Author Topic: salt and melted fats  (Read 2972 times)

Offline a87.pal

• Trapper
    • View Profile
salt and melted fats
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:46:34 am »
im trying zero carb again and have a few questions for you guys:

1) how much salt/minerals (if any) should I be consuming? And from what sources (salt, seaweed, organs, eggs, lemon)? Is it better to be consumed with water or with meat? Also how do you calibrate if you are getting enough salt/minerals and water?

2) for some reason melted suet tastes really good to me and seems easier to digest. Other than time savings, is there any reason to avoid gently heating the fat to improve its taste (to me) and digestibility (for me)? Or more specifically, has anyone seen health benefits from switching to raw suet from heated suet. I know Lex switched from raw to cooked and his health has continued to improve. But who knows if it would have improved faster if raw.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: salt and melted fats
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:00:10 am »
For minerals - eat sea salt with meat and wait for it to dissolve into the meat for a few minutes.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: salt and melted fats
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:36:28 am »
My best guess is that our ancestors got most of their salt from the blood of animals (and salt licks were probably a secondary source), but unfortunately blood is drained from most of the meats sold in the USA. I was tested as having very low urinary salt levels (likely due to the absence of added salt in my diet at the time) and more importantly I found I can eat more meat and more quickly if I add salt (which is helpful given my underweight), so I do use some sea salt and I also eat small amounts of kelp.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk