Author Topic: What rawpalaeo foods are you eating right now?  (Read 529700 times)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: What rawpalaeo foods are you eating right now?
« Reply #575 on: December 29, 2010, 03:49:16 am »
Recently when I ate one clove of garlic I almost vomited.

Garlic and onions make me run away like a brakeless 18-wheeler going full speed downhill.  ;D

Tonight I just had half a venisson leg, a fenel, one and half sweet potatoes, a lot of chestnuts. All delicious.

Edit: 4 of my own trees' apples latter on.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:44:42 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 29, 2010, 04:49:47 am »
Today I bought quite fatty chunk of horse meat.
I'm just eating it (of course only some part of it)

Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Dima

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 29, 2010, 04:51:04 am »
That looks awesome, Hannibal!

I'm finishing a duck I bought yesterday. I found out I can't eat a whole duck in one sitting  l)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 29, 2010, 04:57:11 am »
damn, that horse looks delicious.

i just ate some fatty pastured pork  and bison marrow and then some marinated eggplant a little while after.

i also tried chewing on some licorice root (ala iguana). it was ok at first but then it started tasting pretty foul...

tonight i'll probably eat some seaweed and veggies. or something. not really feeling like eating any more animal stuff today. we'll see

edit: ended up eating half a grapefruit, some blueberries, parsley, and then some pecans later
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:34:31 am by yon yonson »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 29, 2010, 08:42:49 am »
damn, that horse looks delicious.
you got that right!
fasting today

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:43 am »
I fourth that. Almost looks like beef cheek which has a really nice almost smokey flavour.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 29, 2010, 11:11:39 am »
Today I bought quite fatty chunk of horse meat....

Looking good, but ...dare I say, marbled? Can meat be perfectly marbled and 100% grass-fed?

Today was a day of raw lamb and beer for me.
Thats all I had, some beer early on because we have mini-little vacation going on, and fresh raw lamb tonight, the shank with the marrow bone in the middle and lots of fat around it, a complete package....the "happy meal" of the paleo world, lol....I love the fat that comes with the lamb meat, makes me full.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »
Looking good, but ...dare I say, marbled? Can meat be perfectly marbled and 100% grass-fed?
I don't know if it is 100% grass-fed.
The taste and the aroma of that meat is so pleasant, so it's rather impossible that horses are given some "shit foods".
But I do not understand what do you mean with this "marbled".

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 29, 2010, 03:33:29 pm »

Is it possible that's just connective tissue and structural fat?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 29, 2010, 03:46:55 pm »
Is it possible that's just connective tissue and structural fat?
It's only the fat that "marbles" that chunk of horse meat.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: December 29, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »
I agree with Yuli, AFAIK meat from exclusively grass fed animals shouldn't be marbled like that, i.e. with fat mixed in-between the muscle. The taste of badly fed animals meat can be great.

We had this problem here: we trusted a friendly stockbreeder only to discover latter that he had cheated  for years, feeding his animals with loads of barley and oats. His instincto customers preferred the meat of the animals that were fed with the most grain. GCB had warned that the meat of a Southern France stockbreeder trusted by instinctos (without specifically telling his name) was not ok, but his warning were ignored. 

François
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 29, 2010, 06:37:44 pm »
I agree with Yuli, AFAIK meat from exclusively grass fed animals shouldn't be marbled like that, i.e. with fat mixed in-between the muscle.
Any vindication?
The taste of badly fed animals meat can be great.
I disagree.
Tyler probably too.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 29, 2010, 06:42:38 pm »
Grass-fed lamb shoulder chops can be a little marbled.

Horse meat sold in my province is extremely lean, not a shred of fat :(

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »
Horse meat sold in my province is extremely lean, not a shred of fat :(
The horse meat that I buy is predominatingly very lean.
But sometimese it has got a little bit of fat; like that one.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 29, 2010, 06:51:52 pm »
Any vindication?

No, sorry: it's just that all the wild and grass fed animals meat I saw isn't marbled like that. I've heard other experienced instinctos stating the same.

I disagree.
Tyler probably too.

Let's experiment and see! A cannibalism test might be the best way to find out...  ;D

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 29, 2010, 07:45:58 pm »
Grass-fed lamb shoulder chops can be a little marbled.

I've never seen any marbled lamb meat, ever... It can't be grass-fed. Either that your you are confused about what marbling is.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 29, 2010, 09:21:47 pm »
No, sorry: it's just that all the wild and grass fed animals meat I saw isn't marbled like that. I've heard other experienced instinctos stating the same.
Composition of meats from different animals are so different from each others.
To prove your point you've got to hunt a wild horse and take a pic of its carcass  ;D

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 29, 2010, 09:41:38 pm »
There’s that on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_feeding

Grain-fed cattle have more internal fat (i.e., marbling) which results in a more tender meat than forage-fed cattle of a similar age. In some Asian countries such as Japan, which is not a grain surplus country, tastes and preferences have encouraged feeding grain to cattle, but at a high cost since the grain must be imported.[17]

Most grass-fed cattle are leaner than feedlot beef, lacking marbling, which lowers the fat content and caloric level of the meat. Meat from grass-fed cattle also have higher levels of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) and the Omega-3 fatty acids ALA, EPA, and DHA.[19]

But also that :

Grass-fed beef is not standardized. Most is leaner than conventional feedlot beef, but some is equally marbled  due to carefully managed grazing, excellent pastures, and improved genetics. Another technique for producing well-marbled grass-fed cattle is to keep the animals on pasture for two years or more. Most pasture-based ranchers dry-age the beef for 7–21 days, enhancing the flavor and tenderness of the meat.[citation needed]

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 29, 2010, 09:45:26 pm »
When it comes to the sheep this theory is bullocks :D
The mutton is SO FATTY at the end of the summer, from animals eating ONLY grass, wild fruits, etc.
So much internal fat.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 29, 2010, 10:07:17 pm »
Yes, but there's a difference between:

- marbling which is just as on you horse meat photo, small parts of fat equally spread everywhere amongst the muscle
- large parts of fat localized in particular spots.

I agree that marbling is not an absolute proof that the animal has been grain fed, but that’s suspicious.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 29, 2010, 10:19:56 pm »
- marbling which is just as on you horse meat photo, small parts of fat equally spread everywhere amongst the muscle 
But 95% of the horse meats that I buy are extremely lean. I always ask my seller to give me the most fatty parts, but I rarely get ones.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #596 on: December 29, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »
But 95% of the horse meats that I buy are extremely lean. I always ask my seller to give me the most fatty parts, but I rarely get ones.
I hate it that when I buy raw horsemeat in Italy, they routinely cut off the fat in front of me. I have to tell  them in bad Italian to stop, and then they think I'm crazy.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 30, 2010, 01:08:56 am »
The horse meat that I buy is predominatingly very lean.
But sometimese it has got a little bit of fat; like that one.

I don't know much about horse meat as I have never tried it or saw it for sale here. Only from what I know I saying that the grain-fed steaks I buy have similar marbling sometimes (marbling is the term when the fat is woven throughout the muscle meat)...and the grass-fed steaks I buy have no marbling at all. Deer and goat I get has no marbling either. Lamb I get has plenty of fat on the sides and around the bone but non throughout the muscle meat parts.

When it comes to the sheep this theory is bullocks :D
The mutton is SO FATTY at the end of the summer, from animals eating ONLY grass, wild fruits, etc.
So much internal fat.

Yes a lot of fat but its all connected to the meat as a pose to being evenly marbled throughout, thats the main difference I see.

The taste of badly fed animals meat can be great ....
Any vindication? I disagree.
Tyler probably too.

Yep, "badly fed" meaning not starved or anything, but giving animals plenty of grain will cause marbling. They can taste great if you get some of the nice expensive marbled steaks they taste divine. There is a lot of grain-fed meat that can taste like crap yes, but the "good" marbled meat is really good, even if you like the grass-fed stuff you can't say its not tasty, unless you haven't had a truly good marbled cow steak.

Again I have no idea because its possible some meats can marble on grass only!
However I doubt any wild ruminants will develop marbling, ever.

Heres a diagram of marbliness I found:

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 30, 2010, 01:22:29 am »
Yes, that's it. The Australian horse meat I used to find in Switzerand was like the "Slight" one on your pics, but without the fat parts.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 30, 2010, 02:43:08 am »
The marbling would get in the way of the muscle function. There's nothing good about it being there, it serves no purpose for padding or insulation, it can only be a malfunction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk