Author Topic: Should you eat the skin of wild raw fish like salmon?  (Read 20054 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Should you eat the skin of wild raw fish like salmon?
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:32:51 am »
I believe the skin has most of the omega 3's, that's why I would want to eat it. But, I read in We Want to Live by Aajonus Vonderplanitz that he recommends not eating the skin of the animals.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Should you eat the skin of wild raw fish like salmon?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:43:41 am »
I always eat the skin of fish when I eat fish. Besides usually having the fattiest part of the cut right at the skin it just feels/tastes better to eat it with most fish.
Of course I had the skin with wild salmon one time and it hadn't been scaled well. That was unpleasant.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 07:53:03 am »
thanks.

so are all raw fish acceptable?

any better than others or is it preference?

any i should avoid raw?

bobby

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:14:43 am »
I eat the skin, scales, and bones of fish. One reason not to eat poultry skin, is that it is heated to quickly pull off the feathers. But I think that fish skin is fine to eat.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:17:50 am »
so are all raw fish acceptable?
Depends on your views on parasites. Some species, particularly freshwater species, are prone to worms, flukes, etc.

any better than others or is it preference?
I think it comes down to preference. Your body's basal mineral/nutrition needs might guide this preference though.

any i should avoid raw?
A lot of the freshwater fishes are a bit more worrisome, due to the above, than sea fishes.
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 09:21:40 am »
does anyone know if mackerel from Portugal is farmed or wild, fresh or sea water? It didn't say anything on the package.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 11:12:02 am »
I tried to eat the skin of sockeye salmon.My knife could barely cut through it,let alone my teeth.I remember it was pretty easy to eat the skin in my cooked days though.
In order to eat "whole seafood" when possible,I eat clams(insides of course) and scallops.I eat quite of bit of tuna, but it doesn't come with the skin anyway.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:25:04 am »
Chances are most paleo people preferred to hunt large game (kill one feed the whole family, also may have been more easily available), but I am sure some took advantage of the seasonal mass gatherings of fish like salmon.

I eat salmon with the skin. Here in this video Inuit people tear off the skin and dip the meat in seal oil I believe, although it sounds like he said seed oil lol
but i am sure it's seal oil

it's about 5min into the video, where they dip the meat in oil
http://www.travelfilmarchive.com/item.php?id=11953

the fish they are eating is much different than salmon though, maybe fish which go up river to spawn are the most edible...
salmon skin taste good to me :)

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 01:48:14 pm »
According to this article/blog: http://gobiestogrizzlies.blogspot.com/2008/08/brown-bear-fishing-behavior-prey.html  Bears prefer salmon brains and roe.They will split the skin open,go for the brains,then pop the abdomen area and get the roe.So if you want the best part,do as the bear does.

Of course,they will eat the whole thing if supply is low or early in the season when they're super hungry.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 03:42:51 pm »
Depends on your views on parasites. Some species, particularly freshwater species, are prone to worms, flukes, etc.
I think it comes down to preference. Your body's basal mineral/nutrition needs might guide this preference though.

A lot of the freshwater fishes are a bit more worrisome, due to the above, than sea fishes.

Are shellfish all sea fish, or are some fresh water fish?
Where do I find out which fresh are from the sea and which are freshwater.

Is it good to eat raw clams? How about raw shrimps?

How do I open the clams, mussels, oysters? The guy behind the counter kept telling me that he was required to tell me to cook them and said I would have trouble opening them until I boiled them

Which freshwater fish are prone to worms, flukes, etc?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:50:58 pm by bharminder »

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 07:46:15 pm »
Are shellfish all sea fish, or are some fresh water fish?
Where do I find out which fresh are from the sea and which are freshwater.
I know there are freshwater mussels. There are also crayfish/crawdads. I'm not sure what other freshwater shellfish there might be. You should be able to do a quick Google search. :)

Is it good to eat raw clams? How about raw shrimps?
Both seem to be fine. Clams should be eaten when in season (I think you can eat them in months with an "R" in it? I'm allergic to shellfish so it's not something I'm too familiar with). Shrimp should be ok year round I believe.

How do I open the clams, mussels, oysters? The guy behind the counter kept telling me that he was required to tell me to cook them and said I would have trouble opening them until I boiled them
You shuck them with a knife. Basically you slide a knife into the gap between the two shells and slice through anything that will hold it shut.
You definitely don't need to boil them to get them open.

Which freshwater fish are prone to worms, flukes, etc?
I'm not sure. You'll need to look into it further with searches or perhaps someone else has more info. I read on here I believe that the freshwater fish are more prone to them but I don't believe I saw a species listing.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 03:18:52 am »
ok thanks, is cod a good one to eat? i saw  massive amounts of it at the fish counter and it was on sale too.

I just had some raw wild salmon with skin, it was good! The flesh was soft and very very easy to chew. and the skin, while it felt hard at first, ...I cut it up into pieces and then it was chewable and it tastes good too!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:46:32 am by bharminder »

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 06:41:29 am »
ok thanks, is cod a good one to eat? i saw  massive amounts of it at the fish counter and it was on sale too.
I've not had it myself so I don't know how it tastes raw.
It can have some parasites (worms) but they should be easy to remove following the advice in this link (http://www.ehow.com/how_6021602_clean-parasites-fresh-cod-fish.html). I know it's tough getting past the thought of eating a fish that had parasites in it though so you might want to try a different fish. -\
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 09:05:26 am »
haha I hear you.

So to clarify, wild: swordfish, tuna, salmon, and all wild shellfish are good to go for consumption?

Do I need to actively search these for parasites or worms also?

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 09:55:30 am »
I know tuna has a low parasite risk. Shellfish like oysters, scallops, and clams can be farmed, because they will feed on the same food regardless. I would just expect wild shellfish to be more nutritious.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 10:58:35 am »
Is raw halibut good to eat?

And how much should seafood cost?
wild salmon here is $12.99 per lb.
- a half pound seems like very little meat.

tuna is $22 a pound and swordfish is $17 a pound

good deal on some shellfish like mussels $5 a pound, and shrimps 30-40 for $7

I shopped these at WholeFoods(health food store). Are these prices legit? It seems at this rate it would cost quite a bit for a continuous supply of seafood. For example, grass fed ground beef is $4 a pound when you buy 3 or more pounds. Comepare that to $22 per pound tuna and that is a huge difference!

Any suggestions, should I shop somewhere else?

Upon reading the following excerpt by Aajonus Vonderplanitz in We Want to Live, I was in total alignment with the reason for getting into raw meats and dairy. Tooth decay.

"We ate a lot of fruit because sweetness appealed to all of us. Even though we felt better in general, too often we suffered severe symptoms, over-emotionality, hyperactivity and irritability. Those experiences were no different than our experiences on the standard-American diet (SAD). We assumed that instinctive-eating was a better diet because it was natural. When my teeth began to rapidly decay, I began to doubt the power of food. Someone suggested that I eat a modified raw diet that restricted high-carbohydrate food, including carrot and sweet-fruit juices, and sweet fruit. I was appalled at the suggestion because I loved sweet fruit.

Since I wanted to stop my tooth-decay, I tried eating a raw diet of meat, dairy, eggs, green vegetable juices and only 1/2 cup of fruit daily. The diet was not as enjoyable and I was often nauseated for the first 3 weeks but my life gradually improved. My tremendous anxiety over the polluted, greed-driven and fearful structure of society and government settled. I spent more time finding or creating solutions and less time brooding and being ineffective. I became less sensitive to cold temperatures and less hyperactive. My over-enthusiasm and zealousness mellowed. I became better able to communicate, write and read. When I ate too much fruit, I relapsed into heightened anxiety. "
- http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Articles/Vonderplanitz/Recipe_for_Living_Without_Disease

Now that I'm considering what else is written in that exerpt, I notice similar effects in that I am less hyperactive, less worrisome, and definately less anxious about the greed of people and even pollution and also the structure of the government and society. And, I can read more clearly and effectively.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:13:58 pm by bharminder »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 02:36:22 pm »
According to this article/blog: http://gobiestogrizzlies.blogspot.com/2008/08/brown-bear-fishing-behavior-prey.html  Bears prefer salmon brains and roe.They will split the skin open,go for the brains,then pop the abdomen area and get the roe.So if you want the best part,do as the bear does.

Of course,they will eat the whole thing if supply is low or early in the season when they're super hungry.
They eat the whole thing when they are hungry. But then they get fuller and fuller and instinct tells them to keep eating cause there is still food(need to pack on pounds for hibernation). But since they are full, they can only eat the tastiest parts (roe, skin, brains). It is kind of similar to how humans can eat a big meal but can have some ice cream afterwords because of the taste.

Well, at least that's my theory,

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 03:39:25 pm »
I'm going to guess edumecadedly and say the roe, skin and brains are high in fat, which is exactly what the bears need to store and discard the lean meat.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 07:27:56 pm »
Is raw halibut good to eat?
I think it's ok. I believe someone posted in the past couple weeks saying they eat a lot of it.

And how much should seafood cost?
wild salmon here is $12.99 per lb.
- a half pound seems like very little meat.

tuna is $22 a pound and swordfish is $17 a pound

good deal on some shellfish like mussels $5 a pound, and shrimps 30-40 for $7

I shopped these at WholeFoods(health food store). Are these prices legit? It seems at this rate it would cost quite a bit for a continuous supply of seafood. For example, grass fed ground beef is $4 a pound when you buy 3 or more pounds. Comepare that to $22 per pound tuna and that is a huge difference!
Prices are highly variable by location, vendor, and freshness.
My wife and I just splurged by spending $70 yesterday at the farmers market on fish. We got one pound of scallops, 2 pounds of swordfish, and 2 pounds of tuna. Everything was caught on Friday. Obviously there was a premium because it was bought from the fisherman at a farmers market and it was so fresh but there's also some savings since it was ~35 miles to the sea.
The prices you're quoting seem high but it is at Whole Foods which is notoriously expensive.

[/quote]
I'm going to guess edumecadedly and say the roe, skin and brains are high in fat, which is exactly what the bears need to store and discard the lean meat.
I'm with you there.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 02:28:03 am »
So I'm reading some about different worms and parasites often found in fish such as cod or salmon.

Should I be slicing and inspecting each fish fillet that I get, or are these worms and parasites found in fish not harmful and pass through into the stool?

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 12:19:09 pm »
Are these parasites or worms? If so, what should I do if I eat fish again?

It didn't seem to move so I don't know what it is. It looks kind of wormy.

Any advice? I'm feeling uneasy. Do these things survive in a mammal?

For those that eat raw fish, do you inspect it thoroughly? I mean, it's just not cool that I found this thing and a couple others in my salmon fillet. They were pretty hard to find and I was only looking for them as i was eating the fillet sandwich that I made, so I wasn't being too careful because i didn't think I'd see anything anyway.....but I did!

I thought worms were uncommon....and I haven't even opened up the cod I got yet.

So are these worms harmless?

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 12:20:44 pm »
What about this thing I found on youtube. uploader says it is from a salmon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78deAoEJy_Q

anyways,

Now, am i supposed to eat the intestines of shrimp?
They look like long, black segmented with clear sections. Looks like poop. Should I be taking that crap out of each shrimp?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:52:06 pm by bharminder »

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 06:41:53 pm »
Are these parasites or worms? If so, what should I do if I eat fish again?

It didn't seem to move so I don't know what it is. It looks kind of wormy.

Any advice? I'm feeling uneasy. Do these things survive in a mammal?

For those that eat raw fish, do you inspect it thoroughly? I mean, it's just not cool that I found this thing and a couple others in my salmon fillet. They were pretty hard to find and I was only looking for them as i was eating the fillet sandwich that I made, so I wasn't being too careful because i didn't think I'd see anything anyway.....but I did!

I thought worms were uncommon....and I haven't even opened up the cod I got yet.

So are these worms harmless?

It looks like a worm. I'm not sure what kind.
I've inspected some of my fish before and did find some worms in it. It's disturbing especially if you've already eaten some of it without bothering to check it.

Now, am i supposed to eat the intestines of shrimp?
They look like long, black segmented with clear sections. Looks like poop. Should I be taking that crap out of each shrimp?
You can eat it. When people de-vein shrimp they pull that out but I know people who eat cook & eat shrimp with it in.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 06:59:45 pm »
Call me a wimp but no more fish for me.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 07:59:39 pm »
Does freezing kill the parasites?

I've started eating loads, as in at least a kilo per day, of pre-frozen (sometimes still frozen) wild salmon.
Before this I ate fresh wild fish every day, such as tuna and cod. Cod tastes alright but I got sick of seeing parasites in them so I ended up eating tuna every day (until I found frozen wild salmon to replace it (hell of a lot cheaper!)). I've never seen a parasite in tuna and I've eaten hundreds of euros worth of tuna the past month.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk