Author Topic: Apple, Apples, An Apple A Day Keeps the Dr. Away  (Read 16668 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Apple, Apples, An Apple A Day Keeps the Dr. Away
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:32:09 am »
Please contribute what you can about the good news about apples.
Where to get them, what they are good for, how much to eat, what to eat, varieties, etc.

For example:

I use apples and apple juice to soften livers, make livers flow, people have cirrhotic livers, liver stones, liver muck, they need apple juice or apples to make their liver flow.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Apple, Apples, An Apple A Day Keeps the Dr. Away
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:35:36 am »
Well, I get apples all the time here in the UK as it is a staple fruit here. I guess I mainly buy them because it is much more difficult to overindulge in them than fruits like bananas. I also occasionally buy raw apple cider vinegar as it is way healthier for me than various other processed sauces.

Only negative thing re apples is that apple seeds contain cyanide but one would have to chew each seed to break it open and eat many, many handfuls of such chewed-up seeds to get any cyanide poisoning.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:39:59 am »
You can get some apples at my house gs. I have an apple tree that grows way to many apples to eat by myself and my family doesn't eat them.

@TD
The whole cyanide issue is wrong. Some people actually believe apple seeds cure cancer because healthy cells can produce an enzyme that keeps it from harming them. Cancerous cells apparently lose their ability to produce the enzyme and are killed.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:42:18 am »
I can handle one or two crab apples and other small varieties of apples once in a while pretty well, but that may be because they're so tiny. I don't handle standard-size apples well. An apple a day brings the doctor to me instead of keeps him away. :( It stinks, because I love apples. I try not to think about them too much. My local market sells crab apples and other small varieties and also sells some tiny seckel pears that I can buy a couple of once in a while as a treat. Unfortunately the crab apples are only sold in bags, which would be too many for me, but during the summer I grab a crab apple now and then off of the trees in the city. The people just let them rot, so I don't think they'd mind. Some are as small as cherries.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:48:32 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:59:10 am »
Tyler, do you know about the pesticide use on apples, if one doesn't buy Organic? Is it ok to buy non-organic apples?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:41:55 am »
Miles in America non-organic apples have just about the most pesticides then every other fruit.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:54:41 am »
Tyler, do you know about the pesticide use on apples, if one doesn't buy Organic? Is it ok to buy non-organic apples?
  Well, I can only speak for myself in this regard. I do not suffer anywhere near as badly from low-quality raw fruits than I do from really low-quality raw meats.  I avoid tesco organic fruit like the plague due to a past deeply unpleasant experience re vomiting endlessly, but nonorganic raw fruit from local corner-shops seems fine to me. I used to buy only organic fruit from Waitrose but a past shifting of my residence meant I had to buy nonorganic fruit and it turned out OK. I still buy some semi-organic raw fruit from my local farmer's market(such as medlars etc.) but it is such a hassle to carry off both raw meat and raw fruit that I prefer mostly to just buy the raw meat at such markets and buy nonorganic fruits from localcorner-shops(they seem better than supermarket fare, except the organic range in supermarkets).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaganAngel

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:11:09 pm »

I'm doing my 6th Liver flush tomorrow so i have been drinking a lot of bottled australian apple juice for the past 5days.  I would prefer juicing the raw apple but i'm worried that the apples we have here in the philippines have high pesticide residue bec almost all of them are imported ( and a lot of them come from china!).  When i do eat apples i always peel them first. I'd probably consume more of them if i knew of a reliable way to clean them of any chemicals. Does anyone have any tips?  :)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 02:37:13 pm »
I get them only from my orchards. 100% organic.
Currently I eat Jonathan apples - http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7234/img634011.jpg
I really like their tartness and aroma. :)
They're very resistant to coldness, so that you can pick them from the trees even in the snowy winter.
Only negative thing re apples is that apple seeds contain cyanide 
They contain very healthful vitamin b17 (amygdalin), which has got antitumor properties
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:42:43 pm by Hannibal »
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Louna

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »
In my fruitarian path, I didn't eat any apples for a year as I don't like very much them.
But in april they were no others fruits available and so I had no choice.
I bought an extractor and choose best quality apples.
I found this so good that I finally live on mostly apples for several months !
I like the taste, also the fact that's this fruit is quite sweet for the glycemie. They are not very stimulated fruits but well balanced and contains not so many vitamins and co as the others fruits but good taste and full of water.

If I eat many apples, I don't like to have all this pulp in me and feel better with juice, if I eat it very slowly or add some water/cukes.

I've also made 3 livers flush and wow so much stones were ejected ! Since this time I more abble to know what food fit for me and I feel more energic.
PaganAngel, give us some news please !

My favorite apples ? The red ones, crunchy and sweety, and the yellow ones, sweety and sweety :) But first the better fruits depends on the quality, not so much in the variety.
I prefer the little fruits, texture is the best generally.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:23:45 pm »
Louna what kind of flush did you do?

Offline Louna

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 04:36:10 pm »
Kind of Dr CLark I think.

Apples juice during many das (many months for me  :D)

The fatal day :
Chloride magnesium (Nigari), 2 two "shoot"  two-hours  intervals.
Two hours after a big glass straight one of Oliver oil and grapefruit.
Lying direct one the right side with big pillows under the head and shoulder.
Next morning another Nigar glass the worst for me  -v  I didn't took it for the second and third times.
And after came the aliens stones...

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 07:03:43 am »
Apples have many cultivators. I eat the less-acidic ones. Here in NY there's a Russian variety called beliy naliv and it's the most suitable and easiest to digest, sometimes it's compared to ginger gold which is also good. Other varieties I eat are gala, golden delicious, red delicious etc.

I usually peel the skin as I'm sensitive to fiber.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 09:29:00 am »
Thanks for sharing which apples you handle best, Moonstalker. Some of those I haven't tried, so I may try one or two if I see them. I handle Granny Smith worst of all the ones I've tried--probably because they are very acidic and tend to be pretty big (though they do vary in size, of course).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 09:58:47 am »
When I was eating apples I had a preference for Fujis, Braeburns, & Jona-Golds. Macintosh were nice as well but if I overdid them I'd get indigestion.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 06:10:10 am »
I think apples are great, if you can consistently eat them. I would prefer to eat them on a consistent basis, I tend to go through phases with apples. I wish I ate them more.

Offline Predator

• Scavenger
  • Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 04:31:33 pm »
I like apples but if I eat one on an empty it will usually make my stomach feel strange and make me feel a bit light headed.  It must be cleansing me (as the raw vegans would say)  :D

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 10:33:24 am »
Lotsa apple lovers here  :D I loved ripe apples so delicious but they always make me itch and my tongue itch and my lips get a bit swollen.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 01:19:07 pm »
Have you ever eaten some wild apples? I myself have not, because I couldn't find them. But they exist in Poland.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Predator

• Scavenger
  • Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 03:05:43 pm »
I think I tried wild apples once; found some trees in a park which had small apples on them. They tasted bitter although I'm color blind so even though it was apple season maybe they weren't fully ripe yet  -\

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 03:23:02 pm »
I think I tried wild apples once; found some trees in a park which had small apples on them. They tasted bitter although I'm color blind so even though it was apple season maybe they weren't fully ripe yet  -\
The original apple, the crap apple, is very bitter even when fully ripe.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 06:11:52 am »
Michael Pollen in his book "Botany of Desire tells a very extensive history of apples with excellent stories such as the real Johnny Appleseed story, where apples originated (one of the 'istan countries. Maybe uzbecistan sp.?) I highly recommend that book and indeed any of his books. ( "Omnivores Dilemma" etc.)

If you plant an apple seed you will not get any apples that look remotely like what you started with. Apple trees typically have a wide variety of apple types on the tree with various sizes. The varieties of apples were discovered on individual branches and then each one was grafted onto another tree to propagate that variety. So if you have a Macintosh in your hand, it is a direct descendant of the tree in Dundas County Ontario Canada. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntosh_(apple)

Johnny Appleseed was quite the character. He was popular with the aboriginals and the whites. He walked barefoot all year in the snow etc. People liked him because the apple trees made apple cider which was a treat due to the absence of alcohol. He was vegan BTW
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 07:27:15 am »
I've eaten crab apples purchased at my local healthfood market that were sweeter tasting than many larger varieties. They were labeled "crab apples" on the bag they came in by the grower and indeed looked like crab apples. Friends were hesitant to try them until I assured them that they were sweet and they loved them. I've also sampled crab apples off many different trees and noted quite a variety of tastes. Some were excessively bitter or sour, but not all.

The "fatherland of apples" is Kazakhastan.

“In literal translation Alma-Ata [today known as Almaty, Kazakhstan] means ‘Father of the Apple.’ Thickets of wild apples stretch out in every direction from the city, covering the slopes of the mountains with extensive forests. In contrast to the small, wild apples of the Caucasian Mountains to the west, the wild apples of Kazakhstan are mostly large-fruited varieties, ones that hardly differ in their qualities from fully domesticated ones.” --Nikolay Vavilov, Five Continents, http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/2961/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:34:15 am by PaleoPhil »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk