Author Topic: How much meat and how much fruit?  (Read 22735 times)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
How much meat and how much fruit?
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:36:40 am »
Over the past few months i have been eating various different proportions of meat and fruit.
My question for all the omnivores here is, within a single day, how much meat and how much fruit do you find to be the best? I know this will largely depend on the individual, but I'm interested to know. Also, what is your eating regime like? Meat and fruit at the same meal, at separate meals, fruit for breakfast and meat in the evening or vice versa? Or just random?

I myself am thinking that I will start eating a large meat meal with animal fat for breakfast, perhaps with 2 or 3 teaspoons of honey (I experimented with unheated honey and as far as I know had no negative effects). And in the late afternoon/evening I will have a second meal consisting of only fruit. I want to try and stick to paleo fruits, like berries.

In between orders of grass-fed beef (including fat) when I don't have access to fatty meat or fat I eat lean meat such as wild salmon. In this scenario I get hungrier quicker, I think due to the drop in fat intake. So the following eating regime is probably better at these times: Lean meat (fish) for breakfast. Fruit meal around midday. Lean meat (fish) in evening. So three meals.

Btw, can anyone think of any fruit other than berries that are considered paleo? And what's your view on combining avocado (fatty fruit) with berries etc (usually quite sweet fruit)? Helpful or a hindrance?

"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How much meat and how much fruit?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:21:49 am »
Well I came from basically a fruitarian diet and I still love to eat fruit. My daily calorie intake is about 50% from fruit and veges and 50% from meat and fat. I know these probably aren't ideal ratios but I eat what I care for at that moment. On a usuall day for breakfast and lunch I eat fruit. Then for dinner I eat a large meal of meat and fat. I feel better when eating fruit in the morning maybe because of lowered blood sugar but I really don't know. I never mix fruit and meat because I always have stomach pains afterwards.

Also I started a thread about this a while ago:
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/omnivorous-raw-paleo/how-much-fruit-do-all-of-the-raw-paleo-omnivores-eat/
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 11:43:30 am »
Depends on the fruit.
Depends on the meat.
I do some sort of instinct and rationalization and results judgment.
And it depends on the current state of your body.
You have to listen to what you need at the moment.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »
Thanks kurite for bringing that thread to my attention. The info provided by actionhero in that thread is very interesting. Isn't he zero carb now?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »
I think thats part of his 6 month expirement. He sort of took raw paleo to the next level IMO. Unfortunately I haven't seen him posting lately, Im not even sure if hes raw paleo anymore.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »
I vary. Some days I will eat nothing, just drink mineral water. But usually I eat 1 kilo of raw meat a day, plus some raw fruit, maybe a bunch of bananas.  1 large meal a day, generally speaking.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 04:31:57 am »
1kg meat = ~200-250g protein...that's a lot of protein, or are we talking very fatty meat? Surely, beyond maintenance requirements...

Do you reckon this much meat is prudent, for example, as a source of minerals like calcium and magnesium?
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 04:45:08 am »
 The kilo of meat often includes the weight of the bone. I am totally unconcerned re the protein issues as I am not RZC and so I can eat as much protein as I want without issues.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 05:06:47 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 04:49:20 am »
Hmmm, you're pretty lucky - eating that much meat (from memory) would always give me a burned out feeling and stingy eyes (like needing to rub them).

I think my body constitution does not suit large doses of protein - maybe my kidneys aren't functioning optimally...

Do you eat any amount of supplementary fat or just what comes on the meat? For example, would you cut 50g suet into slices and eat that? I always had the impression that you don't do this kind of thing, unless eating marrow...
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 05:08:19 am »
I loatheraw suet. I used to also eat large amounts of raw marrow but don`t bother any more as I had realised that it wasn`t necessary. I often eat fatty raw muscle-meats though like raw mutton at times.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 08:00:28 am »
The kilo of meat often includes the weight of the bone. I am totally unconcerned re the protein issues as I am not RZC and so I can eat as much protein as I want without issues.

It doesn't matter if you're Raw Zero Plant either..

Hmmm, you're pretty lucky - eating that much meat (from memory) would always give me a burned out feeling and stingy eyes (like needing to rub them).

I think my body constitution does not suit large doses of protein - maybe my kidneys aren't functioning optimally...

Do you eat any amount of supplementary fat or just what comes on the meat? For example, would you cut 50g suet into slices and eat that? I always had the impression that you don't do this kind of thing, unless eating marrow...

You're meant to be restful after eating meat...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 08:57:45 am »
yeah, I don't really understand how it matters what actual approach one is doing. It seems the reason people do the particular high fat version of ZC or VLC is because they don't WANT to be burning carbs and or protein remnants as fuel. Also if there is indeed issues with over-consumption of protein, it would apply to all peoples (maybe without as much obvious affect based on constitution) unilaterally no matter what percentage of their diet was carbs or fat if the quantities of protein were 'too much'.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 03:17:05 pm »
It doesn't matter if you're Raw Zero Plant either..

I meant that it is mainly  RZCers are really concerned re the protein issue due to rabbit starvation concerns. This is not a concern for people who are raw omnivorous, obviously. Though I suppose some raw vegans are concerned re too much protein.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 11:07:08 pm »
If you are RZPlant, you don't have to eat loads of fat either..
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:27 pm »
If you are RZPlant, you don't have to eat loads of fat either..
  Raw vegans are irrelevant to this forum, anyway.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 12:03:01 am »
  Raw vegans are irrelevant to this forum, anyway.

I mean: Raw Zero Plant, i.e Raw Obligate Carnivore.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 03:43:26 am »
You do need lots of raw fat on RZC, given rabbit starvation issues.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 06:36:20 am »
You don't need lots. Wtf is lots anyway? He's my uncle, that's who, and you don't need him if you're eating ROC. You just need a normal amount of fat... not 'lots'.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 02:43:52 pm »
You don't need lots. Wtf is lots anyway? He's my uncle, that's who, and you don't need him if you're eating ROC. You just need a normal amount of fat... not 'lots'.
Sorry but rabbit starvation is a real issue for RZCers. Stefansson mentioned it etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 09:12:25 pm »
Well, with 5% by mass and above would be fine, whilst 10%-20% would be perhaps ideal. I don't consider this 'lots' of fat. Some people seem to think 50% by mass and upwards is a required minimum. I'm not saying don't eat 50% or even 90% fat by mass, I'm just saying people need to know that even 5% would be fine. Then they can choose, knowing that, how much fat they want to eat. Rather than trying 50%, feeling bad, then increasing it and still feeling bad, and then giving up.. They should know that they can also go down, as far as 5% even.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:40:48 pm »
Well the RZCers usually cite 40 percent as the actual required minimum. Raw omnivores require much less fat of course.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:58:28 pm »
Raw omnivores require much less fat of course.
It depends.
I eat about 70% o fat by calories and I'm a rawpaleo omnivore.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 11:00:02 pm »
40% fat by calories is 7.7% by mass.

If you are eating plants, you can actually handle more fat than if you are not.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 11:05:38 pm »
If you are eating plants, you can actually handle more fat than if you are not.
That is true.
Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame, generally speaking. 
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk