't really know which is a good starter bow...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:29:17 pm by yon yonson »

William

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »
Best take a look at the bow-hunting (archery) forums, they can answer all your questions. I'm not even a hunter; benchrest is my hobby.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2009, 04:17:26 am »
awesome. im actually trying to get a compound bow off craigslist so i can go hunt deer on my parents land. wonder if i need a permit for that... actually i dont really care, im gonna do it anyway. does anyone here hunt with bows? any suggestions on bow makes? i've seen browning, fred bear, matthews, and pse bows listed but don't really know which is a good starter bow...
I would get a cross bow. In my state you can only use a cross bow legally if your elderly or handicap. I would do it anyway if I had land.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2009, 11:26:02 am »
I am not against hunting whatsoever, as long you intend to eat most of the animal.  I do know of those who have wounded a deer to only have it run away to die? some where.  My advice, get real good at hitting targets dead on every time before you try to take another life.   I think you'll suffer mentally, not to mention the animal, if you know it got away and has to suffer.  I watched this guy go on 'safari' to shoot a lion with a cross bow.  It took about three arrows.  All the while his guides were only feet away with high powered rifles.  What a jerk, if you ask me.  But for food, totally different.  Trust me I am not negative on shooting animals for food,  it's just the needless suffering that pains me. 

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2009, 11:46:07 am »
So true. I have a few hunter freinds. One of them was telling me a story how he went hunting with a 1st timer(a co-worker of his). After hours of tracking they found it to be a doe & her fawn. The 1st timer took aim & killed the doe. My friend was mad & started cursing his co-worker off & was yelling hunting etiquette.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2009, 11:55:44 am »
I haven't tried hunting yet, but there are pluses and minuses to both rifle and bow hunting and hunters debate it.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2009, 11:03:44 am »
More good pictures Sully.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2009, 06:03:02 am »
Kill something for a reason, for food, cloths, and to survive. That's how i go about that.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DDHxOqFkAs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DDHxOqFkAs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wwNbwPVFkSc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wwNbwPVFkSc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2009, 07:45:44 am »
I hunt, bow and rifle although I've only been successful with rifle.  I killed my first deer this past November on opening day of rifle season here in Vermont (see my Avatar for the picture).

In my opinion hunting requires that we take on some pretty serious ethical responsibilities.  I've been hunting for four years with a hand-made (by me) wood bow, and only this year invested in a rifle.   

There is a debate, both among hunters and between hunters and non- and anti-hunters regarding how it should be done.  Bow vs. rifle vs. muzzleloader vs. shotgun vs. crossbow vs. not at all.  An archer who keeps themselves in shape, practices regularly and is familiar with their equipment can put sequential arrows into a paper plate at 30 yards, and will have no problem making a clean, ethical kill.  I meet very few people like this, though.  Studies show that most (over 50%) deer hit with an arrow by hunters are never recovered, and therefore run off to die an agonizing death due to an infected wound or blood loss within hours to weeks of when they were initially shot.  Choosing to be a bow hunter is a big commitment, unless you leave your soul at home and don't mind killing two deer for each you bring home.

Gun-hunted deer are also shot and never recovered, but the proportion is much lower.  You still need to practice with your tool before opening day, though.  You'll never perform as well when there's a deer in your sights as you do on the range, because the deer being there raises your heart rate, your breathing rate, and does all sorts of other crazy things to your ability to concentrate and keep your hands steady.  If you haven't learned this first hand yet, I'm sure you will.

In deciding on bow versus rifle, both have pros and cons.  The pros of a bow are that they're quiet and that they're safe for the hunter and for other people in the area.  It's very unlikely a hunter will shoot him or herself, and you have to be close enough to whatever you're shooting that you aren't likely to mistake, say, a golden lab or a horse for a deer.  Arrows also don't travel far, so you're not likely to kill the person hanging their laundry the next ridge over if you take a shot without a good backstop.  THIS IS NOT, however, an excuse to take a shot without a good backstop (something immediately behind your target that will stop your arrow or bullet in the event you miss).

The cons of a bow are that you have to get a lot closer to take a lethal shot, which is HARD.  You also have to practice A LOT more with a bow to get good enough to put the arrow where you want it to go.  Risk of lost game, as I noted above, is a lot higher.  You also need to have finely tuned arrows and razor sharp broadheads, because you're depending on cutting a lot of blood vessels and perhaps puncturing lungs to kill the animal, and if your broadhead isn't sharp any hole it makes can seal up fast and the animal will dash off wounded to die later of an infection.

The pros of a firearm are that you can take a longer-range shot, so your field craft doesn't have to be as good.  Bullets rely on doing massive tissue damage rather than cutting vessels or puncturing lungs, so it's more likely that a shot--any shot--will be more lethal when made with a gun than with a bow. 

The cons of firearms is that they're loud, and non-hunters and admittedly many hunters don't like to be in the woods near where a firearm is discharged.  From personal experience I can say that hearing a rifle go off a few hundred yards from you when you didn't even know a hunter was there is very unsettling.  And that says nothing about watching a bullet tear into a tree a few feet from your head, shot by someone a mile+ away who pulled the trigger without a backstop.  Which brings up the issue of safety.  Guns are freaking dangerous.  They just are.  They represent a danger to the person carrying them (unless unloaded), and they represent a danger to anyone within a few miles when one is discharged.  People, including hunters and non-hunters, are killed by hunting accidents (including errant bullets) every year, without fail.  A couple years ago, maybe fall of 2008, a toddler was killed in his bed here in Vermont when a rifle bullet poked through the house wall after being shot by a hunter in a forest hundreds of yards away.  He obviously didn't have a backstop.  Amazingly enough the hunter was caught, and gets to spend the next several years of his life in a state-sponsored cage, which suits me just fine.  And the other danger of firearms related to their range is that you can take a shot at something far away and kill it, which means people are tempted to take longer shots at targets they can't always see.  A few years back in Vermont someone was killed during turkey season, and this past spring at two hunters were shot during turkey season, although I think they both survived.  And this says nothing of the many livestock, dogs, and other deer-look-a-likes that roam forest and field that get shot because they're in range of the firearm but are too far for the hunter to clearly see what they actually are.

I hope you do get to go hunting, but I also hope you are aware of the ethical responsibilities you're taking on when you carry gun or bow into the forest intent on tagging game.  If I can be of any help, feel free to email or PM me.

Be safe!

carnivore

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2009, 02:08:15 pm »
Studies show that most (over 50%) deer hit with an arrow by hunters are never recovered, and therefore run off to die an agonizing death due to an infected wound or blood loss within hours to weeks of when they were initially shot.  Choosing to be a bow hunter is a big commitment, unless you leave your soul at home and don't mind killing two deer for each you bring home.

Some dogs (bloodhound) are trained to track injured animals. Hunters should use them more often !

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2009, 07:17:36 pm »
You know, I have at times wanted to do a little hunting with a rifle(deer only because they're in large numbers and breed back their numbers very easily by comparison to many other hunted species), but Eric's post mentioning toddlers being shot  has really put me off the whole business. I'm not sure I would be careful enough to always have a backstop etc..
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2009, 08:16:23 pm »
You know, I have at times wanted to do a little hunting with a rifle(deer only because they're in large numbers and breed back their numbers very easily by comparison to many other hunted species), but Eric's post mentioning toddlers being shot  has really put me off the whole business. I'm not sure I would be careful enough to always have a backstop etc..

Probably a better chance of being struck with lightning than shooting another person, and it makes sense to use a relatively short range weapon such as a 12 gauge with slugs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk