Author Topic: A day in the life of TylerDurden  (Read 369294 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: A day in the life of TylerDurden
« Reply #675 on: February 27, 2011, 02:12:25 am »
I don't buy into the notion that wild animals are somehow immune to disease, given reports re pandemics in the wild. I am sure that they can be affected, but I doubt that they are as easily affected as SAD-eating humans as regards minor things like colds. I mean, prior to going rawpalaeo, I would get colds/flus all the time as my immune-system was destroyed at the time, but only got that 1 flu 4 years into the diet and this 1 cold/sore-throat - well, that is, I also got minor flu-like symptoms every 2-4 months for the first 2-3  years of going rawpalaeo, but these were not full-blown cases of flu(just 1 or 2 of the usual flu symptoms but with the symptoms being much weaker than normal flu) - so I view the latter as just detox as I felt better afterwards than before the episode.

It is always possible, of course, that I might not have got even the 1 cold/sore-throat and 1 flu in those 7 years if I had had regularly practised exercise quite as frequently as FTH presumably has, as exercise boosts the immune-system. But I don't think the tiny amounts of non-rawpalaeo foods I've eaten in recent times can have initiated the cold/sore-throat as a detox, as I would expect that cold to occur within a day of eating such cooked foods, as I get such a detox reaction sometimes after eating cooked food.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 27, 2011, 03:06:15 am »
I don't buy into the notion that wild animals are somehow immune to disease, given reports re pandemics in the wild.

Yes, but isn't it when the natural equilibrium has been destroyed? 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #677 on: March 01, 2011, 06:13:46 am »
Currently, I am eating raw wild (prefrozen)hare blood(no accompanying raw hare flesh) and some  raw deer " stewing steak", along with the occasional raw tomato or raw orange. I should make clear that I think that the supposed differences between  the very expensive "fillet-steak" and lesser cuts of meat like the very cheap "stewing-steak" are absolutely irrelevant, especially when they are both
 raw.   Indeed, stewing steak and the like seem to have more raw fat in them than raw fillet steak, suggesting they are more beneficial for human health.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 04, 2011, 08:19:33 am »
Yes, but isn't it when the natural equilibrium has been destroyed?  
What about their "natural equilibrium" was destroyed and how?

This video says that when white men brought their dog breeds with them to the Arctic, the dogs brought diseases with them that the indigenous huskies did not have immune resistance to and the infections wiped out many of the huskies: http://www.factualtv.com/documentary/Natural-Kingdom-Collection-Dog-of-the-Midnight-Sun

Thousands of years of living with Inuit did not cause such a pandemic among the huskies, but contact with outside breeds of dogs from the modern world rapidly did.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 06, 2011, 05:32:01 am »
Human pressure often confine wild animals in area where they become unable to find their normal food or pollute their environment with waste or cooked residues. Else the natural equilibrium is broken because predators are eliminated and a specie proliferates to the point it cannot find enough appropriate food.

I didn’t watch the whole video, it’s too long and time consuming, but either it’s an exception or it’s because the white men brought cooked food along with their dogs and fed them cooked junk. Dogs are found of the shit of other dogs, so the huskies could have got sick from the damaged molecules in cooked junk fed to the white men dogs and found in their excrements. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 06, 2011, 09:32:49 am »
Human pressure often confine wild animals in area where they become unable to find their normal food or pollute their environment with waste or cooked residues. Else the natural equilibrium is broken because predators are eliminated and a specie proliferates to the point it cannot find enough appropriate food.
Do you have evidence that indicates that all harmful infections in wild animals are due to habitat impingement or pollution or are you guessing?

I didn’t watch the whole video, it’s too long and time consuming, but either it’s an exception or it’s because the white men brought cooked food along with their dogs and fed them cooked junk.
How do you know this without even watching the video?

Dogs are found of the shit of other dogs, so the huskies could have got sick from the damaged molecules in cooked junk fed to the white men dogs and found in their excrements. 
And space aliens could have injected the huskies with poisons. Anything is possible, which is why we look to evidence to help determine what is mere fantasy.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #681 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:43 am »
Well, I have learnt something new today - I absolutely loathe the taste of pure, raw blood which has been left in the fridge for more than 5 days, especially if it has been prefrozen.

I am still working on an essay on heat-created toxins etc./harm done by cooking. Trouble is, I am having problems in getting various articles/testimonials etc. easily  visible on rawpaleodiet.com under  headlines. May have to get GS's help on this, eventually.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 08, 2011, 06:13:57 am »
Do you have evidence that indicates that all harmful infections in wild animals are due to habitat impingement or pollution or are you guessing?
How do you know this without even watching the video?
And space aliens could have injected the huskies with poisons. Anything is possible, which is why we look to evidence to help determine what is mere fantasy.

I don’t have to provide such evidence because I wrote “either it’s an exception or (…)”, meaning that the culprit could be another cause than what they assert. It’s rather to those pretending “that when white men brought their dog breeds with them to the Arctic, the dogs brought diseases with them that the indigenous huskies did not have immune resistance (…)” to prove their assertion and that it was not due for example to the noxious molecules in cooked food the white men likely brought also with them and fed their dogs. The researcher are never aware of the problems induced by cooked and modern food, so they don’t pay attention to this being possibly a cause of disease. They leave their cooked leftover at the reach of the wild animals they observe and if those animals get sick, they conclude that diseases are present even in the most preserved wilderness.  

We already talked about the case of Tasmanian devils here and in next posts.

Perhaps we should move this discussion in a new specific thread.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 08, 2011, 06:38:47 am »
I don’t have to provide such evidence because I wrote “either it’s an exception or (…)”, meaning that the culprit could be another cause than what they assert.
Yes, I was just curious if you had evidence or were just sharing a guess. I like guessing myself, but I also like evidence.

It’s rather to those pretending “that when white men brought their dog breeds with them to the Arctic, the dogs brought diseases with them that the indigenous huskies did not have immune resistance (…)” to prove their assertion and that it was not due for example to the noxious molecules in cooked food the white men likely brought also with them and fed their dogs.
Actually, their view is the consensus view, so the scientific community would likely say that it is up to you (or someone) to provide counter evidence to the existing germ theory of infectious disease. Perhaps there could be some truth on both sides, with germs playing a role in infection and disease and diet and lifestyle also playing a role--perhaps a much larger role?

The researcher are never aware of the problems induced by cooked and modern food, so they don’t pay attention to this being possibly a cause of disease.
Yes, I know. One term I use for it is "modern foods syndrome."

They leave their cooked leftover at the reach of the wild animals they observe and if those animals get sick, they conclude that diseases are present even in the most preserved wilderness.
Again, they would ask you for evidence.

We already talked about the case of Tasmanian devils here and in next posts.

Perhaps we should move this discussion in a new specific thread.

Yes, I already know that civilization can cause diseases in wild animals, but you've apparently gone beyond that, claiming that infection is never the primary cause in so-called "infectious" illnesses like the alleged pandemic of smallpox that allegedly wiped out many Native Americans, yes? Aajonus has been making this claim for years, but I haven't seen anyone in the scientific community take it seriously yet. They're not going to do so just because someone claims it's so. They will require evidence, and, rightly or wrongly, it'll likely take some pretty astounding and overwhelming evidence to cause such a paradigm shift.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #684 on: March 09, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »
Well, I finally got my raw wild moufflon, which I will taste in about 4 or 5 days  time from now. I have always thought that it was a very big mistake for some RVAFers to only eat a limited variety of foods, however grassfed they might be etc. In pre-cooking-palaeo times, HGs would eat a huge variety of raw foods and I have found that emulating them as much as I can re variety makes me healthier(more full of energy etc.) than when I limit my diet to just raw grassfed muscle-meat and a few raw grassfed organs and raw organic fruits, say. Adding in raw seafood or different raw wild game from the usual etc. all helps.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #685 on: March 09, 2011, 10:25:05 pm »
Just heard some details about a relative of mine. He, as usual, has stomach-trouble(mostly psychological, admittedly), but both his sons and his wife currently have the same issues, and one of his sons has been ill(flu or something) for 10 days. His wife is a frequent smoker, which is why both sons have asthma  like their father had, and she has always fed them on a diet consisting mostly of  McDonald's meals.  While my own issues got started by consuming dairy, whether raw or pasteurised as opposed to consuming junk-food diets, I'm grateful that I was raised on a mostly-cooked semi-weston-price-style diet, as things could have been even worse for me, otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:33:57 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #686 on: March 10, 2011, 06:03:52 am »
I find I often like the enhanced mental clarity/concentration I get on days when I eat only or almost wholly raw meats, especially raw wild game. Trouble is if I go RZC for long enough, my physical performance suffers after a few days, and eventually(after 3 weeks) I start getting really nasty problems like dehydration etc. no matter how much water I drink and so on. I suppose I could do carb-loading where I eat only raw meats for 3 or 4 days and eat rather more raw carbs than usual on the other 3 or 4 days of the week.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #687 on: April 03, 2011, 07:47:30 pm »
I've taken to wearing a magnet around my wrist since it was no longer being used by someone else. I have no need for such a thing, nor do I actually think it's likely to work, but I figure it might have a positive placebo-like effect on me, over time. Whatever the case, I am sure that wearing a magnet won't harm me.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 03, 2011, 08:04:48 pm »
I've taken to wearing a magnet around my wrist since it was no longer being used by someone else. I have no need for such a thing, nor do I actually think it's likely to work, but I figure it might have a positive placebo-like effect on me, over time. Whatever the case, I am sure that wearing a magnet won't harm me.

Do you have need for a placebo effect?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #689 on: April 04, 2011, 01:25:05 am »
Do you have need for a placebo effect?
  I used to be a real fan of self-improvement as I found it worked for me in 3 or 4 different ways. I am now going in for a second drive/effort, and am just curious to see if magnets etc. have a further effect. But, no, I don't really "need" a placebo effect as such.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: April 04, 2011, 03:50:58 am »
I worked in a health food/supplement/herb/etc. store for a while and magnets were quite possibly the worst selling item. They gathered dust.

Since you asked for feedback on what's in the articles at www.rawpaleodiet.com, below are some thoughts. They are just suggestions. I don't want to debate them, so feel free to use them or not. Dealer's choice.

"The Raw Paleolithic Diet & Lifestyle!" (http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/) page:

For me the key feature of raw Paleo is more than "a more historically natural approach," it's a biologically appropriate approach, or at least aims to be as best as can be managed with today's foods. Biological appropriateness was the fundamental element of Boyd Eaton's 1986 hypothesis of Paleolithic nutrition that started the Paleo diet movement (Voegtlin's earlier work was not influential enough to start the movement). Basing it only on what's "historically natural" lends itself too easily to the errors of blind emulation and re-enactment and woo like Natural Hygiene.

Wai Genriuu (actually spelled Genriiu) is not a real name. It is the Internet pseudonym of Thijs Klompmaker. Klompmaker has revealed his real name online (http://www.thijsklompmaker.com/interview.htm) so I would include that with the pseudonym as a lot of people apparently wrongly assume that Wai Genriuu is some mystical Asian female or something.

---*---

"Lex Rooker, USA" page (http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/lex-rooker-usa):

There are spam comments. I would require some sort of verification of comments, such as having the commenter type in the characters of an image of text (a common technique on other blogs) or requiring moderator verification. The latter should be manageable, since the comments are few. You could also advise people with questions to seek answers at the forum rather than in the comments sections of the testimonial articles.

---*---

The "Nutrition" (http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/nutrition/) page:

I would add Denise Minger to the list of raw animal food gurus.

Some of the views at http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/nutrition/ are controversial both within the raw Paleo diet community as well as the broader Paleo diet community. For example, this one:

"Legumes are forbidden as well, due to their high antinutrient-levels – and starchy tubers as well."

Some legume tubers and fruit seeds like jicama, yacon, long yam and wild African groundnut are edible raw and therefore "Paleo" by Ray Audette's definition of attainable and edible with nothing but a sharp stick, and are acceptable by the Instincto definition (though Instincto is not completely "Paleo"), though most of them are not African or Eurasian species. Plus, groundnut legume fruit pod seeds are consumed by African hunter gatherers and some anthropologists believe they were consumed as far back as the Australopithecines. Not a lot of research has been done on Stone Age tubers and legumes, so I would think that some of these foods would at least be in a gray undetermined zone rather than completely decided one way or the other. See also the writings of cooked Paleo/ancestral gurus Don Matesz, Stephan Guyenet, Kurt Harris and Richard Nikoley for arguments and evidence for considering some starchy tubers as "Paleo"/ancestral (they advocate for cooked tubers, but that's not a problem, as some tubers are edible raw). You could add some sort of caveat, like "There is evidence of consumption of certain legumes and tubers (edible raw) in the Stone Age and by current hunter gatherers, so all cannot be completely ruled out from being considered Paleo at this time. The modern forms of legumes and tubers and the processing techniques used tend to be quite different than those of the Stone Age and hunter-gatherers, so caution should be used with these foods and those inedible raw are avoided on the raw Paleo diet."

One confusing aspect of the anthropological research is that the tubers of legumes are consumed by hunter gatherers like the Hadza. So do we classify them as legumes or tubers or legume-tubers?

It looks like there are typo errors here:

"which is misleading.other raf diets"

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #691 on: April 04, 2011, 06:48:54 am »
This should really have been put in the suggestions box in the relevant thread. That said, I am very grateful for your contributions as you, GS and I seem to be the only 3 really interested in contributing to the raw, palaeolithic diet community in a sizeable way.

Re your points:-

Satya was the one who tried to "reword" much of what I meant to say. I may eventually get round to  rephrasing much of the text, to make it more in line with what you mean.

I don't think it's that important who or what Wai Genriuu really is, as Aajonus himself has his own made-up name.

GS is reorganising the site, right now. I will, after that, get rid of any useless comments and only add in helpful ones.

I will add a few more raw gurus like Carol Alt or Denise Minger etc. at some stage.

The issue of legumes is non-palaeo. Sure, some people feel that legumes are OK in certain circumstances, but most find them a waste of time either due to personal experience or due to ideology.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 04, 2011, 07:26:47 am »
I don't think it's that important who or what Wai Genriuu really is, as Aajonus himself has his own made-up name.
Yeah, it's not a big deal, but since there is some confusion over it (even at the Wai forum itself, ironically), it might be useful to have clarification of it somewhere on the Internet that you could point to when folks have misunderstandings over it, as has happened at this forum, with Wai being referred to as a "she" and various views being attributed to him that he did not espouse and others that he does espouse being denied, etc. Plus it would fit in with your philosophy of not making gods of gurus to reveal who the real human being behind the Wai persona is. Just a thought.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #693 on: April 05, 2011, 01:44:52 pm »
I've just had a surprise e-mail from my brother actually asking me about my diet and what sort of choices there are within the diet. Up till now, he has made some vague choices re health(he likes eating lots of sushi, not high-grade sushi like you find in Japanese restaurants, but the kind you find in Yo Sushi chains, not great but not filled with too many preservatives/chemicals - he's also a fan of raw, freshly squeezed fruit-juices). I doubt he is all that interested in my diet, given past comments, but I think he wants to make his own diet a little healthier.

Anyway, 2 of his questions revolve around the notion of doing an allergy-test, and the issue of taking artificial hormones. I'm going to tell him both are largely useless as notions, as I have heard that allergy-tests have failed to detect allergies in some people, like coeliacs due to some of them not having antibodies for various reasons, plus hormones like steroids cause things like reduced testicle size etc. If anyone has heard the contrary, feel free to mention such.

" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 06, 2011, 05:51:13 am »
....Anyway, 2 of his questions revolve around the notion of doing an allergy-test, and the issue of taking artificial hormones. I'm going to tell him both are largely useless as notions, as I have heard that allergy-tests have failed to detect allergies in some people, like coeliacs due to some of them not having antibodies for various reasons, plus hormones like steroids cause things like reduced testicle size etc. If anyone has heard the contrary, feel free to mention such.

I had a comprehensive antibody test done and it was of only minor to moderate utility. The main benefit it provided was that it showed that my immune system generates antibodies to a LOT of foods, so it's probably good for me to mix it up some and not eat the same foods every day over the long term (on the other hand, a strict and detailed rotation diet indicated by the tests didn't provide any noticeable benefits for me, so rotating foods seems to be of only minor benefit for me, if any). As for specific foods, the levels of antibodies only correlated partially to which foods generate negative symptoms for me and which are beneficial (for example, it only showed moderate antibodies to wheat proteins, but that's probably because I hadn't eaten any in years, as wheat has the most negative effects on me of any food), so I think your skepticism is reasonable and I wouldn't treat antibody tests like gospel on each individual food. Other people have also told me that the tests didn't correlate exactly with which foods they fare best on. I do think that they have some general validity though, as my father has far less symptoms than me and his antibody levels correlated well with that--much lower overall than mine. Mine were so high across so many foods that the receptionist called me and told me "You'd better get in here!" LOL

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #695 on: April 17, 2011, 11:24:53 pm »
I've just been walking through a sparsely forested area, sort of open woodland, and have been gorging myself on raw garlic leaves. There were acres upon acres of the stuff. 
" Ron Paul.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #696 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:29 am »
I've just been walking through a sparsely forested area, sort of open woodland, and have been gorging myself on raw garlic leaves. There were acres upon acres of the stuff. 

Do they spray pesticides in that area?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #697 on: April 18, 2011, 03:58:09 pm »
Do they spray pesticides in that area?
There are some fields within a few km, but, no, they don't spray pesticides anywhere near the garlic.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #698 on: April 19, 2011, 06:46:37 am »
There are some fields within a few km, but, no, they don't spray pesticides anywhere near the garlic.

Awesome and yum, I hope I stumble upon a foresty/woody area to go foraging soon!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #699 on: April 21, 2011, 08:06:15 pm »
I'm going to try Lex's instructions in June and will make lots of  raw horsemeat jerky.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk