Author Topic: Very Low Carb - Low Temp - Increasing Carbs?  (Read 11871 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Very Low Carb - Low Temp - Increasing Carbs?
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 01:00:50 am »
60% fat by mass is 92% fat by calories.

40% fat by calories is 7.7% fat by mass.

So just start off with meat that appears that it would be around 5-10% fat by mass. You can easily select fattier cuts, or add small amounts of fat as you feel like it. It's better to occasionally crave fat and subsequently satisfy that craving, than it is to consistently overeat on fat.

Furthermore, the less plants you are eating, the less fat you will be able to tolerate.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:07:15 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 01:17:38 am »
Hi Miles. I'm interested what your reasoning is for these points:
It's better to occasionally crave fat and subsequently satisfy that craving, than it is to consistently overeat on fat.

Furthermore, the less plants you are eating, the less fat you will be able to tolerate.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 02:01:45 am »
Hey guys,

So another one meal a day man hey. There must be something in this by the sounds of things!

Thanks for the info re your carb intake Josh. And thanks for the shout re the Bitter Melon Fruit (UK).

In terms of the amount of meat/fat consumption (grams), I don't eat as much as 1000-1200g. Probably more like 500gish. However, this is seriously fatty meat (say 200-250g fat = 1800-2250kcal) , plus supplemented fat sometimes.
Its difficult to say really cos I will often throw in some lean organs, and then the fat content will drop substantially.

Thinking maybe I should reduce the fat amount somewhat.

Cheers

Phil

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 03:08:21 am »
Sounds a lot, but not that far outside the norm.

Say 2600 calories a day for an active man. If we take a 70/30 ratio of fat, that's 1820 cals from fat. 1820/9.02 (cals per gram) = 201g fat.

I'd say drop the fat  slightly, but just eat more protein on top of what you eat now.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 03:15:18 am »
Calories aren't created equally, so don't follow some bullshit you read in fitness magazines about you need 3000 calories per day.

Eat until you're not hungry. Don't stuff your self. Will give you problems.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 03:16:23 am »
That's fine if it's working, but will cause problems if you're not getting enough food.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 07:24:31 am »
Hi Miles. I'm interested what your reasoning is for these points:

It's better to occasionally crave fat and subsequently satisfy that craving, than it is to consistently overeat on fat.

I'm curious too, because I'd never heard of this before you mentioned it, Miles.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 09:12:13 pm »
Cheers for the advice guys.

Thanks.

Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk