Author Topic: What to drink if there's no raw milk?  (Read 14596 times)

Offline ontheroadnyc

• Forager
    • View Profile
What to drink if there's no raw milk?
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:26:15 am »
Hey AP Primal Dieters,

I have a question.  If I'm away from home and I don't have access to my raw milk, what's the next best substitute....or lesser of evils to have that milk-like experience.  Please pick from the below choices.

1) Organic Pasturized Milk?
2) Rice Milk?
3) Soy Milk?
4) Almond Milk?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: What to drink if there's no raw milk?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:04 am »
from your list, I'd probably make my own almond milk.

Soy and pasteurized definitely out, though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:49:54 am by Ioanna »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:12:14 am »
And if I lived somewhere like GS, I'd make coconut milk :D

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:44:30 am »

None of the options you provided sound good to me. I'd drink clean water or vegetable juices.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 04:57:43 pm »
AP Primal Dieters,

I have a question.  If I'm away from home and I don't have access to my raw milk, what's the next best substitute....or lesser of evils to have that milk-like experience.  Please pick from the below choices.

2) Rice Milk?

Rice milk is very sweet or at least very starchy.  I would stay away from that.

What do you mean by AP?  Aajonus vonderPlanitz?  The other people's recommendations sound good, but rather than any clean water when needing a water AV would use & recommend any glass bottled natural sparkling mineral water.  What about biting open juicy crisp ripe organic tomatoes and sucking on them?  Cream is a great thirst quencher too, when I can get it, but I'm guessing you can't right now. How about egg smoothies or cucumbers?  Do you have or use a blender?  

Would making a kefir when you have milk help?  As kefir should stay good longer than milk.  I'm not totally great with plain milk myself, and even more so pasteurized.  People use drinks to cool.  Soured things last longer.  What about cultured whey, cultured buttermilk or yogurt?  If I'm eating enough raw cultured grass fed butter I barely need to drink.  Homemade butter-honey (8:1) can last longer unrefrigerated than many other products.  Honey can be drying, but not in this small ratio to me.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 02:58:41 am »
2) Rice Milk?
3) Soy Milk?
4) Almond Milk?

I'd say definitely home-made raw almond milk!
Rice is a grain and shouldn't be eaten, Soy is horrible for you, pasteurized milk organic or not is just dead milk (actually dead milk would be my last on the list for me because it makes me have acne, skin and digestion problems, it has no beneficial bacteria in it either).
However you can soak and sprout your almonds, if you can get some raw ones, and after being soaked their antinutrients are greatly reduced.

I just made some raw almond milk today and it was delicious and refreshing. I blended the soaked almonds with some spring water till it looks like a smoothie, then I squeezed the mix through a small sifter to get the 'milk' separated. It was delicious and frothy, a nice breakfast drink, and I bet making berry smoothies with it would be nice. I made it into 'chocolate milk' by blending the almond milk with coco powder and tiny amount of honey.

PS. and I live in Ontario where raw milk is still illegal, waaah how stupid, so thats why I end up making the almond milk.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 04:30:09 am »
People use drinks to cool.  Soured things last longer.  What about cultured whey, cultured buttermilk or yogurt?  If I'm eating enough raw cultured grass fed butter I barely need to drink.

Sour foods like lemon or (raw) yogurt are used in many cultures/places to cool/calm the palate/mouth and stomach.  Have you tried it?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:30:23 am »

What are you guys searching for? Aren’t water  and perhaps coconut water  the only paleo drinks? Is there something wrong with plain water?

Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 06:02:59 am »
What are you guys searching for? Aren’t water  and perhaps coconut water  the only paleo drinks? Is there something wrong with plain water?

The OP wanted something to replace milk...so I was thinking in terms of taste and look, almond milk is more like milk then water in that respect. But yeah its not paleo, however it's not a bad beverage when you want something more fancy then water, better then the other 3 options mentioned.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 06:06:46 am »
Why not just drink water?

I wouldn't drink any of that shit tbh
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 07:13:44 am »
Aren’t water  and perhaps coconut water  the only paleo drinks? Is there something wrong with plain water?

Francois

Hi Iguana.  The OP posted this in the primal diet section of the site.  Apparently he wants to be on the primal diet.  Primal dieters drink raw milk, raw cream, raw kefir, raw green juice, raw fertile or free range eggs, sometimes carrot or yam juice, and glass bottled sparkling water.  I've heard rumor some drink animal fluids.  I don't know that one to be true.  It's not in any primal diet books that I've seen.  Primal dieters don't drink plain water, unless they are not on the diet 100%.  They more often hydrate with raw butter and raw homemade coconut cream. or tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados etc.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 07:17:14 am »
Why not just drink water?

I wouldn't drink any of that shit tbh

It does sound to me like the OP may be talking about UHT pasteurized soy milk etc, and doesn't understand the concepts of the raw diets, but maybe he does.  I wish he'd come back and explain.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 02:14:28 pm »
   Hi Iguana. (...) Primal dieters don't drink plain water, unless they are not on the diet 100%.

I didn't know that. What's the reason not to drink plain water? AFAIK, most animals drink plain water and all our ancestors obviously did.

Cheers
Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »
I didn't know that. What's the reason not to drink plain water? AFAIK, most animals drink plain water and all our ancestors obviously did.

Cheers
Francois

:) Hm, well first, the diet is chock full of soft raw fats.  That hydrates pretty well.  Second... about a quart of fresh low carb (zucchini etc) green juice is usually drank every day.  So little carbs should be eaten too, on it, so it seems to require less water.  I think the idea also is that everything is "living" or "natural", not copying some way people ate before, but just raw and healing.  I know the slightest bit of regular lemon tasted so sweet to me when I was practicing it diligently.  The glass bottled bubbling mineral water (naturally sourced/nat.bubbling) I think may be to mimic bubbling brooks, but don't quote me on that; because I'm just coming up with that now.  Maybe it's supposed to be like you're healing and relaxing by a stream, resting.  All I know is I made incredible improvements in short time while following it all the way, I really needed it.  I tried so many other diets, and this was all that would work.

I saw something aajonus wrote once, that meat is the natural food of people.  I've seen writing of his about not having to ever give green juices to children born on the primal diet.  If he was prescribing to someone who he felt should only eat meat, no other foods, I wonder if he'd tell some of them to drink more water.  He often refers to that on the diet people don't normally need much water at all if any!  He prescribes the diet differently to many people.  From some people I hear of herbal remedies he's prescribed that I never heard anywhere before, and I'm pretty familiar with herbalism.  Almost everyone tells me he prescribes them to eat coconut cream every day.  He prescribed me no coconut cream at all.   

I assume if he knew you were going to live in nature like an animal, he would recommend a different way of doing the regimen than to someone with a grave illness involving incapacity and being indoors.   

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 07:44:48 am »
I usually just drink water, but out of all you listed.

I would choose pasteurized organic whole goat's milk.

2nd pasteurized organic whole cow's milk.

3rd would be nut milk, almond or coconut, but this would be first if raw, but i am assuming your taking about the heated ones in the store

last resort, Soy or rice milk should be avoided. But rice over soy for me.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 04:12:41 am »
it's very surprising to me how my thrust goes down after i adopted with complete paleolithic diet. like most of other members in this forum, i definitely will go with clear sun ionized water. when you raise this question, what to drink beside raw milk... i tthink i can say to drink some fresh blood. beg pardon, just thinking about the blood, my Amish farmer almost get offended by me. he ask me thousand times what i'll do with blood. but i never will touch any pasteurized milk for sure.  :)
bugs or country chickens

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

Cheers
Francois
I understand your question and it makes sense, however unless you live in a low population density area, the water available in most town/city environments has been beat to death with a number of chemicals and in a lot of cases laced with local trash like pesticide runoff, fecal matter etc. Running it through a carbon filter only adds to the mix of crap because in a carbon filter all the stuff that has been removed festers in the filter and creates a taste in the water that I cannot tolerate.

Animals drink water that is exposed to sunlight and oxygen, not trapped in copper lead, iron or plastic pipes, and forced to travel for miles at high pressure.

I used to get water from a natural spring and could drink it. I do not miss drinking water at all.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 10:03:48 pm »
Hey AP Primal Dieters,

I have a question.  If I'm away from home and I don't have access to my raw milk, what's the next best substitute....or lesser of evils to have that milk-like experience.  Please pick from the below choices.

2) Rice Milk?
3) Soy Milk?
4) Almond Milk?
I used to have big issues with Pasteurized milk and gave it up for a 2-3 year period. Then I met my Ayurvedic doctor who advised me to boil it or at least heat it somewhat and add turmeric (dry powdered), ginger (dry or grated fresh) to it to make it digestible. Worked. Will do when you have no choice. Cinnamon will also help.
Cheers
Al

Offline sanborn

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:23 pm »
I bring milk with me when it is feasible.
Also, I line up sources in the area of where I will be, using http://www.wewant2live.com/site/811618/page/2729837 Aajonus' list of producers and distributors.
We also prefer to travel by train when feasible because you can bring a lot of food with you and not get hassled or examined by x-ray.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 11:43:16 pm »
A Californian RVAFer complained to me, some time back, about Aajonus' list of producers. He said they were too expensive, among other concerns.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 03:09:49 am »
A Californian RVAFer complained to me... they were too expensive, among other concerns.

It would be a lot less expensive if it was legal to keep cows in our yards and drink the milk there.  I think one of the biggest expenses is when you have to drive several hundred miles for mile each time, or mail order it.  It's heavy.  In California it's no longer in the Whole Foods Markets, but at least it is in many other health food stores there, thanks to people like aajonus getting the 28 year ban off.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 03:16:13 am »
I don't see how raw milk can be so expensive in the US. In the UK, it is dirt-cheap by comparison to other raw foods, being commonly 1 to 2 pounds sterling for  a 2 pint bottle.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 03:33:08 am »
those producers are taking advantage of the fact that raw milk is illegal to sell in most of the states.

i think CA is one of the handful states which permits sales of raw milk.

everywhere else it is illegal to sell it, the only way to get raw milk is from Amish farms which is feasible only if you live close to them or co-ops where you buy cow shares and subsequently own milk shares as way around the law.  i personally can't stand fresh milk but i get butter from one of those co-ops.

cheese from raw milk must be aged for at least 6 months.

US is run on packaged everything, and a lot of times you see ultra-pasteurized label on many packages containing milk products.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 04:10:08 am »
The UK by contrast has no real laws re raw dairy. I think it is banned in Scotland but  freely available elsewhere.  The trouble is that the lack of regulations re raw dairy means that many, many  farmers, reportedly, lightly pasteurise their milk yet still sell it as raw milk.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:30:00 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 07:29:21 pm »
I agree Tyler that by not regulating it like pasteurized milk is they are opening up the system for abuse. We get our raw milk from someone who claims it is raw and everything is organic and no grains are used but since there is no overseer we may be being fooled and not know it. People being people and money being something that comes in handy.....

Problem is that regulations can be just as insidious, as then large financial interests can lobby governments and create the type of regulations you see now in the organic industry or the pharmaceutical industry or the food labelling industry.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk