Author Topic: 22 kg fatty male mutton  (Read 25259 times)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
22 kg fatty male mutton
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:25:46 pm »
That's how it looks like -

Isn't it delicious? :)
The ram had eaten grass, herbs, wild fruits, etc.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: 22 kg fatty male mutton
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 02:27:21 pm »
That's how it looks like -

Isn't it delicious? :)
The ram had eaten grass, herbs, wild fruits, etc.

That's great, thank you.  I thought mutton was less fatty than lamb??  What fruits do they eat?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »
  What fruits do they eat?
Wild pears, apples, berries.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 02:33:57 pm »
I thought mutton was less fatty than lamb??  
No, it's definitely more fatty than lamb. The older the more fatty the sheep is.
Besides the ram was killed in the half of the September - it's a perfect time to do it.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:46:59 pm »
You seem to have access to some amazing foods there Hannibal what with this beautiful mutton and the lamb's testicles etc in your other pic!  Such quantities too!!  I'm a touch envious! :)  Is it easy to obtain such an array of grass-fed animal foods in Poland?  Do you buy from local farms, butchers, markets or online?
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 03:55:10 pm »
Is it easy to obtain such an array of grass-fed animal foods in Poland?  Do you buy from local farms, butchers, markets or online?
It's easy when you know where to buy. ;)
I've got a friend, who is a Muslim and comes from Dagestan. He has got natural farm, with lots of grass, herbs, some wild fruits in the season. He is very committed to that kind of farming -  the more natural the better :)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 03:58:39 pm »
How long do you reckon 22kg will last you?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »
How long do you reckon 22kg will last you?
I guess - about one month

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:07:08 pm »
Wild pears, apples, berries.

Thanks!

No, it's definitely more fatty than lamb. The older the more fatty the sheep is.
Besides the ram was killed in the half of the September - it's a perfect time to do it.

I know here on forum it is explained that when an animal gets older, it grows fat under it's skin oven the muscled on the back, most animals, right?  But I read on Dr D'Adamo's site that mutton is almost fatless, while lamb is fatty.  I realize he can be wrong in things, but as far as I knew (which was nothing) he was right in that.  Also in the following links:

http://www.elook.org/nutrition/lamb/4272.html

http://www.elook.org/nutrition/ethnic/5484.html

..basically the same as D'Adamo.  Pictures speak better though, by people who eat meat.  D'Adamo has type A blood, and his theory dictates he can't eat meat.  He probably never saw mutton.

Yeah, I know it makes sense in the Northern hemisphere to slaughter in Autumn.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 04:15:29 pm »
I've got a friend, who is a Muslim and comes from Dagestan. He has got natural farm, with lots of grass, herbs, some wild fruits in the season. He is very committed to that kind of farming

I've had only very good experiences at halal stores, Egyptian/American etc, grassfed meat and fat, organs, not expensive, goat etc.

I heard here in the town I'm presently in you have to buy a whole animal at slaughter.  I have not asked directly yet though.  I brought a devout Muslim neighbor man to the farm I get chickens at sometimes.  He found the chicken the way they raised it/the quality very acceptable and bought and will buy meat there again, as the chicken he normally gets does not seem the same, and he has food sensitivities..

I never heard of Dagestan.  Learn something new every day.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 04:21:12 pm »
I has got type A blood and I devour meat. ;)
The full-grown sheep of my friend farmer, Abdul, are fatty, so the mutton is fatty, esp. at the end of the summer and at the begging of the fall.
He doesn't kill lambs - they are lean and haven't got much meat.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 12:04:06 am »
It's easy when you know where to buy. ;)
I've got a friend, who is a Muslim and comes from Dagestan. He has got natural farm, with lots of grass, herbs, some wild fruits in the season. He is very committed to that kind of farming -  the more natural the better :)

Sounds like heaven on earth Hannibal!  I need to get myself some Muslim friends, obviously.  Do Muslims, and people from that region in general, have a tendancy towards natural farming?  I hadn't heard of this but it sounds very interesting.  You're very fortunate to have access to such wonderful food!

22kg sounds like about a months supply to me too.  I usually order my meats fortnightly but have just placed my first monthly order with my supplier now that I have my new meat hanging/aging fridge set up.  I've ordered 20kg lamb plus liver and hearts.

I has got type A blood and I devour meat. ;)

Glad to hear it.  I think there may be some basis of truth with Peter D'Adamo's early work but I think most of it is money-motivated nonsense.

The full-grown sheep of my friend farmer, Abdul, are fatty, so the mutton is fatty, esp. at the end of the summer and at the begging of the fall.
He doesn't kill lambs - they are lean and haven't got much meat.

I tend to eat lamb as my mainstay meat.  The breast cuts that I get are extremely fatty - sometimes consisting of very little actual meat!  The mutton is much harder to obtain but when I do it hasn't appeared to be as fatty as the lamb ordinarily.  However, this could well be due to the season of slaughter/purchase which I haven't closely monitored.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 01:21:06 am »
The problem re buying meats from most Muslims is that they  practice halal which means letting the blood out from the carcass after slaughter. IMO, the blood is part of what makes the meat taste great.

I once tried to get hold of high quality grassfed meats from a number of local halal butchers, as I'd hoped they would have higher quality meats. Not one of them had the remotest clue what I was talking about and clearly just sold low-grade supermarket meat which had been slaughtered halal-style, nothing more.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 02:39:01 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on that TD.  Perhaps it wouldn't prove as fruitful here in the UK as I was beginning to hope in that case.  We seem to really struggle for quality foods here in the UK compared to our compatriots!

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 03:13:08 am »
The problem re buying meats from most Muslims is that they  practice halal which means letting the blood out from the carcass after slaughter. IMO, the blood is part of what makes the meat taste great.
IMO the meat is better when the blood is let out.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 04:34:38 pm »
IMO the meat is better when the blood is let out.
Not my experience. I find the taste of raw wild hare is far better because it's still full of blood whereas other wild game that had been partially bled out a bit tastes not as good. The worst food I've ever tasted was white veal meat in France which was , of course, intensively farmed, and so free of blood that I think it came from the kosher/halal industry, originally.

I haven't, of course, been a regular consumer of kosher/halal meats but I recall Tony Robbins mentioning how kosher/halal meat is tasteless once the blood goes from it, and others have mentioned the same. Admittedly, Robbins  is a semi-vegan
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »
Goat meat and mutton from my friend Abdul is definitely not bland. Its taste and flavour is very distinct.
Once he had some cuts of beef and the blood wasn't let out - the beef wasn't good.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 04:26:04 am »
Wow, no grains needed to make em that fat?

Cool!

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 04:29:28 am »
I like the blood in meat too. The bison I get seems to have it. I don"t know why. I wonder how north star slaughters them.

Our ancestors would have likely never cut the throat of an animal. Might have speared it in the neck though, causing similar results as slicing the throat. .

Edit: I think north star just freezes it right away. At least the ones I get frozen from the store. Fresh meat sits on those absorption packs, soaking up much of the juice and/or blood inside the meat that runs out.

Which is why I like to choose the meat with the darkest red color.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 05:07:27 am »
in my farm that's the way i'd raise my animals. all wild fruits and grass they will graze on. most of the time, i don't even rinse the red meat to eat. i just take them with the blood. with ground meat, it's even worse. so, i stop eating them for good.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 02:30:30 pm »
Only in the winter as it is impossible for them to feed only on hay.
But that fat is made during spring and esp. summer when they live only off the land.
Our ancestors would have likely never cut the throat of an animal.
Why not? Look at the way the carnivores kill their victims.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 04:21:18 pm »
Why not? Look at the way the carnivores kill their victims.
Carnivores usually just choke their prey to death.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 09:27:43 pm »

Cool!
in third world, farmers are too poor to feed the animal grains. so ultimately they don't eat grain. lambs or goats are huge storage of ultimate  fats .
bugs or country chickens

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 10:59:23 pm »
in third world
Gee, thnx. Poland isn't a third world ;)
lambs or goats are huge storage of ultimate  fats
The goats aren't definitely fatty. They devour huge amounts of plants, but they would never get fatty. They're similar to roe deers - they all are very lean.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 12:35:24 am »
Gee, thnx. Poland isn't a third world ;)The goats aren't definitely fatty. They devour huge amounts of plants, but they would never get fatty. They're similar to roe deers - they all are very lean.

well, i know about lamb and goat from south east asia. they just graze wild grass and other things. lambs are very fatty there and people don't like to eat fatty meat.
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk