Author Topic: Vegetable oils and ACV  (Read 3653 times)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Vegetable oils and ACV
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:18:30 am »
Does anyone know why AV advocated only eating plant oils with vegetable IF you add ACV. (He stated this in his interview)

Its funny because my salad always includes like a tablespoon of flax oil and a minimum of 3 tablespoons of ACV. Never just veggies with plant oil without ACV. I always do it just because I thought it felt right but yesterday I read him say this is the better way but why exactly????

Does anyone know his complete reasoning for this? Why he says:
Salad + plant oil = BAD
but Salad + plant oil + ACV = good
Does the ACV aid in digesting the oil or prevent it from going bad in your tummy?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable oils and ACV
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:25:55 am »
I dunno, he basically says plant fiber is indigestible. I'm not sure about the oils, I think he ascribes some positive things to oilive oil in certain circumstances. Its probably a digestive aid, with the fermented properties being basically the same thing. That or he just thinks it tastes like crap and therefore will prevent people from eating much salad. :)

I also tend to use ACV if I am having plant foods, same with sauerkraut and dulse, but I don't think those are recommended under Primal. I just like to cover my bases if I'm already eating a 'meal' of plants or cooked meats or vegetables or avocado or something.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:36:32 am »
I dunno, he basically says plant fiber is indigestible. I'm not sure about the oils, I think he ascribes some positive things to oilive oil in certain circumstances. Its probably a digestive aid, with the fermented properties being basically the same thing. That or he just thinks it tastes like crap and therefore will prevent people from eating much salad. :)

I also tend to use ACV if I am having plant foods, same with sauerkraut and dulse, but I don't think those are recommended under Primal. I just like to cover my bases if I'm already eating a 'meal' of plants or cooked meats or vegetables or avocado or something.

The only plant oil I consume now is flax oil for the omega-3 boost and it tastes good with minced veggie salads, I no longer consume any olive oil because there is no point for me, animal fat is better. ACV is awesome to eat with veggies, I eat a big salad of minced roots, radishes and cabbage with ACV almost daily and never get any diarrhea from it, I also noticed I am never pooping out pieces of vegetables anymore, which is good because maybe the ACV help me assimilate them. Yes they are definitely full of fiber, some RAFers don't like the fiber but a find a little is actually good, I am not too keen on juicing veggies, I get a sugar rush or slight nausea after juicing them, but from the ACV salad I feel good and content, so I assume the fibre in it is just good roughage, perhaps the fibre is there to help us process the plants better.

I guess I would describe my diet now as between Raw Paleo and Primal: raw aged meats & animal fats (like in both), fresh salads no juicing (like in Paleo), add raw hard cheeses for extra fat, calcium and yumminess (like in Primal), small amounts of fruit and nuts as occasional snacks (like in Paleo)...so far its working great, I am only assuming the ACV helps with digesting the flax oil with the plants...I guess  -\
Since I have been including this salad concoction I have a very diminished want for fruits, whatever helps me not want fruits is welcome!

If I ever eat cooked meat (happens sometimes because my family are meat lovers and when I am out of food and see some beef stew I need to taste some!!!  :P) I also take a big gulp of ACV always, if I don't I will suffer more.  >D Although I am learning now to always have a supply of raw aged meat ready for me so I don't fall into the trap of being hungry and having a piece of stewed beef or chicken.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:22:15 am »
yeah, I'm sure you've already figured out that 'paleo' and 'primal' mean very specific things to certain people. In a sense, Primal Diet is pretty specific because it is a series of protocols by a single individual basically. Like for instance, your menu (while great) doesnt seem remotely Primal Diet to me. maybe primal in the Mark Sisson or PanU kind of laissez faire sense. (salted esp) cheese is heavily frowned upon as a regular food, as is fiber, water, most nuts/seeds/oiks other than in certain formals, not juicing etc... :)

I forget how much I really enjoy greens as I hardly ever eat them anymore. I had some arugula with parsley the other night with avocado and those three 'condiments'. I mean arugula is a very pungent green, yet I still dug it.

other than your dressings, are you diluting ACV with water? also I think there is some concern with teeth contact. Just throwing that out there.

i just started mixing it with the egg whites I've been periodically cleaning my hair with. not sure it it looks much healthier but it helped get some cig smoke out from the other night. ug.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:07:39 am »
Yeah I do dilute the ACV usually, sometimes I can take a small gulp without it touching my teeth...no problems with teeth so far...
I guess I don't like following any diet specifically, I take all the elements I like from diets I like and then make it into my own diet...
If something if frowned upon but it makes sense for me to eat it then I will eat it anyways, after all raw meat is frowned upon by many but if I didn't ignore that fact I would've never started eating raw meat!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk