Author Topic: Which way to go when having to compromise  (Read 9070 times)

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Which way to go when having to compromise
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:06:43 am »
Imagine you are traveling suddenly, or stuck at a work function where food is served, which would you rather eat:

1. Salads, including cheese and bottled dressings
2. Cooked Meats, including deli meats
3. A combination of the above

And while on the road, would you rather have:
1. Some jerky and nuts and cheese
2. Some salad with bottled dressing

I was faced with a need to compromise my diet and was unsure the best way to break from my eating plan.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Which way to go when having to compromise
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:44:05 am »
I will gladly eat salads + extra virgin olive oil.
I will eat some cooked meat - choose the least condiments but not deli meat.
Depends on how I feel.
I would take pains the bring raw meat with me on trips.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 12:54:30 pm »
I don't compromise and rather miss a meal if necessary.

Cheers
Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 01:14:16 pm »

Cheers
Francois

This is the best idea.
Yon Yonson is with me right now and I've been doing my healing powers on him right now because he got sick from eating roast pig in some other province.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:21:51 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:40:53 pm »
I would often skip a meal. In other situations, my compromises are these:-

a) Avoid the food and go only for a little alcohol(either transparent spirits or real ale, if available). The real ale is full of live bacteria and is almost rawpalaeo, except for the gluten issues.

b) Go for cooked lean meats if only highly processed junk food is otherwise available - sushi is a way out, too, for me. If raw plant foods are available, I would go for them instead if they were salads or fruits. Where I go, those raw salads have sauces only as extras so I just choose the least processed-looking  sauces to dsiguise the lack of taste of the lettuce leaves.

I( avoid raw or pasteurised dairy like the plague.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:33:23 am »
i eat once a day. so, if i go out for entire day long, i eat my raw meat right before i go out. rest of the day i eat frest fruits. if i really miss those cooked junk food (not because i'm hungry), than probably beef jerkey or any cooked meat or fish. if i go out for couple of days, than i carry my own raw meat and eat them my suitable time when no one sees me. my toddler eats his raw meat in the public park, restaurents, st...etc. you can imagine, 'cause i blend the entire meat and organs and fats and no one can predict what i'm feeding him. he only eats twice a day (morning and evening). between these meals, he might eat, freshly squeezed orange juice with water, fresh dandelions or other wild green leaves juice (once a week or twice), half banana and freshly picked apples from the trees...etc. the bottom line is, i don't like to compromise  over my paleolithic diet. ;)
bugs or country chickens

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:24:27 pm »
if you feel actual hunger more often than 24-36 hours after your last previous meal, it is a sign that you aren't getting enough animal-fat in your diet.

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:06:56 pm »
if you feel actual hunger more often than 24-36 hours after your last previous meal, it is a sign that you aren't getting enough animal-fat in your diet.

Interesting. I get 150-200 grams of pure, raw animal daily and still have some issues with needing to eat every 5 hours.

I, however, have candidiasis, insulin/glucose metabolism problems and some other issues involving the liver and such.

If I eat too much protein, regardless of fat intake, I get too much insulin in the system and consequently hypoglycemia around 5 hours later. Not near as bad as before on the SAD diet, but I still feel shaky.

I guess for people with normal organ function it's different. I hope I can resent my organs and get them functioning properly again.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 03:17:36 am »
Couldn't you stop at a store and pick up some raw organic meat to bring with you in a glass jar?

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 08:26:33 am »
Well, in one case I could have brought my own food to the 2 day meeting, but it would have been a little too weird. In this 2 day meeting, all meals were provided, they were long days, and I am just transitionaing, so I am not yet getting the animal fat figured out fully. Anyway, I was stuck at meals with some of the most influential people working in my field, and not interested in burning professional bridges. My everyday co-workers know I'm a little outside the norm (they all are in their own way) but this was one setting that I felt strong social pressure to eat with the guests and not be the weirdo.

The funny part was, one of the guest complained about the "health food" that was being served, and I was appauled at having to pick from the available choices to eat.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 01:39:11 am »
I am going on a two day business trip where I will be taken out to nice restaurants, I think it will be easy to compromise (=

If I go to sushi place then I'll order big sashimi plate, if I go to a steak place I'll order a very rare steak (almost as good as raw) and a salad on the side without dressing, and there's always the option of oysters or steak tartare! There are many healthy options in nice restaurants, and I don't think on business trips people go to junky places anyway, that'll just be weird!

I think bottled dressings are horrible to eat and rather then that I'll ask them to just give me simple mayo on the side or olive oil and balsamic. Actually I'd rather order a baked potato and butter then the bottled dressing or processed meats, that sounds way better.

Also I'd never not order anything because I'd find it depressing to sit there and eat nothing while everyone else eats, to me paleo is supposed to be an enjoyable part of life not a religion. And if you can't make it enjoyable or handle a little cooked food ONCE in a while then its pointless. Actually I find that great that once in a while I can still enjoy a healthy cooked meal and NOT have to compromise.

What would happen if a caveman found a plate with a grilled steak and baked potato once a month? He would gobble it up and have a great big smile on his face that's what, lol (and I don't think that will make him sick in any way whatsoever), hell sitting at a computer is worse then eating a cooked meal once in a while.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 02:01:17 am »
I wouldn't sweat it yuli.  I'd say you're spot on with your comments!  I'm sure you'll find something satisfactory to eat particularly when, as you say, it will probably be at a high-class restaurant.

Life is about compromise and I think we need to be careful that we don't turn our dietary choices into life-restricting religious doctrine.  The potential resultant stress and unhappiness this may cause would likely cause far greater harm to our bodies than an occasional immune system boosting restaurant meal.

We can, of course, be highly selective of the restaurant (when possible), the food and drink we consume when eating out.  When I eat out with my partner, friends or family I usually opt for similar choices - bleu steak, salad, steamed green veg, basic dressings/sauces (if any) such as bernaise.

If I'm out for a full day or a few days I usually take enough RPD supplies with me.  If I'm eating at a close friend's house, I also usually take my own food.  They're totally accepting of this as it's about the social communion not the food itself.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 03:04:49 am »
I agree, I wasn't trying to freak out just saying that raw-paleo should make us strong enough to handle some cooked food once in a while no :P

And I too believe its beneficial to 'stress' your system once in a while. After all we live in a stressful environment so we have to be ready, not weak and overly accustomed to our pure ways.

Also I don't wan't to be like the crazy meat-eating version of durianrider, I want people to accept the paleo diet is the best and ultimate one for a human being, and to do that we have to make it look appealing to people, make it look do-able and enjoyable. Then they will be like oh this girl looks good AND she's not crazy AND she can really enjoy her time in a restaurant MAYBE I should try this thing (=

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 03:28:52 am »
Quite right yuli. 

I don't want to be like the crazy meat-eating version of durianrider

ha ha  :)  Brilliant!  You appear to have a healthy and balanced approach to adopting these ways of eating which, I think, will see you succeed eating RPD as well as setting an illuminating example of what it means to eat RPD style in the modern world! 
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 04:14:03 am »
I agree, I wasn't trying to freak out just saying that raw-paleo should make us strong enough to handle some cooked food once in a while no :P

That is my goal, but right now, I am coming to raw paleo with a long history of unwellness. I am trying to maximize my healing, and just looking for some advice on better choices. Dinner was easy at day one of that 2 day meeting. 2 lobsters and 2 plateloads of steamed clams and mussles. Skip the potato and corn. Breakfast and lunch were tougher. Though I agree with not wanting to be a DR-like zealot, I also want to recover form my poor health as rapidly as possible.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 06:38:25 am »
If you want to stick to 100% raw paleo to recover from poor health, you can always say one of the following:

1. I'm not hungry/I have an upset stomach/I don't feel well
2. I'm on a strict diet for medical reasons

Number 2 is probably the best. No one's going to argue with it. People might ask "are you diabetic?", so just reply "it's more complicated than that, and I don't want to talk about it".

Personally, I can eat certain kinds of cooked food with no short-term ill effects. But anything with grain, veg oil, or alcohol makes me feel awful, and I refuse to eat it under any circumstances.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 07:18:00 am »

Cheers
Francois

I never eat off plan either. I eat Zero Carb for life, that's it. Just IF.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 07:20:03 am »
Cooked meat, raw meat--if it is meat, it is good. As long as it is plain cooked meat, I'll eat tons and not touch anything else.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 11:37:41 am »
Imagine you are traveling suddenly, or stuck at a work function where food is served, which would you rather eat:

1. Salads, including cheese and bottled dressings
2. Cooked Meats, including deli meats
3. A combination of the above

It all depends.  It might be better if I skip a meal, or eat some raw eggs.  Pasteurized cheese is really a no-go.  Bottled dressings couldn't interest me in the least, unless maybe if they're raw from the refri section.  Maybe something like plain cooked ox-tail stew might work, but grass-fed and not spiced up.  I couldn't go for much of it, that's for sure.  I wouldn't combine your choices 1 and 2 there either. 

And while on the road, would you rather have:
1. Some jerky and nuts and cheese
2. Some salad with bottled dressing

I was faced with a need to compromise my diet and was unsure the best way to break from my eating plan.

No jerky.  None of that cheese, unless I brought it from home in a cooler.  Maybe raw nuts with some raw eggs.  Vegetables maybe, but squeeze a lemon on it, maybe add some unheated honey.  I guess I could bring a blender stick or a magic bullet to make dressing, but vegan stuff doesn't work for me. 

Why not just fruit?  Avocados and tomatoes?  Or better yet a bottle of high-meat?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 09:27:20 am »
I have a cooler that I bring with me and throw in the baggage compartment. It is soft sided, has a carry strap and hard plastic interior to keep it's shape. 12" x 10" 12" high inside. I put my 2 litre milk jar, cream, eggs, butter, meat, honey cheese etc in there and throw in some ice and voila. Most hotels have a fridge/kitchenette. I try to eat raw when possible, but it not a religion. Some citys we go to have a Whole Foods to get a bit of variety.

But how can you say no to the boss's offer of an incredible steak @ Morton's in Houston. MiGawd that was good! Mushrooms were awesome.

I don't drink normally  ;) but with the guys I work with it's anti-social not to.
Cheers
Al

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 10:04:26 am »

Cheers
Francois

ditto!

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 01:57:55 pm »
This is why I want pemmican...to keep a meal in my bag, desk wherever in case I need it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk