Author Topic: Suggestions for Raw Zero Carb / Carnivore Beginner  (Read 14827 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Suggestions for Raw Zero Carb / Carnivore Beginner
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:20:52 pm »
I am on a 3 day coconut water fast.  

After this fast which ends tomorrow, having reset my innards, I feel this is a good opportunity to try out raw zero carb for 1 week or 2 weeks in earnest.

I have access to beef, organs, goat, eggs, sea food.

I am open to your suggestions on schedule and what raw zero carb foods to try for these 1 to 2 weeks.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Raw Zero Carb / Carnivore Beginner
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:06:38 pm »
Try eating warrior diet style. Katelyn does that and in fact that worked best for me when I tried rzc.

Here's also my tip, if you still have brainfog and irritability after 1 week then just drop it. I stuck it out for a month and it was a really crap month. It never improved.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »
For the record, I would suggest to those newbies who are planning to do RZC to always expect at least  some negative side-effects while transitioning to RZC. If these effects are minor, then it is fine to continue with them, but if they just get worse and worse, it is best to quit. Everyone seems to be different with some experiencing seriously negative side-effects within a few days of going RZC to those who only experience very minor side-effects and eventually get used to RZC without issues.

IMO, 1 or 2 weeks is not usually enough of a trial. I gave myself from 3 to 6 weeks, depending on the relevant trial, and, other than a drop in sports performance within 10 days or so, I did not experience any noticeable  health problems until after 3 weeks on RZC, when things really started to go downhill very fast.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:08:11 am »
Try eating warrior diet style. Katelyn does that and in fact that worked best for me when I tried rzc.
This or fast-5 seem to give the best results to many.
Intermittent fasting, even as low as just 16 hours a day, is a big key to my success thus far.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:44:45 am »
+1 on the above.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 06:24:57 am »
Everyone seems to be different with some experiencing seriously negative side-effects within a few days of going RZC to those who only experience very minor side-effects and eventually get used to RZC without issues.
As usual, you left out those who experienced no serious negative side effects during the early stages of RZC/raw obligate carnivore. The only side effect I experienced was a sweet taste to my saliva, probably from excess ketones, that started 2-3 weeks into it and then went away after another 2-3 weeks, if I remember correctly.

I don't advocate true ZC, though, as I don't see the point of avoiding liver and eggs if they don't give one negative symptoms.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 07:07:54 am »
What is Warrior Diet?
Summary?
Links?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:42:52 am »
What is Warrior Diet?
Summary?
Links?

Means you eat only one meal per day and you eat it close to bed time

fast-5 is similar, but that means there's only one feeding window in your day and it lasts 5 hours.

So for example your feeding window would be, perhaps 17-22:00 (up to you) then you can only eat in that period of time. The rest is fasting. You wont go hungry anyway if you're eating proper amounts of fat.

But caution, by doing this is how I got eczema on my neck. Although I credit it more to the fact that I over ate in the feeding window. So my tip here would be don't over eat.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline RomanK

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 08:10:50 am »
I've just done the same! 4 days water-lemon-salt-coconut butter (More difficult than WF for me) and switched to eggs-fat-meat. Nothing to report for now (just three days on such regiment) but before detox I got the same plus one meal of green salad with olive oil. Thus I've not seen any problem.
BTW, GS, I found and tried bitter melon, like it...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 03:14:30 pm »
As usual, you left out those who experienced no serious negative side effects during the early stages of RZC/raw obligate carnivore. The only side effect I experienced was a sweet taste to my saliva, probably from excess ketones, that started 2-3 weeks into it and then went away after another 2-3 weeks, if I remember correctly.

I don't advocate true ZC, though, as I don't see the point of avoiding liver and eggs if they don't give one negative symptoms.
  I did actually mention those who only experienced minor side-effects. Virtually all the other successful RZCers have admitted to experiencing some side-effects such as a little fatigue or  brain-fog and the like, so people who did not experience any real negative side-effects are a tiny minority, if that.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 08:55:19 pm »
little fatigue or  brain-fog

I'd say that if anything those are side-effects of their previous diet, if they can't eat animal foods only without experiencing this.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »
I'd say that if anything those are side-effects of their previous diet, if they can't eat animal foods only without experiencing this.
That is of course utter nonsense. The whole point of going RZC is that it requires  wholly different processes re ketogenic activity etc. One could even suggest that only those with severe issues such as extreme insulin sensitivity or whatever could handle RZC in the long-term.
" Ron Paul.

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 02:39:34 pm »

That's working best for me too.
Nicole

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 02:52:12 pm »
So that sounds like:

Morning and Afternoon - Just water.

Before bed at say 8pm, raw animal food.

Just one type of raw animal food?  Or can I eat sequentially in the same meal?
I'm thinking tomorrow of oysters + beef.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »
So that sounds like:

Morning and Afternoon - Just water.

Before bed at say 8pm, raw animal food.

Just one type of raw animal food?  Or can I eat sequentially in the same meal?
I'm thinking tomorrow of oysters + beef.

That would be the warrior diet.
I think you could sequentially eat those two. In that instance I'd eat the oysters first, give myself time to digest, then eat the beef.

Fast-5 is eating your meal in a five hour window at some point in the day. It could be that same evening window as the warrior diet or could be a mid-day window.

I for example eat my first meal at mid-day (usually around 1PM lately but as early as 11AM or as late as 3PM depending on my hunger levels) and then eat my second, and last meal at dinner time (usually around 7PM lately but as early as 6PM or as late as 9PM). Doing the math I'm not technically eating "fast-5" but still get the same benefits. The large block of time each day spent intermittent fasting allows the body to recover and flourish without the burden of digestion in my experience. :)
I do eat different types of animal foods some days but not usually during the same meal. As long as I've had say 2 hours since I ate swordfish for lunch I won't have a problem eating beef for dinner.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 08:10:59 am »
if one does not eat liver/eggs, where do they get their vitamins/minerals?
The price is wrong Bob

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 09:47:11 am »
Most of the folks at ZIOH while I was reading it were claiming that fatty muscle meat like ribeye steaks plus water was enough to live on. They didn't think that any other vitamins were necessary. Lex and I and some others talked a little about liver, heart and other organs, but there wasn't a lot of tolerance of such talk. CW and others seemed to have the attitude of "If you want to eat organs go ahead, but we don't want to hear about it," and they tended to make fun of folks who promote organ consumption. I think a lot of it was just because Charles and some others didn't like the taste of organs. Lex thinks that part of the reason that he has lasted longer as a carnivore than most of the ZIOHers is that he includes a small amount of organs in his daily mix.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 01:07:08 pm »
Lex thinks that part of the reason that he has lasted longer as a carnivore than most of the ZIOHers is that he includes a small amount of organs in his daily mix.
ya this is my mentality to it too, but my broader aproach to life now is what would johnny caveman do in situation x. He would eat organs, the fat with bits of muscle meat (says my insticnt). organs are necesary, jsut many people find they are gross ike, and taste bad. fuck em, organs are awesome
The price is wrong Bob

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 01:57:30 am »
ya this is my mentality to it too, but my broader aproach to life now is what would johnny caveman do in situation x. He would eat organs, the fat with bits of muscle meat (says my insticnt). organs are necesary, jsut many people find they are gross ike, and taste bad. fuck em, organs are awesome

I actually love organs so much that I kind of need to watch out not to eat too many of them but also some muscle meat...really. Some weeks I ate like >50%organs. Especially in the beginning of my ZC adventure. But now I eat more with "instinct" if you would call it like that. I eat what I feel like. For example couple days ago: I felt like I wanted kidneys. So I took beef kidney out of the freezer and when I started eating them (of course let it thaw first) it was strange as I would only go for the fat. didn't eat much of the lean parts of them, only the kidney fat. I wonder what was in it that my body needed at that time?
Nicole

Offline babetteq

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 01:27:36 am »
if one does not eat liver/eggs, where do they get their vitamins/minerals?

Now I just barely started eating organs lately. Mostly because I believe it's a good idea. I really don't like liver. I gag. I'm not a picky eater, but there is something about the texture when raw, and the smell when cooked that either way I can barely tolerate. I find if I slice it thin, then barely sear it, it takes care of hte texture enough without creating that horrible taste.

But I did most of a year on mainly muscle meat, cream, and occasional eggs. I didn't use eggs much because they just don't keep me full like meat does.

That being said, I'm eating it because I believe the theory that it is good for me. Not because I was showing signs of deficiencies, or I was feeling unwell.
I do what I do because it feels good. I don't care what you do. But if it doesn't work, please don't complain. Just change it.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 07:17:56 am »
Organs are also cheaper and more nutrient-rich than muscle meats, so trying to acquire a taste for them would seem to be a good long-term investment.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:36 am »
I have been living close to zero carb for the last 8 months or so, before I was still eatting a little fruit and some veggies like tomatoes and avocados. The only non animal foods I eat currently are lemon water and coconut. I have been eatting raw coconut lately and drinking a little coconut water. I eat a wide variety of animal foods, I eat beef and lamb fat for most meals, and I mix in a few organ meats , marrow, egg yolks,oysters,clams,game meats,etc.

I also use high meat regularly.

I feel good and have experienced improved health and well being. I have tried to go a few days without anycarbs and have given up on being totally ZC, but it seems that the little bit of coconut and lemon I use gives me just enough carbs to feel balanced through each day. Also my digestion is about the best I ever remember it being and I have no trouble eatting large meals of over a pound of meat. vegtables and furits seem to cause bloating and poor digestion in myself so I avoid them.

I eat a small meal in the morning usually two egg yolks, a small piece of highmeat, about half a pound/ two thirds pound of whatever red meat I have on hand, with a bite of lamb fat.

For lunch I may eat about a half pound of fatty meat, it seems that if I eat more it ruins my apatite for dinner, but if I don't eat any lunch I get low energy in the late after noon.

For dinner I will start off by chewing on a piece of coconut and drinking some lemon water with a couple of egg yolks, while I am cutting up the main course, then I wait about half and hour to eat the main portion, which is usually about a pound of red meat or more with some lamb fat trimmings or bone marrow, a small side of some organ meat and a small dish of coconut butter.
[/quote] this is what my typical dinner looks like. Sometimes I will still be hungry after my main dinner plate is finished and I will eat a late night snack.

I am  newcomer to this raw paleo thing, just past the one year mark, but it seemed like within a few months of experimenting I instinctively fell into a basic low carb diet that works for me. I try to keep it uncomplicated and affordable as my cravings allow.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:24:00 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk