Author Topic: School Sucks  (Read 10120 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
School Sucks
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:19:33 am »
I don't think learning and teaching sucks, I just think one should learn all he needs to know by family and friends.
College sucks, this may be my first and last semester.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: School Sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:30:32 am »
I taught myself webdesign, programming and graphic design in my SPARE time from school, because they didn't teach anything useful to me there, too much theory not enough applied, making-money stuff.
I quit university because I was sick of school too, and now I work in webdesign and web project management while people are taking webdesign in school and can't even get a decent job because they don't know how, so they work in a restaurant. While they were still going to school I worked in a bar and got my first webdesign clients there because drunk businessmen like to yap and thats how I made contacts while some people were sitting in school.
I think for certain things you need school (like I don't think you should practice being a surgeon on your own lol, hunny can I try something just lie down ha ha), but too much school not cool, for life. You should go to school if you still need to find what you're good at, or you don't know how to work independently yet, or for certain highly technical things. Like need anything extra, I can have a company I work for pay for a quick course instead, so far I never had to do that.
My friend asked me if I miss being in school, I was like "huh"... no way man, I enjoy learning on my own or through working.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:41:12 am »
I don't think learning and teaching sucks, I just think one should learn all he needs to know by family and friends.

You might want to look at school for your network, friends, connections.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:05:42 am »
You should go to school if you still need to find what you're good at, or you don't know how to work independently yet, or for certain highly technical things.
I agree with this.
Some people benefit tremendously from the way classes are taught in a college. Some benefit from vocational training. Some do best diving in headfirst and learning in the field.

I went to college because it was what you did after high school. I was certainly smart enough for it (albeit lazy) but had no desire to go. I did a couple semesters at a local community college but eventually stopped so I could work fulltime. I did go back a couple years later to study other courses but I have a harder time learning in a classroom than I do with life so left again without a degree. The brain fog from my Candida didn't help make things easier while attending.
I do have to give credit where it is due; I found drafting, and by way of that the architecture I do now, by way of college. It gave me direction but I did not need to sequester myself there for years to earn a piece of paper.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:50:51 am »
ALL education, especially college-level, is an opportunity!  College is what YOU make of it, and what you learn in the classrooms is only surface deep of what your overall experience can be.  I never heard of anyone regretting going to college, the only people I hear downplaying any educational opportunity are those that didn't pursue one. 

When you find the subject matter that resonates for you, you'll see differently.  I hope you'll consider a little more time before leaving?

Sitting OTOH is what does suck :)    I can hardly be still for a few minutes!

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:04 am »
bill gates did not like college either, so he dropped out.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:36:48 am »
bill gates is VERY pro-acedemia.. he started at Harvard for god sake!   he dropped out because college was getting in the way of his business ventures and success. 

at least know what is the exception and what is the 'rule'.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:51:23 am »
ALL education, especially college-level, is an opportunity!  College is what YOU make of it,
I met nice people and its ok.

But I really should be feeding my true nature, hunting. And living many people who care about me. That's all that matters in life too me.
College isn't helping me reach my goal at all.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:31:47 pm »
sully, i do understand you agony some how, 'cause i also hated college and i finished this against my mind. my cultural, social back ground is very different than average american children. my parents put me in school to become a doctor, and that's the way my all relatives are medical doctors here. some point i do see that they make enough money to have a very comfortable life. if your focus to make money, than better be careful with the major you're taking in college. i have seen other college graduate who are barely making money after 4/5 yrs investment. here money is important, so, you can achieve your freedom and can do what you like to do. unless, someone is born in a family where there is unlimited money.

here the country of freedom. so, you don't need to go to college if you know how to success by your own. in some level, me and my husband are both agree that college is more important to get connected with other people. also we know very well that, if you attend harvard or yale, you can get more opportunity to meet people with money. not all the time harvard or yale's students are smart. they get easily A or B in the class, 'cause they spend too much for each semester.

i think you're extremely smart and good enough to make your own decision. follow your heart. just be little practical. when i was 16, i think someway and when i truned 26 , my thought dramatically change. whatever you decide to do, my prayer is with you. :)
bugs or country chickens

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »
But I really should be feeding my true nature, hunting. And living many people who care about me. That's all that matters in life too me.
College isn't helping me reach my goal at all.
I'm the same as you. ;)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »

School does not suck. The schooling system sucks donkey balls. I could ofcourse go out on a tangent as usual (and I am going to) but late G.Carlin (bless his soul) said it better than anyone I have ever heard:;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpcd0woY2KY
(*) applies on a global scale

[tangent]The reality is that you live in this very system and without the right papers you're basically fucked. Most of the selv taught people who fail, does not fail because of their lack of talent or hard work, but because the system is set up to combat them. Those most lucky make it and bless them and their luck too, but it is foolish to rely on luck without anything to "fall back" to IMHO[/tangent]

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:49:07 pm »
Schools not for everyone. But yes, college does suck, but it's neccessary for university, where learning becomes more fun.

Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 10:49:35 pm »
Depending on your interests in earning a living, college, or even graduate school, can open a lot of doors. The social networking makes for good opportunities as well. You don't have to be the best student in the world to benefit from what college offers. Jump through the hoops, get your ticket punched, and while you're there, learn in spite of the curriculum. The more options you have the more protected you are intterms of security for yourself and family.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:36:46 pm »
The issue is one of understanding what a college degree represents. George Carlin is correct.  In our modern world the educational focus is to teach us to work for someone else.  This means that every year thousands of young people are loosed on the job market and employers must find a way to filter the crowd of applicants down to a manageable number. 

For technical jobs there is often a test given to determine the applicant's knowledge and skill level in the specific discipline. If you can pass the test, then you are considered competent to compete for the open position.  If you can’t pass the test then you are filtered out of the selection process. A key point here is that no one cares how you got the skill. No proof of 'formal' education is required other than a High School diploma which is a minimum level of education to demonstrate that you should be able to read, write, and do simple arithmatic.

However, for management, support staff, and administrative positions the skills sought after are often broad and difficult to measure, like report writing, oral presentations, computer expertise, ability and willingness to blindly follow instructions from 'upper management', and other ‘soft’ skills.  The ‘Degree’ is used in place of a specific skills test to filter applicants.  The assumption is that those who have ‘earned’ a degree have had to successfully perform the desired functions or possess most or all of the desired traits.  After all, there is little difference between an academic institution and a large corporation.  The student is little more than an employee required to fulfill specific assigned tasks to the professor's or supervisor's satisfaction.  The only difference is that in the university we pay for the privilege of being graded on our willingness to submit and bend to the will of others, rather than being paid for this sacrifice.  In both the academic and corporate worlds the individual is much like a member of the Borg on StarTrek.  They must fit seamlessly into the whole organism and have little ambition other than to help the whole achieve its goals.

I do not have a college degree but I do have a marketable skill and trade which I was passionate about.  I earned a very good living when I was working and had no trouble advancing to first line supervision where my technical skills were still needed to do the job.  However, even though I worked for the same company for 33 years, I could not advance into a position with a title of Manager unless I was willing to get a degree, as this was the primary filter used to exclude applicants.  The focus of a technical worker or supervisor in a technical field revolves around the technical discipline.  The focus of a manager is attending meetings, creating and managing budgets, preparing and giving presentations and other activities where technical skills are at best secondary or not needed at all.

I’ve been very fortunate and quite happy with the career choices I made throughout my working life.  One thing I would caution you young folks about is that as you get older your desires will evolve and change.  What you thought was important in your 20’s will not be your priority in your 30’s, and your priorities will change roughly every decade for the rest of your life.  Don’t assume that because you have no interest in something today, that that same issue won’t be important to you tomorrow.  You may not feel now that a degree will open many doors of interest for you, but it can keep doors from closing as your future unfolds and your life priorities evolve and change.

Edit:  Another thing of interest for many of you may be how I handled my children’s education.  My focus was on their learning to read and write well (at least 12th grade level) and understand math up to and including algebra.  To me this gave them the foundation to become or do whatever they wanted in life.  I didn’t even suggest that they go to college, but made sure they had the skills to succeed if this is the route they chose.  As it turned out, my son didn’t like school and decided to join the military upon graduating from high school.  He just retired from the Navy after 21 years.  My daughter decided to go to college and get a degree in Marketing.  Upon graduating she went to work for Robert Schuller at the Crystal Cathedral and has been the director of marketing for the Hour of Power television program for about 15 years.  I also insisted that my children pay their own way through college if they chose to take that route.  I felt that the commitment to continue their education should be strong enough for them to be willing to pay for it themselves.  This made sure that the academic experience would be properly focused on gaining the necessary skills to succeed in their chosen discipline and not on frat parties and social events.  When you pay for something yourself, you tend to want to get your money’s worth.

Lex
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:33:15 am by lex_rooker »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 12:03:52 am »
 Public schools where I hail from are abominable and I dropped out of high school.
I read books and had to piece together a bit of classical education on my own. If I were to have only releyed on what was taught I would of never been able to learn true wisdom.

I read a book by This guy called "dumbing us down"He was a teacher who learned the secrete that public education was highjacked by the industrialist and steered it toward developing mindless workers and not the development of great thinkers. He also wrote "the history of education in America" Where he explains how this was accomplished against the will of the people. The children are take from the family and turned into educated idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz9_o76zYQ8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1kgSlLawyQ&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:21:47 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 12:20:24 am »

School is usually a mind numbing institution.

It's interesting how our IQ has increased but the school system has not adapted. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWTYP6rcn30

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:13 am »
I would appreciate it if we could continue on with this topic, as I am in the same boat, would hate to make a stupid decision.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 08:28:12 am »
I love learning. Classes with the mediocre? No. I just finished my Paralegal Certificate (to add to my resume; I've been a Paralegal for 7 years now) entirely online. I love learning independently.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:30 am »
The new trend in IQ actually shows an across the board decline in overall intelligence of the younger generation, even though they receive more schooling than any previous era. We may have passed the tipping point where improvements in technology and standard of living can no longer make up for the efforts of the educators to subdue the great minds and force mediocrity upon us
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 07:58:35 pm »
The fact that you youngons feel a natural loathing to the system is a sign of your mental health. Rejoice in that fact and bite your teeth together and get it over with. And listen to Lex (and many others, he just resonated with my own views), he speaks with the authority of well concidered wisdom.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 12:46:54 am »
I would appreciate it if we could continue on with this topic, as I am in the same boat, would hate to make a stupid decision.

If you hesitate about your decision or are not sure what to do then school is still for you....
Once you are ready to be independent from school you WILL know your decision is not stupid because you will KNOW what your doing.

I'll give myself as example, once I got to university I could do much better websites and design then people I knew who already had a design degree, meaning I could ALREADY do it at a highly-professional level by teaching it to myself for many years and having some talent to start, THATS when I knew school is not for me anymore... Also the fact that you can be a designer without any degree, they usually only care about your portfolio, they don't care if you learned it on the moon or from a homeless guy as long as you have the magic touch. HOWEVER some positions REQUIRE some kind of degree so should should know that when you know what you want to be doing and THEN you won't hesitate about your decision because you would have hopefully researched what you want to do.

But I do not regret the time spent in school in any way! Also remember if you stopped school and you think you need more school you can always go back to school - its not the end of the world. You're not banned forever if you quit school lol

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 01:20:19 am »
And listen to Lex (and many others, he just resonated with my own views), he speaks with the authority of well concidered wisdom.

Thanks for the nice compliment and I'd love to think that I've gained some wisdom along the way, but the truth is, my comments come from hard earned experinece.  I spent the last 10 years of my career with a Forturne 500 company in a position that reqired me to hire, fire, and promote people.  It is so sad to see very bright young people who just want a chance to show what they can do, denied the opportunity because they made a poor choice regarding their education early in their lives.

I would often take a risk and hire a 20 something with no formal education because they were bright and had great potential.  I always counseled them that I could hire them, but they had to work to meet the qualifications to stay on the payroll and advance, and in most cases this meant continuing their formal education - either a trade school or even one of the diploma mills like University of Phoenix, or both - especially if they ever wanted to go into the management ranks.  I'm proud to say that more than 80% took my advice and most of those are still with the company and many have achieved greater monetary success and higher positions than I ever held.

You may think that school sucks now, but imagine what it will be like if, to keep your job or get a desired promotion, you have to go back and get your education while raising a family.  $15 or $20 per hour seems great when you are single, but doesn’t go very far when you have a family to support.  I’d initially hire people at the $20 - $25 per hour rate.  If they completed their education, most were able to double this amount almost over night.  One young man I hired was making $13/hr when I hired him.  I gave him $21 to start.  He spent 2 years completing his education on his own time and in his 3rd year was promoted to a position that paid him over $100K/yr.   He was not unique.  Most I hired were either let go or promoted within 24 months.  Those that earned the promotion went to jobs paying $80K to $120K a year.

Lex
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:44:34 am by lex_rooker »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 01:32:34 am »
Where is William when we need him?  ;)

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 06:12:19 am »
I agree with Lex. I am highly skilled in my field (PhD) and earn a good living, but I got there late in life. I got my first professional job at 38 years old. Finishing that degree in my late 30s opened up a lot of doors for me. I wish I had done it sooner.

As for being highly paid, I earn in the neighborhood that Lex is talking about, and I will be the first to tell you, money does not buy happiness. It can't be a decision just about the money. However, there is a level of anxiety and misery that having a certain level of income alleviates, and this amount of money changes a lot in life. In my 30s I was making 30k. When back to school and tripled it. I can tell you, $30k was comfortable at 25 years old, but as you start getting older and understanding the volatility of life that you may face, you realize that living pay check to pay check is more stressful than you thought when you were younger.

If you are not leaving school for a startup venture that you really believe in, and you're just going to get a job and get by, suck it up and plug away. Get your ticket punched. You will definitely appreciate the opportunities it allows.

Many of my frineds are in the same boat as me. There is a large number of late blooming very smart and clever people I grew up with and we're all just hitting our stride now in our late 30s and early 40s, and we all feel the same way: should have done this earlier.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 07:53:27 am »
Sully,everything is about energy. if u have enough energy and u can acquire anything in this world. u can do what ever you want. In this wold, we've converted energy to mean money; so the more money u have the more energy u have. but remember this it all an illusion. if u can grow ur internal energy, than u can make all ur dream come true. remember everything start with a dream. there are many paths to accomplish ur dreams but it all depends on how much energy you have available.  This is internal energy, faith that you can accomplish anything that you put your mind in.    It is easier to follow a path that every body favors because then every body provides you with some energy to help you along the way.  Going to school is the common path, most people favors and they will help you along the way.  Society in general will provide you with some energy for you to become a better member of it.  However, if you choose to take a different path, you may have to only depend on your own energy.  If you can access your internal world, you have access to infinite.  You already have it but doubt and fear are on the way that is why i have to work.  I take the easy path, the one that everybody favors. as a result i am a productive member of society that would provide me with protection from myself.  It is said that when one closes his eyes his world no longer exist but it is redrawn when the eyes are reopen.  It takes energy to grow your consciousness.  It take energy to accomplish anything.  It is all about energy.  We fight for it all the time.  we slave for it all day.

Once you have your internal energy, and starting to accomplish everything from inside.  The society that once consider you as an outcast, will greet you with the greatest title available.  But if you fail because of doubt and fear, they will come after you and make an example out of you.  You can be a success in anything that you choose to do but you have to have faith in your dream.  It may take you 1 week, or one decade but you have to have faith and the energy will grow.  It took someone i know 3 years to manifest her favorite house.  3 years of dreaming and then one day it all come together.  Anyway follow, your heart and your conscience, those are the tools to manifestation.   
 ;) :D ;D :) :o l) >D -d
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk