Author Topic: Raising Livestock Yourself  (Read 32919 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Raising Livestock Yourself
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 11:07:08 am »
I share the dream of one day owning my own farm as well and making a small business out of it. I'm a recent college graduate with a crap load of student loans unfortunately, so I need to find a job that will pay them back before I can move onto a farm that has nothing to do with what I studied...though college was still definitely worth it.

I would seriously consider going in on running our own farm somewhere in the US (preferably on one of the coasts) or perhaps Canada (British Columbia)  because land is a lot cheaper. It's hard to find raw paleo eaters out there outside of this forum, thus, we need to come together and start something up. A farm dedicated to raw paleo...we can definitely make this a reality if we work on it together.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »
There is Pangaia and Kieba's body temple boot camp, both in hawaii , but they are expensive.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »
Just paid off my student debt, 10 years on...

I think there will be a 'new colonialism' of Australia when the oil,coal and gas runs out (20 years) I would like to get on board now and convince some interested parties to join myself to buy up fertile land here in OZ.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 12:51:52 am »
Just paid off my student debt, 10 years on...

I think there will be a 'new colonialism' of Australia when the oil,coal and gas runs out (20 years) I would like to get on board now and convince some interested parties to join myself to buy up fertile land here in OZ.

How is Australia weather? Don't you hate the heat?!

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 09:16:25 am »
It's a big country with many different climates but mostly it's hot.

The longer I'm RPD the more I like heat. I have a very high tolerance to heat and coldnow but love the heat. Hot summer nights when everyones out, girls are out. I open up my house and you can smell the ocean, there's a warm breeze...it's seriously invigorating and everyone seems happier.

I really don't understand you guys liking the cold...It means you have to wear heaps of clothing yuk. It's hard to get things done,you get stuck inside, you need heating, hot water, gloves, beanies.

Albert Camus

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 10:12:09 am »
Well, I would hate to live in Alaska, but I would hate to live in a place hot all year round too. I like the in between. Get a taste of everything. We have a few of months humid summer, sometimes its dry but usually before rains kick in, mostly hot and humid in summer. Winter is good, fall is amazing with the leaves. Not too mention I live close to lake Michigan. It's like being next to a mini ocean. I have yet to visit a place where I enjoy the climate more than Wisconsin.

I have been to Arizona and was in Jordan for 2 months. Jordan dry arid heat doesn't go well with me. I don't like it. I burn too without cloths. In Wisconsin the moisture in the air prevents burns to my skin. I can walk around during the hottest times of the day with no shirt and be burn free because it has moisture in the air.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 10:12:50 pm »
Hey Sully, I forgot to say thanks for posting that video link 'Look at yourself...'.  What an amazing guy!  I must confess that I watched it twice (a second time when showing my partner) and had tears in my eyes both times!!  :)  A true inspiration!

Andrew, congratulations on clearing the debt!  I know from experience how liberating removing such chains from one's neck can be!

Tyler, I really like the look of that Pangaia place.  Perhaps it's the raw veggie still in me!!  :)  It would be amazing to have a similar kind of setup but based around paleo principles.

Climate wise, I'm with you Sully.  Contrasting seasons such as we have here in England keep things interesting and, as many countries around the world have demonstrated in recent years, extreme climate conditions can have devastating consequences!
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 10:59:04 pm »

Tyler, I really like the look of that Pangaia place.  Perhaps it's the raw veggie still in me!!  :)  It would be amazing to have a similar kind of setup but based around paleo principles.

The Pangaia place is mainly raw-vegan-oriented, but, amazingly enough, they do, apparently, cater for raw animal foodists, it's just that you have to book in advance, mentioning your situation. There's also Kieba's raw food Body Temple in Hawaii, which caters for anyone on RVAF diets, whether the primal diet or raw, zero-carb etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 06:19:08 am »
The Pangaia place is mainly raw-vegan-oriented, but, amazingly enough, they do, apparently, cater for raw animal foodists

Really?!  I wonder how that would work?  I don't expect I'll ever visit but I do like the setup and would like to emulate it on a paleo scale.  I didn't like the look of the other place.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we start seeing a few similar communities springing up around the world catering specifically to the paleo lifestyle.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 06:12:33 pm »
Oh, here is a promotional youtube video of the body temple boot camp:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2BStME9bQ

Here's part 1 of 5 about the raw food lifestyle at Pangaia:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ILZfJrOx0

Haven't seen the whole video, I presume they focus only on raw plant foods in the video as it is a mainly raw vegan camp nowadays.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 07:09:58 pm »
Kieba spends half the video talking about eating raw meat/eggs.

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 07:32:41 pm »
Kieba spends half the video talking about eating raw meat/eggs.
I was talking about the 2nd video which started off talking about raw vegan diets.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:52:04 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:55 pm »
Thanks for the video links Tyler.  That's confirmed my lack of interest in Kieba's Boot Camp!!  :)  Incidentally, I seem to recall seeing a picture of her somewhere on the internet sitting on Aajonus' lap.  I think she's into the whole Primal Diet thing.

I'll watch the Pangaia videos when I get a moment.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2010, 02:24:24 am »
Caotue and I have been talking about starting up a farm quite a bit lately. We kind of decided a good place would be near the great lakes.
We need some more people.
Let me know anybody. ;) send me a pm

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2010, 03:04:38 am »
Caotue and I have been talking about starting up a farm quite a bit lately. We kind of decided a good place would be near the great lakes.
We need some more people.
Let me know anybody. ;) send me a pm
why not in new york? our international friends also can donate something to build up or purchase and when they'll visit USA, they will live in that land to enjoy hunthing.  l)
my husband is a well established and successful person in Wall St. it's out of my hand to ask him to move out from New York.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 03:46:48 am »
why not in new york? our international friends also can donate something to build up or purchase and when they'll visit USA, they will live in that land to enjoy hunthing.  l)
my husband is a well established and successful person in Wall St. it's out of my hand to ask him to move out from New York.
i wouldn't mind new york state, i think, i dislike chicago, so i think i would hate new york city,

so you live in the city or state?, does your husband eat raw?

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2010, 03:47:33 am »
Well I'm from northern NJ area and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to NY myself. But in the end, I'm open.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 08:37:23 am »
I'm in NY.
I can also give a lot of guidance if/when you guys looks for land up this way. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2010, 09:25:46 am »
I'm referring the place in new york state. Recently I've purchased a property in new york state (I also own a home in Brooklyn, NY and in new  jersey). I lived in Georgia in my past. but, new york is the best. city has it's own charm and it is very diverse. When you live in new york country, it's beautiful (especially the land is so fertile and so much wild lives existed). I can arrange to buy 75 acres of plain land with creek, old apple orchard and plenty of wild berries, frogs, wild turkeys, rabbits...etc and another 22 acres extra land next to my country home. it's less than 80 miles from new york city. Total of 97 acres of completely rural land. I also can get a better deal, 'cause these lands belong to the same farmer family who sold me the house.  My husband does eat raw meat often, but he follows cooked paleo diet. My child is 100% raw paleo. I'll Post some pictures and I will look for more properties like that. If we all contributes some (locally and internationally), we can definitely make anything possible.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 02:41:03 pm »
I'm referring the place in new york state. Recently I've purchased a property in new york state (I also own a home in Brooklyn, NY and in new  jersey). I lived in Georgia in my past. but, new york is the best. city has it's own charm and it is very diverse. When you live in new york country, it's beautiful (especially the land is so fertile and so much wild lives existed). I can arrange to buy 75 acres of plain land with creek, old apple orchard and plenty of wild berries, frogs, wild turkeys, rabbits...etc and another 22 acres extra land next to my country home. it's less than 80 miles from new york city. Total of 97 acres of completely rural land. I also can get a better deal, 'cause these lands belong to the same farmer family who sold me the house.  My husband does eat raw meat often, but he follows cooked paleo diet. My child is 100% raw paleo. I'll Post some pictures and I will look for more properties like that. If we all contributes some (locally and internationally), we can definitely make anything possible.

I'm down for NY state... New York country sounds amazing. (If I didn't relocate, I would visit at least.) Funny enough, I don't consider myself a city girl, but I lived in Spanish Harlem for a spell last year and was surprised to discover that I was actually loving NYC.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 02:47:13 pm »

How did you come to be so wealthy?

Albert Camus

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2010, 02:36:11 am »
Wow, yeah, you must be rich. I am poor, but am knowledgeable. That's all I would have to offer for now, is my intelligence and ability to work hard.

Only thing in my way now is, I have an application for University of Milwaukee Wisconsin being reviewed.(I am going for a tour on Tuesday) If I don't get accepted I will prob go to a 2 year college. I will find out what's going to happen within the next 2 weeks.

I would relocate, but I am poor. I buy food with digital foods stamps... So I think it would be wise for me to get some kind of degree.

But that's my current situation.

Offline BakeyMan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
    • Eternal Tortoise
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 09:59:57 am »
 I'm in NY.  I've been dreaming of farm life/communal living as well.  I know there's plenty of cheap land in PA.  Would you guys be interested in growing native fruit trees and shrubs on the farm?  They take little to no effort because they're suited to the area and they are way more nutritional than domesticated varieties.  Plus it'll help support local ecosystems.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 10:48:10 am »
I'm in NY.  I've been dreaming of farm life/communal living as well.  I know there's plenty of cheap land in PA.  Would you guys be interested in growing native fruit trees and shrubs on the farm?  They take little to no effort because they're suited to the area and they are way more nutritional than domesticated varieties.  Plus it'll help support local ecosystems.

I think it'd be a great idea to plant/relocate some native fruit trees/shrubbery.

BTW, I just saw you're in Orange County. Whereabouts? I live in Putnam County but work up in Dutchess County (Beacon). :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline BakeyMan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
    • Eternal Tortoise
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 01:13:18 pm »
yeah I have six raspberry bushes growing like crazy in my backyard.

awesome, my brother and I want to meet fellow paleo's as we're only a month into eating raw meat and feel a bit at odds with the rest of society.  I live in Monroe, about an hour away from the city.  this is getting off topic haha but could you recommend some good farms in the area that sell bulk?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk