Author Topic: prepare liver  (Read 9742 times)

Offline pelham32

• Forager
    • View Profile
prepare liver
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:19:33 am »
Hi everybody,

I'm not raw paleo, although it would be cool. I currently want to buy some raw organic beef liver to eat raw. I'm interested in its nutrition to use for my athletic and bodybuilding goals. What would be a good way to prepare or cut it to eat it in like 5 seconds in the morning after my workout. Before I have to show up for work. 

anythoughts or ideas much appreciated

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: prepare liver
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:41:02 am »
Cut it in cubes with scissors.
I use chopsticks or you can use your fingers.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:53 am »
Cut it in cubes with scissors.
I use chopsticks or you can use your fingers.

GS,
I wonder about flavouring something like liver etc. I know the organs are a good idea but they turn my stomach at this point. Maybe if they were fresh and still warm they'd be OK but what do you suggest regarding flavouring?
Cheers
Al

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:48:54 am »
hey pelham if you're going to be eating at home you could just use your hands and teeth/mouth. Of course it's different if you're not..

raw-al, just buy those organs in really tiny quantities, so you don't have to worry about wasting a load. Try it completely fresh the day you buy it, try it slowly, look at it/examine it and smell it, taste a tiny amount and get comfortable with it... Try some more etc... Also... you said you hardly eat any meat. Imagine an animal which would have the same amount of muscle as what you eat, then imagine the size of the other organs that animal would have. There is also that the balance of nutrition is spread across different parts of the animal, so if you're having an organ which is high in some nutrients but not others, if you haven't had the other parts(organs/glands etc..) that may be another reason for you not enjoying it.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:54:20 pm »
raw-al, just buy those organs in really tiny quantities, so you don't have to worry about wasting a load. Try it completely fresh the day you buy it, try it slowly, look at it/examine it and smell it, taste a tiny amount and get comfortable with it... Try some more etc... Also... you said you hardly eat any meat. Imagine an animal which would have the same amount of muscle as what you eat, then imagine the size of the other organs that animal would have. There is also that the balance of nutrition is spread across different parts of the animal, so if you're having an organ which is high in some nutrients but not others, if you haven't had the other parts(organs/glands etc..) that may be another reason for you not enjoying it.
Interesting logic. We bought some liver but only ate a small amount, but I see what you are saying that it be better to eat it proportionally.

BTW I eat less generally since I started this diet which I see as a good thing because it means I am satisfied with less. I do not feel deprived and am not eating less intentionally. I suspect that less eating is better because digestion like all processes requires energy.
Cheers
Al

Offline pelham32

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:42:02 pm »
hey pelham if you're going to be eating at home you could just use your hands and teeth/mouth. Of course it's different if you're not..

ahh thanks man,  But what do you mean buying in small quantities like have the butcher cut it like that, The only way i can get it would be frozen though :( I like your mindset on eating it. Like a wild ritual of eating. But no i won't be home really in a dorm on base cause i'm in the air force. So I guess i'll have it frozen, defrost it the night before, wake up lift come back eat a few slivers with raw eggs and head to work. i'm interested in the iron and vitamin A plus the really digestible protein liver has to offer.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:56:13 am »
Alan,
I've never particularly enjoyed the taste of liver either.  I've been eating this way for many years now including eating vast quantities of raw muscle meat.  I remember the early days when I used to force myself to eat an entire bowl of chopped raw liver and I was literally gagging!  I then progressed to blended liver drinks as the only way I could consistently eat it.  This consisted of blended tomatoes, liver, eggs, celtic sea salt, spices.  I no longer practice this either.

I include a little liver and heart in my diet each week now.  They are both from lamb.  I find lamb organs far more palatable than beef.  I now age them in my fridge by hanging them and slice them very thinly to eat in small quantities along with muscle meats.  Eaten this way, I need to add nothing but a little black pepper.  I consider them a delicacy like aged cheese now.  Actually, they taste quite similar!
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Susan

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • rohkostwiki.de
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:52:45 pm »
Liver is a very nutritious food. If you can eat only small amounts of it your body don't need more of this concentrated stuff. Never mix it with other food to overcome disgust otherwise you overload your system with substances you don't need.

If you want you can cut the liver in small peaces and dry it. I do this when I need to travel or when I have a meal with cooking friends. A peace of dryed liver istn't as disgusting for some people as fresh one and it is easy to eat outside the home.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:22:01 pm »
Hi everybody,

I'm not raw paleo, although it would be cool. I currently want to buy some raw organic beef liver to eat raw. I'm interested in its nutrition to use for my athletic and bodybuilding goals. What would be a good way to prepare or cut it to eat it in like 5 seconds in the morning after my workout. Before I have to show up for work. 

anythoughts or ideas much appreciated

I cut it into bite sizes and gulp it. If i eat enough of it (beyond 100-150g) at a time, I feel drunk for 15-20 minutes. In the beginning I reasoned that it was probably because I was completely washed out regarding minerals and vitamins from crap food. As it continued I have come to accept that this stuff is powerful stuff and should not be abused, so I rarely go beyond 100g a day and only for a week or so before i go another 3-4 without touching it.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 12:22:34 am »
I ate like 2.5 kilos of liver in a week. The stuff tastes like chocolate to me!
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 02:05:53 am »

Any side effects when you eat that much liver?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Susan

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • rohkostwiki.de
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 03:02:52 am »

Every week, the whole year long?  ???

It can be that I need about 1 kilo a week but not every week. When I  need liver it tastes for me like chocolate too. Like a sweet chocolate-cream. :) Today was such a day, I ate about 150g liver, a heart of a lamb and about 100g of breastmeat.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 10:02:29 am »
I buy a bunch of grass fed liver and grind it in a meat grinder. I add spices (onion, garlic, chile, salt etc.) and put the mix in 2 portion baggies, then freeze. I just warm the liver up to body temp and it tastes great. I eat quite a bit at a time and it makes me feel good.

I once butchered a fresh killed rabbit. The muscle meat was almost impossible to eat but the warm liver was wonderful. Indians would chase down a deer and go immediately for the liver. I was a good source of vitamin C.
Naturally, Don

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 06:39:30 pm »
Any side effects when you eat that much liver?

Nah didn't notice anything.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 06:43:49 pm »
Every week, the whole year long?  ???

No not every week. Every second order of meat I get a liver, the other order I get a heart. An order of meat lasts me about 2 weeks. So i eat the liver in a week then have none for about 3 weeks.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 12:28:57 am »
No not every week. Every second order of meat I get a liver, the other order I get a heart. An order of meat lasts me about 2 weeks. So i eat the liver in a week then have none for about 3 weeks.

Sounds sensible Haai and provides a good emulation of the manner in which it was probably eaten in paleo times.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 05:36:18 am »
Sounds sensible Haai and provides a good emulation of the manner in which it was probably eaten in paleo times.

Yeah I assume eating it every week in such large quantities would cause an overdose of something; vitamin A perhaps?
Although they say that the liver is one of the first things to be eaten when predators make a kill, don't they? If this is the case then wouldn't the dominant individual of the group, eg the dominant male of a lion pride or a wolf pack (which tends to eat first) eat the liver every time? And of course there are solitary predators like leopards and cheetahs. If they make a kill say two or three times per week then thats 2 or 3 good sized livers per week that they are eating.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 08:02:52 am »
I think most carnivore liver has toxic levels of Vit.A so I guess that means they eat a lot of liver themselves.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 06:21:45 pm »
WARNING: Do NOT eat liver from factory raised animals (all grocery store chicken, pork & beef). The animals are crowded into toxic living environments. The liver filters and concentrates these toxins. Grass fed/finished or wild animal liver is fine. More than fine, its a super-food.

A few generations back before corporations took control of our food supply, conventional wisdom said eat liver every week. Now scientists are warning the general public to be more moderate or abstinent.

All primitive human societies would share the most nutritious organs from a kill, with the choicest going to women of childbearing age. They knew from eons of experience. Survival of the fittest clan.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:33:20 pm by donrad »
Naturally, Don

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 04:52:41 pm »
Yeah I assume eating it every week in such large quantities would cause an overdose of something; vitamin A perhaps?

Yes, Vit A and copper toxicity would be the main ones to watch out for.

I think most carnivore liver has toxic levels of Vit.A so I guess that means they eat a lot of liver themselves.

That's an interesting line of thought miles.  I suppose, with limited Vit A production from consumption of Beta Carotene containing vegetation and limited other sources of Vitamin A, there could be some validity to your proposals.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 05:09:57 pm »
Yes, Vit A and copper toxicity would be the main ones to watch out for.
I don't think that we should worry about the copper toxicity.
Liver contains also quite a lot of zinc, which competes with copper for absorption in the digestive tract. So there should be a balance.
IMO only copper supplements could be dangereous.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk