Author Topic: my so called journal  (Read 123317 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
my so called journal
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:11:37 am »
Ok first off I'm going to put a disclaimer that I don't really feel like keeping a journal. However I think it would be good for me because it's hard to stay on the straight and narrow when you're on your own and a journal might make me feel differently.

I haven't eaten anything yet today but as it looks now I'm going to eat a beef muscle/suet mixture and possibly some organs. I don't measure my food intake (I'm thinking of getting a scale for that soon) but I put a good amount of beef muscle in my food processor and then put a little less (by volume, more than half but not much) of suet and chop them up together. I don't have any fruits or veggies in the house right now but am planning a possible trip to the hfs for blueberries, honey and a couple of other things to try and make a raw ketchup (from Juliano's Raw recipe book) and also horseradish to blend in (an attempt at raw cocktail sauce which if successful will be eaten with oysters in the near future).

So for today I'll probably eat two meals of beef muscle/suet and some blueberries. I'm going to do a kettlebell workout and then Brazilian jiu jit su class tonight for exercise. I find that going to the gym every day helps me keep on my diet every day, and vice versa. It's easy to eat junk when you're not exercising and taxing your body and it's easy to not want to exercise when you eat junk.

That's all for now, thanks for reading and I'll try and put at least one post a day about what I'm eating and what my exercise regimen is.

Oh one more thing I'll put my weight during the day on here. I think I'd like to gain some weight, right now I'm right around 155 lbs and would probably feel and look better closer to 170. The only thing that makes me question this jump is having to compete (in martial arts) against much bigger guys. But really that's a silly reason to keep my weight lower than I think would be optimum for me.
Today's weight at 12:11 p.m. + = 157.6 lbs

Satya

Re: my so called journal
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:37:01 am »
How tall are you?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:30:16 am »
I just measured because I wasn't really sure and according to a pencil on the wall line measured with a metal measuring tape I'm exactly 5'9".

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:06:23 am »
I did indeed eat beef muscle/suet mixture last night mixed with some blueberries and a spoonful of honey.

Yesterday at around 6 p.m. I did a kettlebell and bodyweight workout and then bjj class. My joints, particularly in my legs, have been feeling a little sore recently. For example it's uncomfortable to sit on my legs with the tops of my feet under me, probably from footlocks, kicks (missing with the shin and hitting with the foot) and being in the sitting on legs position often during grappling.

Weight = 156.2 lbs

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:52:23 am »
I tried spleen for the first time today. Only a few ounces; I'm comfortable with liver at this point but spleen seemed a little more mineral rich. I suppose the facts are that liver is more mineral rich, but I'm definitely tasting something different in spleen.

Then I had a beef muscle/suet mixture with some of the raw ketchup I made last night. I'm going to use it to make cocktail sauce once I get some horseradish, and eat it with oysters. It's pretty good, the recipe is found in Juliano's recipe book "Raw."

Satya

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:01:53 am »
I tried spleen for the first time today. Only a few ounces; I'm comfortable with liver at this point but spleen seemed a little more mineral rich. I suppose the facts are that liver is more mineral rich, but I'm definitely tasting something different in spleen.

Then I had a beef muscle/suet mixture with some of the raw ketchup I made last night. I'm going to use it to make cocktail sauce once I get some horseradish, and eat it with oysters. It's pretty good, the recipe is found in Juliano's recipe book "Raw."

Um, is that a good taste in spleen?

Hey, I have Juliano's book.  But you know, I was researching, and ketchup (catsup) is really basically a fish sauce traditionally.  Sally Fallon has a recipe in her book, and fish sauce is lacto-fermented anchovies basically.  That may not be to you taste, but if so, maybe I will post up the recipe sometime.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:15:25 am »
The spleen was challenging but so was liver when I first started.

That fish sauce catsup sounds great. I love fish sauce in Thai recipes but am put off by the ingredients in most bottled fish sauces (sugar, msg, commercial salt).

In this catsup are there tomatoes? I could certainly find some dried anchovies or maybe even fresh and ferment them as the base. Ketchup is good because it can be used for other stuff, like the cocktail sauce I want to make. Also isn't Russian dressing a combination of ketchup and mayonnaise? Tons of other stuff I'm sure.

Satya

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:09:28 am »
In this catsup are there tomatoes? I could certainly find some dried anchovies or maybe even fresh and ferment them as the base. Ketchup is good because it can be used for other stuff, like the cocktail sauce I want to make. Also isn't Russian dressing a combination of ketchup and mayonnaise? Tons of other stuff I'm sure.

Yeah yeah, that's why they call it tomato ketchup (or catsup).  Catsup sounds like cat-snot or some other feline bodily fluid, but it comes from westerners trying to pronouce oriental words.  It comes from ke-tsiap, a Chinese word meaning fish sauce.  I have a recipe for oyster catsup in a Monticello cookbook.  The possibilities are endless of what you can add to fish sauce.

And yes, many other dressings and such stem from those.  I will post up the NT recipe, modified without whey and less sweetener (it uses maple, so honey is an easy switch), so I won't violate the ©.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 05:54:19 am »
I tell ya what, Spleen is something else!
It's supposed to be very rich in enzymes.
I enjoy liver much more

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 08:46:49 am »
I'm gonna eat a handful of so of blueberries now, take a shower, and then eat some more spleen and then muscle/suet. I'll try and weigh myself as well because I sweated a lot and haven't drank enough to put it all back I think.

Also I got kneed really well in the left thigh and am having a little trouble walking, but I can't see any bruise which is confusing.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:26:20 pm »
I weighed 155.6 and then 154.4 after a shower. I ate some spleen and muscle/suet like I planned, and a couple of handfuls of blueberries.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 12:58:31 am »
weight = 154.4 lbs

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 12:12:00 am »
weight = 155.6 lbs this morning

Yesterday was hard. I think it's been about a week with no cooked food at all, and I think that had a lot to do with the headache I had last night. I ate my normal food: finished up the spleen (only a few ounces at a time) and I've been kind of measuring the meat which is a little less than 1.5 lbs a day mixed with an amount of suet that seems like a little less than the meat in volume. Also a few handfuls of blueberries and kimchi. My food wasn't very appetizing, I'm probably going to have to get some sashimi or something today to spice things up.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 06:22:35 am »
Yeah the healthier you eat causes the detox to kick in! I think the headache is the toxins going back into the blood stream to be excreted.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 12:40:09 am »
156.6 lbs this morning. Last night was hard, I had a weird day and didn't eat until the sashimi at around 4 p.m. I didn't shun the cooked stuff in there but I think it was just the fake crab. I also had a little bit of the wasabi and a good amount of pickled ginger, which probably had some less than optimal ingredients. Then around 2 a.m. I had about 3/4 lbs of meat with suet. I got into some stuff that day and didn't have time to eat before then and was going crazy. Today I'm going to try to get back into the amount that I was eating before.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 01:02:30 pm »
Today was hard as well. I had oysters and tried my new raw cocktail sauce but oysters seem to leave me with a funny feeling after eating them. I feel strangely thirsty, and I feel like I've eaten something but my stomach is not satisfied at all. I felt much better about an hour or two after. As for my cocktail sauce, I put in too much horseradish and it was all that good, but it did give me faith that a decent sauce could be made raw paleo style.

That's all I ate, 3 dozen oysters. I was supposed to eat muscle/suet but I procrastinated because tomorrow is my first day at a new job and I didn't want to be home alone so I went to copy some stuff at my uncle's house and hung out there until late. I'll just consider it some intermittent fasting and get back on the high calorie horse tomorrow.

xylothrill

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 01:53:27 pm »
Today was hard as well. I had oysters and tried my new raw cocktail sauce but oysters seem to leave me with a funny feeling after eating them. I feel strangely thirsty, and I feel like I've eaten something but my stomach is not satisfied at all. I felt much better about an hour or two after. As for my cocktail sauce, I put in too much horseradish and it was all that good, but it did give me faith that a decent sauce could be made raw paleo style.

That's all I ate, 3 dozen oysters. I was supposed to eat muscle/suet but I procrastinated because tomorrow is my first day at a new job and I didn't want to be home alone so I went to copy some stuff at my uncle's house and hung out there until late. I'll just consider it some intermittent fasting and get back on the high calorie horse tomorrow.

Good for you! Turning what most would see as a negative into a positive! I've noticed oysters to be salty and either they don't have much fat to fill you up or they contain a lot of water.

Good luck with the new job!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 09:28:28 am »
Things have been crazy with the new job but I only went off my diet once to have a Japanese dinner with my girlfriend the night before she went off to school. Things are going pretty well.

xylothrill

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 02:45:34 pm »
Kyle,

It's okay. You're still doing well but doesn't Japanese food lend itself to being one of the easiest of cuisines to offer raw paleo foods? Sashimi? Seaweed? What did you end up having? I'm not being critical, just curious.

Craig

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 10:18:07 pm »
I had spicy seafood soup and spicy seafood salad, which is all cooked I think. Then I had soft shell crab and then sushi. One of the sushi rolls I had did not have rice; it was called a Naruto roll (which I believe is after a Japanese cartoon) and was wrapped in thinly sliced cucumber.

I used to just get sashimi but it was so terribly unsatisfying while watching others get whatever they wanted, and also it doesn't fill me up. I've noticed raw fish for me is more of a snack thing, if I try to eat enough to get full I don't feel that well. Same thing I found out with the oysters I had this week. It's great as an appetizer or snack but trying to eat a full 1000+ calorie meal out of raw fish does not sit well with me at this time.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 10:04:25 am »
I had a bit of Mr. Bungles this weekend but I'm back on track for the week and I came up with the idea of blending about a pound of beef muscle with suet and also some kind of fruit as my staple. At first I was just using blueberries sometimes but now I'm trying different stuff, today I tried a pear. I have some peaches and strawberries as well. So I'm looking forward to how this works out.

In other news I'm currently house shopping and really excited about the prospect. Ever since I was a young adult I've wanted my own place to do with what I wish and now it's a real possibility.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 11:27:31 am »
and a buyers market from what I hear! It's cool to have your own place thats yours with no rent inspections and you can paint it, renovate it until your hearts content!

I bought mine when I was close to your age now 22? which is fairly young, I was at Uni with a decent deposit, but little income, and it was the best thing I ever did. I bought one of the crappiest places (but closest) to the beach I could. It's turned out to be a great investment also, the land is being redeveloped to high rise.

I was poor for years but that didn't matter I liked where i lived.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 08:55:14 am »
Been doing good but I'm having a little trouble including too much carbs with my meat mix. The blending fruit in thing is turning into a problem it seems. Without it though the meat mix tastes very boring and is not appealing.

Offline Erasmus

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 11:42:30 pm »
Been doing good but I'm having a little trouble including too much carbs with my meat mix. The blending fruit in thing is turning into a problem it seems. Without it though the meat mix tastes very boring and is not appealing.

Speaking as the voice of zero experience...  ;D

Rather than mix your fruit in, which does sound problematic, why not try making your meat mix a "spread" that you put onto fruit "crackers".  I would think that crisp pears or apples cut into planks would hold quite a bit of meat.  Raw Paleo canapes!  Throw a party!  Invite the neighbors!

-E

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 12:05:35 am »
Interesting idea.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk