Author Topic: Salmonella food poisoning  (Read 38383 times)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Salmonella food poisoning
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 07:34:00 am »
Any probiotics will do you good now, even Balkan yogurt or true Kefir (natural one from the health store) - I find the kefir very powerful. Maybe eat some of that with the butter and natural sauerkraut if you can get it.
PS. I got salmonella from eating too many raw factory eggs once but I found it passed in less then a day and I was fine after, maybe it depends on the dose you get...I am sure you'll be ok, just don't eat raw eggs and especially pizzas for a little while now.
Also I don't know how often you eat raw meat but maybe the pizza didn't affect your dad because its what he's used to eating and your tummy got used to the raw meat and then you put pizza in it  :P

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 07:46:32 am »
When I got my case of salmonella, I drank a teaspoon of cold pressed apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.  The first dose stopped my diarrhea immediately, and after a couple doses take a couple hours apart my stomach and intestines felt calm enough to try eating.  After a day I was eating normally again, and after three days I stopped taking the vinegar water and the salmonella never came back.

I'd recommend this if the diarrhea is still a problem for you.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 05:27:26 pm »
Any probiotics will do you good now, even Balkan yogurt or true Kefir (natural one from the health store) - I find the kefir very powerful. Maybe eat some of that with the butter and natural sauerkraut if you can get it.
PS. I got salmonella from eating too many raw factory eggs once but I found it passed in less then a day and I was fine after, maybe it depends on the dose you get...I am sure you'll be ok, just don't eat raw eggs and especially pizzas for a little while now.
Also I don't know how often you eat raw meat but maybe the pizza didn't affect your dad because its what he's used to eating and your tummy got used to the raw meat and then you put pizza in it  :P

Well, the only yogurt and kefir i can find are pasteurized, so I don't think that will help at all, probably only make things worse.  =\  I haven't been eating factory eggs, I've been eating organic free-range eggs.. And I STILL have diarrhea.  I'm definitely not eating any eggs or pizza though.  I was eating raw meat nearly everyday, but my stomach has never had problems before, and I don't see how just not being used to pizza would give me diarrhea for four days.  Plus I had eaten some pizza (from the same pizza) normally the day before and felt perfectly fine.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 05:30:53 pm »
When I got my case of salmonella, I drank a teaspoon of cold pressed apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.  The first dose stopped my diarrhea immediately, and after a couple doses take a couple hours apart my stomach and intestines felt calm enough to try eating.  After a day I was eating normally again, and after three days I stopped taking the vinegar water and the salmonella never came back.

I'd recommend this if the diarrhea is still a problem for you.

I can't find any cold pressed apple cider vinegar, the only cold-pressed stuff I could find were like olive oil and sesame oil i think.  maybe flaxseed oil too, im not sure.  And maybe sunflower oil.  I can't remember if they were cold-pressed or not, but there really wasn't a lot of cold-pressed stuff to choose from.. would the oils help at all either?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »
The store seemed to be out of raw cultured butter, so I had to get regular butter instead, which I am disappointed about.  But I got the raw milk and drank it, and ate some of the raw butter with raw cheese, and they actually seemed to make me feel better, at least while I was at work.  Once I got home, though, I felt sick again and had more diarrhea, and still had some just now after waking up.  There also seems like there might be some slight blood in the diarrhea too, though since before drinking the milk, so it wasn't caused by the dairy.  I only bought a small thing of milk though, because I can't afford the raw dairy much, it's pretty expensive, but there was only 4 cups of milk in it.  I drank most of it, but there was a little bit left in the bottom, which I've decided I'll let sit for a while at room temperature and hopefully sour it a bit, and make it a better probiotic.  I drank somewhat sour raw milk before, so I'll probably be able to drink it down if I let this bit get sour.  The dairy was all that I consumed yesterday though, nothing else. 

Dunno what else to do.

Offline UB

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 11:04:23 pm »
  There also seems like there might be some slight blood in the diarrhea too, though since before drinking the milk, so it wasn't caused by the dairy. 
Dunno what else to do.

If you are sure it was blood, then I suggest you see a doctor right away. Blood in the stool is never ever a good sign.

Good luck

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »
If you are sure it was blood, then I suggest you see a doctor right away. Blood in the stool is never ever a good sign.

Good luck

It seemed like it was, but I'm not sure, it was hard to tell.  But I haven't been to a doctor since I was 16 years old, and don't plan on going unless things become unbearable.  Most likely they would just prescribe me on some antibiotics anyways, which is definately something I do NOT want.  I never want to take antibiotics especially now that I know what they actually do.

I seem to be getting better though, it's not as bad as it was before, and I feel good enough that I'm going to try and eat some raw ground beef today(organic 100% grass-fed of course) and see how I do on that.  The cheese and butter don't cause any ill effects at all, and I'm hoping the meat won't either.. All I've been eating for the passed 3 days is the raw dairy, and in very tiny amounts, and I'm very hungry and losing weight.  I don't want to lose anymore weight, I'm already anorexic looking, so I need to start eating again.  I'm just afraid to eat anything non raw for fear it will make things worse.. I'm also afraid to eat any raw eggs or fruit.. and I don't eat veggies, so right now raw dairy and raw meat seem to be my only options.  Though I might also try eating some fruit later if I seem to do well on the meat.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 01:08:43 am »
Don't be afraid to eat things NON-RAW if you're anorexic looking, you're a young MAN so feed yourself goddamit!!!
You can still make a good choice of certain foods that are non raw (ie. NOT PIZZA OR GRAINS), especially if you can't get a good amount of good raw foods into yourself at this time, EXAMPLE Kefir and plain yoghurt from the health store or a quality supermarket containing good bacteria. When I had tummy problems even pasteurized KEFIR made my stomach better because it still has a shitload of very good bacteria! Thats just my experience, if I eat anything pasteurized ever it is because it had probiotics added to it, and that doesn't give me any problems. By the way I consume raw meat and fish every day (even grainfed whatever) but when I eat good cheese, yoghurt, kefir, yes EVEN when pasteurized (not at the moment though because my digestion is dam near perfect so I have felt no need to :P ) I have no problems whatsoever! So don't be scared and eat something before you get too weak because you're a young guy who needs food ok? Make some frikkin chicken broth/soup from a real chicken, eat some sour kraut on the side, have some brocolli and steamed carrots with your butter melted on top, have some kefir shots, if raw egg whites giving you problems, lightly sear the eggs in your butter and have them SUNNY SIDE UP - delicious, YUM!

I love raw but when a young guy like you is having these problems, I feel the need for above mentioned foods!

just my opinion if you guys don't agree thats ok.  >D

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 01:45:47 am »
Blood in the stool is common in Salmonella poisoning.  Just get any organic apple cider vinegar you can and give my recipe a try.  If you don't notice a big difference after a few doses, you need to see a doctor.  With all of the salmonella strains that are immune to antibiotics and the worry of creating more, they probably won't prescribe anything for you, just tell you to go home, lie in bed, drink lots of fluids, eat toast-rice-bananas-applesauce and rest until your body clears the infection.  Which might take weeks, or in rare cases months.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 01:55:55 am »
ooops Wolf I realized you're a girl - I am not sure why I thought you were a male maybe because I think of the name Wolf as a male name I am so sorry  :-*

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 04:13:12 am »
ooops Wolf I realized you're a girl - I am not sure why I thought you were a male maybe because I think of the name Wolf as a male name I am so sorry  :-*

Lol, that's alright, Wolf is maleish I guess, but I just love Wolves and they eat raw meat, so I thought it would be appropriate name for me in this forum.

I'm mostly anorexic looking right now because I've been sick and afraid to eat anything at all that will make my stomach hurt and such.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 04:40:42 am »
Have you tried blending a smoothie with yoghurt, fruits, bannanas, nuts and coconut milk? (doesn't have to be all those things at once!) That should put some weight on you, also have you tried eating some raw nuts, they are high in calories, like macadamias, pine nuts, walnuts and almonds. Of course if any of those give you stomach problems then don't eat then but you try.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 04:53:50 am »
Have you tried blending a smoothie with yoghurt, fruits, bannanas, nuts and coconut milk? (doesn't have to be all those things at once!) That should put some weight on you, also have you tried eating some raw nuts, they are high in calories, like macadamias, pine nuts, walnuts and almonds. Of course if any of those give you stomach problems then don't eat then but you try.

I don't have a blender, and can't afford one.

I haven't been able to find any raw nuts really, and I never much liked nuts anyways.

also, sour milk is too sour, almost puked trying to drink it just now, so that's not gonna work.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 07:07:33 am »
I always keep a supply of the following things on hand:
unheated honey, raw apple cider vinegar, terramin clay

they are useful in situations where you are not well enough to eat normal food. Much better than going to the hospital, getting antibiotics, and being lectured by doctors that raw meat is "dangerous".

A long time ago, I ate raw supermarket meat for a while, including chicken and pork, to see how bad it really is. Sometimes I got itchy skin, bumps on skin that look and itch like mosquito bites, and nausea. Had diarrhea once or twice, but it never lasted more than a day. This was quite early in my raw paleo adventure, and I think my system wasn't fully adapted to raw meat. (I say this because I occasionally also got these symptoms from good-quality meat). I suspect that if I were to repeat this experiment today, I would be able to eat supermarket meat without such bad reactions.

Now I get diarrhea only if I do something stupid like eat 2 cups of coconut cream at once, or tons of fruit after a meat meal. It didn't take long to learn not to do these things.

If I do have diarrhea, I found that it's pointless to consume anything other than honey, or ACV, or clay, or water, until the diarrhea subsides. Even if you're underweight, eating won't help if the food goes through you unabsorbed.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 10:11:49 am »
I'd recommend against eating nuts of any kind, particularly while you're still afflicted with diarrhea.  Nuts are challenging to digest regardless, and would be that much more challenging and probably quite irritating if you ate them while suffering from gastrointestinal upset. 

Hopefully you can find some apple cider vinegar, even if its not unheated or organic.  I really think that will make a world of difference for you.  I hope you feel better soon!

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 11:39:54 pm »
I always keep a supply of the following things on hand:
unheated honey, raw apple cider vinegar, terramin clay

they are useful in situations where you are not well enough to eat normal food. Much better than going to the hospital, getting antibiotics, and being lectured by doctors that raw meat is "dangerous".

A long time ago, I ate raw supermarket meat for a while, including chicken and pork, to see how bad it really is. Sometimes I got itchy skin, bumps on skin that look and itch like mosquito bites, and nausea. Had diarrhea once or twice, but it never lasted more than a day. This was quite early in my raw paleo adventure, and I think my system wasn't fully adapted to raw meat. (I say this because I occasionally also got these symptoms from good-quality meat). I suspect that if I were to repeat this experiment today, I would be able to eat supermarket meat without such bad reactions.

Now I get diarrhea only if I do something stupid like eat 2 cups of coconut cream at once, or tons of fruit after a meat meal. It didn't take long to learn not to do these things.

If I do have diarrhea, I found that it's pointless to consume anything other than honey, or ACV, or clay, or water, until the diarrhea subsides. Even if you're underweight, eating won't help if the food goes through you unabsorbed.

I haven't been able to find any source of reliably 100% sure unheated honey.  I bought a couple honey's labeled as "raw" but I have no idea if they have never been heated or not.  Also can't find any honey in the comb, though I've had it once a long time ago, my mom bought it for me.. but I didn't much like the texture of the waxy comb.  Didn't know I could eat it, though, I spat it out.

I also still have no idea where to find edible clays.  Are they usually just at a regular health food or organic store?  Would Trader Joe's have any?  And I've been recommended so many different types, which one am I supposed to get?  And what's the difference between them anyways?

As for the raw apple cider vinegar, I could try looking for it.  I just hope it's not too expensive and doesn't taste bad, because I can't eat anything that tastes bad to me.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 11:41:35 pm »
I'd recommend against eating nuts of any kind, particularly while you're still afflicted with diarrhea.  Nuts are challenging to digest regardless, and would be that much more challenging and probably quite irritating if you ate them while suffering from gastrointestinal upset. 

Hopefully you can find some apple cider vinegar, even if its not unheated or organic.  I really think that will make a world of difference for you.  I hope you feel better soon!

Of course, you tell me this right after I bought a bag of nuts.  Lol.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 04:08:46 am »
As for the raw apple cider vinegar, I could try looking for it.  I just hope it's not too expensive and doesn't taste bad, because I can't eat anything that tastes bad to me.[/font][/color]
Look for Bragg's brand. Every regular supermarket here in my area of NY, as well as all the little health food stores, stock it so it should be easy to find in Cali. It's not overly expensive either.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 05:41:22 am »
Because i have all the symptoms:
# Sudden onset of symptoms
# Severe headache
# Vomiting
# Diarrhea
# Abdominal cramps
# Fever
# Flu-like symptoms
# Loss of appetite

Lol, I just got salmonella for the first time last night. I have all the symptoms of you including bad chills, I am freezing. It was either that nasty duck I ate 2 days ago, or the 24 eggs I ate yesterday. Honestly, I've been eating regular eggs, I cant afford organic eggs so screw em all. Never got sick from even grainfed beef (although I never eat that) No more eggs for me, just more meat, but I need more fat somehow. I may try the beck purifier tonight. I have apple cider vinegar, how much should I take.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 08:25:33 am »
The apple cider vinegar recipe I used was a teaspoon of vinegar in a cup of water.  Doesn't have to be exact.  And it shouldn't taste bad, about like very watered down apple juice (although don't substitute apple juice for apple cider vinegar).

As far as cost, it should be very cheap, even if you buy raw and organic.  I don't think I paid more than $2 or $3 for the bottle I bought, and I used only a tiny portion of it to get my salmonella under control.

Yeah, all chicken products are risky.  I got salmonella poisoning the one time I ate raw chicken meat.  It was free range, pasture fed and certified organic, so go figure.  I eat eggs fairly often, but am incredibly picky as to my suppliers.  I would never eat an egg raw that I bought from a store, only if I can visit the farm and inspect how the chickens are raised and where the eggs are laid first hand. 

I just got a few dozen eggs the other day from a trusted supplier, all fertilized.  They taste rich, and the yolks are a deep orange-red in color, and not from blood spotting.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 07:30:24 pm »
Okay so the other day all I ate was grass-fed ground beef and raw milk/cheese/butter, and I didn't feel so sick or get diarrhea at all.  (though I didn't have a bowel movement at all, either.)  The next day I felt good enough to try some fruit, but that was a mistake because I got diarrhea again not very long after eating the fruit, maybe like 30 minutes later, at most.  Also tried eating some of the raw brazil nuts I just bought, which taste good actually, but they seem to have caused me worse diarrhea than the fruit.  So, no more plant food for me.  Still afraid to eat any eggs though, also afraid to eat any grain-fed fat, so that just leaves me with the grass-fed ground beef and raw milk/dairy.  Can't think of anything else that isn't plant-food, eggs, or grain-fed that I can eat?  Can anyone think of anything else I can eat that isn't those three things that I can eat?  (I can't find any grass-fed liver/fat/bones/organs)  I'm afraid to eat honey because of the sugar, I feel like sugars/carbs only make things worse.  Plus I don't know for sure if the honey I have has never been heated, even though it's labeled as "raw."

Today I'm going to stop by the store and buy some more raw milk, some raw cultured butter if they have it this time, as well as some Qephor--http://www.organicpastures.com/products_qephor.html--I didn't realize this was basically Kefir.
Hopefully all that probioticness will help me get over this already, I'm sick of being sick!  (lol.)
Gonna buy some more grass-fed ground beef too, to give me something solid to eat.  Wondering if I might buy myself a grass-fed steak to treat myself to, as well, but I'm not sure, the dairy will probably be expensive.  I wish it all wasn't so expensive, and that I was richer.
While at the stores, I'll look for the apple cider vinegar, too, though I'm actually a little afraid to try it since it's plant based.  But it seems like it should be okay, so if I can find it, I'll try some tonight, and see how that goes.  Hopefully it helps, too.  I'm just glad that I got a decent paycheck this last payday and can better afford this stuff for right now.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 07:32:48 pm »
Lol, I just got salmonella for the first time last night. I have all the symptoms of you including bad chills, I am freezing. It was either that nasty duck I ate 2 days ago, or the 24 eggs I ate yesterday. Honestly, I've been eating regular eggs, I cant afford organic eggs so screw em all. Never got sick from even grainfed beef (although I never eat that) No more eggs for me, just more meat, but I need more fat somehow. I may try the beck purifier tonight. I have apple cider vinegar, how much should I take.

Maybe try some raw dairy if you can?  It seemed to have helped me.  Any plant foods made things worse though, but apple cider vinegar might help, will you let me know how that works out for you?  I'm going to try and buy some today.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:08 pm »
For diarrhea in general, there are very few plant-based, non-grain foods that have proven to be helpful to me.  Cooked white rise is one, bananas are another, apple cider vinegar is the third.  I don't recommend eating other plant-based foods while suffering from any gastrointestinal malady, particularly nuts (I'm sad you tried Brazil nuts, really bad idea...)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 10:22:07 pm »
For diarrhea in general, there are very few plant-based, non-grain foods that have proven to be helpful to me.  Cooked white rise is one, bananas are another, apple cider vinegar is the third.  I don't recommend eating other plant-based foods while suffering from any gastrointestinal malady, particularly nuts (I'm sad you tried Brazil nuts, really bad idea...)

I know some recipes that include grain that help people who have diarrhea.  Since they're cooked and grain-based, I won't enumerate them here, unless everyone wants that. 

Charcoal is not raw, but it's one of the best things at halting loose gassy stools.  I don't use it on me, but I've seen it used enough.  It's simple enough, it saves lives in emergencies and paleo man could have had access to it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2010, 10:51:08 pm »
Maybe try some raw dairy if you can?  It seemed to have helped me.  Any plant foods made things worse though, but apple cider vinegar might help, will you let me know how that works out for you?  I'm going to try and buy some today.

The apple cider vinegar is working. The other night, I must have woke up 5 times to have diarrhea. Last night after I used apple cider vinegar a couple times, I slept a full 8 hrs not waking up once. I still had it in the morning, but at least I got a full nights rest. I did get some raw milk from a farmer because I cant really eat much solids at the moment, and that does make me feel better.

An interesting thing I noticed about acne wolf, is that it correlates to sleep loss. I dont really get it much anymore, but when I dont sleep good, I flare up. I flared up bad when I didnt get much sleep the other day, but last night I slept well, and this morning it was almost all gone.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk