Author Topic: Colors of Meats & Blood vs Meat Juices?  (Read 15295 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Colors of Meats & Blood vs Meat Juices?
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:08:05 am »
Ok so, is there a difference between blood and meat juices?

Because, a rabbits meat is lighter in color than bison. Why is that? Why does rabbit turn white/light brown when you cook it and bison turns brown?

Is there more blood in bison meat? More veins? I think squirrel turns brown when cooked.

And juice that runs off of the meat is blood I assume, but is not as concentrated as blood gushing from veins?

i remeber on bizarre foods, he had blood with milk with the masai, he said it tsated nutty. Maybe because it was mixed with milk? who knows

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Colors of Meats & Blood vs Meat Juices?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:09:03 am »
the less blood, the lighter the color of meat?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:13:39 am »
No it has to do with the types of muscle fibers that the meat is composed of. Rabbits have what is know as fast twitch fibers which are used for sprinting and bursts of energy. Grazing animals generally have slow twitch fibers because they have to stand all day to eat grass and they don't burst out energy very often. It also has to do with iron but I don't have the details on that part.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:24:54 am »
No it has to do with the types of muscle fibers that the meat is composed of. Rabbits have what is know as fast twitch fibers which are used for sprinting and bursts of energy. Grazing animals generally have slow twitch fibers because they have to stand all day to eat grass and they don't burst out energy very often. It also has to do with iron but I don't have the details on that part.
But squirrels are related to rabbits and have darker meat.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:34:47 am »
Ostriches are flightless birds (like chickens and turkeys) but they have dark red color flesh and blood...
pigs are hoofed animals yet they have light flesh...
I don't think the color of the flesh/blood is completely the same regarding how closely animals are related, usually its similar but not always.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 09:35:30 am »

hmm, they look the same because of the blood (rabbit meat looks pink if you wash all thee blood off, but the rabbit looks almost like chicken when you cook it

this how it looked when i made soup for my mom, its not my photo ut that's how it looked
http://dinnerdiary.org/wp-content/rabbit_casserole.jpg

http://www.whatsonsouthwest.co.uk/images/articles/cat1-img2.1227183956.pjpeg
i guess this is cooked squirrel
http://pzrservices.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451ccbc69e2010536b02b44970b-400wi

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 09:39:27 am »
Ostriches are flightless birds (like chickens and turkeys) but they have dark red color flesh and blood...
pigs are hoofed animals yet they have light flesh...
I don't think the color of the flesh/blood is completely the same regarding how closely animals are related, usually its similar but not always.
Yeah true, but ostritches are much bigger.

I think pigs have been breed to have lighter flesh. Since wild boars have darker meat, boar meat is simlar to red meat from the pictures I have seen. The light flesh for pigs is a product oif breeding.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 09:43:43 am »
check out rat meat, who are related to both rabbits and squirrels...

dark when raw:

light when cooked:

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 10:05:17 am »
mioglobin is what gives meat its color, that's all.  chickens have less of it that's why it appears white.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:06:08 am »
check out rat meat, who are related to both rabbits and squirrels...

dark when raw:

light when cooked:

Perhaps, but they look bloody Yuli. Rabbit meat looks bloody when you first kill it too. But when you rinse it it looks lighter almost pink.

If you rinse bison, it is still dark. THise shiny red things are organs ;)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08:31 am »
mioglobin is what gives meat its color, that's all.  chickens have less of it that's why it appears white.
that's what I was looking for, hmm,

interesting,

hey yuli!
tuna is dark red but turns white lol, crazy...

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 10:27:38 am »
tuna is dark red but turns white lol, crazy...

Maybe with red fish its always like that, if you ever tried to cook salmon and trout they turn pale pink!

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 10:46:01 am »
Maybe with red fish its always like that, if you ever tried to cook salmon and trout they turn pale pink!
yeah, their color doesn't changed too much,
I think salmon get their muscle pigment from their food, which is why heat deosn't effect it as much?

I say this because, farmed salmon lack a proper diet, so they feed them something to make their flesh look normal.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 11:02:00 am »
Just because the flesh is paler doesn't mean its farmed...
There are many types of salmon, Chinook, Coho, Cherry, Chum, Sokeye etc...then there's the Altantic ones....
Some types have naturally more pale color, even when wild. I forgot which site it was, but they were selling 100% wild-caught salmon and had pictures of all the flesh of the different breeds you can order, some were much paler even though wild.
Even if they do put things in their food to increase red, the farmed salmon sold around here is still pretty pale :/

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 12:45:41 pm »
is rat a clean animal to eat? i can't believe i'm asking this, lol

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 01:04:22 pm »
Wild rats away from cities and urban areas are good to eat.

There is a risk with all omnivorous animals close to urban areas. Since they are not picky eaters and eat human trash often.

Bears, racoons etc., its always wise to make sure that if you eat these animals they ate wild foods their entire life.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 01:08:12 pm »

Any animal can be clean depending on the conditions it was raised in.
Pet stores often sell rats and in a good pet store they are kept very clean, the thing is if I buy a couple of rats I end up keeping them as pets not eating them, rats make amazing pets, they are intelligent, fun to watch and affectionate. Plus one little rat is not much meat! They probably are delicious though.

If I had lots and lots of space I could raise lots of rats in one small room (like a rat farm  :o) and feed them healthy food. Rats live only about 3 years, sometimes less, so I can let the rats live happy for 2.5 years and then kill them quick & eat them, that way the rats are happy and living their life and I am getting the freshest and cleanest possible meat. I would also feed the rats super nutritious veggies and fruits and seeds and insects like worms so they will be having optimal nutrition before slaughter LOL

I used to work in a reptile store when I was much younger and the snakes there had to be fed rats, I would have to pre-kill the rats before feeding to the snake. an easy and swift way to kill a rat is to place a pencil horizontally over its upper neck and then while holding down the pencil you have to jerk up its tail in the quickest motion possible that snaps its neck immediately and it dies instantly. It sounds gruesome but its actually the quickest way to kill it.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 02:47:55 am »
Any animal can be clean depending on the conditions it was raised in.
Pet stores often sell rats and in a good pet store they are kept very clean, the thing is if I buy a couple of rats I end up keeping them as pets not eating them

Rats in pet stores would be a domestic breed (which is bad) and fed an unnaturally diet (which is really bad). Not too mention they get no sunlight. Animal stores are horrible and all of them should be closed down.

Your healthiest bet would be catching a rat in the wild. Pure genes and eats its natural diet = healthy animal.

Wild animals away from urban areas or pollution are the safest animals to eat.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 03:04:54 am »
Rats in pet stores would be a domestic breed (which is bad) and fed an unnaturally diet (which is really bad). Not too mention they get no sunlight. Animal stores are horrible and all of them should be closed down.

Your healthiest bet would be catching a rat in the wild. Pure genes and eats its natural diet = healthy animal.

Wild animals away from urban areas or pollution are the safest animals to eat.

True its not wild, but no more unnatural then eating a cow, sheep, pig and other common farm animals. It would still be very safe to eat. Regular rats and city rats are pretty close to their wild ancestors, unless you're talking about the 'fancy rat' types, the regular ones have not been overbred more then beef.
My boa constrictor has been living for over 12 years off of pet store rats and is as healthy as any snake can be, no less healthy then a wild snake, good muscle tone, shiny skin, never any health issues.
You would have to raise the rats yourself after you purchase them, and they are very easy to raise, feeding them a natural diet is simple: just feed them bugs, meats, veggies, some seeds and fruits. To give them sunlight you can wire mesh an area in your yard or buy some high quality UV lamps. There is always a way. The only reason people don't eat rats is because its a taboo (except in certain countries where its very popular), eating beef is no better, and people do well on naturally raised beef.

EDIT: and if you're that concerned about the city rat, you can get similar ones from the wild and they still breed like crazy in captivity and thrive on those above mentioned foods.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 05:23:27 am »
Eating rats from a pet stoe is not the same as grass fed beef. I can see if someone raised free range rats lol
Kind of hard.

Yeah okayyy, your boa was as healthy as one in the wild? hah get real. l)

If your boa didn't eat wild food venture free and mate and reproduce, then in my opinion its life sucked.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 11:29:18 am »

Eating rats from a pet stoe is not the same as grass fed beef. I can see if someone raised free range rats lol
Kind of hard.

Yeah okayyy, your boa was as healthy as one in the wild? hah get real. l)

If your boa didn't eat wild food venture free and mate and reproduce, then in my opinion its life sucked.

Sully if you don't agree with me that’s great but your post should not sound like that of an annoying teenage boy, I thought you had the capability of having a little more interesting, constructive and mature discussion, I guess I was wrong lol

Rats don't need a whole huge field like cows to be raised "free range", they like to hide in small spaces, they love to crowd themselves together and sleep/snuggle together on top of one another in big piles, hardly ever do they want to go into a big open space, they don't like that, they like going into little caves and tubes etc...if you ever had rats or really observed them you'd know that. I had 4 of them and I'd let them onto my porch outside and in different rooms of my house, they'd explore & play a bit but after they'll cram themselves into fairly shady/dark place where they can feel safe and cozy and chew on stuff like wood. They were always very happy rats.

It’s very possible to raise healthy rats in a large enclosed area and guess what, they will fuck like crazy and reproduce like crazy and they will be as happy as a rat can be! MUCH easier to raise then cows, which are further removed from their wild ancestors then rats IMO. And our precious grass-fed cows often have to be put into enclosed pens anyway depending on the frikkin weather conditions.

And my snake does get to go out, I just open his terrarium and he will crawl/climb in my room, I have branches for him,...although mostly he just prefers to save his energy and wait for his next meal, cause that’s what snakes want to do, they like to have their own territory to themselves, they usually avoid other snakes and don't want them around, and they wait to pounce and constrict their prey. If you knew more about boas you'd know they can be kept successfully without their lives totally sucking...boas don't think like people..."oh my life sucks I am bored"...they just don't. If I took my snake and brought him to the wild he will have absolutely NO issues surviving and hunting and constricting prey, because he is HEALTHY and wild still, period. If you bring a cow into the wild or a dog it will have a little more problem than the snake. What are you going to say next, my pet cat’s lives suck too?

And did I not mention in both my posts that the rats you initially buy should then be RAISED in a healthy way BEFORE you use them as food...like do not eat them straight from the pet store, let them fuck and eat and live their life a bit first.

I thought you'd have a little more imagination rather than the constant, “it's not 100% wild then it sucks attitude”.

Guess what, you're not 100% wild either, or else you wouldn't be saying thing like you want to have money, why you need money? Why are you going to school or using the computer even? Just run naked into the forest, and then you can be wild, it's free of charge. Or is it ok for you and not for snakes and rats even if they are well cared for...then don’t ever buy meat from any farm at all no matter now nice and sustainable the farm is because god forbid it’s not wild enough! I for one think that farming animals while keeping them happy and healthy is a WONDERFUL idea, and that more farms should be happy and sustainable farms with healthy animals, and that if there are animals that are easy to farm lets farm them who cares if it’s a rat (oh nooo!), because if everyone only ate from the wild we’ll quickly run out of food, not to mention ruin the diminishing wild environment we have left. But I guess you don’t care about that.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 12:26:27 pm »
@Yuli

Rats are nocturnal. They usually hide during the day and venture out at night.

I actually prefer feral animals over grass fed cows. Bison, and wild deer etc. Closer to wild the better. But you got to work with what you got.

I don't like to buy pets, mainly because I prefer to observe them in nature (just my opinion please don't take offense if you own pets). I had a cat before (died). If I am lonley in the future I may get some dogs. But I prefer to watch animals in nature in nature.

Yes, animals don't think and have thoughts like us. But, in my opinion, there life is more fulfiiled in the wild even though it's tougher. They get to experience what they are meant to.

I would love to live in my true enviroment with other people, like our ancestors did. Hunting with other men, living off the land. A life of peace. It's truly my dream. I don't care about money (but I got to eat), if there are a couple of woman and men who want to survive in our ture enviroment with me. Please let me know. We can make it happen.

I am taking math classes in school, just so my family thinks I am not doiing nothing. I am having troubles getting employed, I think my arabic name may be affecting this.

Farms are necessary now. If everyone was educated on health etc. though, everyone in the world could all hunt sustainably.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 12:47:33 pm »
@sully
I would want to live out there on a regular basis but still have a home. Also about the arabic name...wisconsin isn't the greatest place for having an arabic name but I really doubt everyone you tried getting a job from actually care. Where do you come from?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »
Rats are nocturnal. They usually hide during the day and venture out at night.

No rats are not nocturnal, they are crepuscular, most active at dusk and dawn, sleeping in the middle of night and day, again, if you really knew about rats you would know this.

Instead you dismissed my idea of farming them as though it was impossible and utter crap.

I actually prefer feral animals over grass fed cows. Bison, and wild deer etc. Closer to wild the better. But you got to work with what you got.

You like bison? Me too, thank the bison farmers for their hard work to bring this great animal to your table.

I don't like to buy pets, mainly because I prefer to observe them in nature (just my opinion please don't take offense if you own pets).

That's fine if you don't like pets, one of my good friends doesn't like animals, but he has never said anything disrespectful about my pets, or that they suck, or anything childish like that. I spend lots of time on them and take great care of them, and if you knew about pets you wouldn't say that to someone who loves their pets. By the way living with pets is very natural for humans. My rats and cats and dogs I had always loved me, even when I let my rats run free in the house they'd follow me usually, and play with me.

Yes, animals don't think and have thoughts like us. But, in my opinion, there life is more fulfiiled in the wild even though it's tougher. They get to experience what they are meant to.

Again you're not making sense, I am not keeping tigers, I am keeping animals which live well with humans! Saying my snakes life is not fulfilled is called anthropomorphism. My cats lives are more then dangerous enough, they have a forest close by, sometimes my male goes for two days before deciding to come back home, they have lots of fun but also got into fights and I had to treat their wounds. The cats are doing whatever they please, usually they are pleased hanging with me in my room though, and snuggling.

I don't care about money (but I got to eat)....

You said in numerous posts before about hoe you wanted to get rich, or have more money or be wealthy, stuff along those lines, at this point I don't think you know what you truly want man.

I am having troubles getting employed, I think my arabic name may be affecting this.

Really? Come to Toronto, I have on numerous occasions not been served properly because they employees they hire in stores can't even speak basic frikkin English, never mind their name lol

Farms are necessary now. If everyone was educated on health etc. though, everyone in the world could all hunt sustainably.

Farms will always be necessary, unless we plan on killing of 75% of the people on the planet, again there is nothing wrong with sustainable farms that care about the wellbeing of their animals!!! When everyone is educated enough, they are not going to hunt sustainably, they are going to farm sustainably, and be at peace, and they are going to care about preserving the natural environment. Sure there will be some hunters and tribes, but most people wont want to do that.

Perhaps you should work on a farm, its hard work and you can learn some respect for the people that work hard to bring the majority of us healthy meat. I am certainly thankful to those people...
And you tell me to "get real"? Perhaps you should tell it to yourself.  ;)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 01:33:48 pm »
@kuriteo
I was born in Wisconsin. My father is from Jordan. But he was deported, so and I was raised by my mom here.
Not impossible to get a job, but pretty hard.

@Yuli
"No rats are not nocturnal, they are crepuscular"
I guess yahoo answers steered me wrong then.

"You like bison? Me too, thank the bison farmers for their hard work to bring this great animal to your table. "
I do, I thank the lady at North Star Bison everytime I order some fat. She is a sweet lady.

"That's fine if you don't like pets, one of my good friends doesn't like animals, but he has never said anything disrespectful about my pets, or that they suck, or anything childish like that. I spend lots of time on them and take great care of them, and if you knew about pets you wouldn't say that to someone who loves their pets. By the way living with pets is very natural for humans. My rats and cats and dogs I had always loved me, even when I let my rats run free in the house they'd follow me usually, and play with me."
I like pets, I just prefer them to have more feral exhistance. My cat was feral too. Always outside getting beat up.

"You said in numerous posts before about hoe you wanted to get rich, or have more money or be wealthy, stuff along those lines, at this point I don't think you know what you truly want man."
Ahh, your right I do need money to eat now. I never talked of getting rich, just getting enough money so if I get some land I could afford it. But If I coud live without money in the wild with other people I would. I like a simple life. I think you misinterpreted what I said. I am happy when I am helaty and living simple. I think i said a few times it sucks being poor when living in society.

"Really? Come to Toronto, I have on numerous occasions not been served properly because they employees they hire in stores can't even speak basic frikkin English, never mind their name lol"
 I rather stay in Wisconsin, thanks though. But Wiscnsin is not Toronto.

"Farms will always be necessary, unless we plan on killing of 75% of the people on the planet, again there is nothing wrong with sustainable farms that care about the wellbeing of their animals!!! When everyone is educated enough, they are not going to hunt sustainably, they are going to farm sustainably, and be at peace, and they are going to care about preserving the natural environment. Sure there will be some hunters and tribes, but most people wont want to do that.

Perhaps you should work on a farm, its hard work and you can learn some respect for the people that work hard to bring the majority of us healthy meat. I am certainly thankful to those people...
And you tell me to "get real"? Perhaps you should tell it to yourself.  "
Change yourself an influence change in others. Mre and more people are understanding the importance of living simple and eating raw foods.

Sorry if I offended you in my previous post. I am trying to show rspect to you and type from my heart.
If you have skype, i'd be glad to talk through mic and cam to resolve any further issues.

-Suleiman Abu Qdairi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk