Author Topic: Raw eggs  (Read 10480 times)

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Raw eggs
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:09:24 pm »
Hi,

I want to add raw eggs to my already increasing raw diet.

However I am concerned about Salmonella, mainly because I can currently only get Organic Free-range eggs from the supermarket (Tesco). It says on the box that the chickens are vaccinated against Salmonella, which I guess is not the best of moves!

What is the general opinion on this?

Is it not worth the risk, unless I can find a good local supplier?
Or would you go for the raw option over cooked even with supermarket eggs?

Cheers

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Raw eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:45:52 pm »
I personally don't consider supermarket eggs as real eggs.  They're fake.  No sperm.

Maybe the other guys can help you with sourcing real eggs.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:23:34 pm »
I'm consuming supermarket eggs and I am suspecting that the egg yolks are making my face look puffy. I can't think of any other foods right now..

Is it possible to be intolerant to raw egg yolk or any hormones in the yolk causing the facial puffiness ? I have been consuming free range and cage eggs on and off.

For the thread poster. I have never gotten ill from consuming supermarket cage eggs. Although I always was the shells before cracking them.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:32:04 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Anyone else any thoughts on this matter?

I am going to have a look round for some decent eggs.

What am I looking for?

And what to avoid?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:24:08 pm by technosmith »

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:34:08 pm »
I personally don't consider supermarket eggs as real eggs.  They're fake.  No sperm.

Maybe the other guys can help you with sourcing real eggs.

How do you know if eggs have been fertilised, and what is the difference?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:51:42 pm »
Many times I can see a red spot of blood.  A sign of the beginnings of life.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 01:55:34 pm »
Supermarket eggs are of inferior quality to pasture raised ones. It's upto you whether you want to eat them. I've experimented with eating organic, cage free eggs but the yolk part tastes bitter raw, compared to the pasture raised one which has a pleasant taste to it.

Now, that said, I don't think you need to worry about salmonella from the organic eggs. Experiment with it, and depending on if you have access to other quality food, I would only eat
those eggs occasionally, and not as a staple.

I once contacted an organic egg farmer and I asked him some questions, he said sometimes they roast their soy grains before giving it to the hens. I also inferred from what else he said that they do not go outside much.....and a bunch of hens crammed into a henhouse does not seem healthy.

Now, I personally..have access to pastured eggs. If I didn't have access to it, I might experiment with the organic eggs and try them, but I wouldn't want to use them as a staple.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:11:55 pm »
There is a simple way to tell the quality of an egg. The eggwhite. If it is slimy and thick, down with it. If it is runny or water like, dont touch...

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:27:51 pm »
There is a simple way to tell the quality of an egg. The eggwhite. If it is slimy and thick, down with it. If it is runny or water like, dont touch...
That generally only tells you the freshness of the egg.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 02:41:07 pm »
That generally only tells you the freshness of the egg.

I have another experience. The supermarked cage ones are always runny, regardless of how fresh they are.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »
I have another experience. The supermarked cage ones are always runny, regardless of how fresh they are.
Lol I guess that says something about the freshness of super market eggs.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 03:07:46 pm »
 ;D

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 05:44:19 am »
I add raw eggs to a smoothie every morning.

Cage free, organic, and free range are all terms that don't mean much. The chickens can still be crammed into a building and never see the light of day. Look for "pastured" on the carton.

I drive out to the country and get my eggs from a farmer and can see the chickens running around the farm eating bugs. The yoaks are dark orange. I'm lucky.
Naturally, Don

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 06:09:59 am »
I can get hold of high quality pastured eggs, I'm lucky too. In my opinion regular eggs aren't worth it. I would go for beef fat, even if grainfed.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 10:28:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Offline Alomonger Pete

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 05:13:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
Hey technosmith; have you managed to track down any pastured eggs here in the UK?

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 10:21:47 pm »
Hey,

I have found a couple of local 'farmers', who are selling free range eggs.

However, I am still unsure as regards freshness, and what they are feeding the chickens, so not doing the raw egg thing until I get those answers.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 10:49:31 pm »
Don’t worry about freshness, some people like very old raw eggs. Their taste is very different from fresh ones and different from one specimen to the other: some rot and get very bad but some may be tasty and therefore good. So, you may either like it or dislike it according to your own particular metabolism and body needs.

But all the farmers feed their hens with industrial chicken fodder and/or heated grain and even wheat and/or old bread and cooked leftovers. That makes their eggs unsuitable for us.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 12:02:42 am »
Hi Iguana,

So you are saying that freshness is kind of irrelevant when it comes to raw eggs, but don't eat them anyway because of what the chickens are fed on.

Right?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 12:25:22 am »
Right!

We have to find someone who supplements his free range poultry with raw stuff only, or else have our own poultry. We may perhaps eat once in way one or two commercial free range organic eggs, but not often and not many, unfortunately.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 01:39:22 am »
Hey Iguana,

Just wondered, I am going to be getting some fish to eat raw from a local fishmonger, however I am unsure of the quality and freshness of the stuff I am buying (Tuna, Swordfish, Mackerel).

Would you take an precautionary measures, such as freezing for 14days/ soaking in lemon juice, prior to eating?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 02:22:14 am »
I don't consume fish that has been frozen, so I just ask whether its fresh or defrosted. On Tuesdays, fish is generally fresh, otherwise it's from last week and they should not sell it. Anyway, you can also ask the fishmonger when the fish arrived. Tuna, swordfish and mackerel are wild fish, so in principle it's ok.

In instincto we do not mix different stuff, hence no soaking in lemon nor anything added. This way we feel rather exactly what and how much to eat and we don't eat something we shouldn't eat - just like our far ancestors did and how animals still do in nature.
 ;)

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 02:31:15 am »
Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 05:41:46 am »
In instincto we do not mix different stuff, hence no soaking in lemon nor anything added. This way we feel rather exactly what and how much to eat and we don't eat something we shouldn't eat - just like our far ancestors did and how animals still do in nature.
 ;)

I've always just seen that as a part of paleo in general.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk