Author Topic: Is this the truth about eskimos?  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Adam

• Forager
    • View Profile

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the truth about eskimos?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:41 pm »
It's hard to make concerete statements about the health of the prewestern food Eskimos because there is not all that much data on them.

...but he certainly tries. I live in a nation that has a long proud tradition of fucking up indigenous people all over the world. One of our victims, the lovely greenlandish people was in great health when we found them...and gave them firewater. boy did that ever change things. What people tend to forget about inuint people is that they by and large became addicted to alcohol and cigarettes. These things take a heavy toll.

The more animal protein you eat, the weaker your bones become.

Hogwash. Trials made with protein isolates on adult females going into menopause doesnt prove a whole lot since their bodies are undergoing a lot of change allready.

The more you study Eskimo culture, the more you realize it was never free from disease

what culture is/was? Disease has other causes than food alone.

The Eskimos were very familiar with constipation due to their low-fiber diet, and they created the spirit Matshishkapeu, the most powerful spirit in their mythology, to embody it.  The spirit's name literally translates into "Fart Man." In Inuit stories, he is known to inflict painful cases of constipation upon people and other gods (7).

hmmmm....

In Innu mythology, Matshishkapeu (literally the "Fart Man") is the most powerful spirit—even more powerful than the Caribou Master, Kanipinikassikueu. He proved himself when the Kanipinikassikueu refused to give the Innu any caribou to eat. Matshishkapeu was so angry that he cursed the Caribou Master with a painful case of constipation. Finally, the Kanipinikassikueu relented, and Matshishkapeu then cured him of his ailment.[1]

"oh so you wont give me RAINDEER MEAT to eat? here stomache ache for you biotch" Me thinks the message was probably something else than our well intended vegan wants to imply.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:48:10 pm »
Regarding the claim about fast aging: a big factor which probably contributes to this, is the harsh environment in which the Eskimos live.

The article is right that most of human evolution took place in Africa, and not northern climates. But we've been eating meat in Africa for a very long time. Loren Cordain, Boyd Eaton, and Staffan Lindeberg have written a lot about this topic, and say that we've been hunting for 1-2 million years.

The undeniable fact is, that in the long term, most if not all vegans become malnourished. This evidence is 1000x stronger than any anthropology or ethnology studies. It's clear that humans have adapted to meat, to the point that lack of meat leads to poor health. We may not need to eat a lot of meat, but we definitely need some animal products, and anybody who thinks otherwise is simply deluded.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:02:54 pm »
It is kinda true but it is filled with vegan rhetoric.

The Inuits do have a some what shorter lifespan then average(60 is the average I think) but they live extremely hard life's in temperatures that often reach sub zero. 

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:00:43 pm »
People shouldn't get so hung up on diets.

There is so much seeking of the "perfect diet", I know that because I've been there. I've tried every diet out there.

My conclusion; There is no such thing as the right diet. I try a lot of things and try to find what agrees with me the most.

My latest experiment is meat and milk only, quoting Vilhjálmur Stefánsson it is the right diet for Icelandic people and is most certainly something they've been feeding on for a long time.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk