Author Topic: 22 kg fatty male mutton  (Read 25234 times)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: 22 kg fatty male mutton
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 07:04:15 pm »
After 2 weeks it's quite high ;)
The smell is really strong
Yet the taste is good.

I gave my dog some morsel -

Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »
Airing

I keep these big jars over here -

Covered -

Offline Viola

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »
 :) cool !
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:12:45 am by Viola »

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 04:07:24 am »
Nice pics Hannibal!  Are those photos taken where you live?  It looks like heaven to me - a rustic wood store in the forest! :)  How cool!  I hope you weren't thinking of cooking that meat on the fire in the background?!  ;)

Do you consider the high lamb in the pic as fatty or lean?  It looks quite fatty to me.  I'll have to get a photo up of the lamb breasts I eat, and consider fatty, to compare.

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 04:22:17 am »
Nice pics Hannibal!  Are those photos taken where you live?  It looks like heaven to me - a rustic wood store in the forest! :) 
That's my second home, the best home. I live there practically the whole summertime and now I go there thice a week or at leat once a week. 
I hope you weren't thinking of cooking that meat on the fire in the background?!  ;)
Of course not. :)
Do you consider the high lamb in the pic as fatty or lean?  It looks quite fatty to me.

Definitely fatty. This ram's mutton is very fatty.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 04:47:03 am »
Wow!  You're most fortunate Hannibal.  If I had a home like that it would most definitely be my FIRST home!  It must be wonderful to have such an idyllic escape for the duration of summer and a period of time each week.

Ah, that was the mutton meat!  That explains it.  I thought perhaps our interpretation of what represents 'fatty' was somewhat skewed!  :)  I think the lamb I get is fattier but would certainly describe your high mutton as fatty too! :)

BTW, interesting method of producing your high meat.  Are the delightful creatures of the forest not attracted to your buried treasure?  Or is that part of a cunning plan which would see them, too, served up as the next batch?! ;)
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 05:02:16 am »
BTW, interesting method of producing your high meat.  Are the delightful creatures of the forest not attracted to your buried treasure?  Or is that part of a cunning plan which would see them, too, served up as the next batch?! ;)

;D Thats exactly what I was thinking when I looked at the pics...If I did that where I am the racoons would lift the cover and open the cans and gorge on the high meat (their little hands can do everything). Then next day I'll be left with no meat and a bunch of high racoons running around...at which point I would think of eating the racoons to get back at them (then I would get high-meat-fed racoon meat, what a treat), but I just can't get over their cuteness so I may not kill them ha ha

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 05:51:39 am »
ha ha  :D  Brilliant!  High-meat-fed racoon meat.  That would surely take some beating?!  :)  But, I agree, they are probably too cute to kill.

If I did that where I am the racoons would lift the cover and open the cans and gorge on the high meat (their little hands can do everything).

I remember when I was living in an eco-community of strawbale houses, yurts etc in the middle of a 50 acre woodland in SW England.  My partner and I had been told tales of badgers going to such great lengths to get at bags of sugar as sneaking into member's abodes, removing heavy items placed on top of trunks, opening the trunk and stealing the discovered bag of sugar!  We were also told they could bite clean through a human leg bone if startled!!  Needless to say, panic set in when we heard them bustling around at the foot of our bed late one night!!  :)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 08:29:24 am »

Tinker's Bubble? Btw, 50 acres is tiny, right?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 01:44:41 pm »
Wow!  You're most fortunate Hannibal.  If I had a home like that it would most definitely be my FIRST home!  It must be wonderful to have such an idyllic escape for the duration of summer and a period of time each week.
Yes, indeed, that's my heaven. :)
Look at these pics - http://maciek-tyfel.fotosik.pl/slideshow.php?id=782444&type=album&add1=maciek-tyfel
Ah, that was the mutton meat!  That explains it.  I thought perhaps our interpretation of what represents 'fatty' was somewhat skewed!  :)  I think the lamb I get is fattier but would certainly describe your high mutton as fatty too! :)
At the beginning of this topic I put some pics of the fresh cuts - http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/22-kg-fatty-male-mutton/msg47535/#msg47535
I really don't think that your lamb could be more fatty than my mutton. ;)
BTW, interesting method of producing your high meat.

It's not that I'm making that high meat purposely. I'm just storing that mutton in this place behind the garage, as it's convenient re intimidating smell.
I think that it will eat the whole batch of the meat to the end of October.
Are the delightful creatures of the forest not attracted to your buried treasure?
They're definitely attracted to that smell.
But what they could do? Nothing  8) 

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 01:48:59 pm »
If I did that where I am the racoons would lift the cover and open the cans and gorge on the high meat (their little hands can do everything).
Maybe that would be true, but I've got comfort, as there aren't any racoons over there; they're don't live in Poland. :)

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 05:39:22 pm »
Tinker's Bubble? Btw, 50 acres is tiny, right?

Bingo!  How you managed to determine that from my description miles I am at a loss to know!  Well done!  Have you ever stayed there?  It's a magical place.  Unfortunately, this was 13 years ago that I stayed and long before my RAF days.  In fact, I was still vegetarian!  I was suffering with totally disabling hay fever during my stay which made it almost unbearable.  Of course, I haven't had the slightest sign of hay fever for years now.

Fifty acres is quite a large area and was certainly sufficient to provide the requirements of the 20 or so adults and children living there.  Fruit/veg gardens, pigs, goats and a sustainable supply of timber (cut in their own developed steam powered sawmill!  I wonder what the place is like now?  I would expect that it's moved on significantly.

Maybe that would be true, but I've got comfort, as there aren't any racoons over there; they're don't live in Poland. :)

Do you get badgers or similar scavenging pests?

Ah, yes.  I forgot about those pictures of your fresh mutton.  I think we could declare it a draw!  :)  I now recall thinking at the time that your mutton picture where you're holding it on the balcony looks very similar to the lamb breasts that I buy.

So you're just storing your meat in the ground?  That's wonderfully paleo (apart from the glass jars obviously!).  I hope you're right and that the forest creatures don't get there before you!  :)

Yes, indeed, that's my heaven.
Look at these pics - http://maciek-tyfel.fotosik.pl/slideshow.php?id=782444&type=album&add1=maciek-tyfel

Stunning Hannibal!  Is that all your own private land/woodland?!  You appear quite young still.  If you don't mind me asking - what do you do for a living to be able to afford such a wonderful '2nd' home?!  How much would something like that cost in Poland?  Perhaps I need to relocate to Eastern Europe?!

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 01:10:40 pm »
Do you get badgers or similar scavenging pests?
Yes, I do, e.g. badgers, foxes. Scavening birds that live there are ravens and crows. I love ravens  8)
Stunning Hannibal!  Is that all your own private land/woodland?!  You appear quite young still.  If you don't mind me asking - what do you do for a living to be able to afford such a wonderful '2nd' home?!  How much would something like that cost in Poland?  Perhaps I need to relocate to Eastern Europe?!
That land had been bought by my grand grand father in 1926.
That land is about 4,5 hectares; it consists of forest, garden, orchards and large meadow. My father is now the owner, but I'm the only heir, successor.
The cost of that land is app. 1,5 million euro. ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:17:14 pm by Hannibal »

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 03:29:03 am »
Scavening birds that live there are ravens and crows. I love ravens  8)
To eat or watch!?   ???

That land had been bought by my grand grand father in 1926.
That land is about 4,5 hectares; it consists of forest, garden, orchards and large meadow. My father is now the owner, but I'm the only heir, successor.
The cost of that land is app. 1,5 million euro. ;)
Wow!  You're very fortunate Hannibal!  I guess that swiftly ends any thoughts I may of had about relocating! :)  Such an inheritance would serve well as the first raw paleo community as discussed in another thread?!?  How do you feel about opening it up for such a venture?!!  8) ;)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:26 am »
How do you feel about opening it up for such a venture?!!  8) ;)
Definitely!  :)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 02:38:53 am »
The same mutton, but older (over 3-weeks-old) ;)

Offline TylerVo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 10:56:38 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on that TD.  Perhaps it wouldn't prove as fruitful here in the UK as I was beginning to hope in that case.  We seem to really struggle for quality foods here in the UK compared to our compatriots!

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:59 pm »
The UK isn't a paradise for raw food like the Phillippines seems to be, but it's pretty good.

Grass fed small farms if you do your homework, seafood, many fruits, grass fed lamb available at most supermarkets, reasonably priced game, cheap ethnic goat meat etc

OK it would be nice to have Slankers meat on tap etc, but many countries are a lot worse.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk