Author Topic: Very Low Carb - Low Temp - Increasing Carbs?  (Read 11869 times)

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Very Low Carb - Low Temp - Increasing Carbs?
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:04:23 am »
Hey there,

I have been RPVLC over the last few days and have started to feel really cold. I am thinking it may be due to the VLC intake.

Any thoughts?

If you were to increase carbs on a RP diet, do you think fruit is the best way to go, or maybe raw carrots or salad perhaps?

Or perhaps raw coconut butter, or even cooked starches?

Again, your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Very Low Carb - Low Temp - Increasing Carbs?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:16:05 am »
Raw fruits are best.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 04:35:53 am »
Hey Tyler,

Bearing in mind my adrenal issues, would you eat fruit on its own, half an hour after meat/fat, or before?

Also, morning, mid-day, or evening (Or does it not matter?)

In the UK, would you choose Organic apples? Organic blueberries? Or any fruits?

Thanks

Phil

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 04:43:22 am »
Before.

Time of day is irrelevant, IMO.

Due to difficulty in getting hold of organic raw fruit, I just choose nonorganic. However, those who still need to recover from ill-health would be best advised to get organic fruits or semi-organic fruits from local farmers markets.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 05:03:24 am »
Thanks Tyler.

Would the fruit be best combined with a fat source to buffer the blood sugar rise, maybe avocado, or would you just eat it on its own, and then follow it up with some meat/fat shortly after?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 05:09:56 am »
My routine was  and is to eat within a 2 hour period, eating raw fruit first followed 30 minutes later by raw animal foods which took another 5 minutes to 90 minutes to eat, depending.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 05:22:11 am »
Try a lemonade with raw honey.  That's refreshing and has carbs.  Drink it at room temperature.
Also fruit in season in your area as what Tyler said.

To be able to consume more carbs, you may need some nutritional assistance from bitter melon fruit if you have them:
http://www.myhealthblog.org/2010/10/11/type-2-diabetes-cure-eat-raw-bitter-melon-fruit-every-day/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGD0st_g6EM

This fruit helps me and other people avoid sugar spikes up and down / hypoglycemia / consume more carbs if you've become carb sensitive.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 07:47:33 am »
Huh, for me if I get cold it'S because I'm not eating enough meat
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 07:57:53 am »
Huh, for me if I get cold it'S because I'm not eating enough meat

Yes.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 08:16:59 am »
Yeah, for me animal fats [from meat/flesh as vs. plant carbs] are warming, whereas carbs like raw fruits are cooling, which works out great because fruits are in season where I live in the summer when it's hot. It's almost like Nature planned it that way. I have read other people report that carbs warm them and VLC chills them. It's amazing how different the reactions can be. Some of them figured their thyroid was messed up, if I recall correctly. Cold intolerance is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism: http://www.armourthyroid.com/hypothyroidism/symptoms.html Some reported that carbs helped both their low thyroid and coldness. YMMV
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:04:52 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 08:20:39 am »
Yeah, for me animal fats are warming, whereas carbs like raw fruits are cooling, which works out great because fruits are in season where I live in the summer when it's hot. It's almost like Nature planned it that way. I have read other people report that carbs warm them and VLC chills them. It's amazing how different the reactions can be. Some of them figured their thyroid was messed up, if I recall correctly. Cold intolerance is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism: http://www.armourthyroid.com/hypothyroidism/symptoms.html Some reported that carbs helped both their low thyroid and coldness. YMMV

Animal meat.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 08:53:28 am »
GS, I meant to ask this in that other thread, but what is it about the bitter mellon (over other veg fruits like cucumber etc..or just plain herbs/greens) that you believe address peoples 'carb sensitivity'? Incase anyone is interested./..these are always in Chinese/Asian markets, and i've seen them in Indian stores as well.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 11:03:36 am »
Animal meat.
Yes, I know you said meat, in my case meat helps and animal fat, which is a component of meat/flesh, helps in particular. Dr. Kurt Harris and others have reported this as well. If only the lean/protein parts of meat warm you, then that adds some more diversity of experience and completes the spectrum of macronutrients. My main point was that flesh foods also warm me whereas carby plant foods cool me. So while my experience isn't precisely like yours, it's much more similar to yours than to Technosmith's.

Technosmith's experience is also as valid as yours or mine. In many different areas there is quite a range of different experiences among us. I think we would be better served by trying to learn to accept the differences instead of getting hung up on them and learn to get along. After all, as Daniel Quinn said, "There is no one right way to live."

Peace
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:53:29 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »
GS, I meant to ask this in that other thread, but what is it about the bitter mellon (over other veg fruits like cucumber etc..or just plain herbs/greens) that you believe address peoples 'carb sensitivity'? Incase anyone is interested./..these are always in Chinese/Asian markets, and i've seen them in Indian stores as well.

It's a folk remedy in our part of the world where carb consumption is a staple.
It's not possible for you to tell a Filipino to stop eating rice.
Here are the studies.
http://www.charantia.com/ampalaya_archive/Advanced%20Search.htm
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 04:46:39 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Interesting stuff.

I will have to see if I can track down some Bitter Melon Fruit somewhere.

Phil

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 03:11:25 am »
I don't think this guy's adapted to high fat, so it seems natural to feel cold as you have low energy. I used to feel terribly cold, think it was just par for the course. Also the weather has just changed here so will need to adapt to that as well.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 03:47:11 am »
for me it's always a bad deal if i borrow fruit from tropical country to cure my problem . bitter melons are extremely good for lots of things. even i grew bitter melons in my new jersey home last summer which were the smaller in size and known for the best one. GS lives in Philippine and that's a tropical country. living in US would be different to treat low body temp. i know that raw protein and fats are very good for my body. this diet works like a buffer in my body. on extreme hot days i feel cooler (my food intake decrease), but winter time i feel less cold and i can eat more. if i persist myself on raw meat diet, my energy level always stay same regardless of weather.
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 06:07:33 am »
I don't think this guy's adapted to high fat, so it seems natural to feel cold as you have low energy. I used to feel terribly cold, think it was just par for the course. ...
Excellent point, Josh. I digested fat very poorly when I first started on raw carnivore. I'm gradually becoming better adapted but I believe I still have a ways to go after over a year. If much of the fat is just going right through Phil/Technosmith then it can't warm him much. There are multiple possibilities.

I don't seem to notice as much chilling from raw honey as from raw fruits, so for those people whom carbs warm up, I wonder if raw honey would maybe work best? Just a thought.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 09:59:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys,

So you think it may just take time for my body to start utilizing the fat better?

I have been eating high fat for a while now, but only fairly recently raw animal fat. Do you think this would make a difference?

I must say that sometimes I feel concerned about the shear volume of animal fat I am consuming, although I guess this is just due to conditioning.

Cheers for the tips re carbs. Not sure how easy raw honey is to acquire in the UK, but I will have a browse on the internet.

Not sure on this one, but I have been led to believe that carbs are required for T3 hormone production, so perhaps this is why I am feeling cold on VLC. Although I guess if this was true how would the VLC-ZC's get by.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 10:29:36 pm »
So you think it may just take time for my body to start utilizing the fat better?
No way of knowing beyond personal experimentation, as individuals differ, unless there's a test for bile insufficiency.

I have been eating high fat for a while now, but only fairly recently raw animal fat. Do you think this would make a difference?
In my experience it did, but see #'s 2 and 3 in my signature.

I must say that sometimes I feel concerned about the shear volume of animal fat I am consuming, although I guess this is just due to conditioning.
Perhaps, but again, it depends on the individual.

Cheers for the tips re carbs. Not sure how easy raw honey is to acquire in the UK, but I will have a browse on the internet.
Tyler apparently buys raw honeycomb in the UK.

Not sure on this one, but I have been led to believe that carbs are required for T3 hormone production, so perhaps this is why I am feeling cold on VLC. Although I guess if this was true how would the VLC-ZC's get by.
Or me, for that matter. I experience the opposite--greater warmth from flesh foods, particularly animal fat, and greater coldness from plant carbs. Why others have the opposite experience, I don't know, but some who experienced coldness on LC did report thyroid problems.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 10:31:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys,

How much fat are you consuming? You should probably reduce it if you are eating very big amounts. Try that for a while. Eat half the amount of fat you do now.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:32:09 pm »
One can often get raw honeycomb from farmers markets
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »
How much fat are you consuming? You should probably reduce it if you are eating very big amounts. Try that for a while. Eat half the amount of fat you do now.
That may be good advice, as I started out at a much lower level of fat intake than the 70-80% of calories that I'm at now, to allow my body the chance to slowly adapt to digesting it.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 11:22:41 pm »
I am not sure how much fat I consume, but it seems lots. My meat I get these days is really fatty (probably 40/50% fat, maybe more, sometimes less). I also eat bone marrow, tongue and fat trimmings.

Really difficult to say how much as I don't weigh anything. I have been eating loads because I would like to put on a bit of weight as I am quite thin, and don't really want to increase my carbs too much (Also, in terms of the weight issue, I am currently not doing weight training as I am adrenally fatigued at the moment).

As a percentage I am probably eating >60% fat as a rough guess, maybe more.

JOSH - Do you eat one big meal a day?

Cheers,

Phil

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 12:19:09 am »
Hi Phil.

At the moment yes I eat one big meal a day...sometimes if I do a workout I split it. I also eat a fair bit of carbs...up to 70g a day so not VLC.

I don't know how adapted you are, but some people find it takes a long time. Lex said 3 months to get more or less up to ok then a year to fully get up to speed.

My personal experience was that I couldn't eat any low or zero carb diet no matter what willpower I had...my body would just shut down, I shed all my fat,  and I could hardly move about.

I got somewhere through becoming very fit (at high altitude), and also I think through taking TG100 glandular supplement from Allergy research which has thyroid and other things.

So now not bothered about going VLC in a hurry...I think it is best but I will take my time with it and keep exercising loads.

Also people need to eat loads of meat and fat, I eat about 900-1000 g in one day and probably will gradually increase to 1200 or so. Re your comment about amount of fat, you know that the percentages usually quoted are for calorie ratio not ratio of weight right?

Don't mean to be patronising, I just don't know what you know and these things can trip newbies up.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:29:23 am by Josh »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk